What is so appealing about ATWAS?

D3strukt

I think the Set list is great . I think Exit is a better album but i always thought Stage had a better sound. Exit sounds meh

I don't think the production is great at all but the vibe and the drive of only three members kickin' ass on that stage is legendary. The guitar is louder than anything else and I savor it because in hindsight we learn it would be the end of their guitar riff era. I love this album. I think I'll give this LP a spin 2.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 22 2011, 06:25 PM)
I think the Set list is great . I think Exit is a better album but i always thought Stage had a better sound. Exit sounds meh

that's because of all the studio edits made after the fact.

I haven't listened in a long time but I always thought it was over-rated as well. Don't they play kind of sloppy by Rush standards? I do know that Neil still wasn't refined yet in those days and some of his fills are ridiculous.(not in a good way) Overplaying in a Keith Moon sort of way. Thankfully later he learned how to play busy and musically at the same time which is what made him a legend.

Love the Working Man/Finding My Way/Drum Solo Medley. I also love "What You're Doing" - one of their most underrated pieces IMO.

Sure, it's raw and unpolished, but they'd only been together for two years and they were very very young at the time.

And where else can you listen to "In The End" live, anyway?

Clem

Because it rocks! 1022.gif 2.gif

The sound quality is just fine, IMO, and there's no denying the power of the performance.

Besides, you get a kick-butt version of Neil's solo, What You'e Doing, and Bastille Day! What's not to like?

smile.gif

What's so appealing about ATWAS?

To me, absolutely nothing. I hate live albums and the sound on this one is indicative of why I hate them.

The best I can say is: the original record included some good photos.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Nov 22 2011, 09:41 PM)
The first 2 live albums are the only 2 albums worth spending time on. Raw, unpolished, sloppy, unrefined, overplaying, blah, blah, blah. These are hardly negatives in describing what they're playing live: rock 'n' roll. I wish I was old enough to have seen them then.

This.

One of the complaints about Rush is that they are stiff musicians who play perfect all the time with no edge....this album shows the raw side of them...I prefer this era over A Show of Hands...

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 22 2011, 04:22 PM)
Here we go again...

Anyway, it's my favorite Rush live album and the only one I listen to with any regularity.

The mix sound just fine to my primitive ears.

Same here. I dont listen to any of the other live albums.

it set their live standard

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 22 2011, 10:06 PM)
The first 2 live albums are the only 2 albums worth spending time on. Raw, unpolished, sloppy, unrefined, overplaying, blah, blah, blah. These are hardly negatives in describing what they're playing live: rock 'n' roll. I wish I was old enough to have seen them then.

This.

One of the complaints about Rush is that they are stiff musicians who play perfect all the time with no edge....this album shows the raw side of them...I prefer this era over A Show of Hands...

x2

The appeal to me is the raw energy and a somewhat looser approach they had in their early years when they weren't as strictly trying to reproduce the studio versions so much, allowing for at least some spontaneity. A healthy dose of material from the first album is also a plus.

Edited by Silas Lang

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Nov 22 2011, 05:16 PM)
Alex overpowers EVERYONE.

Maybe it's because I'm a guitarist myself, but I love the prominence of the guitar on ATWAS. I also dig the raw, unpolished sound. Geddy's vocals are great, and the set list makes for a fine sampling of early-days Rush. It gets off to a kick-ass start with Bastille Day and Anthem, and the drum solo is excellent.

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Nov 23 2011, 04:30 AM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Nov 22 2011, 05:16 PM)
Alex overpowers EVERYONE.

Maybe it's because I'm a guitarist myself, but I love the prominence of the guitar on ATWAS. I also dig the raw, unpolished sound. Geddy's vocals are great, and the set list makes for a fine sampling of early-days Rush. It gets off to a kick-ass start with Bastille Day and Anthem, and the drum solo is excellent.

always be my favorite of all Neil's solos

It's RUSH's best live album,by far.

It's also one of the best live LP's of the 70's.

There's some classic Lifeson pedal work

on that one,especially the song By-tor.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Nov 23 2011, 12:28 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 22 2011, 10:06 PM)

This.

x2

The appeal to me is the raw energy and a somewhat looser approach they had in their early years when they weren't as strictly trying to reproduce the studio versions so much, allowing for at least some spontaneity. A healthy dose of material from the first album is also a plus.