xanadu

tel

Xanadu,possibly THE definitive rush song,also one of the bands most popular songs and im pretty sure the most played song from the 70s era.

Missing from the time machine setlist....so what gives?? wtf.gif

i know a lot of people will say "Ged can no longer sing it" but im sure with a little tweeking here and there it is within his realms.

Was it Xanadu or Jacob's Ladder that they were going to include during the last tour until they tried to play it and felt that they couldn't do a convincing enough job on it? (i.e. they weren't "feeling" it?)

I had heard them mention in interviews before that they pull things out that they think they want to play, but when they get to the rehearsal, it either doesn't feel right, or just doesn't fit at the time.

Shame, I'd love to hear Xanadu again! (as well as Jacob's Ladder)

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Jan 8 2012, 07:56 PM)
Was it Xanadu or Jacob's Ladder that they were going to include during the last tour until they tried to play it  and felt that they couldn't do a convincing enough job on it?  (i.e. they weren't "feeling" it?)

I had heard them mention in interviews before that they pull things out that they think they want to play, but when they get to the rehearsal, it either doesn't feel right, or just doesn't fit at the time.

Shame, I'd love to hear Xanadu again! (as well as Jacob's Ladder)

I heard it was Jacobs Ladder, I would love to hear both live!

Edited by LyndseyG

They only played one long song, Camera Eye, on the TM tour. They have played Xanadu a lot. It has been included on many tours since the late 70s as a whole or part of a medley. It just didn't fit this time and they may also be tired of playing it. Songs are going to come and go in the set list until they quit touring.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jan 8 2012, 04:07 PM)
They only played one long song, Camera Eye, on the TM tour. They have played Xanadu a lot. It has been included on many tours since the late 70s as a whole or part of a medley. It just didn't fit this time and they may also be tired of playing it. Songs are going to come and go in the set list until they quit touring.

agreed but i dont see them dropping tom sawyer /spirit of radio/working man/2112/limelight.

Xanadu is right up there with all these classics (imo) sad.gif

I would love to see it live 1 more time

QUOTE (tel @ Jan 9 2012, 01:18 PM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jan 8 2012, 04:07 PM)
They only played one long song, Camera Eye, on the TM tour.  They have played Xanadu a lot.  It has been included on many tours since the late 70s as a whole or part of a medley.  It just didn't fit this time and they may also be tired of playing it.  Songs are going to come and go in the set list until they quit touring.

agreed but i dont see them dropping tom sawyer /spirit of radio/working man/2112/limelight.

Xanadu is right up there with all these classics (imo) sad.gif

They could drop all those from the set list and I'd be a happy guy. I'm getting a little weary of dropping $50-$150 for a ticket to see a show that's 80% the same from tour to tour. Add Closer to the Heart and Subdivisions to that list and we'll be headed in the right direction.

I saw them do it on the R30 tour and it was one of my favorite concerts moments ever. I can see them bringing it back for another tour. As far as this whole "played out" thing goes, i've seen them 8 times yet have only heard it once live. It's certainly not played out as far as i'm concerned.

QUOTE (Dylan2712 @ Jan 24 2012, 02:39 AM)
If they bring it back once again, they've got to play it on the double-necks. that'd be damn awesome. laugh.gif

Only trouble is, Alex gave or sold a doubleneck to a guy in another band (both the guy's and the band's name escape me...someone help me out). If it was the one he used for Xanadu (and I think it was)... sad.gif

Not only do I wish they would bring it back, but I wish they would play the whole thing instead of condensing it down to barely over half of its normal length. That intro is too awesome to just skip over like it shouldn't even be there, and the same goes for the ending.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jan 24 2012, 08:35 PM)
If they bring it back once again, they've got to play it on the double-necks. that'd be damn awesome. laugh.gif

Only trouble is, Alex gave or sold a doubleneck to a guy in another band (both the guy's and the band's name escape me...someone help me out). If it was the one he used for Xanadu (and I think it was)... sad.gif

He could (and its just an idea) maybe BUY ANOTHER? bolt.gif

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jan 25 2012, 01:35 AM)

Didn't he have one nicked at one point?

Only trouble is, Alex gave or sold a doubleneck to a guy in another band (both the guy's and the band's name escape me...someone help me out). If it was the one he used for Xanadu (and I think it was)... 

Didn't he have one nicked at one point?

I believe that was the old one from the Xanadu video that you are thinking about, wasn't it red? He gave that to Eric Johnson, I believe, and one of Johnson's roadies stole it and sold it for drugs.

Al has the white double-neck that he uses now, he used it on the R30 tour.

And I agree, Ged needs to break out his double-neck! 1022.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Jan 25 2012, 07:01 AM)

He could (and its just an idea) maybe BUY ANOTHER? bolt.gif

Excellent point.

Lerxst, if you are reading this, here is a useful link:

EDS-1275

I too would love to see Xanadu live at least one more time. I have seen it several times, but it is such a wonderful tune. I think it would loose some of its magic if it were played every tour, but it has been a while. Time for its return!!!!

He GAVE it to the hipster in that ridiculous band?? The guitar is a historical piece and it is being used for bullsh!t? I am visibly angry! Has Alex become stupid? Please, someone tell me this is untrue.

I'm trying to enjoy myself in Montreal and now I'm incensed!

Edited by GeminiRising79