Who was/is the best producer post-Terry Brown?

GUP1771

Who is the best producer post-Terry Brown?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best producer post-Terry Brown?

• Peter Henderson (GUP)
    • Peter Collins (PoW, HYF, CP, TFE)
    • Rupert Hine (Presto, RTB)
    • Paul Northfield (VT)
    • Nick Raskulinecz (S&A, CA*)

So, who do you think was/is the best producer for Rush? Who do you think did/is doing a great job guiding the band? By the way, I made the thread to be post Terry Brown because there seems to be a general consensus that he was the best producer.

*Just a little note, I added Clockwork Angels to Nick Raskulinecz because we have two songs from that album, and since the two songs indicate what's is to come, I thought it would be fair to include it.

And just as a follow up question, who do you think was/is 'not up to par'? Who did/is doing more harm than good for the band? I feel the word 'worst' is a bit demeaning to use, but I guess it's the same thing all said and done.

And lastly, do you think the band should have Terry Brown back as producer for a future album, or do you admire them for continuing to move onward and work with different people? Have at it! biggrin.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna go with Peter Collins too. He got the bad back into the "old school" method of recording. Without doing that, CP would have been a totally different album.

Even if you had Terry Brown in that poll, I would still say that Peter Collins was by far the best producer they've had. Terry Brown only gets recognition because he was the producer during everyones favorite period of the band and wasn't producer during their least favorite period of the band. Collins demonstrated he can make an album sound great whether they're putting an emphasis on atmosphere and synths (PoW and HYF) or getting grungy and raw (CP and T4E)--pretty much Rush's polar opposites sound-wise. He understood that Rush was a constantly evolving band and made sure they sounded their best doing it. Brown and Raskulinecz have shown that they have this deep-stemmed opinion of what Rush should be doing and how they should sound.

If I had to rank the producers (honestly, I can't really speak about Henderson and Northfield--one album isn't really enough to appropriately judge):

1. Peter Collins

2. Terry Brown

3. Rupert Hine (I'm not going to bitch that Presto and RTB don't have enough balls like everyone else, I just got the sense that he didn't really understand the workings of the band and how best to approach the respective albums).

4. Nick Raskulinecz (Can't stand him--he's a metalhead who pretends he's a Rush fan. Based on the interviews and footage I've seen of him, the extent of him being a Rush fan must have ended with Hemispheres--I haven't seen any proof he's influenced them as much as he'd like to think).

Peter Collins, absolutely.

I'm sure people will be piling on Paul Northfield pretty soon, but I think he gets more flak than he deserves. There's a good chance he didn't have much of a say in the notorious mastering job on VT, especially given his background as an engineer for the band. Once you look past that, there's some really interesting arrangements on the album, and if he had anything at all to do with the instrumental section on Secret Touch, he deserves praise.

Least favourite: Rupert Hine.

Peter Collins for sure!!

Let's hope that Nick does a better job on "Clockwork Angels."

I read today that the new Rush album will be done in December and released in late January or early February.

Let's hope they don't "Rush" this thing.

1022.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 1 2011, 01:29 AM)
Peter Collins for sure!!

Let's hope that Nick does a better job on "Clockwork Angels."

I read today that the new Rush album will be done in December and released in late January or early February.

Let's hope they don't "Rush" this thing.

1022.gif

Same!

trink36.gif trink36.gif trink36.gif trink36.gif trink36.gif trink36.gif trink36.gif

trink36.gif trink36.gif trink36.gif trink36.gif trink36.gif trink36.gif trink36.gif

It's hard for me to cast a vote as I think they're all good, nay, great producers, even the legendary Terry "Broon" Brown.

Each producer is different - they all have different ideas; some help a band grow, others drive it into a standstill. If it works, it works - if it doesn't, it doesn't.

I'd love to see Terry produce another album with Rush. I'm sure I read somewhere that Ged said that they as a band would also love that. I'm not sure if or when that'll happen, but maybe one day. My honest guess that when the time comes for the band to call it quits, maybe that's when they'll ask Terry to come back to do their last album.

This is me being honest. Don't flame me for that.

2.gif

I chose Nick R by a hair over Peter Collins, simply because I feel he "gets" what the Rush sound is all about -- solid bass and drums, with Al's guitar filling up the atmospherics of a song / album. Sonically textural without sounding over-cooked.

As for the poster who feels Nick R is not a solid Rush fan, I don't know the guy, can't speak for him, but he seems like the real deal to me. I remember reading an interview with Ged back when S&A came out and he mentioned Nick singing songs off of Signals, like Chemistry, that Ged couldn't believe the guy knew. Ged at least seemed to get the impression Nick is a real fan.

I liked his work on S&A and that is coming from someone who thinks the album is weak. The production is great, though, just the songwriting is weak, IMO. Too bad he didn't work on VT.

But Peter Collins is great too. And so is Broon. I wish he had done GuP. Peter Henderson did nothing for that album. Based on what I read in Contents Under Pressure, the guy was wishy washy and I think some great songs were left cold and flat.

2.gif

QUOTE (Scars @ Nov 1 2011, 12:38 AM)
Even if you had Terry Brown in that poll, I would still say that Peter Collins was by far the best producer they've had. Terry Brown only gets recognition because he was the producer during everyones favorite period of the band and wasn't producer during their least favorite period of the band. Collins demonstrated he can make an album sound great whether they're putting an emphasis on atmosphere and synths (PoW and HYF) or getting grungy and raw (CP and T4E)--pretty much Rush's polar opposites sound-wise. He understood that Rush was a constantly evolving band and made sure they sounded their best doing it. Brown and Raskulinecz have shown that they have this deep-stemmed opinion of what Rush should be doing and how they should sound.

goodpost.gif

Bingo.

Terry Brown was a fantastic producer. No doubt about it. He was there during Rush's greatest period, and helped them produce their best work. However, read way too much into that IMO.

People seem to forget that the songs that were written at that time are what they truly love about those albums...not just the sound. The best sound in the world isn't going to save a shitty song or album. Plain and simple. Contrary to popular belief, Terry Brown coming back into the fold in 2011 is NOT going to equal another MP or Hemispheres.

The same goes for Peter Collins...him coming back doesn't mean we will get another PoW or CP. At the end of the day, it's still up to the Ged, Alex, and Neil to bring the material to the table.

Anyways, I am in agreement with PETER COLLINS. I hadn't even opened up the thread and already thought him immediately. IMO, Power Windows and Counterparts are two of the best sounding Rush records. They were both produced perfectly.

Edited by EmotionDetector

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 1 2011, 07:25 AM)
Plain and simple. Contrary to popular belief, Terry Brown coming back into the fold in 2011 is NOT going to equal another MP or Hemispheres.

THIS.

I hate it when people get all gushy about the idea of Terry Brown working with the band again. You can't turn back time, and the notion that a 20xx Rush record would capture the same sound and feel of the late 70's albums is ludicrous.

It's the same reason thinking that bringing Roth back to Van Halen will automatically take us back to 1982 is so silly.

Three decades have passed, these are different people than they once were.

Peter Collins hands down! He produced 2 of my favourite Rush albums - PoW and HYF. I also think Counterparts is one of their best sounding albums.

Why on earth the band kept hold of Rupert Hine after he made such a cock-up of the production of Presto is beyond me. confused13.gif

Seriously why did they keep him?!

I'm tempted to say Booujze, but it might be a bit premature to say so: he's only produced one album. Otherwise, my vote goes to Peter Collins. (And look at that: Mr. Big and Booujze have the most votes. I guess I'm in the majority.)

Hine and Henderson were both too dry, and Northfield - who knows, maybe if it weren't for the "clipping" on Vapor Trails, he'd otherwise be viewed as a great producer.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 1 2011, 08:34 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 1 2011, 07:25 AM)
Plain and simple. Contrary to popular belief, Terry Brown coming back into the fold in 2011 is NOT going to equal another MP or Hemispheres.

THIS.

I hate it when people get all gushy about the idea of Terry Brown working with the band again. You can't turn back time, and the notion that a 20xx Rush record would capture the same sound and feel of the late 70's albums is ludicrous.

Three decades have passed, these are different people than they once were.

yes.gif

Brown was a great producer for Rush and the fourth member of the band, but I don't get all Romantic about the idea of him coming back, and I don't believe his presence would automatically mean a 1970s sounding Rush album in the 2000s.

"Gee, wouldn't it be swell if Broon produced for Rush again?" Yeah, but the chances of that happening are very slim and it'll still sound like "new" Rush, not Rush circa AFTK.

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Nov 1 2011, 07:55 AM)
Why on earth the band kept hold of Rupert Hine after he made such a cock-up of the production of Presto is beyond me. confused13.gif

Because there's nothing wrong with Presto. It sounds like the band wanted it to sound, it sold respectably, and it has a ton of fans.

They were a 25-year-old band at the time - producers don't tell *them* what to do, the band tells the producer what *they* want to do, and the producer's job is to help them get there. If they wanted to put out an album of polka covers, the producer wouldn't be responsible for convincing them not to.

They wanted Presto to be a more back-to-basics, stripped-down(ish), vocal-and-melody-heavy album. That's that they got. Hine helped them achieve that.

Nick, with Collins as a close second (only because of CP)

The rest tied for DEAD LAST!

I would be interested to see what Terry Brown would do with them in this day and age...heck it's been 30 years since he's worked with them, WHY NOT?!?!

P.C. I don't like HY tongue.gif but the rest is just fine yes.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Nov 1 2011, 12:26 PM)
I thought Kevin Shirley did Counterparts... confused13.gif

He was just the recording engineer, nothing more. They even brought in a different engineer, Michael Letho, to mix it.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 1 2011, 10:26 AM)
QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Nov 1 2011, 07:55 AM)
Why on earth the band kept hold of Rupert Hine after he made such a cock-up of the production of Presto is beyond me.  confused13.gif

Because there's nothing wrong with Presto. It sounds like the band wanted it to sound, it sold respectably, and it has a ton of fans.

They were a 25-year-old band at the time - producers don't tell *them* what to do, the band tells the producer what *they* want to do, and the producer's job is to help them get there. If they wanted to put out an album of polka covers, the producer wouldn't be responsible for convincing them not to.

They wanted Presto to be a more back-to-basics, stripped-down(ish), vocal-and-melody-heavy album. That's that they got. Hine helped them achieve that.

goodpost.gif I love the production of Presto.