Are there songs that you prefer the live versions?

USB Connector

I'm just curious if people prefer live versions of certain songs to their studio counterparts.

2112 (Different Stages) - It sounds darker and sounds great. I'm also a little sick of hearing the studio version thanks to a research paper I did on it while in CEGEP for a humanities class.

Leave that Thing Alone (Different Stages/Live in Cleveland) - I find it just sounds so much better live than it does in studio. DS has a great balance between instruments with emphasis on bass and Cleveland has that bass solo which I really enjoy.

Presto (Live in Cleveland) - It has something the original doesn't. I don't want to say balls but it's the best way I can describe what's missing.

Resist (Rush in Rio) - I love this acoustic piece. I find it to be much more emotional than the original.

Xanadu (R30) - I'm not quite sure why. I just enjoy it a little more than the studio version...but not by much.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vital Signs on the Vital Dreams bootleg. Alex plays the riff in the second chorus very differently and it sounds amazing. Plus there's the added guitar solo.

Dreamline on Different Stages, mostly due to the punch of that bass.

La Villa on ESL. The first solo is even better than the studio version! At about 5:10 into the song there's a particular bend in the solo which sounds completely unlike every other time they've played that song and it just adds so much.

By Tor - ATWAS.

Natural Science from the St. Louis 80 show is amazing as well.

Edited by apetersvt

Bastille Day - ATWAS 1022.gif

Leave That Thing Alone - Live in Cleveland

The Pass - Rush in Rio

Closer to the Heart - ASOH especially with the end jam!

Double Agent - A View from the Palace bootleg 1994

I'll be honest. I haven't spent that much time with the live albums as the studio ones. I do play them but mostly when I'm busy doing my housework and therefore I hear them but don't listen as intently as I normally would. I AM GONNA RECTIFY THIS I PROMISE!

Therefore I have only got a couple of these examples:

Faithless - As many of you are aware this is on my list of six Rush songs I'm not that find of, but when I heard it live on Time Machine I was blown away by how much better it sounded live. When I got the Cleveland DVD I was a bit worried that I might not experience it the same as I did back in May. You can only imagine how I felt to discover that I needn't have worried! I sat there on my couch wih the BIGGEST grin my face! I have no idea why I prefer it live. The best way that I can describe it would be to say that there is a "vibe" about the live version that isn't there (for me) on the studio version.

BU2B - Again, another of my "six" that was better live in May than studio, BUT, not as much as Faithless and unfortunately, didn't come across as strong on the DVD as it did that night. Still better though.

Resist from Rush In Rio - USB, I know exactly what you mean. The studio version is a fav, but the live version is more... Soulful to my ears.

Like i said, I'll give the other live albums a proper listen and see if I can come up with any more.

The songs on the St. Louis bootleg from 3/29/80 are imo, better than the studio versions . I still say it is the bands Best live recording that they Never released wink.gif

Just about anything from the St. Louis '80 boot, especially Xanadu and By-Tor. TSOR is also excellent. To me, Rush were really at the height of their powers on that tour. The band was tight as hell, and Ged's voice was still in excellent shape.

QUOTE (ChiliFan @ Dec 12 2011, 03:29 PM)
La Villa on ESL. The first solo is even better than the studio version! At about 5:10 into the song there's a particular bend in the solo which sounds completely unlike every other time they've played that song and it just adds so much.

Totally agree on La Villa. In fact, 5:10 to 5:34 = pure bliss.

I could probably come up with about a bazillion. Right now, I'm really enjoying "Time Stands Still" from Cleveland. I must admit that the studio version bored me after awhile - and I was never that fond of the version from ASOH.

I'm also really liking "The Camera Eye" from Cleveland. Never does eleven minutes go by so fast. I'm sorry that it took a lot of prodding for the guys to finally do this one live, but it was worth the wait.

Yeah, Geddy does sound a bit like a hamster on amphetamines these days, but I really don't care that much.

Clem.

From a personal point of view, these three songs stand out for me the most....

Where's My Thing? (Vital Dreams/NYC '91 boots): This is one song that I would love to see live and have an official live recording one day because I think this version total rocked harder and louder than the puny thin studio version. To add on to the energy this song has live, there's videos floating around where Geddy's hopping around everywhere and getting so into this song. Also I thought the intro they did for this song on the RTB tour was epic.

Animate (R30): I don't know why, but this turned out to be my favorite arrangement of the song even if the full chorus was abridged for the first two choruses and the tempo's slower than in the studio. For some reason, I like the two arrangement changes if they're together but not if it's only one or the other (i.e. slower tempo but full arrangement on DS). I absulutely love the pitch harmonics that Alex does during the 2nd verse, and the punchiness when Geddy's bass chord comes in during the 3rd chorus (the line after "The boy inside of me")

Xanadu (ESL/R30): For the ESL version...I don't have anything else to say other than it's the definitive version of this song live or studio IMO. With the R30 version, I liked how they cut it by half its length yet still able to make it sound close to a full 6 minute song as possible. The R30 version is the closest thing I have from hearing a more recent performance of Xanadu if they decide to never play it live again (which I hope they won't)

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Dec 12 2011, 03:43 PM)
By Tor - ATWAS.

Natural Science from the St. Louis 80 show is amazing as well.

Ill see that, and raise it with:

Anthem-ATWS

La Villa-St Louis

Natural Science-St Louis(the offtime roll was a rare treat)

all HYF songs on ASOH

Earthshine-Rush in Rio

Far Cry any live versions with explosions

Edited by ucsteve667