Clockwork Angels

FeelingUnlimited

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 23 2011, 05:48 AM)
I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

&

While our loving Watchmaker
Loves us all to death

I don't want to get TOO into it, as I really don't want to get into SOCN territory.  I just find these lyrics to be really depressing.  That's my own personal interpretation, admittedly.

That's depressing?

I really fail to understand how these lyrics are so objectionable or polarizing.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 21 2011, 06:38 AM)

I find Neil Peart's writing these days paints him as a bitter, cynical old man. Its old, its tired and its time to move on to something else. That is if he has anything else to say about...anything?
Seriously. His redundant bashing of religion is getting pathetic. Does he really have nothing else relevant to say anymore?
and yeah, his views are a joke to me. Vile or disgusting? Maybe not, but tired and worn out.
Talk about anything else please!

I just don't hear it. I can't pick up any "redundant bashing of religion" on any of the '90s albums and the lyrics on Vapor Trails I found to be surprisingly uplifting and positive considering what he had recently experienced. Sure S&A took a darker view of things but it's Peart giving his honest and realistic views on things. Where is it?

You can call me clueless...

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Sep 27 2011, 01:24 AM)
Sure S&A took a darker view of things but it's Peart giving his honest and realistic views on things.

Best post 09. Some SHEEPLE just want to live in ignorant bliss.

The world sucks, Life. Sucks, specifically in America (though it resonates around the world.)

The world is not a bright place, and I was getting tired of the uplifting bright lyrics anyway.

I say bring on more darkness!

Wow, I sure missed a lot in this thread. I just thought it was a whole lot of nothing!

I've love to see a return to the sort of complexities and originality we saw in Counterparts. It's easily my favourite album since... oh, PoW? Maybe P/G? Presto was great too, but it didn't have any "balls" to its sounds. CP was magnificent though. yes.gif

Lyrically, I don't really care. Neil will write what he will write and I already liked what I saw in "Caravan"!

No, 100-0-01010-000 or whatever you call yourself

Soo... you're pretty much admitting that you're TOTALLY NOT a Rush fan then? Or maybe you just missed the Grace Under Pressure album or something.

Anyway.

As much as I like BU2B, I really really wish that it wasn't called "BU2B." Is there ANYONE who can defend Rush for titling their song "BU2B?" Because I'd enjoy hearing that. What a despairingly terrible idea.

I'd definitely prefer it if Clockwork Angels didn't turn out to be another pitch-black album, like S&A. I loved S&A, and I loved it BECAUSE it was pitch-black, but now I'm ready for something different. It seems that Clockwork Angels probably will be another S&A album, so that's disappointing, but I won't hate it if that turns out to be the case. I'm as anti-religion as the next guy, and the lyrics are as good as ever, but AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH move on to something else please.

Compositionally speaking, both songs are notably competitive. They clearly have presence of mind going into the details of their songwriting. Coming up to 40 years of doing this, I'm happy they still have the fortitude to keep producing new ideas.

I'm confident that CA will be an album that I come back to over and over again.

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Sep 27 2011, 02:51 AM)
No, 100-0-01010-000 or whatever you call yourself

Soo... you're pretty much admitting that you're TOTALLY NOT a Rush fan then? Or maybe you just missed the Grace Under Pressure album or something.

No, it's not that. He's talking to me there, and he's purposely misspelling my name in a troll-like attempt to show contempt.

Yawn.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 26 2011, 08:24 PM)
Anyone ever try a peanut butter and bacon sandwich? 

It looks intriguing. yes.gif

http://www.drvino.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Peanut-Butter-Bacon-Sandwic.jpg

Intriguing yes, but I had bacon and grape jam between two pieces of toast recently (as part of a healthy breakfast) and it was fabulous. yes.gif

music.gif

I don't believe in farina

Or the guiding hand of toast

I don't believe in cereal

Or oatmeal as healthy for most

I don't believe in the eggs or the sausage

Or Cap'n Crunch watching from above

But I believe there's a ghost of a chance

We can find bacon to love

And make it last

music.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Sep 27 2011, 09:02 AM)
music.gif
I don't believe in farina
Or the guiding hand of toast
I don't believe in cereal
Or oatmeal as healthy for most
I don't believe in the eggs or the sausage
Or Cap'n Crunch watching from above
But I believe there's a ghost of a chance
We can find bacon to love
And make it last
music.gif

trink39.gif yes.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Sep 27 2011, 02:24 AM)

I find Neil Peart's writing these days paints him as a bitter, cynical old man. Its old, its tired and its time to move on to something else. That is if he has anything else to say about...anything?
Seriously. His redundant bashing of religion is getting pathetic. Does he really have nothing else relevant to say anymore?
and yeah, his views are a joke to me. Vile or disgusting? Maybe not, but tired and worn out.

I just don't hear it. I can't pick up any "redundant bashing of religion" on any of the '90s albums and the lyrics on Vapor Trails I found to be surprisingly uplifting and positive considering what he had recently experienced. Sure S&A took a darker view of things but it's Peart giving his honest and realistic views on things. Where is it?

Well, its the way I feel about his lyrics. I think his lyrics are tired these days. You like um, good for you.

QUOTE (toscanobarga @ Sep 26 2011, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Sep 26 2011, 05:44 PM)
QUOTE (toscanobarga @ Sep 26 2011, 09:41 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Sep 26 2011, 05:29 PM)
QUOTE (toscanobarga @ Sep 26 2011, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Sep 26 2011, 05:19 PM)
QUOTE (toscanobarga @ Sep 26 2011, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Sep 26 2011, 04:55 PM)
You know you're in the wrong when not a single person agrees with or defends you.

Like Galileo ?

Are you implying that not a single person ever agreed with Galileo?

Are you saying that because Terrapin is an argument with a couple of other guys that therefore no one agrees with him ?

There's been no planes flying into the New York skyline therefore the Patriot Act must be working.

eyesre4.gif

As a man of faith myself (I'm a devout Atheist) I have no issue with Peart's lyrics.

trink39.gif

Terrapin keeps saying "we" when referring to stuff no one has even backed him on. Whether anyone agrees with him or not is another issue. Publicly no one has laughed at me or mocked me but Terrapin has determined that everyone has.

Get it?

I missed the part where he said that "everyone" has mocked you.

It's obviously just as presumptious as saying that "no one" agrees with him just because they haven't posted as such.

Oh well, let the beathorse.gif continue

"Hey Tick,

Please, supply us with more of these laugh-a-minute "Lyrics"

We've laughed at your previous contribution for several days now and we're getting bored. Please provide us with your latest installment of comedy rhymes!

I'm sure God loves your Lyrics and he wants us all to have a good laugh!"

Seems like that should make it clearer for ya.

You got "everyone is mocking you" out of that ?

Maybe you should get him to answer who the "we" and "us all" are before making the massive leap of logic that he was alluding to "everyone".

You interpret who "we" is for me so I can better understand?

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 27 2011, 08:14 AM)
You know you're in the wrong when not a single person agrees with or defends you.

Like Galileo ?

Are you saying that because Terrapin is an argument with a couple of other guys that therefore no one agrees with him ?

There's been no planes flying into the New York skyline therefore the Patriot Act must be working.

eyesre4.gif

As a man of faith myself (I'm a devout Atheist) I have no issue with Peart's lyrics.

trink39.gif

Terrapin keeps saying "we" when referring to stuff no one has even backed him on. Whether anyone agrees with him or not is another issue. Publicly no one has laughed at me or mocked me but Terrapin has determined that everyone has.

Get it?

It's obviously just as presumptious as saying that "no one" agrees with him just because they haven't posted as such.

"Hey Tick,

We've laughed at your previous contribution for several days now and we're getting bored. Please provide us with your latest installment of comedy rhymes!

Maybe you should get him to answer who the "we" and "us all" are before making the massive leap of logic that he was alluding to "everyone".

Terrapin and an undetermined number of unnamed people.

Doubt it's "everyone" though.

Could be though, depends how thick your skin is and your level of paranoia.

That's a lot of bacon.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 27 2011, 12:10 PM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Sep 27 2011, 02:24 AM)

Well, its the way I feel about his lyrics. I think his lyrics are tired these days. You like um, good for you.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 27 2011, 01:22 PM)
I'll admit that I don't really like the context of the lyrics, but I find those lyrics to be beautifully written and amazingly delivered vocally by Geddy. But most of all, they are layered untop of beautifully crafted music, and so I can say that for me personally, that overrides my dislike for the lyrics context. [/quote]
Ghost of a Chance is a beautiful SOUNDING song. I admit that wholeheartedly, but alas, I can't ignore the lyrics and just enjoy it regardless.

With a lot of groups, the lyrics aren't that important to me, and I can forgive, or even ignore, quite a bit, but not with Rush. For me, by far one the most attractive qualities about Rush is their highly intelligent and deep lyrical content. That's as important to me as the music. If one of those two elements is lacking, I REALLY notice it.

If anything, the fact that the song sounds so beautiful makes it even sadder to me, because it's got all the potential in the world to be a fantastic, moving song, but I just end up feeling it's sad and depressing.

Again, JUST MY OPINION. Other people it really speaks to, and that's cool.

Wow......spot on again. applaudit.gif

QUOTE (toscanobarga @ Sep 27 2011, 12:42 PM)

Like Galileo ?

eyesre4.gif

trink39.gif

Get it?

"Hey Tick,

That's a lot of bacon.

Point is, if Terrapin is going to say, "we" all had a good laugh at you're lyrics and "we" are ready for you to post some more so "we"can get some more laughs, who is he speaking for?

He should have said, "I"

If he thinks my lyrics are that of a "retarded 5th grader" that's ok with me. I don't care much what he thinks. He should just leave it at speaking for himself since he is the only one who remarked how dreadful they are.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 27 2011, 10:44 AM)

Like Galileo ?

eyesre4.gif

trink39.gif

Get it?

"Hey Tick,

That's a lot of bacon.

Point is, if Terrapin is going to say, "we" all had a good laugh at you're lyrics and "we" are ready for you to post some more so "we"can get some more laughs, who is he speaking for?

He should have said, "I"

If he thinks my lyrics are that of a "retarded 5th grader" that's ok with me. I don't care much what he thinks. He should just leave it at speaking for himself since he is the only one who remarked how dreadful they are.

The only "we" going on is that there are several people who don't have a problem with Neil's lyrics on songs like BU2B and think some of us are overreacting in our feelings.

In terms of dislike of Tick's lyrics, I believe Terrapin is all by his lonesome. And even then I'm not convinced he really dislikes them - he might have just been in attack mode and going after anyone who's opinions he disagreed with using whatever ammo he could come up with. He kept reading all kinds of things into posts that weren't close to being there, so who knows.

Thankfully, Tick is smart enough to know that an insult from a troll is meaningless. That's just what they do.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 27 2011, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Sep 27 2011, 10:44 AM)

Like Galileo ?

eyesre4.gif

trink39.gif

Get it?

"Hey Tick,

That's a lot of bacon.

He should have said, "I"

The only "we" going on is that there are several people who don't have a problem with Neil's lyrics on songs like BU2B and think some of us are overreacting in our feelings.

In terms of dislike of Tick's lyrics, I believe Terrapin is all by his lonesome. And even then I'm not convinced he really dislikes them - he might have just been in attack mode and going after anyone who's opinions he disagreed with using whatever ammo he could come up with. He kept reading all kinds of things into posts that weren't close to being there, so who knows.

Thankfully, Tick is smart enough to know that an insult from a troll is meaningless. That's just what they do.

What a mess that whole exchange is. And what's with all this "I" and "we" crap? The real question is, what do THEY think?

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Sep 27 2011, 01:51 AM)
I'd definitely prefer it if Clockwork Angels didn't turn out to be another pitch-black album, like S&A. I loved S&A, and I loved it BECAUSE it was pitch-black, but now I'm ready for something different. It seems that Clockwork Angels probably will be another S&A album, so that's disappointing, but I won't hate it if that turns out to be the case.

Judging from BU2B, I see what you mean, though even in that song, the character is challenging what society is telling him. Caravan, on the other hand, I find totally positive..."In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big" is energizing on the worst day. Yes, the character is dealing with an oppressive world, but I'm betting his defiance will be a beacon of inspiration...

...unless he fails, or his success is timed wrong (see what I did there), then you're right, we may be in for an even greater tragedy than 2112.

I guess we'll find out the context when the album finally comes out...