War Paint

Zanadoo

KILLER song!! One of the best from an incredible album. My favorite thing about this song are Neil's fills during the 1st and 2nd verse. His fills are really high on the toms when describing the girl during the 1st verse, coinciding with the daintiness of the girl. Then low and hard on the toms during the 2nd verse... tough and strong like the boy.

Brilliance. That's all I can say. Sheer, unadulterated brilliance!!

I think they lyrics are pretty terrible. The concepts presented are worthwhile, but it's such a heavy-handed goofy delivery getting them across.

Here's the part where I was going to quote selected lyrics to illustrate my point, but really it's the whole song. It might not be as bad as "season of the itch" and "chasing cars in doggie heaven," but "boys and girls together" and "let's paint the mirror black" is pretty up there among the badness level of "net boy net girl" and "put your message in a modem and throw it in the cyber sea."

Oh well, I picked out some individual lyrics after all. This is so often why the whole era from Presto onwards can be so weak, obviously with notable exceptions, especially on Counterparts and Snakes & Arrows. The lyrics just too often don't cut it, and the music can't overcome this deficit.

smilies-8579.png

Okay, I love this song...

...up until about 4:24, and then I'm like "oh my god this is SO CHEESY just stop, please stop".

Which is really too bad. I adore the beginning. IMO it's just about flawless, if not the greatest song in the universe. But those last sixty seconds, maybe even less..? I sometimes hit the next button then just 'cause I can't stand it.

Only part of Presto I truly dislike.

Edited by CMWriter

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 30 2011, 01:15 PM)
I think they lyrics are pretty terrible. The concepts presented are worthwhile, but it's such a heavy-handed goofy delivery getting them across.

Here's the part where I was going to quote selected lyrics to illustrate my point, but really it's the whole song. It might not be as bad as "season of the itch" and "chasing cars in doggie heaven," but "boys and girls together" and "let's paint the mirror black" is pretty up there among the badness level of "net boy net girl" and "put your message in a modem and throw it in the cyber sea."

Oh well, I picked out some individual lyrics after all. This is so often why the whole era from Presto onwards can be so weak, obviously with notable exceptions, especially on Counterparts and Snakes & Arrows. The lyrics just too often don't cut it, and the music can't overcome this deficit.

smilies-8579.png

Presto contains some of Neils strongest lyrics. This is perfectly evident in the ease with wich Geddy is able to write such good melodies around them, versus the awkward, shoehorned lyrics of, say, HYF.

The lyrics are certainly no less chessy then much of their older material, unless you consider songs about 100100-1-SOS, or snowdogs or fast breaks on honey-doo to be literary masterpeices wink.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Oct 30 2011, 02:04 PM)
I think they lyrics are pretty terrible.  The concepts presented are worthwhile, but it's such a heavy-handed goofy delivery getting them across.

Here's the part where I was going to quote selected lyrics to illustrate my point, but really it's the whole song.  It might not be as bad as "season of the itch" and "chasing cars in doggie heaven," but "boys and girls together" and "let's paint the mirror black" is pretty up there among the badness level of "net boy net girl" and "put your message in a modem and throw it in the cyber sea."

Oh well, I picked out some individual lyrics after all.  This is so often why the whole era from Presto onwards can be so weak, obviously with notable exceptions, especially on Counterparts and Snakes & Arrows.  The lyrics just too often don't cut it, and the music can't overcome this deficit.

smilies-8579.png

Presto contains some of Neils strongest lyrics. This is perfectly evident in the ease with wich Geddy is able to write such good melodies around them, versus the awkward, shoehorned lyrics of, say, HYF.

The lyrics are certainly no less chessy then much of their older material, unless you consider songs about 100100-1-SOS, or snowdogs or fast breaks on honey-doo to be literary masterpeices wink.gif

See, now I think the lyrics on HYF are GREAT (the last two songs being notable exceptions). It's Presto where the lyrical quality really took a nosedive. In general, with the exceptions of The Pass and Chain Lightning, I find it to be a very mediocre album, and the problem, unfortunately, is the lyrics.

I think they lyrics are pretty terrible.  The concepts presented are worthwhile, but it's such a heavy-handed goofy delivery getting them across.

A perfect example of how music impacts us all in different ways, I love the song and the message it delivers and don't find it to be cheesy at all. All opinions are respected when it comes to music, it's such a personal thing.

I think it is a decent song, definitely very rocking. Presto is such an underrated album, and I think that War Paint suffers from the other songs on the album being so good. It is sandwiched between The Pass and Scars which are like the greatest songs ever so... yeah. confused13.gif

And just for good measure I may as well rate the songs on Presto:

Deserve to be worshiped

The Pass

Red Tide

Scars

Presto

Show Don't Tell

Deserve slightly smaller shrines than the songs above

Hand Over Fist

Available Light

War Paint

Chain Lightning

Sort of like a high school wanna-be

Superconductor

I LOVE THIS SONG!!!! (sarcasm hand raised)

Anagram

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Oct 31 2011, 09:13 AM)
I think what really makes the song for me is the vocal arrangement. It's what separates Presto from any other album, beautifully constructed vocals.

THIS!

Rupert Hine may not have given Rush an edgy, hard rock sound - but he was instrumental in teaching Geddy how to use his voice.

Presto is Geddy's tour-de-force.

The simplicity of the lyrics are of benefit as well.

I find the lyrics charming and uplifting without being overtly "cheesy".

I think that this was one of the better sounding Presto songs played on this tour. When I heard it live I gained a new appreciation for it. This album recently has become one of my favorite listens. Superconductor really should have been left off though.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Oct 30 2011, 01:54 PM)
Okay, I love this song...
...up until about 4:24, and then I'm like "oh my god this is SO CHEESY just stop, please stop".

Which is really too bad. I adore the beginning. IMO it's just about flawless, if not the greatest song in the universe. But those last sixty seconds, maybe even less..? I sometimes hit the next button then just 'cause I can't stand it.

Only part of Presto I truly dislike.

yes.gif

My least favorite song on the album. But, since I love this album to bits, that's still pretty good. I love the concept - the mirror always lies - but the lyrics are bordering on the trite and cheesy. Well, we all have our off days.... laugh.gif

IMO, the lyrics are great at bringing to life the situations he's talking about. I feel like they're real people. And I for one love the "girls and boys together" and "the mirror always lies" and "paint the mirror black" fade-out of the chorus - I get really into singing it.