Music Your Parents Listened To When You Were Young

Tony R

I was reading an article in The Guardian on this this and thought I'd steal the idea...

My dad listened to The Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys, The Who, Elvis, most of popular rock and roll bands like Bill Haley then Status Quo and Rory Gallagher.

I've always liked The Who, but never really gained any lasting love for any of those others. I think hearing Tommy and Who's Next probably pointed me towards Prog. Certainly the first time I heard Genesis and Yes they fit perfectly with my subconscious taste but I also liked the more visceral rock of Hendrix, Zep, Sabs, Purple and then Rush, The Scorps and UFO.

Re-visiting the mid to late Beatles catalogue reminded me that my dad's tastes in music probably did influence my future tastes and certainly the more muscular rock of The Stones probably influenced my interest in Heavy Rock.

Anyone else have a view on the crossover from their parent's musical tastes and their own?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

without a doubt..

Mom played MoodyBlues, Chicago(early 70s here..even she wont listen to the 80s) CSNY, The Band, cat Stevens, Nilsson Derek and the Dominoes

Dad was all Joplin, Zeppelin, bad Company, Joe Cocker, Cream

huge influence

My dad listened to big band jazz,was a musician himself, and got me to play the saxophone in band. He definitely encouraged me to pursue my musical interests, even though he wasn't all that fond of most Rock music.

Christ no.

Irish Rebel Ballads & Country 'n' Irish. It's a miracle I didn't stick knitting needles in my ears.

However, to their immense credit, they knew I loved music and bought me a record player when I was 3 or 4, and were always buying singles, from Cozy Powell's Dance With The Devil to Steeleye Span to Mud.

My elder brother was my key influence, The Pistols, early Adam & The Ants, Floyd, Kraftwerk, Quo, The Police and many more.

When I was about 12, I was a huge Kiss fan. My mother hated them. She took me to see the show Beatlemania at the Shubert Theatre in Boston to try and change my interests. I've been a huge Beatles' fan ever since.

Funnily enough, I remember my mother walking around the house one day a few years later singing, almost absentmindedly, "I'm going off the rails on a Crazy Train."

Not one bit. My dad listened exclusively to C&W and I despised it. My older sister is the one who got me into bands like The Beatles, LZ, Grand Funk, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, and of course Jethro Tull. I took it from there and found Yes, RUSH, KISS, Kansas, etc. on my own.

My dad is one of the biggest Rolling Stones fans ever. When I was a kid I used to listen to his old Stones vinyls all the time. While they're not my favorite band ever they still remain a band I like very much and still listen to with some regularity. There was also a lot of other classic rock I got into because of my dads old records like Zeppelin, Bob Seger and ZZ Top.

My mom wasn't that huge of an influence on what I listen to. She did like a lot of the same stuff my dad did but she also liked a lot of that poppy, lovey dovey crap.

My older brother and his friends are actually the biggest influence on what I listen to now. They were always listening to stuff like Sabbath, Ozzy, The Big Four, Maiden, Priest, Alice Cooper, King Diamond, Testament ect. They hooked me young on metal and i've been a metalhead since I was 10 years old.

I wish. My dad's favorite record (keeping in mind I was born in '75) was Kenny Rogers' The Gambler. My mom's favorite record was something by ABBA (I forget now which one). They had other records, too - Linda Rondstat, Crystal Gayle, Alabama, John Denver, Pat Benatar (the least terrible of the bunch), Oliva Newton John...

Ugh. Just... ugh.

35ish years later, my mom asked me to download some songs for her. She asked for...

...wait for it...

Kid Rock, Aerosmith and ZZ Top.

If there was ever a reason to use the WTF icon, this is it.

wtf.gif

Yes, definitely. There are only a handful of bands/artists my folks like that I don't. I consider myself blessed to have parents with such good musical taste... generally speaking, of course. tongue.gif My mom is a huge AC/DC and Kiss fan, and I'm not that big on either of those groups... I mean, I like them, but not as much as her.

My dad and I probably have the most similar tastes. He's the one who got me into RUSH and REO Speedwagon... and most of the records in the basement are his. He kind of likes country but not too much, which is okay with me, because I get enough country from my roommate. wacko.gif

I should add that they also got me into musicals - particularly my dad. I remember when I was about seven my dad played bass with the orchestra for the annual church musical (Godspell that year) and I was mesmerized by the whole production. The next year I was on stage for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by CMWriter

Negative! My parents hated rock music. I grew up listening to Classical, Opera, Lawrence Wreck, and even worse than that, musicals.

I got my taste for music from my older brothers and the radio.

I was born in 80 so I was very familiar with what MTV was playing. My mom loved Annie Lennox/Eurythmics and my dad raised me on Van Halen. I remember he also had Huey Lewis' Sports album and Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits when I was young.

My mom had some John Mellencamp albums as well as Heart's 1985 album.

Nope..not at all. My Mom has listened to classical music

her whole life,and has played the piano and organ for

many yrs.She'll be 79 next April.Her mother(my grandmother)

was a trained classical pianist.She did like alot of the 60's music,though.

My dad listened to 40's big band jazz and country.He was a big fan

of Willie Nelson,Johnny Cash, and Elvis,among others.

My 2 older sister's were Beatle-Mania fanatic's, and got me into

60's pop/Rock and Roll.I still think the 60's/70's is the best music,

overall.The 80's did have it's moments, however.

I was lucky in as much as I had friends who had older brothers who bought records that I came to love. Certainly the advent of home-taping on cassettes opened up a world of music exploration that was no longer inhibited by my lack of funds.

Well... yes.

If if wasn't for my parents, I would be on a Eminem forum right now, jamming to rap like some no-life tool. angry.gif

Actually, I've gone so far beyond what my parents listen to that they barely know half my music. My dad likes the more popular rock and metal bands from the late 70s, like Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Rush, and AC/DC. My mom is more into 70s pop, although she likes Prog more than my dad, and likes her fair share of Rush, too.

On vacation last year in Moab, Utah, I got In the Court of the Crimson King from the local music store. I was super excited: first Crimson album so I made them play it on the drive back to the airport. When we got to dinner, I asked them what they thought. My mom was like, "Oh yeah, that wasn't bad."

But then my dad (remember, huge Zep and Rush fan) just shook his head and just quickly expressed his dislike.

b_sigh.gif

I was born in '95 so I grew up listening to rock and country. My dad's a huge fan of Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Bruce Springsteen, Ted Nugent, and a bunch of modern country while my mom likes stuff like Elton John, Cat Stevens, David Cassidy, and modern country.

The only bands that I really like because of my parents are a few classic rock bands. I discovered most of the music I like myself. My parents hate Rush and most other prog bands so I definitely didn't take after them.

Also, my parents hate Jethro Tull with a passion. I don't know what it is, but they absolutely refuse to even try to listen to them. It figures that they're one of my favorites.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

Most definitely. As a 21 year old, you would think I would listen to the stuff today. Instead, I love all the classics of the 70s and 80s. My Dad's favorite band is probably Boston and Kansas, and that rubbed off on me. They're probably in my top 3 bands, behind 1.) Rush and 2.) Fleetwood Mac. I'm also into New Wave mostly because of my Mom. Ironically though, she now prefers dance music from today. She's more of a dancer than a listener.

But yeah, my parents musical tastes had a HUGE impact on me. I've branched off their influence and wound up in other genres such as prog. Neither of my parents were into prog besides a couple 'hit' songs by Yes, Genesis, and Rush. But now, I'm starting influence my Dad. He knew Tom Sawyer and a few other hits by Rush, but wasn't big into them. He saw them in concert and his view was changed forever. They're almost right up there with Boston

Cool thread idea. Mine are 70s related.

My big sister loved The Beatles, Chicago and R&B like Earth, Wind, and Fire.

Big brother Zep, Sabbath, Grand Funk, Floyd.

Mom Jim Croce, Elvis, anything 50s.

Dad - Hank Sr.

I guess my brother and sister had more influence but I can tolerate or enjoy all of this.