Rush will NEVER make the RRHOF

rushgoober

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 26 2011, 05:08 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 26 2011, 04:06 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 25 2011, 12:00 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 25 2011, 02:52 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 25 2011, 10:44 AM)
Don't worry Goobs...I'm not here to change your mind.

I just can't believe that their overall lack of popularity is really THAT important to you...that you would rather watch them lip-synch and pretend to perform, than simply decline the invite.

Wait, wasn't there a girl (Jessica Simpson's sister or something) that once was caught lip-synching on SNL or something, and the whole backing track f'd up? So...there was an awkward pause, followed by her doing some improv dance. I would never want to see my favourite band look like complete jack as*es, especially on a global stage like that. How would that really help their case?!

Is this really how you want the world to view RUSH?? Think about it.

Thought about it. No problems with any of the other inferior Canadian performers who performed that night. Rush were notable by their absence. Such a shame...

eh.gif

So, if Rush were to start lip-synching / pretending to perform on all their shows going forward, you would honestly be okay paying to see that?

"Woo-hoo...now the boys can play all the classics from the 70's and Geddy can hit all those high notes!! Yay!!" sarcasm.gif

Nope, just that once - chance of a lifetime.

Chance at what?...Pretending to perform?

This is one of the most surprising opinions that I've ever disagreed with you about. Oh well. trink38.gif

If rushgoober was Rush's manager, not only would he have had them lipsinc but to honor indigenous peoples of Canada, he would have ordered a 3 meter inuksuk to drop down from cables during their performance. Except, due to his error it would end up being a 3 foot inuksuk and, well, you know how the rest would turn out..

joker.gif

I actually do think they will get in, probably as like a sentimental favorite since a lot of people are making noise about this.

Especially after Metallica mentioned Rush during their induction. Now I definitely think Metallica should be in there before Rush due to their influence on metal on a level Rush never achieved with any genre, but at the same time Rush should be in due to their extensive body of work and their staying power.

It many not happen until one of them passes away which would be a shame, but I do think they will get in someday. And Ill bet you anything Rush would be very honored.

QUOTE (trenken @ Nov 26 2011, 09:30 AM)
I actually do think they will get in, probably as like a sentimental favorite since a lot of people are making noise about this.

Especially after Metallica mentioned Rush during their induction. Now I definitely think Metallica should be in there before Rush due to their influence on metal on a level Rush never achieved with any genre, but at the same time Rush should be in due to their extensive body of work and their staying power.

It many not happen until one of them passes away which would be a shame, but I do think they will get in someday. And Ill bet you anything Rush would be very honored.

RUSH influenced millions of people before Metallica got out of Grade School, not to mention that Metallicas last real creativity dying with Cliffs passing...but thats my opinion.

I think you're way off base on the Rush influence.

Metallica

Tool

Rage against the machine

Soundgarden

Smashing pumpkins

Dream theatre

Alex Skolnick

Chuck shuldiner

The list goes on..they may not have broken open commercialy like a Metallica, but Metallica , cliff Burton in particular, wouldn't play the way they did if not for the Rush influence.

A lot of metal guys spent hours in the woodshed because of Rush.

QUOTE (hannuFIN @ Nov 26 2011, 12:37 PM)
Who cares a shit. Just a tourist attraction for dumbs.

thanks to..

Hey good for Wenner. Proof that with very little talent one can become a media mogul. I kind of laugh, hes taken so much credit for doing something almost anyone could have done if they were in the right place at the right time... hahahahaaa.

Do Rush really deserve to be in the RnRHoF? In my personal opinion, the answer is "very much so". But the media (that panned them for decades, wishing for so long for Rush to just fade away) that are the decion makers will never let it happen. So ... to me it has evolved into half a running joke, and the other half an abomination. But, regardless of what I think, it is not going to happen any time soon in my opinion.

And I would say the same for Yes, Jethro Tull and the Moody Blues ... all of whom are conspicuously not in the HoF (correct me if I am wrong if any of these three are actually in).

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 24 2011, 01:38 PM)
As I said I don't think about the RRHOF. It just doesn't come into my mind. The only time I do think about it is, as I stated already, when I see you and your HOF pals making threads about it on this forum. There's no attitude I have, no nothing. The subject just stay in my mind long enough to induce anything. The only thing I feel is puzzlement over people's obsession with this. This kind of thing just doesn't mean anything to me I suppose.

Why do you care about this anyway? What difference does it make?

RUSH are RUSH whatever accolades some pinstripe suit gives them. Either way it doesn't matter.

Black Sabbath are in the HOF and I don't think of them any differently. In fact I didn't even know they were in till recently. But now that I do know, I don't listen to them with some new sense of vicarious satisfaction. It makes no difference whatsoever. Nor should it. Only someone with some very strange ideas would think that it would.

goodpost.gif This about sums it up for me.

I'm used to the fact by now that I strongly disagree with Goobs on just about everything, but as others have said it's a bit shocking that the matter of mainstream acceptance is so important to you. Personally, I like what I like and I don't need my opinions to be validated by anyone else. That you would have preferred they sacrifice their integrity just to get a few more people to like them is baffling to me. Particularly when we all know the band has been plenty successful regardless.

What makes me smile is knowing that whatever Wenner does, be it inducting Rush, or not inducting them (leading to an increasing level of publicity and attention each year he does not), Rush gets something out of it. Either he didn't have the foresight to see this would happen, that's the power Rush has, or both.

moon.gif

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Nov 26 2011, 04:38 PM)
As I said I don't think about the RRHOF. It just doesn't come into my mind. The only time I do think about it is, as I stated already, when I see you and your HOF pals making threads about it on this forum. There's no attitude I have, no nothing. The subject just stay in my mind long enough to induce anything. The only thing I feel is puzzlement over people's obsession with this. This kind of thing just doesn't mean anything to me I suppose.

RUSH are RUSH whatever accolades some pinstripe suit gives them. Either way it doesn't matter.

Black Sabbath are in the HOF and I don't think of them any differently. In fact I didn't even know they were in till recently. But now that I do know, I don't listen to them with some new sense of vicarious satisfaction. It makes no difference whatsoever. Nor should it. Only someone with some very strange ideas would think that it would.

I'm used to the fact by now that I strongly disagree with Goobs on just about everything, but as others have said it's a bit shocking that the matter of mainstream acceptance is so important to you. Personally, I like what I like and I don't need my opinions to be validated by anyone else. That you would have preferred they sacrifice their integrity just to get a few more people to like them is baffling to me. Particularly when we all know the band has been plenty successful regardless.

I guess for me there are two reasons it's important.

One is I want them to get respect. Ever since I was a fan in 1981 I've heard people putting down this band, both personally and in the media. I want them to get the credit they deserve.

Two is I don't share the philosophy that "the band has been plenty successful regardless." I believe they deserve to be heard by as many people as possible, and then they can judge for themselves whether they like them or not. To keep them as the biggest underground cult band keeps them in a "our little secret" category. I've never liked that. Great music is meant to be shared, not hoarded.

Just my opinion. Probably as unpopular as always. tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 27 2011, 02:46 AM)

One is I want them to get respect. Ever since I was a fan in 1981 I've heard people putting down this band, both personally and in the media. I want them to get the credit they deserve.

Two is I don't share the philosophy that "the band has been plenty successful regardless." I believe they deserve to be heard by as many people as possible, and then they can judge for themselves whether they like them or not. To keep them as the biggest underground cult band keeps them in a "our little secret" category. I've never liked that. Great music is meant to be shared, not hoarded.

goodpost.gif

Wow...this is the second time I have agreed with something you have said in that last 3 days. Just between us I think it's time for us to recognize the differences we sometimes feared to show. Just between us I think it's time for us to realize the spaces in between leave room for you and I to grow. facepalm.gif (Again, giving myself the facepalm!)

Sorry, couldn't Resist, I mean, I can learn to Resist anything but temptation. I can learn to co-exist with anything but agreeing with Tony R. wink.gif

Sorry, TRF, I have a sickness. Somehow every post I write that is in response to rushgoober leads me to quote RUSH lyrics! fing.gif

I am sure I will find something to argue with him about in the next few days. yes.gif

Goobs, this is by far the weirdest view of yours Ive encountered...

I would love for them to get more accolades and such, but not at the expense of their own integrity. which they clearly felt that way too

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 26 2011, 11:14 AM)

Metallica

Tool

Rage against the machine

Soundgarden

Smashing pumpkins

Dream theatre

Alex Skolnick

Chuck shuldiner

The list goes on..they may not have broken open commercialy like a Metallica, but Metallica , cliff Burton in particular, wouldn't play the way they did if not for the Rush influence.

I wasnt talking about the influence they had on other bands. Im aware that Rush has influenced others, I was talking about what Metallica did for metal.

They redefined it and popularized it. That's what they are known for and is a significant accomplishment. Not many bands ever get to do something like that. What genre is Rush known for changing or heavily influencing? None really. Rush has always been a band that does what others are doing around them.

There were prog bands way before Rush. When the 80s came around, Rush started getting synth heavy. When Pearl Jam and Nirvana showed up, Rush comes out with Counterparts. Rush are followers, not leaders. They did it better than most, but the fact is they never started any new trends in music. Metallica did, and thats why they got in before Rush. They are far more popular and influential on a level Rush doesnt even come remotely close to.

We know of like maybe 10 popular bands influenced by Rush. Maybe more, but there is a huge amount of popular bands over the last 30 years that love Metallica. Rush has a bigger body of work, with far less success.

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Nov 27 2011, 07:24 AM)

I would love for them to get more accolades and such, but not at the expense of their own integrity. which they clearly felt that way too

I understand your point, but you'd think with the amount of musicians that name check Rush as an inspiration to their playing, the Hall would acknowledge that.

QUOTE (trenken @ Nov 27 2011, 07:54 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 26 2011, 11:14 AM)

Metallica

Tool

Rage against the machine

Soundgarden

Smashing pumpkins

Dream theatre

Alex Skolnick

Chuck shuldiner

I wasnt talking about the influence they had on other bands. Im aware that Rush has influenced others, I was talking about what Metallica did for metal.

They redefined it and popularized it. That's what they are known for and is a significant accomplishment. Not many bands ever get to do something like that. What genre is Rush known for changing or heavily influencing? None really. Rush has always been a band that does what others are doing around them.

There were prog bands way before Rush. When the 80s came around, Rush started getting synth heavy. When Pearl Jam and Nirvana showed up, Rush comes out with Counterparts. Rush are followers, not leaders. They did it better than most, but the fact is they never started any new trends in music. Metallica did, and thats why they got in before Rush. They are far more popular and influential on a level Rush doesnt even come remotely close to.

We know of like maybe 10 popular bands influenced by Rush. Maybe more, but there is a huge amount of popular bands over the last 30 years that love Metallica. Rush has a bigger body of work, with far less success.

just gets weirder...

Not that I care if they do or don't make it, but I see them getting in before long.

Weird side note...

I watched Shutter Island the other day ( directed by Martin Scorcese ) and the thought occured to me that one of the greatest directors in film never won an academy award for best director, until he won it for " The Departed ".

In my opinion, it wasn't his best directing effort by any stretch, but he was finally given the oscar as the academy acknowledged his body of work late in his career.

It strikes me that the Hall of Fame will do the same.

QUOTE (trenken @ Nov 27 2011, 06:54 AM)
I was talking about what Metallica did for metal.

They redefined it and popularized it. That's what they are known for and is a significant accomplishment. Not many bands ever get to do something like that. What genre is Rush known for changing or heavily influencing? None really.

Progressive Metal. Rush basically created it.

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Nov 27 2011, 01:25 AM)

goodpost.gif

Wow...this is the second time I have agreed with something you have said in that last 3 days. Just between us I think it's time for us to recognize the differences we sometimes feared to show. Just between us I think it's time for us to realize the spaces in between leave room for you and I to grow. facepalm.gif (Again, giving myself the facepalm!)

Sorry, couldn't Resist, I mean, I can learn to Resist anything but temptation. I can learn to co-exist with anything but agreeing with Tony R. wink.gif

Sorry, TRF, I have a sickness. Somehow every post I write that is in response to rushgoober leads me to quote RUSH lyrics! fing.gif

I am sure I will find something to argue with him about in the next few days. yes.gif

facepalm.gif

tongue.gif

trink39.gif

unsure.gif

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Nov 27 2011, 05:24 AM)

I don't want them to sacrifice their integrity, but their integrity to me is inconsistent. They didn't do television interviews for years and years, didn't play the media game that could have made their music much more popular. Then in recent years a huge shift, and they're all over the tv and media, doing the things that they wouldn't do for a long time. BUT, it's too late! I mean, yes, they've gotten some credit for their longevity and status as rock legends (to a degree), but many years after they were making the quality of music that would have put them in the upper echelons.

Now their music either isn't good enough, or when it is good enough (Far Cry as an example) the music is no longer as in fashion as it was so even with the right song they can't get a lot of success, or they make new music so seldom that they have no chance at real success with their new music. They have success as the kind of band that would do a Time Machine Tour and play their greatest album from 30 years ago. It's frustrating, as they really could have helped their career along a lot a long the way if they just played the game a little.

In terms of the Olympics, yeah, it would have been a small sacrifice of integrity (that's been inconsistent anyway), but to me it was a TINY price to pay for a once in a lifetime chance to play for literally billions of people and show the world that Rush is Canada's greatest import. Instead, in the eyes of most of the world, Rush doesn't exist. They shot themselves in the foot yet again.

For me the only place where I wouldn't want them to sacrifice any integrity whatsoever is in their MUSIC, and with that they never have, and never would. I mean, obviously there are many times I thought they blew it musically, but it wasn't because they were trying to make music for popularity's sake, it was because they just made bad choices (IMHO).

to some its not a TINY price... Their integrity has never been inconsistant to me. They do things they way they want, with an honest sincerty in my opinion, like it or hate it. Its too late for just what exactly anyway? They will never do anything they dont like in an attempt for widespread acceptance. They find the balance they can live with. And I appreciate that, and Id like to think I took that lesson to heart. otherwise Id play new Metallica and Knuckleback on MY SHOW

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 27 2011, 10:10 AM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Nov 27 2011, 05:24 AM)

I don't want them to sacrifice their integrity, but their integrity to me is inconsistent. They didn't do television interviews for years and years, didn't play the media game that could have made their music much more popular. Then in recent years a huge shift, and they're all over the tv and media, doing the things that they wouldn't do for a long time. BUT, it's too late! I mean, yes, they've gotten some credit for their longevity and status as rock legends (to a degree), but many years after they were making the quality of music that would have put them in the upper echelons.

Now their music either isn't good enough, or when it is good enough (Far Cry as an example) the music is no longer as in fashion as it was so even with the right song they can't get a lot of success, or they make new music so seldom that they have no chance at real success with their new music. They have success as the kind of band that would do a Time Machine Tour and play their greatest album from 30 years ago. It's frustrating, as they really could have helped their career along a lot a long the way if they just played the game a little.

In terms of the Olympics, yeah, it would have been a small sacrifice of integrity (that's been inconsistent anyway), but to me it was a TINY price to pay for a once in a lifetime chance to play for literally billions of people and show the world that Rush is Canada's greatest import. Instead, in the eyes of most of the world, Rush doesn't exist. They shot themselves in the foot yet again.

For me the only place where I wouldn't want them to sacrifice any integrity whatsoever is in their MUSIC, and with that they never have, and never would. I mean, obviously there are many times I thought they blew it musically, but it wasn't because they were trying to make music for popularity's sake, it was because they just made bad choices (IMHO).

I completely disagree that thru out most the world,RUSH

doesn't exist...that's flat out wrong. Everywhere they

go in the world, RUSH sells out every show, that means millions

and millions of people know exactly who they are.They just

don't play the popularity game..they let their music do the talking.

They move to a different beat, and march to a different drummer,

both literally and figuratively, then just about every artist,imo.

The integrity of RUSH has never been compromised.

They've always done things their way...that's probably

one of the main reasons they're not in that farse, the

hall of shame...just my 2 copper coins worth.

Edited by go2wrk@95974

QUOTE (01GT Eibach @ Nov 26 2011, 02:49 PM)
Do Rush really deserve to be in the RnRHoF? In my personal opinion, the answer is "very much so". But the media (that panned them for decades, wishing for so long for Rush to just fade away) that are the decion makers will never let it happen. So ... to me it has evolved into half a running joke, and the other half an abomination. But, regardless of what I think, it is not going to happen any time soon in my opinion.

And I would say the same for Yes, Jethro Tull and the Moody Blues ... all of whom are conspicuously not in the HoF (correct me if I am wrong if any of these three are actually in).

No, you are correct. None of those three are in, nor is Stevie Ray Fukkiing Vaughan!! 'Nuff said there.

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Nov 27 2011, 11:07 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Nov 27 2011, 06:54 AM)
I was talking about what Metallica did for metal.

They redefined it and popularized it. That's what they are known for and is a significant accomplishment. Not many bands ever get to do something like that. What genre is Rush known for changing or heavily influencing? None really.

Progressive Metal. Rush basically created it.

Wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHeI_4MfzsI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrVvSaUkbI