Rush will NEVER make the RRHOF

rushgoober

I was up late tonight and saw an infomercial for a DVD set called something like the best of 25 years of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It was a DVD of performances by artists in the RRHOF, I guess at their induction ceremonies. It had people like U2 and Bruce Springsteen and Simon & Garfunkel and Stevie Wonder and the Stones and a whole host of others.

It occurred to me while watching this that Rush, by comparison, is a sick joke of a band to the nominating committee. Rush have simply NEVER had the kind of legitimacy and stature of the artists who have been inducted. They've never truly been taken seriously, despite the strides they've made in the last few years, and I doubt they ever will be. Somehow I just can't see Rush being listed among those bands. That would mean that Rush would have to be acknowledged along who is considered to be the all time greats, and those people have their heads lodged so far up their asses, that I just don't see it happening EVER.

Mind you, I would love to be wrong here and see them get a shred of the credit they deserve (even though obviously by now the RRHOF is the one that's a sick joke), but I'm not seeing it. Growing up a Rush fan, I remember a lot of fellow fans, but mostly I remember the intense ridicule the band has always received, and that people have received just for being fans. I don't care how many gold and platinum albums this band has, they will simply always be marginalized.

Edited by rushgoober

sadly they will never be enshrined next to the likes of Madonna and possibly Donna Summer. Joan Jett I see is nominated for her cover band career as well

They don't play the game and they don't play by the rules. That should be celebrated not mourned. The more I think about it the more I almost don't want them in there. It would bring them down a notch almost to be in the same club as a lot of so called artists already in. Fans and true musicians know the real score.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 24 2011, 01:34 AM)
They don't play the game and they don't play by the rules. That should be celebrated not mourned. The more I think about it the more I almost don't want them in there. It would bring them down a notch almost to be in the same club as a lot of so called artists already in. Fans and true musicians know the real score.

I've never agreed with this philosophy. "We're rebels who don't play by the rules and do things our way." That's not even a very original attitude in rock and roll, and many of the bands who've had that way of looking at things are in. And for as many extremely worthy bands who aren't in, there are five times as many who are.

No, it's just a consistent level of disrespect, disregard, marginalization and they refuse to offer Rush any legitimacy or credit. They basically shit all over the fans every year.

No offense to you or the many others who think this, but the whole "we're too good for them" attitude just sounds like sour grapes to me.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 24 2011, 02:32 AM)
Who gives a shit? I never think about this kind of thing, except when I see the inevitable threads in here made by the RRHOF obsessives.

Btw I suggest you forget about this now, based on the thread title.

Just as I said above that the "we're too good for them" attitude sounds like sour grapes to me, the whole "who gives a shit" attitude just sounds like people being jaded and cynical because of the bitterness caused by decades of Rush being shat upon by almost everyone. I can relate - it's easier to adopt this attitude, as acknowledging how little regard Rush is almost always given can be painful. It's much easier to adopt a thick skin and be hardened about it than to care.

Rush is actaully in very good company. Quite a few Punk/indie rock bands have been ignored as well.

Husker Du

Black Flag

Bad Brains

The Minuteman

Dinasour Jr.

Mission of Burma

All those bands have been hugely influential on the punk scene, and they get snubbed as well.

I guess I've had very different experiences than you've had. Most of the people I know who are aware of Rush dig the band. And people who aren't aware of them inevitably end up being more familiar with the band than they think. What I mean is that a lot of folks won't know Rush off the top of their heads (beyond perhaps Limelight and Tom Sawyer), but if you play Time Stand Still or Subdivisions or Cold Fire for them, all of a sudden it's "Oh, I know those guys!" For me, it's neat to see how Rush material has sneakily made its way into the masses' collective subconscious over the years.

I've never taken any "abuse" for being a Rush fan, nor have I witnessed much "shatting upon" of the band, perhaps because I don't associate with dopes or read crappy magazines. Yeah, there are those who will never get beyond the atypical subject matter in the lyrics or Geddy's high-pitched voice, but I've yet to come across a band that gains universal acceptance.

I've never paid attention to the "Rock & Roll Hall of Fame," and until very recently, when I started checking out internet chat boards and the like, I really had no idea if Rush had ever been enshrined there.

Edited by Cyclonus X-1

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Nov 24 2011, 02:58 AM)
I've never taken any "abuse" for being a Rush fan, nor have I witnessed much "shatting upon" of the band, perhaps because I don't associate with dopes or read crappy magazines. Yeah, there are those who will never get beyond the atypical subject matter in the lyrics or Geddy's high-pitched voice, but I've yet to come across a band that gains universal acceptance.

It's true that every band has its detractors, but for Rush it seems pretty extreme.

I don't know about you, but I've been a fan since the early 80's. I took tons of abuse for being a fan. Why, just a few months ago I was talking to a friend at work about music, asking what kind of music she likes - we got to talking about classic rock, which she also loves, and without me bringing the band up at all, she said something like, "You know the one band I can't STAND, though? Rush!" I was dumbfounded. All I could do is mumble out that they were my favorite band. She, like SO many before her, just can't stand Geddy's voice. You're lucky you haven't heard people go on and on like I have about them... for literally decades.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 24 2011, 05:07 AM)
Why, just a few months ago I was talking to a friend at work about music, asking what kind of music she likes - we got to talking about classic rock, which she also loves, and without me bringing the band up at all, she said something like, "You know the one band I can't STAND, though?  Rush!"  I was dumbfounded.  All I could do is mumble out that they were my favorite band. 

That does suck, and I guess it goes to show that people's respective experiences can be very different. An off-the-cuff comment I made about Tom Sawyer at work just recently led to my discovering that two of my coworkers are also huge Rush fans.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 24 2011, 04:40 AM)
Who gives a shit? I never think about this kind of thing, except when I see the inevitable threads in here made by the RRHOF obsessives.

Just as I said above that the "we're too good for them" attitude sounds like sour grapes to me, the whole "who gives a shit" attitude just sounds like people being jaded and cynical because of the bitterness caused by decades of Rush being shat upon by almost everyone. I can relate - it's easier to adopt this attitude, as acknowledging how little regard Rush is almost always given can be painful. It's much easier to adopt a thick skin and be hardened about it than to care.

No, you haven't read what I typed. As I said I don't think about the RRHOF. It just doesn't come into my mind. The only time I do think about it is, as I stated already, when I see you and your HOF pals making threads about it on this forum. There's no attitude I have, no nothing. The subject just stay in my mind long enough to induce anything. The only thing I feel is puzzlement over people's obsession with this. This kind of thing just doesn't mean anything to me I suppose.

Why do you care about this anyway? What difference does it make?

RUSH are RUSH whatever accolades some pinstripe suit gives them. Either way it doesn't matter.

Black Sabbath are in the HOF and I don't think of them any differently. In fact I didn't even know they were in till recently. But now that I do know, I don't listen to them with some new sense of vicarious satisfaction. It makes no difference whatsoever. Nor should it. Only someone with some very strange ideas would think that it would.

You concern yourself with some weird things Goober for a man who professes to be interested in spiritual and cosmic stuff. I'm surprised this subject even occurs to you. You need to lift your gaze to higher things I think, and anything is higher than this trivia. Just a little advice.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 24 2011, 11:38 AM)

No, you haven't read what I typed. As I said I don't think about the RRHOF. It just doesn't come into my mind. The only time I do think about it is, as I stated already, when I see you and your HOF pals making threads about it on this forum. There's no attitude I have, no nothing. The subject just stay in my mind long enough to induce anything. The only thing I feel is puzzlement over people's obsession with this. This kind of thing just doesn't mean anything to me I suppose.

RUSH are RUSH whatever accolades some pinstripe suit gives them. Either way it doesn't matter.

Black Sabbath are in the HOF and I don't think of them any differently. In fact I didn't even know they were in till recently. But now that I do know, I don't listen to them with some new sense of vicarious satisfaction. It makes no difference whatsoever. Nor should it. Only someone with some very strange ideas would think that it would.

You concern yourself with some weird things Goober for a man who professes to be interested in spiritual and cosmic stuff. I'm surprised this subject even occurs to you. You need to lift your gaze to higher things I think, and anything is higher than this trivia. Just a little advice.

Fair enough. My comments still stand for others, even if they don't apply to you specifically.

And as for getting caught up in this nonsense trivia, what can I say? I get bored. It's fun to argue about this crap. tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 24 2011, 02:15 PM)

Fair enough. My comments still stand for others, even if they don't apply to you specifically.

And as for getting caught up in this nonsense trivia, what can I say? I get bored. It's fun to argue about this crap. tongue.gif

yes it is, and Goobs...I hava a good idea for yer album by album discussion if yer still up for it

Yeah you just like arguing the toss...

tongue.gif

Why aren't you busy eating turkey?

trink38.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 24 2011, 03:40 AM)

well I couldn't really give a shit and it isn't sour grapes... why? because apparently RRHOF is nothing more than a list of J. Weiner's all time favorite bands... if they had more credibility among music experts, I'd care more...

I say Rush doesn't belong in that hall...

I just can't wait til they bow down to the embarassment and finally do let them in, and the band politely declines attending the ceremonies because they're busy on tour promoting their new album to hundreds of thousands of fans... I hope they boys are in their late 60's when this happens too...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 24 2011, 03:02 AM)
I was up late tonight and saw an infomercial for a DVD set called something like the best of 25 years of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It was a DVD of performances by artists in the RRHOF, I guess at their induction ceremonies. It had people like U2 and Bruce Springsteen and Simon & Garfunkel and Stevie Wonder and the Stones and a whole host of others.

It occurred to me while watching this that Rush, by comparison, is a sick joke of a band to the nominating committee. Rush have simply NEVER had the kind of legitimacy and stature of the artists who have been inducted. They've never truly been taken seriously, despite the strides they've made in the last few years, and I doubt they ever will be. Somehow I just can't see Rush being listed among those bands. That would mean that Rush would have to be acknowledged along who is considered to be the all time greats, and those people have their heads lodged so far up their asses, that I just don't see it happening EVER.

Mind you, I would love to be wrong here and see them get a shred of the credit they deserve (even though obviously by now the RRHOF is the one that's a sick joke), but I'm not seeing it. Growing up a Rush fan, I remember a lot of fellow fans, but mostly I remember the intense ridicule the band has always received, and that people have received just for being fans. I don't care how many gold and platinum albums this band has, they will simply always be marginalized.

For once, rushgoober, I agree with you.

I hope they make it, but they probably won't. And at this point f**k the RRHOF.

RUSH will just keep selling out tours all over the world and putting out Gold and Platinum records.

I have a selfish reason for wanting RUSH in, I would love to drive the 40 minutes to see them play there.

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Nov 24 2011, 08:32 PM)
I was up late tonight and saw an infomercial for a DVD set called something like the best of 25 years of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  It was a DVD of performances by artists in the RRHOF, I guess at their induction ceremonies.  It had people like U2 and Bruce Springsteen and Simon & Garfunkel and Stevie Wonder and the Stones and a whole host of others.

It occurred to me while watching this that Rush, by comparison, is a sick joke of a band to the nominating committee.  Rush have simply NEVER had the kind of legitimacy and stature of the artists who have been inducted.  They've never truly been taken seriously, despite the strides they've made in the last few years, and I doubt they ever will be.  Somehow I just can't see Rush being listed among those bands.  That would mean that Rush would have to be acknowledged along who is considered to be the all time greats, and those people have their heads lodged so far up their asses, that I just don't see it happening EVER.

Mind you, I would love to be wrong here and see them get a shred of the credit they deserve (even though obviously by now the RRHOF is the one that's a sick joke), but I'm not seeing it.  Growing up a Rush fan, I remember a lot of fellow fans, but mostly I remember the intense ridicule the band has always received, and that people have received just for being fans.  I don't care how many gold and platinum albums this band has, they will simply always be marginalized.

For once, rushgoober, I agree with you.

I hope they make it, but they probably won't. And at this point f**k the RRHOF.

RUSH will just keep selling out tours all over the world and putting out Gold and Platinum records.

I have a selfish reason for wanting RUSH in, I would love to drive the 40 minutes to see them play there.

I can guarantee you that Rush will not have any Gold or Platinum discs.

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Nov 24 2011, 12:20 PM)

yes it is, and Goobs...I hava a good idea for yer album by album discussion if yer still up for it

send me a PM bro...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 24 2011, 04:43 PM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Nov 24 2011, 12:20 PM)

send me a PM bro...

after dinner fo sho

It took a long time for Bob Seger and Alice Cooper to get in there, I suspect Rush will make it soon. Same with other overlooked influential bands like the Moody Blues or Jethro Tull.

Who have believed a guy like Leonard Cohen would get in there ahead of other Canadians like the Guess Who or Rush? It's probably all about your connections, more clearly if your drug connection is the same as Jan Wenner's or Dave Marsh's.

It occurred to me while watching this that Rush, by comparison, is a sick joke of a band to the nominating committee. Rush have simply NEVER had the kind of legitimacy and stature of the artists who have been inducted.

Because nothing says serious rock and roll like Run DMC and ABBA. Either way, I couldn't care less about the HOF and who it inducts.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 24 2011, 05:43 PM)
It occurred to me while watching this that Rush, by comparison, is a sick joke of a band to the nominating committee.  Rush have simply NEVER had the kind of legitimacy and stature of the artists who have been inducted.

Because nothing says serious rock and roll like Run DMC and ABBA. Either way, I couldn't care less about the HOF and who it inducts.

Oddly, while we know those groups are pretty much a joke, they both had a lot of mainstream success and acceptance, something that Rush doesn't have.