Ged answers his critics

eshine

... My retirement plan keeps getting pushed back. I we'll just keep playing it by ear. What we've learned over the last ten years in particular is just how unpredictable life is. So when it's good you just ride it. And right now things are very good for us. I don't think we've ever had an audience as big as we have now or been as well received around the world. And I don't think we've ever enjoyed playing as much as we do now. So we are really having a lot of fun right now. We're really luck and we do really like what we do and we like just hanging out with each other. I hadn't seen Alex in about a month and we got together the other day to work on some new stuff and just had the best time. We're all just natural friends and the relationship between the three of us is very much one of being three equals. ...

... If it gets to the point where one of us has had enough or we look at each other and kinda decide we've got nothing, we're out. I don't see that happening, but obviously there's gonna come a time when we don't feel we're playing as well as we have, and that will probably be the sign that says to hang it up. Neil had a bit of a revelation not long ago. He'd always been hesitant to tour but realized that as long as he can play the way he plays, he should be doing it, 'cause he wouldn't be able to play that way forever. And I think that's what's motivated us all to get out there and keep touring - do it while we can do it this well.

People associate rock and roll with a particular lifespan that they wouldn't attribute to say a painter or a writer. In rock and roll the clock seems to be always ticking and everyone seems to be waiting for you to run out of juice, declare you're old age and fly the flag. But I think this is an outdated way of looking at rock and roll that has largely been transcended now. It is now an art form as legitimate as every other art form and those involved in the industry should be allowed to play until they are no longer creative. ...

http://www.tidingsmag.com/features/an-inti....html?mid=53317

To all of the...

"oh my God, Geddy you have failed us. What happened??? Your voice is goooone.. what happened to Time Stand Stiiiill. Your straiiiining, your not enuuunciiiataatingg - your old, your weak... please, for the sake of my embarressment to my freinds and family who used to love your singing - just retire, nooooow"

...please, bite me.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God. Honestly, the Fed vocals are criticized because he sounded not like himself on the DVD.

He was flawless in Austin and El Paso.

If you truly are a rush fan, vocal performance shouldn't matter.. it's turning into a cliche l.nobody is perfect, and a voice like Gedys eventually goes away... just appreciate it!

Great write-up from Mr. Lee.

Exactly right...couldn't agree more.

RUSH will always be one of the greatest...

They keep growing older,and changing with the times.

How many bands can still be together, after almost 40 yrs.,

and still be modern and relevant???..not too many.

...LONG LIVE RUSH!!!!!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

From the get-go I have always thought the people complaining about Geddy's voice recently are over reacting a bit much

I have listened (and watched) the DVD as well as catching the 2 Los Angeles shows this year and Geddy sounds great. Lower pitched? Sure, but he still is able to do a good job with the melodies of the songs and he sure as hell can play the bass just as good as ever. In fact the entire band instrumentally is firing on all cylinders

And most importantly you can see that they are still passionate and creative musically and put a lot of effort into everything they do both live and in the studio

I just recently read a post here from a member that wanted Rush to become a "studio only" band because they were not pleased with their live performance recently. This has got to be the most ridiculous claim I have ever seen posted regarding Rush.

All in all: Rush still rocks. Nuff' said

QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Nov 23 2011, 12:42 AM)
From the get-go I have always thought the people complaining about Geddy's voice recently are over reacting a bit much

I have listened (and watched) the DVD as well as catching the 2 Los Angeles shows this year and Geddy sounds great. Lower pitched? Sure, but he still is able to do a good job with the melodies of the songs and he sure as hell can play the bass just as good as ever. In fact the entire band instrumentally is firing on all cylinders

And most importantly you can see that they are still passionate and creative musically and put a lot of effort into everything they do both live and in the studio

I just recently read a post here from a member that wanted Rush to become a "studio only" band because they were not pleased with their live performance recently. This has got to be the most ridiculous claim I have ever seen posted regarding Rush.

All in all: Rush still rocks. Nuff' said

goodpost.gif

Damn skippy! Go 2.gif !!!

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Nov 23 2011, 03:37 PM)

If you truly are a rush fan, vocal performance shouldn't matter.

First, I agree with everything Geddy said in that quote. Second, I have no problem with his voice these days. However, "vocal performance shouldn't matter"?! That makes no sense. If you love a band as much and as long as many Rush fans have, then vocal performance should DEFINITELY matter! If someone is a fan then they have every right to say his vocal performance isn't good or as good as it was 30 years ago. Being a fan doesn't mean you can't critique your favorite band.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 23 2011, 04:32 AM)

First, I agree with everything Geddy said in that quote. Second, I have no problem with his voice these days. However, "vocal performance shouldn't matter"?! That makes no sense. If you love a band as much and as long as many Rush fans have, then vocal performance should DEFINITELY matter! If someone is a fan then they have every right to say his vocal performance isn't good or as good as it was 30 years ago. Being a fan doesn't mean you can't critique your favorite band.

Agreed...well mostly...but the constant complaining about a 58 year old man's high singing voice getting lower as he gets older is so ridiculous. HE IS 58, NOT 28!

Why do people constantly beathorse.gif about something as basic as Geddy's voice changing as he is getting older? How many on this forum think they will be able to do ANYTHING like they could when they are/were in their 20's, 30's or 40's, when they are almost 60 freaking years old??????? Well, besides "critiquing"

To those who constantly complain about Geddy's voice, what would you like? Him to retire? No more RUSH because he doesn't sound like he did in 1977? (Ok...or 2007 because I know that would be the next thing said)

Just be happy, your supposed favorite band still is playing at a top level, making amazing music and still touring.

I hope Geddy, Alex or Neil NEVER come to this forum just for shyts and giggles and see what SOME of their supposed fans say. Again, feel free to critique all you want, but at what point do you just say he's almost 60 yrs old and lets be thankful he is still touring and making new music.

I personally, will take a low sounding Geddy, who can't sing ANY of the older music rather than him retiring.

So people who feel the need to constantly "critique" Geddy's voice...what is your solution...what do you want him to do...what do you expect...and when will you get tired of beathorse.gif ?

Just think what the reaction would be if Rush cancelled shows because Lee's vocal chords had got strained or he had a sore throat and therefore couldn't deliver an "acceptable" performance?

If a string gets broken it can be replaced. If an instrument fails it can be replaced. If Lee's voice falters because he is, believe it or not, a human being not a god, the show must go on unless he cannot sing at all or performing on the night would affect the chances of other dates being cancelled. Other than that the show must go on...

Edited by Tony R

I think it is reasonable to expect Rush fans on a Rush message board to discuss the lead singer's vocals and performance. Anyone who can't stand to read about that needs to get out more or grow a thicker skin.

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Nov 23 2011, 06:54 PM)

Agreed...well mostly...but the constant complaining about a 58 year old man's high singing voice getting lower as he gets older is so ridiculous. HE IS 58, NOT 28!

Why do people constantly beathorse.gif about something as basic as Geddy's voice changing as he is getting older? How many on this forum think they will be able to do ANYTHING like they could when they are/were in their 20's, 30's or 40's, when they are almost 60 freaking years old??????? Well, besides "critiquing"

To those who constantly complain about Geddy's voice, what would you like? Him to retire? No more RUSH because he doesn't sound like he did in 1977? (Ok...or 2007 because I know that would be the next thing said)

Just be happy, your supposed favorite band still is playing at a top level, making amazing music and still touring.

I hope Geddy, Alex or Neil NEVER come to this forum just for shyts and giggles and see what SOME of their supposed fans say. Again, feel free to critique all you want, but at what point do you just say he's almost 60 yrs old and lets be thankful he is still touring and making new music.

I personally, will take a low sounding Geddy, who can't sing ANY of the older music rather than him retiring.

So people who feel the need to constantly "critique" Geddy's voice...what is your solution...what do you want him to do...what do you expect...and when will you get tired of beathorse.gif ?

No man, you totally agree with me. You just don't like reading about bashing and whatnot. Of COURSE vocal performance matters. If it didn't matter then they could just hire any hack to sing and Geddy could concentrate on bass and keyboards...but that won't ever happen because: Geddy's vocal performance matters. yes.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 23 2011, 05:18 AM)

No man, you totally agree with me. You just don't like reading about bashing and whatnot. Of COURSE vocal performance matters. If it didn't matter then they could just hire any hack to sing and Geddy could concentrate on bass and keyboards...but that won't ever happen because: Geddy's vocal performance matters. yes.gif

Ok...we totally agree then.

I just want any of the Geddy voice bashers who constantly beathorse.gif and "critique" it to answer my questions in large print.

I'd love to hear them say, well if it's not perfection, then he should quit.

It just gets annoying to hear the same stupid "Geddy's voice isn't the same as it was 30 yrs ago...blah blah blah"

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Nov 23 2011, 10:30 AM)

I just want any of the Geddy voice bashers who constantly beathorse.gif and "critique" it to answer my questions in large print.

It just gets annoying to hear the same stupid "Geddy's voice isn't the same as it was 30 yrs ago...blah blah blah"

You put the eff in fanboy.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 23 2011, 05:38 AM)

Excellent argument as usual by Tony R. wink.gif

Next, go check my profile and make fun of stuff on there.

This is the RUSH FAN forum right? Ok...just making sure.

I think people critique Geddy's voice because they can, and it's something to talk about. Nothing more. Sure his voice isn't the same as it was some like it more, some not as much but I don't think (save a couple) there is anyone here who either hates his voice or thinks it sucks now....It's just opinions and something to discuss which is what this place is all about to begin with....Isn't it?

BYW...glad to hear the boys are happy.

Well, I'd like to think of this forum as a place where I can share whatever thoughts I may have on Rush's material, whether they be positive or negative, as long as the negative comments are being made in earnest and aren't simply attempts to irritate other fans.

My feeling on the Time Machine release is that the guys played their asses off and the set list was great, but Geddy's vocals are unappealing to the degree that I won't be giving the show as many listens as I do the other recorded Rush performances I own. No, I don't expect Geddy to deliver vocals as amazingly as he once did. But, when it comes to this particular performance, the decline that I perceive is actually proving to be a deterrent when I'm considering which Rush album to pull off the shelf for a listen.

People don't need to take that as some sort of assault on Geddy. They shouldn't take it as a sign that I don't respect what the man is doing or that I feel he should just throw in the towel. It's just how I feel about the release and about Geddy's vocals at this stage of the game.

And I have to say that I'm not a big fan of these confrontational "Do you think you'll be a great singer [or whatever] when you're sixty years old" posts. No, I don't expect that I will be a particularly strong singer when I'm Geddy's age. I also don't plan to be releasing any CDs for the world to hear when I reach that point in life, and if I were to, I'd understand that not everyone would enjoy what I'd be putting out there... and I'd like to think my hypothetical fans would understand that too.

Edited by Cyclonus X-1

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Nov 23 2011, 05:57 AM)
Well, I'd like to think of this forum as a place where I can share whatever thoughts I may have on Rush's material, whether they be positive or negative, as long as the negative comments are being made in earnest and aren't simply attempts to irritate other fans.

My feeling on the Time Machine release is that the guys played their asses off and the set list was great, but Geddy's vocals are unappealing to the degree that I won't be giving the show as many listens as I do the other recorded Rush performances I own. No, I don't expect Geddy to deliver vocals as amazingly as he once did. But, when it comes to this particular performance, the decline that I perceive is actually proving to be a deterrent when I'm considering which Rush album to pull off the shelf for a listen.

People don't need to take that as some sort of assault on Geddy. They shouldn't take it as a sign that I don't respect what the man is doing or that I feel he should just throw in the towel. It's just how I feel about the release and about Geddy's vocals at this stage of the game.

And I have to say that I'm not a big fan of these confrontational "Do you think you'll be a great singer [or whatever] when you're sixty years old" posts. No, I don't expect that I will be a particularly strong singer when I'm Geddy's age. I also don't plan to be releasing any CDs for the world to hear when I reach that point in life, and if I were to, I'd understand that not everyone would enjoy what I'd be putting out there... and I'd like to think my hypothetical fans would understand that too.

I think there is a difference to what you are saying and the constant "Geddy's voice sucks" posts.

Saying that he sang bad at a particular concert or on a DVD, that is one thing, but constantly debating about Geddy's voice when we all know it is what it is and it will never be the same, is another.

I still ask, the people who continually bring up Geddy's voice, what do you want him to do? Retire? Not sing songs that require his higher register at all anymore?

Again, to me there is a difference in saying, "last night Geddy had some problems singing xxxxx" Than continually beathorse.gif .

So, all I am saying is what is the answer? I mean to me, I don't mind what people discuss and feel free to constantly talk about Geddy's voice. I am just pointing out my opinion and asking, what do you want him to do? I am just giving the counter point to the continual question that is never going to go away because he ain't getting younger.

Oh...I know...the Time Machine from the last tour. He can use that and go back and get his younger self to come and sing all the high songs. Finally, it's resolved. Now we can move on to discussing other things. Because we all know with RUSH, there isn't really much to discuss.

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Nov 23 2011, 10:51 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 23 2011, 05:38 AM)

Excellent argument as usual by Tony R. wink.gif

Next, go check my profile and make fun of stuff on there.

This is the RUSH FAN forum right? Ok...just making sure.

Check out my other posts on this page. Your fanboyism is displaying the usual symptom of myopia. wink.gif

I used to think this was an infallible band when I was a young fan in the 80's - every album was stellar and magical. Then there were the two songs at the end of HYF, and then the mediocre Presto, and then the even worse Roll the Bones. I knew then that my heroes were no longer beyond redemption.

In recent years there has been the unfortunate several year gap between albums in favor of making The Big Money touring. They're such nice guys and they frame things so nicely and diplomatically that most people don't pay any attention to this fact, automatically forgive them, give them the benefit of the doubt and accept the reasoning they give for their actions or lack thereof, and/or simply refuse to say (or even think) anything unpleasant about their favorite band.

I also used to think their professionalism wouldn't allow them to continue on with a glaring deficiency, that is to say the pink elephant in the room that is Geddy's deteriorating voice. I was wrong about that too.

So, ok, they're human, very human, capable of making inferior songs and albums, doing shameless cash grab multiple leg tours without albums, playing at way less than peak ability (though their musical chops are better than ever), etc. It is what it is. Many, many fans will obviously keep on forking over the cash no matter what, so I guess in the end that's what's important. Even I will buy the new album when it comes out.

Don't get me wrong, as much as some would love to call me "not a real Rush fan" or whatever, I'm still grateful for many years of great music, more great albums than most bands will ever come close to making and decades of fandom. I will still love and appreciate this band's history no matter what.

That said, I do think they should retire, or at least be seriously considering it VERY soon (one more tour TOPS), before their legacy gets more tarnished with another bad or mediocre album (though I'd be thrilled to be wrong on that one and love some or most of CA, just like I loved at least half of S&A), and another endless tour with even worse vocals.

Ah, freedom of expression - don't you love it?! wink.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Nov 23 2011, 12:52 AM)
... People associate rock and roll with a particular lifespan that they wouldn't attribute to say a painter or a writer. In rock and roll the clock seems to be always ticking and everyone seems to be waiting for you to run out of juice, declare you're old age and fly the flag. But I think this is an outdated way of looking at rock and roll that has largely been transcended now. It is now an art form as legitimate as every other art form and those involved in the industry should be allowed to play until they are no longer creative. ...

^^This. I wouldnt have thought this myself, but he's absolutely right. And thank Ged he is.

I never bitch about his voice, it is what it is. They should have filmed the M.S.G. show , he kicked ass that night . The Cleveland d.v.d. does Not represent his best show on that tour.

How is Ged answering his critics in this article? He doesn't mention his voice, he just talks about how they will tour as long as they want.

Geddy Lee is not the Singer he was 30 years ago. Its quite obvious. On some of the lower register songs, he sounds fine. But on so many classic tunes, he struggles.

I don't think they are done just yet. But it sucks hearing him strain these days.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 23 2011, 06:58 AM)
How is Ged answering his critics in this article? He doesn't mention his voice, he just talks about how they will tour as long as they want.

Geddy Lee is not the Singer he was 30 years ago. Its quite obvious. On some of the lower register songs, he sounds fine. But on so many classic tunes, he struggles.

I don't think they are done just yet. But it sucks hearing him strain these days.

goodpost.gif