Music Your Parents Listened To When You Were Young

Tony R

Dad listens to what you would expect someone who was a teenager in the late '60s to listen to. He had a lot of influence indirectly -- in my middle school years I began browsing his CD collection and got introduced to prog via bands like Yes, King Crimson and Pink Floyd.

Mom listens mostly to classical. This influence was felt, but not until much later in my life (around the second half of high school).

Although my broader/larger-picture musical interests have their roots in my parents', they aren't necessarily a direct carbon copy of them. For example the kinds of classical that I enjoy and the kind sof classical that my mother enjoys are almost polar opposites/inverse to each other. And of course, certain genres are entirely overlooked by my parents. Neither of them is responsible for getting me into any sort of jazz, metal, ska, electronic music, etc...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mom never has been very musical, but my dad has always liked it and played drums in high school. He listened to a lot of Swing/Big Band stuff while I was growing up, stuff like Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman. I hated it and he hated The Beatles and the stuff I was into. Funny, now all these years later, he digs EARLY Beatles, Beach Boys, etc. and I dig Swing cuz, well, it swings!!

He knows I love Rush though he doesn't know them at all and wouldn't like them (way too hard rock), but when I told him Neil really likes Gene Krupa and played at the Buddy Rich tribute, I think he decided right then and there they had to be OK, at least Neil anyway. Those guys were the drummers from his era and he still likes them a lot.

(I was born in 93') I think my Dad has influenced my tastes a good amount through listening to classic rock radio together. The classic rock radio stations played good bands but here they don't have much variety. They do play blocks of Led Zeppelin though which I am very greatful for. The only rock albums my Dad owned were U2. So a lot of the music I found over the years has been on my own. Youtube has played a HUGE role in me finding music. The bands/artists we listened to that I still enjoy are Led Zeppelin, CCR, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Iona and New age. I did get him into Rush which I am proud of. He had a good time when we went to our first Rush concert back in spring.

I am very pleased how my tastes in music have changed over the years. From Zeppelin being the only band I really got into, to deeply getting into Rush in 08', to getting into Thrash, Death, Heavy, Doom, Black and Power Metal in 10' and 11'. While still listening to synth era Rush, Glam metal, 90's/ early 2000's rock and other stuff.

Edited by Force X