Rush will NEVER make the RRHOF

rushgoober

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Nov 27 2011, 04:40 PM)
QUOTE (MMCXII @ Nov 27 2011, 11:07 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Nov 27 2011, 06:54 AM)
I was talking about what Metallica did for metal.

They redefined it and popularized it. That's what they are known for and is a significant accomplishment. Not many bands ever get to do something like that. What genre is Rush known for changing or heavily influencing? None really.

Progressive Metal. Rush basically created it.

Wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHeI_4MfzsI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrVvSaUkbI

National Acrobat rules...

Looking for Today always reminded me of this song, the style at least

Edited by ucsteve667

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 27 2011, 12:10 PM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Nov 27 2011, 05:24 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 27 2011, 02:46 AM)
QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Nov 26 2011, 04:38 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 24 2011, 01:38 PM)
As I said I don't think about the RRHOF. It just doesn't come into my mind. The only time I do think about it is, as I stated already, when I see you and your HOF pals making threads about it on this forum. There's no attitude I have, no nothing. The subject just stay in my mind long enough to induce anything. The only thing I feel is puzzlement over people's obsession with this. This kind of thing just doesn't mean anything to me I suppose.

Why do you care about this anyway? What difference does it make?

RUSH are RUSH whatever accolades some pinstripe suit gives them. Either way it doesn't matter.

Black Sabbath are in the HOF and I don't think of them any differently. In fact I didn't even know they were in till recently. But now that I do know, I don't listen to them with some new sense of vicarious satisfaction. It makes no difference whatsoever. Nor should it. Only someone with some very strange ideas would think that it would.

goodpost.gif This about sums it up for me.

I'm used to the fact by now that I strongly disagree with Goobs on just about everything, but as others have said it's a bit shocking that the matter of mainstream acceptance is so important to you. Personally, I like what I like and I don't need my opinions to be validated by anyone else. That you would have preferred they sacrifice their integrity just to get a few more people to like them is baffling to me. Particularly when we all know the band has been plenty successful regardless.

I guess for me there are two reasons it's important.

One is I want them to get respect. Ever since I was a fan in 1981 I've heard people putting down this band, both personally and in the media. I want them to get the credit they deserve.

Two is I don't share the philosophy that "the band has been plenty successful regardless." I believe they deserve to be heard by as many people as possible, and then they can judge for themselves whether they like them or not. To keep them as the biggest underground cult band keeps them in a "our little secret" category. I've never liked that. Great music is meant to be shared, not hoarded.

Just my opinion. Probably as unpopular as always. tongue.gif

Goobs, this is by far the weirdest view of yours Ive encountered...

I would love for them to get more accolades and such, but not at the expense of their own integrity. which they clearly felt that way too

I don't want them to sacrifice their integrity, but their integrity to me is inconsistent. They didn't do television interviews for years and years, didn't play the media game that could have made their music much more popular. Then in recent years a huge shift, and they're all over the tv and media, doing the things that they wouldn't do for a long time. BUT, it's too late! I mean, yes, they've gotten some credit for their longevity and status as rock legends (to a degree), but many years after they were making the quality of music that would have put them in the upper echelons.

Now their music either isn't good enough, or when it is good enough (Far Cry as an example) the music is no longer as in fashion as it was so even with the right song they can't get a lot of success, or they make new music so seldom that they have no chance at real success with their new music. They have success as the kind of band that would do a Time Machine Tour and play their greatest album from 30 years ago. It's frustrating, as they really could have helped their career along a lot a long the way if they just played the game a little.

In terms of the Olympics, yeah, it would have been a small sacrifice of integrity (that's been inconsistent anyway), but to me it was a TINY price to pay for a once in a lifetime chance to play for literally billions of people and show the world that Rush is Canada's greatest import. Instead, in the eyes of most of the world, Rush doesn't exist. They shot themselves in the foot yet again.

For me the only place where I wouldn't want them to sacrifice any integrity whatsoever is in their MUSIC, and with that they never have, and never would. I mean, obviously there are many times I thought they blew it musically, but it wasn't because they were trying to make music for popularity's sake, it was because they just made bad choices (IMHO).

I don't think it was being obstinate, man. Rush would have been embarrassed, mortified, and felt like complete idiots lip syncing to a recorded track. Part of what separates serious artists from non serious whores (IMO) is the unwillingness to fake it. Its just as simple as that. And worse, absolutely with all the cash they had to spend, the Olympics could have easily simply let them play. They did SARS with a stripped down setup, they could have done the Olympics w/o a full stage setup.

With regard to RRHOF, do you strive for respect from *that* crowd so much? Rush is respected by fans, rock fans, hell even by people that don't LIKE them! And by lots and lots of other bands. I don't see the need to have "that" crowd endorse them with a prize as if their seal of approval is needed. Do they belong in the HOF, well of course. But this is why I'm not hung up on it - because its juts silly that they aren't included (along with a number of other bands), silly that being Pop is more important than being masters of the craft at the esteemed place, and also that I don't want that jackoff Wenner, who dissed them for decades, to "grant" them their legitimacy. he doesnt get to do that. We do.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 27 2011, 05:02 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 27 2011, 12:10 PM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Nov 27 2011, 05:24 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 27 2011, 02:46 AM)
QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Nov 26 2011, 04:38 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 24 2011, 01:38 PM)
As I said I don't think about the RRHOF. It just doesn't come into my mind. The only time I do think about it is, as I stated already, when I see you and your HOF pals making threads about it on this forum. There's no attitude I have, no nothing. The subject just stay in my mind long enough to induce anything. The only thing I feel is puzzlement over people's obsession with this. This kind of thing just doesn't mean anything to me I suppose.

Why do you care about this anyway? What difference does it make?

RUSH are RUSH whatever accolades some pinstripe suit gives them. Either way it doesn't matter.

Black Sabbath are in the HOF and I don't think of them any differently. In fact I didn't even know they were in till recently. But now that I do know, I don't listen to them with some new sense of vicarious satisfaction. It makes no difference whatsoever. Nor should it. Only someone with some very strange ideas would think that it would.

goodpost.gif This about sums it up for me.

I'm used to the fact by now that I strongly disagree with Goobs on just about everything, but as others have said it's a bit shocking that the matter of mainstream acceptance is so important to you. Personally, I like what I like and I don't need my opinions to be validated by anyone else. That you would have preferred they sacrifice their integrity just to get a few more people to like them is baffling to me. Particularly when we all know the band has been plenty successful regardless.

I guess for me there are two reasons it's important.

One is I want them to get respect. Ever since I was a fan in 1981 I've heard people putting down this band, both personally and in the media. I want them to get the credit they deserve.

Two is I don't share the philosophy that "the band has been plenty successful regardless." I believe they deserve to be heard by as many people as possible, and then they can judge for themselves whether they like them or not. To keep them as the biggest underground cult band keeps them in a "our little secret" category. I've never liked that. Great music is meant to be shared, not hoarded.

Just my opinion. Probably as unpopular as always. tongue.gif

Goobs, this is by far the weirdest view of yours Ive encountered...

I would love for them to get more accolades and such, but not at the expense of their own integrity. which they clearly felt that way too

I don't want them to sacrifice their integrity, but their integrity to me is inconsistent. They didn't do television interviews for years and years, didn't play the media game that could have made their music much more popular. Then in recent years a huge shift, and they're all over the tv and media, doing the things that they wouldn't do for a long time. BUT, it's too late! I mean, yes, they've gotten some credit for their longevity and status as rock legends (to a degree), but many years after they were making the quality of music that would have put them in the upper echelons.

Now their music either isn't good enough, or when it is good enough (Far Cry as an example) the music is no longer as in fashion as it was so even with the right song they can't get a lot of success, or they make new music so seldom that they have no chance at real success with their new music. They have success as the kind of band that would do a Time Machine Tour and play their greatest album from 30 years ago. It's frustrating, as they really could have helped their career along a lot a long the way if they just played the game a little.

In terms of the Olympics, yeah, it would have been a small sacrifice of integrity (that's been inconsistent anyway), but to me it was a TINY price to pay for a once in a lifetime chance to play for literally billions of people and show the world that Rush is Canada's greatest import. Instead, in the eyes of most of the world, Rush doesn't exist. They shot themselves in the foot yet again.

For me the only place where I wouldn't want them to sacrifice any integrity whatsoever is in their MUSIC, and with that they never have, and never would. I mean, obviously there are many times I thought they blew it musically, but it wasn't because they were trying to make music for popularity's sake, it was because they just made bad choices (IMHO).

I don't think it was being obstinate, man. Rush would have been embarrassed, mortified, and felt like complete idiots lip syncing to a recorded track. Part of what separates serious artists from non serious whores (IMO) is the unwillingness to fake it. Its just as simple as that. And worse, absolutely with all the cash they had to spend, the Olympics could have easily simply let them play. They did SARS with a stripped down setup, they could have done the Olympics w/o a full stage setup.

With regard to RRHOF, do you strive for respect from *that* crowd so much? Rush is respected by fans, rock fans, hell even by people that don't LIKE them! And by lots and lots of other bands. I don't see the need to have "that" crowd endorse them with a prize as if their seal of approval is needed. Do they belong in the HOF, well of course. But this is why I'm not hung up on it - because its juts silly that they aren't included (along with a number of other bands), silly that being Pop is more important than being masters of the craft at the esteemed place, and also that I don't want that jackoff Wenner, who dissed them for decades, to "grant" them their legitimacy. he doesnt get to do that. We do.

pretty spot on

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 27 2011, 11:45 PM)
Oh well, my views aren't my views because they're popular, they're my views because that's just how I see things. Some people seem to want to defend them and think they are beyond reproach no matter what they do. They're entitled.

you fall back on all that some people will defend everything bit every time people try to understand yer thought process, especially on this last one that basically contradicts the bands career long philosophy.

Oh well, my views aren't my views because they're popular, they're my views because that's just how I see things. Some people seem to want to defend them and think they are beyond reproach no matter what they do. They're entitled.

I respect your opinions man, even if I dont share them trink39.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 27 2011, 11:52 PM)
Oh well, my views aren't my views because they're popular, they're my views because that's just how I see things.  Some people seem to want to defend them and think they are beyond reproach no matter what they do.  They're entitled.

I respect them too, I would think you know that. But sometimes you just baffle me

Edited by go2wrk@95974

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Nov 27 2011, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (01GT Eibach @ Nov 26 2011, 02:49 PM)
Do Rush really deserve to be in the RnRHoF?  In my personal opinion, the answer is "very much so".  But the media (that panned them for decades, wishing for so long for Rush to just fade away) that are the decion makers will never let it happen.  So ... to me it has evolved into half a running joke, and the other half an abomination.  But, regardless of what I think, it is not going to happen any time soon in my opinion. 

And I would say the same for Yes, Jethro Tull and the Moody Blues ... all of whom are conspicuously not in the HoF (correct me if I am wrong if any of these three are actually in).

No, you are correct. None of those three are in, nor is Stevie Ray Fukkiing Vaughan!! 'Nuff said there.

applaudit.gif

With your post, but mainly for that awesome RUSH RRHOF pic on your sig!

Top freaking notch! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 28 2011, 01:52 PM)
Oh well, my views aren't my views because they're popular, they're my views because that's just how I see things.  Some people seem to want to defend them and think they are beyond reproach no matter what they do.  They're entitled.

Yeah, I was going to say pretty much the same thing...here's my version:

goobs, your opinions don't bother me no matter how f*cked they are.

biggrin.gif

trink39.gif

Rush already have all the fame and respect they deserve. I don't care what the people at Rolling Stone have to say or who gets inducted into this ridiculous institution and who doesn't. It's just a bunch of elite people who combine their own opinions with sales figures to determine who gets in. The only legitimate music critics are the fans and in Rush's case, the fans have clearly spoken.

:bump:

I was looking for another thread and stumbled across this one.

It's interesting to see these old thoughts and how wrong some were. It's also fun to see how some of the bands listed have been entered into the RRHoF since these posts.

• Like 2