If you could invent a Time Machine...

Babycat

For me, I wish I could've seen 2.gif at their very first gig. That and be at the studio when they recorded their debut album.

What about you? A spectacular Homer at a baseball game? Anything you want.

The beginning of the universe, man.

I wanna know what really went down.

It would also be amazing to see Dr. MLK Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech.

And to be anywhere within fifty yards of Mahatma Ghandi while he was alive.

(But lunch would be cool too.)

The list could go on and on.

But since this is a RUSH forum, after all...

Hemispheres tour. Any show. Whichever show was just SPECTACULARLY AMAZING or something.

Or really, any Rush show ever. (:

The beginning of the universe would be one definite stop for me. cool10.gif

I'd like to go back and see tons of stuff. Here are some:

- my parents' wedding

- my own birth

- the very first modern human

- man's discovery of fire

- the death of Jesus

- the first steps taken on the moon

RUSH related:

- Rush's 1st gig with Peart

- Rush's actual first gig

- the recording sessions for PeW

If I could invent a Time Machine...

Rush-related:

~Go to Fisherville and see that controversial "snowman".

~Go to the very first gig

~Go to the recording sessions of my most favorite album, "Counterparts".

Other stuff:

~First showing of Dracula with Bela Lugosi

~Meet Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, Lon Cheney Jr., and Elsa Lanchester.

~Meet Michael Jackson(I know...I'm going to get killed for this)

~See how the world was when I was born

Quite an interesting concept, methinks... tongue.gif

Fun cool.gif

I'd like to not only go back and see an early Rush show but early shows of all my favorite bands: Genesis, Yes, Crimson, ELP among them.

Also:

> At Disney studios during the making of any of the early animated films.

> A ritual at Stonehenge by its original builders (not Druids)

> A teahouse in Kyoto with Geisha circa 1900

> Stage production of A Night At The Opera with the Marx Brothers and Irving Thalberg

> Performance by Louie Armstrong in New Orleans circa 1940

> A visit to the Delphic Oracle

I'm assuming no interference would be allowed... otherwise Toronto early August of 1997

I'm just going to keep it Rush-related.....

I would take the bestest, most highest definition video recording device, go back to 1975, record the entire last show of the Caress of Steel Tour, come to present and sell the rights of that sumbich to Anthem Records for many millions of dollars.

yes.gif

My mom passed away from cancer when I was 20. So the first thing I think I would do is go back and see her again.

I would also catch Rush on every tour that I didn't see them on.

Also, maybe relive last summers Rush show at the Syracuse state fair a few times since I had front row seats new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

As for everything else it's hard to say. There's a lot of stuff in the history of this world that I would love to see for myself. Just so I could know if the history books were right or if stories were exaggerated as the years went by. The truth is probably in the middle somewhere.

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Jun 3 2011, 11:31 AM)
December 1980

If we're talking about altering history, do whatever I can to prevent Chapman from killing Lennon.

But if you change the course of one event how many other events will be affected by it and what else could change due to what you did?

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 3 2011, 10:02 AM)
December 1980

If we're talking about altering history, do whatever I can to prevent Chapman from killing Lennon.

But if you change the course of one event how many other events will be affected by it and what else could change due to what you did?

yeah, but then he migh have been in the Traveling Wilburys and maybe they would have been good!

laugh.gif

bolt.gif

go back and see the Egyptians building the pyramids... show them a cell phone just to mess with them.

Also go back and tell myself to invest in google and apple when they were at their lowest biggrin.gif

The Battle of Thermopylae.

The founding of Rome.

The Punic Wars.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 3 2011, 05:02 PM)
December 1980

That's called "cause and effect", isn't it, if you go back and stop something from happening? I couldn't interfere with that.

I'd also like to see how the pyramids and Stonehenge were built, go to Roswell in 1947, see 2.gif getting started out in the music business and see them in the studio and their very first live gig. I'd like to see how the Universe was created and see Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin on the Moon.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 3 2011, 02:36 PM)
December 1980

That's called "cause and effect", isn't it, if you go back and stop something from happening? I couldn't interfere with that.

I'd also like to see how the pyramids and Stonehenge were built, go to Roswell in 1947, see 2.gif getting started out in the music business and see them in the studio and their very first live gig. I'd like to see how the Universe was created and see Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin on the Moon.

user posted image True, but...

why spoil the fun of wishful thinking by including caveats of theoretical limitations, since we're talking about an object of fiction anyway. confused13.gif

Just sayin.

[gimme the lotto, baby...enough to buy the damn time machine...then, the world!! Suck it, Doc Brown! Mwah ha ha ah!] user posted image

QUOTE (ioc @ Jun 3 2011, 08:02 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 3 2011, 02:36 PM)
December 1980

user posted image True, but...

why spoil the fun of wishful thinking by including caveats of theoretical limitations, since we're talking about an object of fiction anyway. confused13.gif

Just sayin.

[gimme the lotto, baby...enough to buy the damn time machine...then, the world!! Suck it, Doc Brown! Mwah ha ha ah!] user posted image

Fair point, ioc.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 3 2011, 01:02 PM)
December 1980

I love musing on these sorts of things.

For example, say you could have been around when Hitler was born and, since you'd be in possession of knowledge no one else had, managed to somehow snuff him out in his infancy? If that's too brutal for you, imagine what you might have done to influence his youth and upbringing - maybe mentor him to become a successful artist or something.

Safe to say it would have altered the course of world history. But how, and to what extent?

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 3 2011, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 3 2011, 01:02 PM)
December 1980

I love musing on these sorts of things.

For example, say you could have been around when Hitler was born and, since you'd be in possession of knowledge no one else had, managed to somehow snuff him out in his infancy? If that's too brutal for you, imagine what you might have done to influence his youth and upbringing - maybe mentor him to become a successful artist or something.

Safe to say it would have altered the course of world history. But how, and to what extent?

If you love asking historical "What if?" questions, then check out these books: What If?: The World's Foremost Military Historians Imagine What Might Have Been . I've read the first two and I'll be getting #3 soon.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 3 2011, 03:40 PM)

If you love asking historical "What if?" questions, then check out these books: What If?: The World's Foremost Military Historians Imagine What Might Have Been . I've read the first two and I'll be getting #3 soon.

That was a very interesting read. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by ioc