What does everyone think of Hold Your Fire?

cygnus_thegodofbalance

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 8 2011, 01:37 AM)
I love it, except for the last 2 songs. They are weak and wreck the flow of the album. Turn The Page would have been an excellent closer IMO.

Hey, totally agree. I loved it except the last 2 songs. Everything up until then is mind blowingly brilliant. Lerxts razor-thin solos, Neils superb drumming on Mission and Lock and Key. Geddys super-cool bass on every song. In addition to that it had an excellent overall sound IMO.

HYF is still my favourite RUSH album, my mum bought it for me on my 14th birthday and i will never forget the first time i played it through my headphones.

HYF really means something to me. I love that record. It turned me onto RUSH and ive never looked back.

great songs, but an admittedly thin sounding LP...(waits for little ones to ask "what is LP? old.gif )

it has been in my car CD player this week actually-

i love it- alex's guitar tones are trendy- but a trend mostly set by him IMO.

hears hypnotic part of Open Secrets...

"i find no absolution

in my rational point of view..."

you know- right before the tasty guitar solo in that song??

i could go on brothas and sistahs...

Edited by hughes&kettner

I love HYF, I don't understand the hate that it sometimes gets. It was the first Rush tour I saw. I think it's a clear and precise sounding album and I love every minute of it. I think it's some of Ged's best vocal work.

QUOTE (MCM @ Jun 8 2011, 02:26 AM)
I love HYF, I don't understand the hate that it sometimes gets. It was the first Rush tour I saw. I think it's a clear and precise sounding album and I love every minute of it. I think it's some of Ged's best vocal work.

Agree!!!!! goodpost.gif

One of my favorites! I love every song on it, yes, even the last two (can't understand why High Water gets dumped on, tho). The sound is fantastic, Ged's vocals are amazing, Al's guitars sound wonderful even the drums, which can sometimes sound too treble-y, sound great. There's not a single thing about this album that I don't love. wub.gif Edited by HowItIs

I think it sucks . Water flavor pop Edited by metaldad

It is too light, musically and production wise. This and Roll The Bones are my least favorites. Prime Mover is definitely the best song here. Mission, Turn The Page, Lock and Key & Second Nature are all great. Time Stand Still and High Water are pretty good too. The only ones that don't fire me up too much are Tai Shan, Open Secrets & Force Ten. So yea...f***ing good album. It is 2.gif after all! smile.gif

I always thought that it sounded bloated, lifeless, and poppy, aside from "Force Ten", "Open Secrets", and "Lock and Key" (which, themselves, are still pretty overproduced). "Time, Stand Still" has good lyrics, though, and I always thought that "High Water" was all right, although I can't quite put my finger on the reason.

I guess that I should like it, given that I at least like about half of the songs and that Counterparts, an album that I'd say that I like, has a similar hit-to-miss ratio for me, but that album's production appeals far more to me than Hold Your Fire's ocean of synthesizers and echoes does.

Edited by StellarJetman

Perfect, except for those last two, unfortunately. :C

Turn the Page and Force Ten remain two of my favourite RUSH songs of all time. yes.gif

Oh and edited to add that Mission is also fantastic beyond reason. I nearly wept with joy the first time I heard that; it was so beautiful! Now that is a killer opening. Just fabulous.

Edited by CMWriter

Love it. It has a good flow. Superior lyrics. So many of the songs are incredibly moving, at least to me. I don't know if I would call it my favorite Rush album, but it's the one closest to my heart.

Strange. For me, I love it practically as much as eve rush album. But it has my least favorite rush song ever (unless we're counting the debut). Second Nature i really don't like that much except for the lyrics. I still like it but prefer Tai Shan and High Water over it.

Oddly enough, the song that follows is possibly my third, fourth, or fifth favorite rush sing ever.

One of Geddy's best bass albums. Every song on this album is solid. It took me a few years to get into Tai Shan. One night in college I was driving home and the sun was setting. I'm not going to say that China spoke to me, but I could appreciate the song. I don't listen to it a lot, but it is great. HYF is getting a spin on the turntable tonight.

QUOTE (J0N @ Jun 8 2011, 03:07 AM)
I really like the first 8 songs, and definitely prefer it to anything else they've done since, and the album before it.

I absolutely agree. Even with the last two songs failing, they haven't topped it since.

I think CP is arguably more consistent, but the material isn't quite as strong as a whole as HYF (even though CP has some EXCELLENT tracks, especially the first four).