Best Ged song intro on live album?

laughedatbytime

All Rush fans know that Ged is the master of addressing the crowd between songs at shows. My question is: Which is your favorite Ged ad lib between songs on a live album?

Mine has to be "this is a song about a car" on ESL (just saw it in another thread and memories came flooding back), but "somebody told me that you guys like this one song, so decided we'd better play it here in Brazil" from Rush at Rio is up there too.

Any particular favorites?

Edited by laughedatbytime

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but i'm not a great fan of Geddy's rehearsed between song banter, i suppose it's functional but i would rather hear something more spontaneous however it's fine, it serves it's purpose so i'm not that bothered! Saying he's the master is stretching things a bit though! Edited by New Digital Man

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Jan 22 2012, 04:51 PM)
I'm sorry but i'm not a great fan of Geddy's rehearsed between song banter, i suppose it's functional but i would rather hear something more spontaneous however it's fine, it serves it's purpose so i'm not that bothered! Saying he's the master is stretching things a bit though!

My thoughts exactly,the whole" thanks for comin out" and "we got about a thousand songs to do " is sooo done.

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Jan 22 2012, 03:51 PM)
Saying he's the master is stretching things a bit though!

Please activate your sarcasm detector...

Geddy's "banter" is so stilted and forced that it's comical.

I still prefer it to Springsteen's 5 minute stories, though.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jan 22 2012, 05:23 PM)
QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Jan 22 2012, 03:51 PM)
Saying he's the master is stretching things a bit though!

Please activate your sarcasm detector...

Geddy's "banter" is so stilted and forced that it's comical.

I still prefer it to Springsteen's 5 minute stories, though.

But both pale in comparison to Peter Gabriel's stories with Genesis in the early 70s.

"I am Britannia!"

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Jan 22 2012, 06:16 PM)
QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Jan 22 2012, 04:51 PM)
I'm sorry but i'm not a great fan of Geddy's rehearsed between song banter, i suppose it's functional but i would rather hear something more spontaneous however it's fine, it serves it's purpose so i'm not that bothered! Saying he's the master is stretching things a bit though!

My thoughts exactly,the whole" thanks for comin out" and "we got about a thousand songs to do " is sooo done.

I agree as well.

Although when I saw them in Hartford in early December 1985, before they played Middletown Dreams he said something along the lines of, "This is next song is about a place, I believe there's one not too far from here". Referring to Middletown, CT which was pretty close to Hartford. He didn't say it the night before in New Haven and he didn't when they played Springfield, Mass a few months later....But other than that...The intro's are form letters.

"Hello Oregonians" while playing the Sleep Country Amphitheater in Ridgefield (just north of Vancouver), WASHINGTON

(OK, in fairness, he's not the first guy in a band to say the same thing and the venue is located in what is basically a suburb of Portland, OR)

I love the fact that the 2 times I've seen them at The Gorge Amphitheater that he has mentioned what a beautiful place it is (cuz it's true).

Yeah Geddys banter is very rehearsed and always has been. I guess its better than..."I wanna see every muthafooker raise their hands!!"

I always like to do the Aerosmith-on-the-Simpsons thing...

"HELLLLLLOOOOO St Louis!!!

Uh...thats Springfield Steven.

Oh, yeah...

ARE YOU READY TO ROCK?" lol

QUOTE (jacklifeson @ Jan 22 2012, 08:07 PM)
I guess its better than..."I wanna see every muthafooker raise their hands!!"

Or "I can't fuckking hear you" (Ozzy), over and over and over and......

(and I like the Ozzman a lot)

The best has to be Spinal Tap in the Simpsons....

"you know the other day we were going down route...... FOUR OH ONE!"

"and we thought they knew how to rock in Shelbyville."

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

"But we know nobody rocks like" *looks at the name of the city on the back of his guitar* "SPRINGFIELD!"

"Goodnight Springdun, there will be no encores"

QUOTE (BigBob @ Jan 23 2012, 12:47 AM)
You know what would be a sweet intro...

Geddy :"abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwx YYZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" 1022.gif

goodpost.gif

rofl3.gif

I like this one!

But seriously, I like that Geddy doesn't force the banter. Half the time when musicians do that it just comes off as disingenuous. I think that is the beauty of RUSH. They are simple. They make music (well the music can be complicated) but then when they come to play it, well...they play it. They don't wax poetic for 10 mins and waste time when all you want to do is hear them play. Nothing pisses me off more than listening to a musician do a 5 minute intro, and half the time you can't understand them, when they could have just played another song!

So with that said, I think the classic has to be. "This is a song about a car, this is called Red Barchetta" It's 4 seconds long and it's all I really need to know! Of course hearing those opening notes, I don't really need to have any intro!

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jan 22 2012, 05:23 PM)
a-one two three FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUR

This one is my favourite! One of the best count-ins ever!

Or, how about the time where Geddy reprimands the pushy crowd at a late-70s concert? It's a nearly two-minute track from the concert's album of Geddy saying things like, "The stage is going to collapse if you keep pushing, and it's going to be a bummer." And there's some Geddy ad-libbing that surely he didn't rehearse as a banter form-letter beforehand!

QUOTE (greyfriar @ Jan 23 2012, 05:32 AM)
-This is 'The Spirit Of Radio'- from ESL
-One, Two, Buckle my shoe-from ATWAS

one two what?

which song intro was this? confused13.gif