6 Albums That Changed Your Life

Tick

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW, great topic! smile.gif

1) Rush - 2112. I traded an album by Styx for it, the rest is history!!! biggrin.gif

2) Rush - Exit: Stage Left - This album singlehandedly galvanized my love for Rush as my #1 band from the mid-80s until present.

3) Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil. Killer tracks, led to me first ever concert, where I got both drunk and stoned.

4) Ratt - Out Of The Cellar - It was either this or an album by Kick Axe. I chose wisely. rofl3.gif

5) Iron Maiden - Powerslave. My introduction to the great English heavy metal.

6) Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East. Second best live album I listened to growing up.

Eagles - The Long Run - not for any real merit, but it was the first album I picked out and paid for with my own money, I still have it.

Rush - A Farewell to Kings - my Rush discovery album, still my favorite Rush album even after all these years

Styx - Pieces of Eight - this album was truly one of my best friends growing up, (sad huh?) it began and cemented my 30 some year love affair with this band, in all it's forms

Boston - Boston - those vocals, and sounds I'd never heard before couldn't get enough of it, even today

Kiss - Destroyer - good loud sing along rock, my favorite Kiss album

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell - just couldn't stop listening to those lyrics and the voice of a master

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti - that's all I got to say about that

One more than six, but I couldn't help it.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 5 2011, 02:14 PM)

Boston - debut album. The first album I'd heard that successfully married guitar heaviness and pop melodicism, packaged in a sound I'd never heard before, and hasn't been duplicated since. A watershed moment in rock music.

How many albums, at 35 years old, still have every single track in radio rotation? The first album I bought with my own money, still have it, still love it.

(RIP Brad rose.gif )

Considering that I'm much younger than the average TRFer, and I'm still trying to acquire classic/essential albums along with new releases, I haven't really had many that have changed my life.

Also worth noting is that most of these are among my favorite albums of all time.

Also, lucky sevens, I'm not using 6.

--------------------------

Rush - can't really think of just one, because when I started listening to Rush, I was 6-7 years old. I'll say that it was probably ATWAS. I also remember listening to Permanent Waves very distinctly, so that one too.

Yes - Relayer - circa April 2008. Introduced me to Yes, and prog in general, even though I haven't really explored that much of the genre.

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade - circa May 2008. In addition to introducing me to MyChem, this record made me realize "hey, maybe there's some good new music out there", and led to me discovering a plethora of new(er) bands, in addition to older bands that weren't on classic rock radio (Morrissey, The Smiths, The Misfits, Black Flag).

Radiohead - In Rainbows - circa April 2009. This album (along with My Bloody Valentine's Loveless) taught me the importance of not immediately discounting an album on a first listen. In addition, this was my introduction to Radiohead, as well as more "electronic" and weird music.

Lupe Fiasco - Lupe Fiasco's the Cool - circa May 2009. The first full rap album I bought, simply because I liked "Superstar" and I thought the rest of the album would be as good. Fortunately, it was, and two years later it's my favorite rap album of all time. Lupe is also my favorite rapper of all time, for actually possessing lyrical skill - rapping about stuff like skateboarding, and writing most of The Cool as a sort of story, instead of rapping about club shit. This is why he will never be a huge rapper, and I couldn't be happier about it.

Morrissey - The Best of Morrissey - circa January 2010. Sure, it's a compilation, but it was my introduction to Morrissey's world, as well as The Smiths. I'm still collecting music by both groups, and have quite a long way to go before I have it all.

blink-182 - blink-182 - circa February 2010. This album completely blew my mind - I knew a bit about the band, but this was so different from what I was expecting. Though it's not punk at all, or even pop-punk, it's an album by a band that got me interested in punk.

edit: realized i left out lupe, wanted to swap him in for morrissey but couldn't, so i left him, too.

Edited by Xanadu93

QUOTE (goose @ Jun 7 2011, 12:15 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 5 2011, 02:14 PM)

Boston - debut album. The first album I'd heard that successfully married guitar heaviness and pop melodicism, packaged in a sound I'd never heard before, and hasn't been duplicated since. A watershed moment in rock music.

How many albums, at 35 years old, still have every single track in radio rotation? The first album I bought with my own money, still have it, still love it.

(RIP Brad rose.gif )

I've never actually heard either of the last 2 tracks on the radio, and even Hitch A Ride is pretty rare on classic rock stations around here. Maybe I just don't listen to the radio enough.

at any rate, my list is coming tomorrow, after i get some well-deserved sleep laugh.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 7 2011, 12:37 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 7 2011, 03:29 AM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 6 2011, 01:27 PM)
REM - Lifes Rich Pageant: Introduced me to REM and further down the path of alternative music.

My favorite REM disc.

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif for both of you guys

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif ...just sayin'....

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 6 2011, 06:27 PM)

Bob Mould - Workbook: Introduced me to a new genre of music and the genius that is Bob Mould.
Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen: One of the finest alternative albums ever made...period...and it introduced me to my second favorite band.

REM - Lifes Rich Pageant: Introduced me to REM and further down the path of alternative music.

Ooh yeah. trink39.gif

Linkin Park- Meteora

this choice is neither sarcastic nor ironic. While I don't like Linkin Park NOW, and they never really had much artistic merit, the album was still life-changing for me in a huge way. it's the first album that I bought and owned myself, all the way back in the sixth grade. It was the start of my music collection and my biggest introduction to contemporary rock music, so to deny its impact on my life would be silly.

Linkin Park- Don't Stay

Igor Stravinsky- The Firebird

Though my favorite version now is either Simon Rattle/Birmingham or Valery Gergiev/Kirov's recording, my introduction to this masterpiece was via Alexander Rahbari/BRT Philharmonic's recording, paired on the same CD with The Rite of Spring. My music teacher had been talking about the Firebird, so I went home, found it in my mother's CD collection, and listened to it, and I was completely floored. It was one of those "life-changing" experiences where you can't quite put your finger on what it actually did to you, but you just know that you came out on the other end a completely new person. What an experience. listening to the finale of the suite for the first time might be the hardest I've ever cried at a piece of music.

Jeff Buckley- Grace

This album, along with U2's Achtung Baby and The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, helped me get through one of the roughest emotional periods of my life. In addition to being an amazing album, it has tons of special meaning to me. I don't know if it's so much life changing as it was life saving. But any album that i can relate to a period of time as immediately and as intimately as I can this album deserves a spot on the list.

Frederic Chopin- Nocturnes

Artur Rubinstein's 1960's recording of these gorgeous piano works really opened my eyes to the true heart of the classical piano repertoire. For at least a couple months, I simply would not put this recording down, and it probably played a large part in my decision to study piano more seriously, and ultimately, study it in college. In addition, the beauty and soul in so many of the nocturnes is absolutely transcendental.

The Who- Quadrophenia

Not the first rock opera i ever listened to, but certainly the most powerful. Quadrophenia has, for a long time, stood among my favorite albums in all aspects -- musical, lyrical, emotional, and personal. This album definitely changed the way i looked at music, in a positive and huge way. The experience of hearing it for the first time is so sensually overwhelming , too. Extremely powerful stuff.

Rush- Chronicles

The first Rush I ever listened to. 'nuff said.

No real order....

Queen A Night at the Opera Introduced me to music that wasn't just "poppy song based" but the whole CONCEPT album idea... I can't listen to it unless I'm going to play the WHOLE THING because while there ARE individual songs, I think one segues into the next and it's just one big cycle.

Rush All The Worlds a Stage A. it introduced me to what became my favorite band. B. It introduced me to who became a major influence on my drumming C. it introduced me to LIVE albums!!! Live music is my favorite!

Kansas Point of Know Return Introduced me to keyboard based melodic progressive ROCK! Always has been, always WILL be a favorite album! (had it on 8-track!)

Yes Fragile/The Yes Album (had to list both because my introduction was a tape with both albums on it, so at the time I had no clue which was which) Yes took the "progressive rock" stuff further for me and led me to like even MORE bands!

Pink Floyd The Wall Having listened to Dark Side, and Wish You Were Here, I was a casual fan of Floyd (hadn't heard Animals at that point, and that MAY have changed it before The Wall came out) When I first heard The Wall I was mesmerized, and had to keep hearing it! I swear I wore my first copy out within two weeks, it was an obsession!

Frank Zappa Joe's Garage Someone put this on at a party one time, and it changed my outlook on music! From this point on, "pretty sounding, hopeful, happy, life is great" BS music ended, and REAL music began!

Edited by Jaminbenb

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 7 2011, 08:38 PM)
Kiss Destroyer (#1)
rush mp
rush hemispheres
rush 2112
King Crimson 3 of a perfect pair
led zep ittod

Dt iaw has to fit in there just under rush . Huge influence on going to doublebass drums. comp26.gif

Gene Loves Jezebel ~ "Immigrant"

Skinny Puppy ~ "Too Dark Park"

Godflesh ~ "Pure"

David Bowie ~ "The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars"

Michael Aston ~ "Why Me Why This Why Now"

Rush ~ "Vapor Trails"

ELO-New World Record

Kansas-Leftoverature

Pink Floyd-The Wall

Rush-Permanent Waves

Stevie Wonder-Songs in The Key of Life

Porcupine Tree-Deadwing

wub.gif

KISS Alive II--I was 5 years old when this came out and my cousins introduced me to it.

Shout At The Devil--I was in fifth grade and this album forver emmersed me in metal and hard rock.

Moving Pictures--Same cousins that introduced me to KISS gave me a copy of MP in summer of '84. Wow.

Master Of Puppets--Changed everything for me in '86. I think I burned all of my glam metal tapes after hearing this.

Roll The Bones--I foolishly put Rush on the backburner once HYF was released. RTB was one of the first actual CD's I bought and rekindled my love for them and compelled me to buy all of their catalog on disc. Ironically, RTB is my least favorite Rush album now.

1) Yes - Yessongs

2) Rush - 2112

3) Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

4) Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand the Weather

5) Joe Bonamassa - Blues Deluxe

6) Opeth - Watershed

I don't know if they really changed my life ... anyways, they perked my ears up and it was fun at the time, and still reverberates in my soul to this day.

BTO - Not Fragile

Rush - 2112

David Bowie - Changesonebowie

Golden Earring - Moontan

Supertramp - Crime Of The Century

Zep - IV

Sorry to bore you all but here's a little of my musical life history... when I was a child the only records that I was familiar with were my fathers collection of trad jazz & country blues and a "Junior Hits" compilation album that featured Rolf Harris and various other "artists" The only album in my fathers collection that really made an impact on me was a recording of Beethoven's 5th. Then one day my older brother brought "Led Zeppelin II" into our house. Wow! This album truly changed my life. I couldn't beleive the power contained in the music that I was hearing. Then I guy by the name of Ted moved in across the road from us and started playing Motorhead's "Overkill" album at seizmic volumes. I must admit that I became a bit of a Metalhead at this point, but you must remember that at this era in time "metal" consisted of such acts as Rainbow, Status Quo, Thin Lizzy etc... It was about this time (1979 I think) when I accidentally discovered prog rock... I was in my local record store when a the cover art of "Images at Twilight" by Saga caught my eye. I had never heard of Saga but I was fascinated by the cover artwork so I bought the album & thankfully I loved it. Within few years I had explored all sorts of music beyond the realms of the top 40 chart & discoved a love for Jethro Tull, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Rush & Blue Oyster Cult. In 1982 I went to my first music festival - Jethro Tull were the headlining act but much further down the bill were a group that I had never heard of called Marillion. I don't know why but they really "clicked" with me & when their first album "Script for a Jester's Tear" was released I bought it on the first day it came out. This was the beginning of a long obsession.

Sorry I've rambled on when I was supposed to be giving 6 albums that changed my life, but the truth is that it's hard to measure if any music has changed my life - all I know is that certain albums have made a huge impression on me & music is a big big part of my life.

QUOTE (Tinwoodsman @ Jun 10 2011, 12:17 AM)
I don't know if they really changed my life ... anyways, they perked my ears up and it was fun at the time, and still reverberates in my soul to this day.

BTO - Not Fragile

Two records owned by best friends older brother in the 70's. Used to wear both of them out. Not Fragile is the shit. 1022.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 10 2011, 07:00 PM)
QUOTE (Tinwoodsman @ Jun 10 2011, 12:17 AM)

BTO - Not Fragile

Two records owned by best friends older brother in the 70's. Used to wear both of them out. Not Fragile is the shit. 1022.gif

1022.gif Nice! biggrin.gif

Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier

This album was basically sparked my interest in Maiden, it made me a fan. I know now it is nowhere near their best, but when I listened to it, I was hooked immediatly and they became one of my favorite bands.

The Best of Led Zeppelin (2 disk set)

Up until I listened to this album, I was into nothing but Eminem and Linkin Park. I listened to NOW and lots of other bullshit. Once I heard this album, I realized I had to listen to more by this band and others like it. If I hadn't heard this, I might still be listening to that shit and getting really pissed off and embarrassed whenever my dad played the Grateful Dead

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Along with The Best of Led Zeppelin, this album helped mold me into listening to older bands and learn what real music is.

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass

This is one of my favorite albums of all time. I just threw it in as me apologizing to it for not knowing of its existence for so long. I've played the hell out of this album and continue to do so. Whenever I listen to it, I feel calm and peaceful no matter whats going on.

Pink Floyd - Animals

This album's only songs that weren't at least 10 minutes long were less than 2. This was my first taste of Prog. Rock. If it hadn't been for this album, I may never have gotten into Jethro Tull, ELP, King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, or even Rush. I used to be intimidated by long songs and thought they were a waste of time until I listened to this album and learned how amazing they truly could be.

Tom Petty - The Live Anthology

This was an amazing box set I got. I've listened to each disk dozens of times. It just never got old. One of the greatest Live albums I've ever listened to. I'm just throwing this in because I didn't forgot I needed 6.

Edited by Union 5-3992

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Oct 7 2011, 07:48 PM)
Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier
This album was basically sparked my interest in Maiden, it made me a fan. I know now it is nowhere near their best, but when I listened to it, I was hooked immediatly and they became one of my favorite bands.

The Best of Led Zeppelin (2 disk set)
Up until I listened to this album, I was into nothing but Eminem and Linkin Park. I listened to NOW and lots of other bullshit. Once I heard this album, I realized I had to listen to more by this band and others like it. If I hadn't heard this, I might still be listening to that shit and getting really pissed off and embarrassed whenever my dad played the Grateful Dead

The Beatles - Abbey Road
Along with The Best of Led Zeppelin, this album helped mold me into listening to older bands and learn what real music is.

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
This is one of my favorite albums of all time. I just threw it in as me apologizing to it for not knowing of its existence for so long. I've played the hell out of this album and continue to do so. Whenever I listen to it, I feel calm and peaceful no matter whats going on.

Pink Floyd - Animals
This album's only songs that weren't at least 10 minutes long were less than 2. This was my first taste of Prog. Rock. If it hadn't been for this album, I may never have gotten into Jethro Tull, ELP, King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, or even Rush. I used to be intimidated by long songs and thought they were a waste of time until I listened to this album and learned how amazing they truly could be.

Tom Petty - The Live Anthology
This was an amazing box set I got. I've listened to each disk dozens of times. It just never got old. One of the greatest Live albums I've ever listened to. I'm just throwing this in because I didn't forgot I needed 6.

Got the Petty anthology for Xmas in 09 with my iTunes gift card. Love his instrumental remakes of Goldfinger and Green Onions.

His greatest hits album was the first hits compilation I ever owned by any artist.

Speaking of Petty box sets, Playback is a worth listening to as well.