"Rough" days for an oldschool Rush purist!

GeminiRising79

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 15 2012, 12:46 PM)
And last but not least, a domineering/controlling lyricist holding the band and fans hostage with his malignant hobby philosophy.

yeah, that's pretty much the only part I agree with. I want happy Neil back. You'd think having a new baby girl would have eased him up some

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Jan 15 2012, 07:49 PM)
And last but not least, a domineering/controlling lyricist holding the band and fans hostage with  his malignant hobby philosophy.

yeah, that's pretty much the only part I agree with. I want happy Neil back. You'd think having a new baby girl would have eased him up some

Yeah, you'd think having another kid would make him give up the beliefs that he's held for the past 50-something years... or at least make him not want to write about them.

What a dick that guy is.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 16 2012, 02:46 AM)
Substandard recording qualities of weak material
Over-reliance on misaligned third-party directional coaches
Over-reliance on computer technologies/electronics
Overlayering
Overproduction

Endless barrage of commercial media containing the aforementioned

And last but not least, a domineering/controlling lyricist holding the band and fans hostage with  his malignant hobby philosophy.

Note:these are my genuine thoughts. Please- no flaming!

http://www.dippold.org/startrek/serien/tos/pics/3_15_3.jpg

Don't persecute me!

http://www.dippold.org/startrek/serien/tos/pics/3_15_17.jpg

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Jan 15 2012, 09:49 PM)

When was Neil ever happy? rofl3.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 15 2012, 01:46 PM)
Overlayering
Overproduction

And last but not least, a domineering/controlling lyricist holding the band and fans hostage with his malignant hobby philosophy.

what does this mean?

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 16 2012, 10:19 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 15 2012, 01:46 PM)
Overlayering
Overproduction

what does this mean?

It means Gemini is a little off with his assessments. His points are worded a little vaguely so I'll tread carefully:

Substandard recording qualities of weak material: If you don't like the material on S&A, that's fine. Sound quality and production-wise, it's one of the band's best.

Over-reliance on misaligned third-party directional coaches: Meaning, no one but Terry Brown will do!

Over-reliance on computer technologies/electronics: S&A had too much of the Chorus Of Geddys that they had to trigger live. I didn't like that either. Otherwise, the live sample triggering doesn't seem like a big deal.

Overlayering: The band keeps talking about the stripped-down production of the new album, and S&A is less layered than VT (except for the Chorus Of Geddys), so they seem to be moving away from the overproduced sound.

Overproduction: Redundant. See above.

Endless barrage of commercial media containing the aforementioned: Huh? You talking about the live CDs and DVDs?

And last but not least, a domineering/controlling lyricist holding the band and fans hostage with his malignant hobby philosophy. Yes, Alex and Geddy and millions of fans can't think for themselves, and we are all brainwashed automatons being controlled by Neil via MK Ultra. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/gifs/hypnotized2.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jan 15 2012, 01:12 PM)
If all that's true then why bother with them anymore? Really, there's better things to do than fret over a band that's moved in direction you don't like.

This is a good point. There are several bands that I have "gotten off the bus" with for reasons such as a change of direction. Dream Theater lost me after Scenes...Yes lost me with Open Your Eyes...Though I like the new album and Magnification. Queensryche lost me with whatever that was that followed Hear in the Now...(fantastic album by the way). If I did not like what Rush was doing, I would get off the bus with them. I'm not going to lie, Feedback was a difficult pill to swallow. I like enough of S&A to stay on board. Looking forward...and this from an old school type myself.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 16 2012, 06:38 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jan 15 2012, 01:12 PM)
If all that's true then why bother with them anymore? Really, there's better things to do than fret over a band that's moved in direction you don't like.

This is a good point. There are several bands that I have "gotten off the bus" with for reasons such as a change of direction. Dream Theater lost me after Scenes...Yes lost me with Open Your Eyes...Though I like the new album and Magnification. Queensryche lost me with whatever that was that followed Hear in the Now...(fantastic album by the way). If I did not like what Rush was doing, I would get off the bus with them. I'm not going to lie, Feedback was a difficult pill to swallow. I like enough of S&A to stay on board. Looking forward...and this from an old school type myself.

You two guys are being entirely too open-minded and reasonable. And you call yourselves Rush fans? eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jan 15 2012, 02:17 PM)
I say they're the best of the older bands still working, at least to my taste and ears.

I think both their new records and their live shows are better.

WINNER WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER

no band this long in the tooth is gonna surpass their heyday;

that said, RUSH is at an all time high in performance and post-heyday material.

THEY ARE THE LAST OF THE ORIGINAL CLASSIC HARD RAWK BANDS THAT ARE STILL RELEVANT AND PERFORMING AT A HIGH LEVEL,

and the rest of us here are grateful.

Edited by Brooks

QUOTE (SignatureAurora75 @ Jan 17 2012, 01:54 PM)
Either you're a troll, or the underlying cause of your grief is the fact that Peart is an atheist. Deal with it.

He's a troll.

And this thread will go on for a few more pages as more and more people jump in to respond to him without reading the rest of the thread. He's been pulling this crap for quite a long time, disappeared for a while, and now he's back. <sarcasm> Thank god. </sarcasm>

Overlayering
Overproduction

rofl3.gif Haha this post trolls so hard, I almost feel some kind of deep respect for Gemini... or am i just going crazy!? confused13.gif