Rush will NEVER make the RRHOF

rushgoober

Disgustingly shameful..but not surprising.

I look at it as some sick popularity contest....

nothing more..nothing less. 062802puke_prv.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these"AOF acts"

actually BOUGHT their way into this " hall of shame"

..Seriously.It's nothing more then a circus farce/sham.

Some warped,God-awful freak show. yes.gif wacko.gif rage.gif

RUSH is too good for this JOKE....

And they're gonna get the last laugh,

by eventually saying to these bozos,

"no thanks....Now take off, eh.."

or "Make like a tree, and get the FLUCK outta here..." dazed025.gif 1287.gif

Edited by go2wrk@95974

When one "man" can singlehandedly keep an artist out of the "Hall of Fame", it isn't really a Hall of Fame. Not a one legitimately worthy of the name, anyway. "Hall of Artists, Rock and Roll or otherwise, that Jann Wenner Likes".

As I do not share Wenner's musical opinions, I don't have any reason to go there.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 24 2011, 05:40 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 24 2011, 02:32 AM)
Who gives a shit? I never think about this kind of thing, except when I see the inevitable threads in here made by the RRHOF obsessives.

Btw I suggest you forget about this now, based on the thread title.

Just as I said above that the "we're too good for them" attitude sounds like sour grapes to me, the whole "who gives a shit" attitude just sounds like people being jaded and cynical because of the bitterness caused by decades of Rush being shat upon by almost everyone. I can relate - it's easier to adopt this attitude, as acknowledging how little regard Rush is almost always given can be painful. It's much easier to adopt a thick skin and be hardened about it than to care.

No, it's not 'sour grapes'. It's legit...for me anyways.

Listen, at first...back in the day, I used to be really concerned about it and was sour about the fact that they were always getting overlooked and passed up for other bands and artists.

However, now in 2011, I could honestly care less. Over the years, they have been inducting worse and worse acts...and any legitimacy that the 'Hall' may have had has quickly disappeared.

With 100% honesty, I would be most proud of the band if somehow the day came that they were finally accepted, and they just respectfully declined the invite. That would be my proudest moment.

Now, yes...I know that will not happen. If they ever get accepted for induction, they will most certainly accept it with the utmost class because that's what they do. That's who they are. That, and because they believe that it means alot to the majority of their fans. They would be doing it strictly for the fans.

But yeah, these days, I don't care. I mean, at the end of the day, what value does the RRHOF really add to the credibility and legacy of Rush? Nothing IMO.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Nov 25 2011, 02:09 AM)
Possibly. The argument could be made.

Still, they seem to have a black cloud over them when it comes to true mainstream acceptance IMHO.[/quote]
They probably could've had more if they had really wanted it. They just haven't ever seemed to be too concerned about chasing after that sort of status, instead just doing what they do and achieving incredible success while still maintaining and relishing the position of being outsiders. I think that's pretty cool.

Exactly.

The boys themselves have stated many times that they've been asked to do all sorts of appearances and TV shows (like the late night shows) and all that, but that they've always declined because it wasn't their thing.

Did it affect their overall popularity and commercial success? Maybe. But was it also for the good of the band and their integrity. I would argue yes as well.

For example...remember all the discussion and hype around the time of the last Olympics in Vancouver? You know, about how they were expected to appear on the Opening/Closing Ceremonies? Remember why they ultimately declined? They were asked to go there and lip-synch and whatnot.

This kind of sh*t works for many of today's bands, but Rush is different, and I couldn't be happier about it. Believe me, I would be devastated if I watched those ceremonies and saw my favourite band just lip-synching and pretending to play Tom Sawyer over a studio recording. Ridiculous. I saw Bryan Adams do it, and lost a crapload of respect for him at that moment.

That's exactly why I find all the "Rush tours are strictly money-grabs" discussion is so ridiculous. At least, if they are going to make money...they do it their own way. They don't sell out. They don't worry about going all commercial and following the crowd. They just work hard. They play a ton of shows, perform THREE HOURS a night, demand perfection from each other, and ultimately leave everything they have on stage every night. What more could you ask from them?

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 25 2011, 07:55 AM)

Still, they seem to have a black cloud over them when it comes to true mainstream acceptance IMHO.

They probably could've had more if they had really wanted it. They just haven't ever seemed to be too concerned about chasing after that sort of status, instead just doing what they do and achieving incredible success while still maintaining and relishing the position of being outsiders. I think that's pretty cool. [/quote]
Exactly.

The boys themselves have stated many times that they've been asked to do all sorts of appearances and TV shows (like the late night shows) and all that, but that they've always declined because it wasn't their thing.

Did it affect their overall popularity and commercial success? Maybe. But was it also for the good of the band and their integrity. I would argue yes as well.

For example...remember all the discussion and hype around the time of the last Olympics in Vancouver? You know, about how they were expected to appear on the Opening/Closing Ceremonies? Remember why they ultimately declined? They were asked to go there and lip-synch and whatnot.

This kind of sh*t works for many of today's bands, but Rush is different, and I couldn't be happier about it. Believe me, I would be devastated if I watched those ceremonies and saw my favourite band just lip-synching and pretending to play Tom Sawyer over a studio recording. Ridiculous. I saw Bryan Adams do it, and lost a crapload of respect for him at that moment.

That's exactly why I find all the "Rush tours are strictly money-grabs" discussion is so ridiculous. At least, if they are going to make money...they do it their own way. They don't sell out. They don't worry about going all commercial and following the crowd. They just work hard. They play a ton of shows, perform THREE HOURS a night, demand perfection from each other, and ultimately leave everything they have on stage every night. What more could you ask from them?

I do find it very ironic that they would shoot themselves in the foot the way they have for many years by not doing more interviews, etc., and then the Olympics thing was one clusterf*ck of a mistake. Swallow your pride for one moment and get a billion people being made aware that Rush is Canada's finest export. A small price to pay.

And then the cash grabbing (and doing all the interviews they wouldn't do for so long) after working so hard to shun the limelight they deserve - only it's a decade or two after making the kind of songs that would have propelled them into the kind of popularity they've always deserved. Well, Far Cry had that potential, but their moment in history when that kind of music could have made a huge splash had passed. It's frustrating to say the least...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 25 2011, 12:42 PM)
I do find it very ironic that they would shoot themselves in the foot the way they have for many years by not doing more interviews, etc., and then the Olympics thing was one clusterf*ck of a mistake. Swallow your pride for one moment and get a billion people being made aware that Rush is Canada's finest export. A small price to pay.

wtf.gif

Goobs...you're seriously kidding now right??

You are honestly saying that going out there in front of the world and lip-synch and pretend to perform over a studio recording is a 'small price to pay'? Small price to pay for what exactly? Fame? Recognition? Money?

How about things like values, dignity, integrity?

I'm sorry, but I 1000% disagree with this view. Isn't this the same band that we typically applaud for refusing to 'sell out'? For maintaining their integrity and for refusing to simply follow the norm of the music industry?

I know for me personally, if I watched Ged, Alex, and Neil go out there on that global stage and pretend to perform, I would've lost a lot of respect for them. It would be a joke to watch them pretend to do the thing that they've actually done, and worked hard to do their entire career. To me, THAT would've tarnished their credibility and legacy.

Besides, if the Olympics committee was really that keen on having Rush there, they would've realized that the guys could go out there and flawlessly perform LIVE. Asking a band that's been around for 35+ years to pretend to be like every other modern-day artist is a slap in the face to them and to their legacy if you ask me.

Some of my favorite actors have never been nominated for an oscar.

Harrison Ford and Johnny Depp, they have been in many pictures, made lot's and lots of bucks. Now Harrison is like an every-man, no real performance show stopper. But a few roles Depp has really been amazing.

But others are Richard Burton and Kirk Douglas.

Directors Stanley Kubrick, Alfred Hitchcock and George Lucas.

Extremely influential artist that never won.

This just simply doesn't matter. It doesn't diminish their work in the least!

Injustices are wide and varied in the entertainment industry.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 25 2011, 09:59 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 25 2011, 12:42 PM)
I do find it very ironic that they would shoot themselves in the foot the way they have for many years by not doing more interviews, etc., and then the Olympics thing was one clusterf*ck of a mistake.  Swallow your pride for one moment and get a billion people being made aware that Rush is Canada's finest export.  A small price to pay.

wtf.gif

Goobs...you're seriously kidding now right??

You are honestly saying that going out there in front of the world and lip-synch and pretend to perform over a studio recording is a 'small price to pay'? Small price to pay for what exactly? Fame? Recognition? Money?

How about things like values, dignity, integrity?

I'm sorry, but I 1000% disagree with this view. Isn't this the same band that we typically applaud for refusing to 'sell out'? For maintaining their integrity and for refusing to simply follow the norm of the music industry?

I know for me personally, if I watched Ged, Alex, and Neil go out there on that global stage and pretend to perform, I would've lost a lot of respect for them. It would be a joke to watch them pretend to do the thing that they've actually done, and worked hard to do their entire career. To me, THAT would've tarnished their credibility and legacy.

Besides, if the Olympics committee was really that keen on having Rush there, they would've realized that the guys could go out there and flawlessly perform LIVE. Asking a band that's been around for 35+ years to pretend to be like every other modern-day artist is a slap in the face to them and to their legacy if you ask me.

Someone did a poll awhile back about whether they should have lip synched at the Olympics. It was the biggest landslide I've ever seen for a poll. 57 people agreed with you that Rush made the right decision. 5 (including me) thought they blew it.

I don't mind being in the minority, but it doesn't change my views on the issue one single molecule. They blew the biggest opportunity of their careers right there IMHO.

Now that we're having the discussion, maybe it's not the lousy taste of the RRHOF nominating committee that is responsible for Rush not (or likely never) being inducted. Maybe it's Rush themselves. Had they cared enough to do the small things necessary over the years to get more respect, they might have made it in. Then again, The Sex Pistols were crap and they got in, so who the f*ck knows. Maybe it's 75% the fault of Jann Wenner and crew for having lousy taste in music and 2% the fault of Rush for not doing anything to help their cause.

Don't worry Goobs...I'm not here to change your mind.

I just can't believe that their overall lack of popularity is really THAT important to you...that you would rather watch them lip-synch and pretend to perform, than simply decline the invite.

Wait, wasn't there a girl (Jessica Simpson's sister or something) that once was caught lip-synching on SNL or something, and the whole backing track f'd up? So...there was an awkward pause, followed by her doing some improv dance. I would never want to see my favourite band look like complete jack as*es, especially on a global stage like that. How would that really help their case?!

Is this really how you want the world to view RUSH?? Think about it.

There's only one question that has to be asked and answered with this whole popularity thing.

Would it make them any more prolific as far as putting out new and better material?

I say, no. Having a few million new fans wouldn't change a thing. They'd keep putting out the same things they've been doing, they'd keep touring - nothing would change (except maybe their management would figure they could raise ticket prices).

So in the absence of any other significant changes... I'd rather they not do lip syncing or other events that would be seen as a loss of artistic integrity.

Now, if that kind of exposure led to them doing more high quality albums, then I'd be all for it. But I don't think that would be the case.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 25 2011, 10:44 AM)

I just can't believe that their overall lack of popularity is really THAT important to you...that you would rather watch them lip-synch and pretend to perform, than simply decline the invite.

Wait, wasn't there a girl (Jessica Simpson's sister or something) that once was caught lip-synching on SNL or something, and the whole backing track f'd up? So...there was an awkward pause, followed by her doing some improv dance. I would never want to see my favourite band look like complete jack as*es, especially on a global stage like that. How would that really help their case?!

Thought about it. No problems with any of the other inferior Canadian performers who performed that night. Rush were notable by their absence. Such a shame...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 25 2011, 02:52 PM)

Thought about it. No problems with any of the other inferior Canadian performers who performed that night. Rush were notable by their absence. Such a shame...

eh.gif

So, if Rush were to start lip-synching / pretending to perform on all their shows going forward, you would honestly be okay paying to see that?

"Woo-hoo...now the boys can play all the classics from the 70's and Geddy can hit all those high notes!! Yay!!" sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 25 2011, 12:00 PM)

eh.gif

So, if Rush were to start lip-synching / pretending to perform on all their shows going forward, you would honestly be okay paying to see that?

"Woo-hoo...now the boys can play all the classics from the 70's and Geddy can hit all those high notes!! Yay!!" sarcasm.gif

Nope, just that once - chance of a lifetime.

I do not EVER agree with lip synching, no matter the circumstances!! (yo Waters, you listening man?) Congrats to Rush for not doing it no matter the opportunity. Honesty and integrity are so worth aspiring to, cultivating and protecting.

I tend to agree with your opening premise on this thread. I have a feeling they'll never get it in and it's utter bullshit. Doesn't change my enjoyment of the band one iota though. Just means the "institution" will never see my money.

Oh, and btw I agree with you goober that the Pistols were total shit. maybe the singularly most overrated, overblown band of all time. There were punk bands with plenty of talent, The Ramones and The Clash come immediately to mind, but The Sex Pistols were NOT one of them.

Regurgitated thread (sorry Goob).

I honestly could care less about the whole Hall of Fame thing.

I mean there are some good bands in there and there are some completely totally non-rock bands in there as well.

It's just some dumb organization to me.

I can understand why it pisses people off but really, who gives a crap...at least that's how I think about it.

The hardcore Rush fans will always hold them to the highest regard and ultimately the whole thing doesn't matter.

Also I definitely am of the viewpoint that Rush is 'above' the Hall of Fame anyway.

They've always done things on their own terms, and didn't suck ass for money like so many of the acts in the Hall of Fame.

Again I stress that it's no use in getting angry over it because half the bands in the damn thing aren't even considered 'rock and roll' by most people's standards.

Edit: I hereby declare that this will be my last post ever regarding the stupid, meaningless, completely inconsequential Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Edited by Rush!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 25 2011, 11:42 AM)

Still, they seem to have a black cloud over them when it comes to true mainstream acceptance IMHO.

They probably could've had more if they had really wanted it. They just haven't ever seemed to be too concerned about chasing after that sort of status, instead just doing what they do and achieving incredible success while still maintaining and relishing the position of being outsiders. I think that's pretty cool.

Exactly.

That's exactly why I find all the "Rush tours are strictly money-grabs" discussion is so ridiculous. At least, if they are going to make money...they do it their own way. They don't sell out. They don't worry about going all commercial and following the crowd. They just work hard. They play a ton of shows, perform THREE HOURS a night, demand perfection from each other, and ultimately leave everything they have on stage every night. What more could you ask from them? [/quote]

And then the cash grabbing (and doing all the interviews they wouldn't do for so long) after working so hard to shun the limelight they deserve - only it's a decade or two after making the kind of songs that would have propelled them into the kind of popularity they've always deserved. Well, Far Cry had that potential, but their moment in history when that kind of music could have made a huge splash had passed. It's frustrating to say the least...

wow....heresy and sacrilege. Really man, I love ya Goobs but I am astounded at yer view on this one. they sang their whole career against that mentality. If they thought that way we wouldnt have 2112. And I dont think theyve suffered financially as a result. Obviously their own idea of integrity was worth more massive commercial appeal, or at least the artistic concessions that go with that approach. as they often say and also from the best album ever made, Hemispheres...its all about Balance. To be successful doing what they love they way they love it. Emotion Detector is spot on here IM(not)HO

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 26 2011, 04:06 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 25 2011, 12:00 PM)

eh.gif

Nope, just that once - chance of a lifetime.

Chance at what?...Pretending to perform?

This is one of the most surprising opinions that I've ever disagreed with you about. Oh well. trink38.gif