Clockwork Angels

FeelingUnlimited

I've heard September 15 thrown around by some people as the date when Rush will resume work on CA. If they're sticking to their plan of having it recorded by the end of the year, it seems odd that there hasn't been any news about their progress lately. During the "winter break" between tour legs it seems like there was a new interview every few days, and now... nothing. It seems like we would get at least a small hint of when they plan to re-enter the studio.

I'm very excited about CA because it's the first time I'll have ever experienced an album's creation from the ground up. I've always loved music but until I got into Rush in 2008, I didn't get into particular bands enough to know about new projects until they were released. I have been waiting for almost 2 years for this thing to come out, and the wait's been killer. It's not the delay in listening to it that bugs me, it's knowing that the album still isn't completed. Once I know that it's finished I can take it whenever it comes. I'd just hate for something to come up that prevents them from finishing, when they've had so much time to do so.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So interesting...

I was thinking earlier today about tomorrows date. ( I'd read that Sept 15th was the date they'd planned to resume work ). Now that it's here, I agree that they're still likely taking a break. Just seems like it hasn't been a long enough break for the boys... especially Ged and Neil.

I think it's back to work soon though, as Rich Chycki mentioned a month or two ago that he was scoping out studios for the drums.

I wonder if they will re-record Caravan and BU2B being that you can get different sonic qualities from different studios? I would say yes but I don't think they will change the arrangement on those songs. It would be all right with me if they bring the keys up even more in the mix next time on BU2B:)

QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 15 2011, 03:13 AM)
I wonder if they will re-record Caravan and BU2B being that you can get different sonic qualities from different studios? I would say yes but I don't think they will change the arrangement on those songs. It would be all right with me if they bring the keys up even more in the mix next time on BU2B:)

It would make sense for them to do this. Not only will it achieve a constant sonic quality to the album - especially the drums which are effected by environment the most.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 14 2011, 10:56 PM)
The digital version of Caravan and BU2B said "single version" so I'd guess that they will re-record them.

As for the delay, its understandable. Neil has a newborn daughter and I'm sure he wants to spend a lot of time with her.

When Far Cry was released it was also called "single version" on iTunes. However, I don't recall a remix/re-record of it. On the other hand, I really hope they re-record it because it's been 2 years since the song was released and Geddy kept saying how the album is evolving over the course of the tour. Well let's see that evolution!

QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 14 2011, 05:50 PM)
I don't think they have an EXACT day to start on it but yes it was supposed to be mid September. Knowing Rush it won't happen til mid October or November.

Since I'm one of the ones throwing that date around, I will tell you that Peggi Ciccone told me last month that she had strict orders not to bother the Boyz until mid-September. So I was going by that.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Sep 16 2011, 04:41 AM)
I don't think they have an EXACT day to start on it but yes it was supposed to be mid September. Knowing Rush it won't happen til mid October or November.

Since I'm one of the ones throwing that date around, I will tell you that Peggi Ciccone told me last month that she had strict orders not to bother the Boyz until mid-September. So I was going by that.

Who is she?

QUOTE (FeelingUnlimited @ Sep 14 2011, 07:22 PM)
I've heard September 15 thrown around by some people as the date when Rush will resume work on CA.

Not to be a jerk but how would the day Rush resumed work on this album be a big day? It would be nice to hear those slackers are finally going to finish what they started seemingly a lifetime ago. A big day? I will reserve that for the day I can actually buy it.

By the way, does anyone else think Caravan and BU2B should be omitted from the new album since they will be like 10 year songs by the time the album gets released. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 16 2011, 05:18 PM)
I've heard September 15 thrown around by some people as the date when Rush will resume work on CA.

Not to be a jerk but how would the day Rush resumed work on this album be a big day? It would be nice to hear those slackers are finally going to finish what they started seemingly a lifetime ago. A big day? I will reserve that for the day I can actually buy it.

By the way, does anyone else think Caravan and BU2B should be omitted from the new album since they will be like 10 year songs by the time the album gets released. atickhum.gif

Because it seems like they will never ever finish it, so any small step in that direction is exciting to me.

QUOTE (FeelingUnlimited @ Sep 16 2011, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Sep 16 2011, 05:18 PM)

Because it seems like they will never ever finish it, so any small step in that direction is exciting to me.

Ok then. Be excited.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 16 2011, 07:46 PM)
Omit Caravan and BU2B? Are you crazy? Those are two of the best songs I've heard from them in a long time.

Yes I'm crazy. Its widely known around these parts.

The point is those two songs are ancient now and its pointless to put them on the album since they are tired.

and for the record, Caravan is a great song, but BU2B is pretty lame.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 16 2011, 09:59 PM)
Omit Caravan and BU2B? Are you crazy? Those are two of the best songs I've heard from them in a long time.

The point is those two songs are ancient now and its pointless to put them on the album since they are tired.

That sucks that BU2B hasn't sparked anything for you. I recently started listening to it again, and it has really grown on me. I'm starting to really dig it.

I'm hoping they re-record the two songs, and perhaps add some stuff to them. I love the synths in BU2B, and like someone else said, I wouldn't mind them brought a little more forward in the mix. I'm excited to see what they might do different with the two tracks.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 16 2011, 09:59 PM)

They probably won't make a record anyway. Hell, they may not even make a CD.

(And you think you're crazy.)

QUOTE (FeelingUnlimited @ Sep 16 2011, 02:02 PM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Sep 16 2011, 04:41 AM)

Who is she?

Second down from Ray, I believe. One of the Anthem folks

QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 14 2011, 07:13 PM)
It would be all right with me if they bring the keys up even more in the mix next time on BU2B:)

Or better yet, dump the song entirely! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 16 2011, 07:59 PM)

Agreed. It sucks to know an album is going to be far less than perfect more than 2 years before its release because of that pain in the ass song.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 18 2011, 12:33 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 14 2011, 07:13 PM)
It would be all right with me if they bring the keys up even more in the mix next time on BU2B:)

Or better yet, dump the song entirely! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 16 2011, 07:59 PM)

Agreed. It sucks to know an album is going to be far less than perfect more than 2 years before its release because of that pain in the ass song.

To declare that an album will be "less than perfect" 2 years before it's released is pretty foolish. I'm sure the songs will be rerecorded with and not only will they sound different due to a new studio and new gear, I believe they will have more of the energy present on the last tour. I think it's best to hear the songs in context before deciding how that whole context will sound based of these samples.

Personally I'm looking forward to the new album and remaining hopeful that Rush will deliver yet another superb album.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 16 2011, 05:46 PM)

goodpost.gif

A positive note for the 2 new songs - They sound great with a good stereo system, and high volume. They're not subject to the Vapor Trails curse of crackling/spitting. Hoping the whole album comes out sounding that nice.