Greatest dissappointments in life?

Lost In Xanadu

I have 2 that stick out...

1. When I was like 14, I was a huge fan of Greg Norman's. I played golf, watched golf and really rooted for Greg Norman. The GMO (Greater Milwaukee Open) was held at Tuckaway Country Club, and the father of my best friend was on the board. He arranged for us not only tickets to this event, but also entrance into the winner's tent after the tournament ended. Well, guess who won - Greg Norman. We get in the tent, waiting for Greg to enter. He comes in, shakes hands with all the important people and everything. When it all calms down, I go and congratulate him and ask him to sign my hat. He says "get lost". That was it... "get lost". I was so disappointed that day. As I grew older I realized he may needed to do more important things, and I didn't blame him for blowing me off. Didn't change the disappointment I felt back then and really wished he would have been a little nicer about getting me to leave him alone smile.gif

2. TFE tour. I saw this tour in Charlotte and really missed Limelight (my favorite song at the time) in the setlist. Luckily I saw it again in Milwaukee and Bristow, VA. I hard they put Limelight back into the mix and was really excited for the Milwaukee show. But... I got so drunk at this show I didn't remember much of the end and said to my friends (or so they tell me) how pissed I was that they didn't play Limelight. Apparently I was told "you drunk idiot, they did play it!!". I was very disappointed... until I saw them in Bristow, VA. That's a whole story in itself. I left that concert with road tar all over my legs cuz I stole a traffic cone (aka megaphone) laugh.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 22 2011, 12:21 PM)
1. When I was like 14, I was a huge fan of Greg Norman's. I played golf, watched golf and really rooted for Greg Norman. The GMO (Greater Milwaukee Open) was held at Tuckaway Country Club, and the father of my best friend was on the board. He arranged for us not only tickets to this event, but also entrance into the winner's tent after the tournament ended. Well, guess who won - Greg Norman. We get in the tent, waiting for Greg to enter. He comes in, shakes hands with all the important people and everything. When it all calms down, I go and congratulate him and ask him to sign my hat. He says "get lost". That was it... "get lost". I was so disappointed that day. As I grew older I realized he may needed to do more important things, and I didn't blame him for blowing me off. Didn't change the disappointment I felt back then and really wished he would have been a little nicer about getting me to leave him alone smile.gif

I would hold it against him. If his fans didn't give a shit about his golf game, he would have to get a real job. What a fu cking prick.

My greatest disappointment...I was on a TDY when I was in the Air Force reserves, and I was in Denmark. Well, I met a beautiful Danish woman when I was there, and I passed on an opportunity to do the horizontal mambo with her because I had a girlfriend at the time. Turns out, I dumped my girlfriend after 3+ years of dating just a week after I returned from Denmark. I should never have passed on hooking up with the Beautiful Dane. sad.gif

About six years ago:

I bought a Wisconsin Megabucks ticket. Jackpot was at $4 million. I matched 5 out of 6 numbers. ONE FREEKIN NUMBER AWAY FROM FOUR MILLION DOLLARS.

My first thought was not, "Hey! I just won 500 dollars!".....

.......it was, "God FARKING DAMNIT! I gotta go back to my shitty job tomorrow....." 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 22 2011, 03:42 PM)
Didn't go straight to college after high school.
Enlisted in the Army directly out of high school.
Others are related to the ladies.

Oh...that reminds me of another one. I wish I would have gone into the active duty Air Force right from high school, instead of enlisting right into the Illinois Air National Guard. I think it would have been fun to go all over the world when you are young and no attachments.

I was the head of the robotics team in high school. The team barely wanted to work, they just wanted to drive the robot at the competition. As a result I wound up pulling a lot of late nights to keep us in a decent spot during the competition. On the day of the awards I went home to catch up on all the sleep I missed thinking we didn't win any awards (we finished 8th) but we wound up taking a trophy home for constantly coming back into the game despite the numerous breakdowns...and my useless teammates claimed. You could guess who didn't get any credit at school because they weren't at the awards ceremony. Edited by USB Connector

I have a couple but I can't discuss them because it wouldn't be right or fair for me do so.... sad.gif no.gif

Letting myself become so depressed during Freshman year. I almost dropped out.

Also not doing anything to the guy who abused my best friend. He was a sicko and didn't want to get caught because he wanted to enlist in the Marines after high school. So she was too scared to speak up about it to anyone else. By the time I realized I could do something, it was too late.

I've been up since 4:30 with my youngest son. He seems to have some intestinal problems this morning. I'm trying to keep him quiet so everyone else can sleep. He has been extremely difficult to deal with the last few days, and I'm exhausted.

Autism. God damned f***ing autism is the greatest disappointment of my life.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 23 2011, 12:11 PM)
I've been up since 4:30 with my youngest son. He seems to have some intestinal problems this morning. I'm trying to keep him quiet so everyone else can sleep. He has been extremely difficult to deal with the last few days, and I'm exhausted.

hug2.gif

Going to college when I didn't know what I wanted to do (admittedly, because my parents forced/guilted me to go). I racked up a ton of debt (which I'll be paying off until I'm dead) and it has severely hampered my ability to move out, buy things, go places, etc.

I have a great job now, but I'm going to be playing catch-up for many many years that I should be enjoying instead (I'm 26).

I would go back in time to tell myself to go to either community college or a some kind of computer IT/programming thing instead.

My biggest disappointments??

Probably the divorce , after 12 yrs of trying to make it work.

Dis-honorable mention#1: I grew up literally (for the most part)

in a number of Bowling alleys..(started bowlin' when I was 5.)

My dad and grandfather were absolute bowling fiend's..

fanatic is not even the word.

Anyway, my dad was grooming me for the PBA ( Pro bowler's assoc.)

He used to tell me I had the best arm-swing he'd ever seen.

(and they both bowled for 50 + yrs.)

My dad died of cancer at 59, in 1991...then my gramps died the next yr.,

so the road to the pba was derailed..big time.

I only wish They could have seen me bowl the 300..maybe they did...

My dad would'a flipped his lid,because he bowled like 15 or so 279's

in league,but never could get to the "top of the mt."...300 game.

My grandfather had the same situation...that's why my 300 game was such an unbelievable event..never thought I'd get anywhere near that.

(The best deal was, I got a big ol solid gold 10 caret ring, directly

from the American Bowling congress!...Im still stoked,10 years later.)

My dad would'a thrown the biggest party EVER!!!! lol!

Well anyway..I tried to qualify in 2001-02 for the PBA tour, but barely

missed.(You have to ave. in a sanchioned hot-shot league ,

and ave. of 200, for 2 consecutive yrs..I averaged 204 for 2001, but only 195 in 2002..so..that sucked..missed by 1 freakin' pin, on average.)

Sooo...,to make a long story short, THAT was a major disappointment,

to say the least!

..major disappointment #2: ???...not ending this post SOONER! yes.gif rofl3.gif wink.gif

Edited by go2wrk@95974

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 22 2011, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 22 2011, 12:21 PM)

I would hold it against him. If his fans didn't give a shit about his golf game, he would have to get a real job. What a fu cking prick.

Me too. Telling a 14-year old fan to "get lost"? That's beyond just snubbing a fan; it's downright rude.

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jul 23 2011, 02:39 PM)
I just got laid off today.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z245/The_Darkness62/Various%20Pics/Feels_bad_man_alternative.jpg

That sucks! Sorry to hear it.

Now take a week to recoup and then go out there and show them they made a terrible mistake.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 23 2011, 08:11 AM)
I've been up since 4:30 with my youngest son.  He seems to have some intestinal problems this morning.  I'm trying to keep him quiet so everyone else can sleep.  He has been extremely difficult to deal with the last few days, and I'm exhausted.

Autism.  God damned f***ing autism is the greatest disappointment of my life.

sad.gif Damnit GG, you're the best I tell ya. For all you do, this wub's for you. wub.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 23 2011, 07:11 AM)

You are, indeed, a trooper. hug2.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 23 2011, 07:11 AM)

Never lose hope! Never give up! You will only become all the better for it.

Getting very close to meeting Brian May and Roger Taylor of Queen at their Star ceremony, but not close enough.

Never getting to see a Shuttle launch.

Never saying goodbye to my father (not that it would have changed anything, but I'd have felt I did what I was supposed to).

And then there's a ton of lifestyle stuff, like losing the one decent job I ever had (not my fault). I don't know if never getting married and never having kids is a bad or good thing. I regret that it didn't happen, but if it had, I bet I or they would be unhappy.

King Whompus, I've got my fingers crossed for you for a job! yes.gif

Edited by 1 of the 7