Why so much hate?

Czarcasm

Hey guys, I've been here for a few months now, just lurking and seeing what this place is like.

So I've got a question for you. Why do you guys hate Roll the Bones, Test for Echo, Vapor Trails and Snakes And Arrows? Hell, you guys seem to put down everything post 1985 almost. (except, Counterparts. You guys eat that one up for some reason.)

Yet while you do this, you wet your pants when some one mentions aFtK , CoS or Hemispheres. Do you guys always have your nostalgia glasses on? Do you simply like Rush's 3 proggiest albums more than straightforward Rock and Pop?

I agree, Dog Years is terrible and the Colour of Right puts me to sleep. Test for Echo is still an amazing album and I like it more than Hemispheres.

Roll the bones has some of Rush's best work from the past 20 years. At least 60% of the songs are great, despite the lousy production.

Hold Your Fire took the keyboards of Power windows and streamlined them, adding more Atmosphere and emotion to them. While being Rush's most "poppy" album, it's still in my top 5.

Can you guys provide explanation for this? The idea of someone liking Caress of steel more than Power Windows or Hold Your Fire almost blows my mind.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I'd say anybody hates a particular Rush album. It's all subjective you know. Test for Echo is at the bottom of my list. It's like a garage band playing. To quote Miles Davis regarding listening to a white band versus a black band, "(the music) doesn't go into my body". In other words, Test for Echo music lacks feeling, soul, karma, something that makes your mood go a certain direction. I hear people playing instruments and Geddy Lee singing, but that's all there is to it.

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Sep 17 2011, 12:04 PM)
Hey guys, I've been here for a few months now, just lurking and seeing what this place is like.

So I've got a question for you. Why do you guys hate Roll the Bones, Test for Echo, Vapor Trails and Snakes And Arrows? Hell, you guys seem to put down everything post 1985 almost. (except, Counterparts. You guys eat that one up for some reason.)

Yet while you do this, you wet your pants when some one mentions aFtK , CoS or Hemispheres. Do you guys always have your nostalgia glasses on? Do you simply like Rush's 3 proggiest albums more than straightforward Rock and Pop?

I agree, Dog Years is terrible and the Colour of Right puts me to sleep. Test for Echo is still an amazing album and I like it more than Hemispheres.
Roll the bones has some of Rush's best work from the past 20 years. At least 60% of the songs are great, despite the lousy production.
Hold Your Fire took the keyboards of Power windows and streamlined them, adding more Atmosphere and emotion to them. While being Rush's most "poppy" album, it's still in my top 5.

Can you guys provide explanation for this? The idea of someone liking Caress of steel more than Power Windows or Hold Your Fire almost blows my mind.

What are you getting at? Just because many other people's opinions don't match yours doesn't mean they're hateful or ignorant. Some of them have been listening to Rush for more than 30 years. If they want to hate a a particular album or song they have the right to do so.

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Sep 17 2011, 06:04 PM)
Do you simply like Rush's 3 proggiest albums more than straightforward Rock and Pop?

That about hits the nail on the head for me.

VT is a favorite of mine, and Snakes has great production and three solid instrumentals that I can listen to over and over. I'll admit I'm not much of a T4E fan, although the tour was stellar. As mentioned, it feels lifeless. Strangely, I am a rare fan of Dog Years though (why you hatin' on it so bad? tongue.gif )

There is a pretty steady "Old RUSH good, New RUSH bad" vibe, but if you look you'll see it's pretty tongue in cheek. A couple of stalwart anti-new stuff posters (Goobs & VT laugh.gif ), but all in all the later RUSH stuff gets a lot of love. To me it seems HYF gets more enthusiastic praise than most any other album (not from me wink.gif ).

Welcome, BTW. bekloppt.gif

That's four emoticons. Not a bad day's work.

trink39.gif

(5)

QUOTE (Chicken hawk @ Sep 17 2011, 11:27 AM)
How could anybody not like a particular RUSH album? Fans take it all in and live by it. I love Roll THE Bones for the song "BRAVADO" my favorite but the whole album is a winner!

I don't like Moving Pictures, Roll The Bones or TFE/VT because they're shit confused13.gif

I don't hate RTB, I just don't like Face Up, Heresy, Where's My Thing, and You Bet You're Life

I don't hate T4E, I just don't like Dog Years and most of Virtuality

I don't hate Presto...in fact, I love Presto...I do, however, hate Superconductor.

Every album other than that I like from start to finish...even S&A. In fact, HYF and PoW are two of my favorites. Marathon was one of the tracks I did not care for but I got a new love for it after hearing it live last tour.

Being that I am older, I relate more to the older stuff...it takes me back to that time. The newer albums do too, but not with the same nostalgia.

In conclusion, on this forum, only 1 people really use the term "hate". It's no surprise, those who hate Rush's albums are not on this forum. Or they are on this forum only to create chaos. pokey.gif

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Sep 17 2011, 06:51 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 17 2011, 12:44 PM)
I don't hate any of them - I absolutely love them. Not a thing wrong with any song.

Pffft...!

Good one, Babycat.

tongue.gif

I'm being serious!

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Sep 17 2011, 12:04 PM)

I don't get it either. I think everything Rush has put out surpasses most junk in the mainstream today. And just to throw it out there, CoS is at the bottom of my list. Test for Echo is low on my list, but it produced awesome gems like Test for Echo, Resist, Driven, How It Is, and Half the World. I love how Rush has evolved, and they have provided a diverse palette of music for me to enjoy. No hate from this guy.

People have their own tastes. Some tastes are a lot more widespread than others. Yes, a lot of people don't like CoS, but a lot of people do like it too. Some people hate VT, some people love it, some people want to erase it from existance, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Nobody can stand up and say "This music is good, this music is bad and anyone who thinks otherwise is ignorant and/or stupid". It was that kind of mentality that Europeans used to invade countries they considered "underdeveloped" and "barbaric".

I agree with the general idea that a large percentage of TRFers do not like the albums mentioned. However, I like almost all of them!

PoW - Strong material from what I've heard, but I haven't listened to it much.

HYF - I love some songs, haven't listened to the rest that much.

Presto - My 2nd favorite album! wub.gif All the song are VERY strong here.(Yes, even Superconductor smile.gif)

RTB - Some songs are great... others are a bit too pop-ish

CP - Great album! yes.gif 1022.gif Some very hard rockers on this album.

TFE - 5th or 6th album for me. Great stuff, but a few more bad songs than usual. (like, 2)

VT - Don't own it... Haven't listened to it much.... ummm...... I like the 3 songs I've heard??? confused13.gif

S&A - Listened to it through a few times. Liked most songs. I've heard (and liked) some songs more than others.

Caravan / BU2B - Caravan is amazing,BU2B... not so much

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Sep 17 2011, 12:34 PM)
Just because many other people's opinions don't match yours doesn't mean they're hateful or ignorant. Some of them have been listening to Rush for more than 30 years. If they want to hate a a particular album or song they have the right to do so.

I agree with you, if somebody likes this and not that, who cares. There's plenty of Rush to go around (and thousands of other bands to love as well).

and as for "wetting my pants" while listening to Hemispheres or AFTK, I have many times and might just do that today again in honor of this stupid thread. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Sep 17 2011, 08:08 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Sep 17 2011, 12:34 PM)
Just because many other people's opinions don't match yours doesn't mean they're hateful or ignorant. Some of them have been listening to Rush for more than 30 years. If they want to hate a a particular album or song they have the right to do so.

I agree with you, if somebody likes this and not that, who cares. There's plenty of Rush to go around (and thousands of other bands to love as well).

and as for "wetting my pants" while listening to Hemispheres or AFTK, I have many times and might just do that today again in honor of this stupid thread. laugh.gif

I even wet my pants thinking about listening to those albums. laugh.gif