Neil to be on Letterman..

liddybuck01

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 10 2011, 11:17 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 10 2011, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 10 2011, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 10 2011, 01:53 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 10 2011, 12:32 PM)
Neil has been playing inefficiently for most of his career - he uses 10x the energy he needs to to get the job done, and has a moderately poor set up ergonomically

that he's managed to impress and overwhelm most of us for almost four decades is a testament to his great endurance and talent (though the mind boggles when imagining what he could've accomplished with a better setup and proper kinesthetics)

I'm nitpicking, but I'm sure the 'rimsticking' was just a case of being a little sloppy - he's been working against himself and his drum kit very successfully for 40 years, he's bound to slip occasionally

Ya know something? You are one of the most insufferable members on this entire website. wink.gif

Seriously though, your post reminds me of those "insufferable" posts we were treated to a few years back from "Melodic777," who continuously trashed Geddy's bass tone and insisted to us that he was much better.

In all fairness, Ghostie does not come close to M777. No one does.

And Ghostie has a point, or at least HAD one. Meaning, to me, he's describing Neil's technique and kit ergonomics from the pre-Gruber era. Don't get me wrong, Neil still exerts a lot of energy pounding the crap out of his drums, but his motion seems more natural now.

Look at last night's solo as compared to the one from A Show Of Hands where he's all hunched over with his arms too tight to his body.

I'm glad I'm ignorant enough to enjoy only what I hear! And I like what I hear!

That's a good point too. If you listen to that ASOH solo, it sounds pretty damn good! But what Neil has brought to his drumming post-Gruber is a more relaxed feel, and the ability to groove more. He couldn't play like that 20 years ago.

he still seems a bit stiff in the swing section.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 10 2011, 02:49 PM)
Neil has been playing inefficiently for most of his career - he uses 10x the energy he needs to to get the job done, and has a moderately poor set up ergonomically

that he's managed to impress and overwhelm most of us for almost four decades is a testament to his great endurance and talent (though the mind boggles when imagining what he could've accomplished with a better setup and proper kinesthetics)

I'm nitpicking, but I'm sure the 'rimsticking' was just a case of being a little sloppy - he's been working against himself and his drum kit very successfully for 40 years, he's bound to slip occasionally

Ya know something? You are one of the most insufferable members on this entire website. wink.gif

Seriously though, your post reminds me of those "insufferable" posts we were treated to a few years back from "Melodic777," who continuously trashed Geddy's bass tone and insisted to us that he was much better.

And Ghostie has a point, or at least HAD one. Meaning, to me, he's describing Neil's technique and kit ergonomics from the pre-Gruber era. Don't get me wrong, Neil still exerts a lot of energy pounding the crap out of his drums, but his motion seems more natural now.

Look at last night's solo as compared to the one from A Show Of Hands where he's all hunched over with his arms too tight to his body.

That's a good point too. If you listen to that ASOH solo, it sounds pretty damn good! But what Neil has brought to his drumming post-Gruber is a more relaxed feel, and the ability to groove more. He couldn't play like that 20 years ago.

That's because he's a rock drummer playing swing. Not a jazz drummer.

In that context, he does very well; of course it's going to pale against lifelong jazz drummers.

*Another one who's glad I don't have enough knowledge for it to ruin my enjoyment of the performance*

Just what you would expect from Neil! It was clear to me Letterman wasn't really familiar with his work, but at least we got Neil on tv for all the viewers to see.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 10 2011, 02:54 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 10 2011, 02:49 PM)

That's because he's a rock drummer playing swing. Not a jazz drummer.

In that context, he does very well; of course it's going to pale against lifelong jazz drummers.

*Another one who's glad I don't have enough knowledge for it to ruin my enjoyment of the performance*

I agree with that. Despite Neil's forays into jazz, he's a rock drummer. That's not a bad thing at all, it's just that he's played rock music since his teens and it was years before he dabbled in jazz.

In comparison, PT's Gavin Harrison, this generation's Neil Peart (most influential prog rock drummer), grew up playing jazz, so his ability to swing is part of his DNA.

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Jun 10 2011, 06:41 AM)
QUOTE (Sgt.D @ Jun 10 2011, 02:36 AM)
Loved seeing Neil tonight! I was able to get off work in time to go over to my 72 year old mothers place and enjoy it with her. She loved it and commented that it seemed to her more a "spectacle" than a drum solo. She was impressed I could tell. My mom is from a railroad family and loved the train whistle very much. I was able to remind her that I'm a drummer because of her and my late fathers support and sharing that with her tonight was very special! Thanks Neil.

thank you, what a wonderful story. I only wish I could say that.

and for you hey what's goin on besides a drum solo people like

he's pluggin something

will it be taped

yadda yadda yadda

Like the kid from the Simpson's

HAH hah!

And with but 4 minutes, he doesn't have a full 15 min or so to showcase his new n every move, BUT

He sure the hell laid down some awfully good riffs in the 4 he was allotted!

You go bro!

Thank you. I left last night realizing that watching that with her was one fo those cool little moments in life that I'll always remember. I've seen Rush dozens of times and have played the music around me and her since I was 11. She even mentioned how she still has a letter I composed to Neil when I was that age. I'm thinking that that is actually the first time she has probably ever seen him and watched him play, only knowing and hearing from afar about this drummer who has meant so much to me. I'm lucky that to this day I make a large portion of my living playing drums and get to play every week professionally and it is in no small part to the loving and supportive nature of my parents, its really hitting me how fun that was to share with her.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 10 2011, 01:47 PM)
'insufferable know-it-all'
I'm starting to take that kind of commentary as a source of pride  biggrin.gif

You heard it here first, folks. Ghostworks wants his member title to be: "Insufferable Know-It-All" laugh.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 10 2011, 01:03 PM)
In comparison, PT's Gavin Harrison, this generation's Neil Peart (most influential prog rock drummer), grew up playing jazz, so his ability to swing is part of his DNA.

This generation? Dude is 47 years old!

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 10 2011, 01:49 PM)

Think about it...his solo USUALLY comes about 3/4 into the show after he's been playing for a good hour and 25 minutes....do ya think he had enough warm up to get it done? Doubt it!

Can't speak for the sound of the ride...could have been the sound reinforcement for it, but it DID sound crappy! Wonder if it's just a good cymbal through the right mic with the right processing? It's not like he's playing acoustically most of the time....I'm sure he looks for something different in a cymbal sound than the rest of us do....(that said, I'm not really a fan of Sabians)

Anyway....Who are YOU to say whether Neil plays inefficiently or if his set is not set up correctly...it's HIS set! He went through his "re-birth" drumming wise, and if it works for him, then more power to him! You ever see how Bruford was setting his kit up the last few years he played? Or not some guys have stuff WAY UP, or WAY LOW....I like my kit the way it is, if you DON'T, tough, I have to play it, and I like it that way!

I look at how his toms are set, and spaced and wonder why, but I don't have to play them, simple as that!

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Jun 10 2011, 04:57 PM)

What I mean is, 20 years ago, Neil was that guy. Right now, it's Gavin. It has nothing to do with his age.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 10 2011, 03:07 PM)

What I mean is, 20 years ago, Neil was that guy. Right now, it's Gavin. It has nothing to do with his age.

I would agree with you that Gavin is indeed the man these days, but unless you are a prog or drum nerd then no one knows who he is... Seriously, no one. If you say 'Porcupine Tree' to someone, they think you are talking about some kind of weird plant. tongue.gif

Now the kids will tell you all about how Travis Barker is the greatest drummer on the Earth. wink.gif

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Jun 10 2011, 04:00 PM)
Anyway....Who are YOU to say whether Neil plays inefficiently or if his set is not set up correctly...

He's some guy on the internet. tongue.gif

BTW, I thought the "insufferable" title belonged to a certain member who's name borrows from an Andy Griffith character. Rushopie, Rushgomer, something like that? tongue.gif (Kidding!)

Edited by PariahDog

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 10 2011, 01:22 PM)
I've just seen Neil on Letterman now on youtube...pretty cool...

How were the other drummers on "drum solo week" did Neil steal the show??

unsure.gif

Neil was good as always but I thought Anton Fig's was pretty great.

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Jun 10 2011, 05:12 PM)
Now the kids will tell you all about how Travis Barker is the greatest drummer on the Earth. wink.gif

This. It is a Sad, Sad world when this asshat has his name mentioned in the same sentence as Greatness .

QUOTE (hunter @ Jun 10 2011, 06:43 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 10 2011, 01:22 PM)
I've just seen Neil on Letterman now on youtube...pretty cool...

How were the other drummers on "drum solo week" did Neil steal the show??

unsure.gif

Neil was good as always but I thought Anton Fig's was pretty great.

Well yeah Fig is an excellent drummer and plays on all sorts of albums these days, from Ace Frehley to Oz Noy and he can fit right in playing jazz, rock or whatever he needs to...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Jun 10 2011, 05:12 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 10 2011, 03:07 PM)

I would agree with you that Gavin is indeed the man these days, but unless you are a prog or drum nerd then no one knows who he is... Seriously, no one. If you say 'Porcupine Tree' to someone, they think you are talking about some kind of weird plant. tongue.gif

I dunno...I like Porcupine Tree (A LOT!) but I don't think Gavin is even CLOSE to Neil style wise, (or chops wise for that matter) Two separate types of playing IMHO.....Haven't heard much of him with Fripp, but that COULD change the game a tad....

I gravitated from Neil to Vinnie Coliauta since I became a Zappa fan after I really DUG into Rush! Vinnie morphed into knowing Terry Bozzio, and I just gave UP from there!!!

It was a good solo, but I don't think he needs all those samplers. How about just playing drums?

I've seen some really good solos from drummers on drumsets that were much smaller and stripped down.

There's no need for all the extra decoration. It's too much.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 11 2011, 07:31 AM)
Before the show aired I knew that people were going to be critical and demanding, especially in light of the fact that Neil himself has consistently set his own bar of excellence so high. I wasn't wrong.

* fixed