Fear trilogy

liddybuck01

should Rush play the full Fear trilogy(including pt. 4) on the next tour?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. should Rush play the full Fear trilogy(including pt. 4) on the next tour?

• yes!
    • no way!
    • yes, but without pt. 4

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Dec 18 2011, 08:36 PM)
Witch Hunt is a good song , but not a 4 tours in a row good song.

Unlike many Rush songs that grew on me from hearing them live, Witch Hunt has withered! I started out thinking it was okay, now I find it utterly yawnsome, which is frustrating given its really quite brilliant lyrics.

I'd love to hear The Enemy Within and The Weapon, and wouldn't mind either hearing or not hearing Freeze, but please, please not bloody Witch Hunt again!

QUOTE (Babycat @ Dec 19 2011, 01:10 AM)
Is this the same Fear Trilogy where some guy makes an introduction and pretty much howls like a wolf for some strange reason before the songs start?

You're thinking of the right trilogy. Count Floyd's shtick used to precede the second part (The Weapon).

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Dec 19 2011, 07:51 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Dec 19 2011, 01:10 AM)
Is this the same Fear Trilogy where some guy makes an introduction and pretty much howls like a wolf for some strange reason before the songs start?

You're thinking of the right trilogy. Count Floyd's shtick used to precede the second part (The Weapon).

I thought that was him - I couldn't think of his name at first. Thanks, Cyclonus! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The Weapon is a good song, but I would never want to hear it live. The song has no energy to it, perfect for putting an audience to sleep. I don't want to hear Witch Hunt again. I couldn't care for Freeze. I wouldn't mind hearing The Enemy Within on it's own.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Dec 19 2011, 08:36 AM)
The Weapon is a good song, but I would never want to hear it live. The song has no energy to it, perfect for putting an audience to sleep...

^ I can attest to the exact opposite

that song in particular elevated that concert (October 1984) from phenomenal to truly transcendent

it was the moment in the show when I realized Rush was more than just a technically proficient rock band, live - they were capable of building cinematic atmospheres that could transport you (Xanadu, La Villa, The Camera Eye, Mystic Rhythms, Scars all work similarly for me)

it's always made sense to me that The Analog Kid is followed by The Weapon on Signals (much like Freewill is followed by Jacob's Ladder on PeW)

that yin/yang of fast-paced, high energy overplaying buffeted by a song with lots of space between the notes - it's a refined, harder-edged version of what Yes and Genesis were capable of at their best, and one of the principal reasons I'm a fan of all three bands

Edited by ghostworks

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 19 2011, 09:10 AM)
The Weapon is a good song, but I would never want to hear it live. The song has no energy to it, perfect for putting an audience to sleep...

that song in particular elevated that concert (October 1984) from phenomenal to truly transcendent

it was the moment in the show when I realized Rush was more than just a technically proficient rock band, live - they were capable of building cinematic atmospheres that could transport you (Xanadu, La Villa, The Camera Eye, Mystic Rhythms, Scars all work similarly for me)

it's always made sense to me that The Analog Kid is followed by The Weapon on Signals (much like Freewill is followed by Jacob's Ladder on PeW)

that yin/yang of fast-paced, high energy overplaying buffeted by a song with lots of space between the notes - it's a refined, harder-edged version of what Yes and Genesis were capable of at their best, and one of the principal reasons I'm a fan of all three bands

Yeah plus Neil keeps repeating that neat little stick toss during the open-hand part!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 19 2011, 10:10 AM)

I stand corrected then. I would have thought the slow tempo would kill the mood rather than create it. I still don't want to hear them all played live.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 19 2011, 11:35 AM)
QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Dec 19 2011, 11:54 AM)
Of course!

EDIT: ACK! Who's voting no????

people who hate Rush (they're members here, too)

Oh, come now. I voted no because I'm sick to death of Witch Hunt. Doesn't mean I don't love the band.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 19 2011, 09:10 AM)

I really like the comparison you're making with those pairings, but doesn't The Weapon follow Digital Man on Signals?

Nah. Just give me The Enemy Within and The Weapon

ok yes, sorry about the "trilogy" thing. i could've swore it said "trilogy" on the VT booklet, but i was wrong.

but yeah, i hear you guys about Witch Hunt. it used to be one of my favorites but now I'm kind of sick of it. but hey, if we get these other 3, i can deal with it again. smile.gif

I voted yes, without Pt. IV - Freeze is my least favorite Rush song. Still, I'd go for it and Witch Hunt (which I love, but have heard live already, so would like something different), if that's what it took to get Enemy Within and ESPECIALLY The Weapon.

Oh sure, I'd like to see it, but they shouldn't play it. They definitely need to play Enemy Within (I've been saying that for 15 years). Never a huge fan of The Weapon and Witch Hunt has been repeated the last couple of tours. Edited by GeddyLeeRoth