Chris Squire meets Geddy Lee

My jamming buddies and I are forever debating over whose bass lines are more complex.....and/or whose deliver more to the overall sound of their respective bands.

Some may say 'apples and oranges'. Yet, we still go round and round with our argument of who is #1 better and #2 more influential, in bass circles ( to my playing in particular) and #3 who is my actual father.

I can only dream of emulating their styles and sound at this point in my playing ( 1 yr. with still lots of scales, blues jams and AC/DC) but I am so very much influenced by both, to a point where it is contradicting and complicating my own progress to find my own style......That's my problem....

Here's yours....

I have to ask.

Who do you think is better? ( whatever better means).

Geddy Lee or Chris Squire

Chris . I am sure if you ask Geddy, he will tell you the same thing. I also think Chris will tell you the same thing laugh.gif
  • Like 1

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 23 2011, 11:51 AM)
Chris . I am sure if you ask Geddy, he will tell you the same thing. I also think Chris will tell you the same thing laugh.gif

Geddy would say Chris for sure, and you're right about Chris saying the same rofl3.gif

On the whole, Chris Squire's bass parts abr a LOT tougher.

Geddy tends to stay with the vocal tracks, wheras Chirs is often playing complete counter-melodies and in different times while he is singing harmony lines, those also at different times sometimes and usually sung at a higher pitch than Jon Anderson's main vocal was.

Chris' job in Yes is a complete mindbender if you ask me. I pulled it off reasonably well in my own Yes tribute from 1998 to 2001. It was an incredible amount of work and the music is way more complex than any Rush songs ever could be. I started playing in 1981, studying both Geddy Lee and Chris Squire as my two main influences. They still are to this day.

I can play Yes tunes as good as Rush tunes and feel that I have accomplished one main goal that I set when I started and that was to learn both Geddy and Chirs' bass parts.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll215/TPesch2112/19030884-1.jpg

Chris, because he still uses his Rickenbacker regularly wink.gif

In all seriousness, Chris gets my vote, but it's a close vote.

I'm not sure I can say who's better. Chris's bass playing on Fragile and Close To The Edge can't be touched, but I'll give it to Geddy because prefer his style.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ May 24 2011, 12:13 PM)
Close, but I give the edge to Geddy just because I prefer his style. Chris is great and does some beautiful, way more melodic stuff, but I find Geddy more exciting.

Well, same here.

I like Geddy's style more but if the question is who's the better all around bassist of the two, the edge goes to Chris Squire.

Check out The Gates of Delirium or Ritual from Yesshows and report back to me later once the shock wears off.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ May 24 2011, 12:13 PM)
Close, but I give the edge to Geddy just because I prefer his style. Chris is great and does some beautiful, way more melodic stuff, but I find Geddy more exciting.

Well, same here.

I like Geddy's style more but if the question is who's the better all around bassist of the two, the edge goes to Chris Squire.

Check out The Gates of Delirium or Ritual from Yesshows and report back to me later once the shock wears off.

That is, if you are a bassist and you can understand exactly what goes into playing those songs.

Otherwise, asking non musicians who's the better player is tough, because of the obvious.

After reading all the above, it sounds like the question is really "who consistently writes the more intricate bass lines?" I've been listening to both bands religiously for almost 40 years, and IMHO there's nothing Chris Squire can play that Geddy Lee can't, and vice versa! It's more a case of how their respective bands' material has evolved over the years and how they each choose to serve that material!

Also, Geddy's unique, predominantly one finger plucking style likely derived from choosing not to use a pick, while nevertheless having been influenced by a "who's who" of pick users, ie. Jack Bruce, John Entwistle, John Paul Jones, Paul McCartney, Roger Glover... and "yes", Chris Squire himself. Sheer mechanical theory would boldly state that using a pick would yield a significant advantage over the one-finger-pseudo-picking technique... just sayin'!

All of that said however, I think they would both be the first to concede that this debate is somewhat academic in a world that includes virtuosos such as Jeff Berlin, Stu Hamm, John Pattitucci, and Alain Caron... and let's not forget Jeff Beck's young female bass phenom Tal Wilkenfeld!

Jeff Berlin: https://www.youtube....h?v=6at4jSG3cUc

Stu Hamm:

John Pattitucci:

Alain Caron: https://www.youtube....h?v=hDMelmMktm8

Tal Wilkenfeld:

You might want to also check out Gary Willis, Stanley Clarke, Jonas Hellborg, and the late Jaco Pastorius!

The universe is, indeed, expanding...

Edited by alieninvasion76

I saw phrases like "Squire is more melodic" and "Squire's parts are way tougher" and almost collapsed. I have played Yes and Rush. There is nothing Squire has played (that I have tried - I honestly haven't attempted everything) that I can't play. He's talented and interesting but he ain't Geddy Lee.

Also there is absolutely no way in hell you can tell me he is more melodic. Geddy is far and away the most melodic bass player I have ever heard. And his playing follows the singing? W-w-w-what? Play and sing Hemispheres and tell me that. Or Circumstances... or The Big Money.

Jesus... any of 'em. Squire may sound impressive because of the pick cause he can swing it a mile a minute but the left hand? Not as much going on there as you would think.

JMO

You knew I'd have one TM and Narp. ;)

Just realized how old this thread is. :facepalm:

• Like 2

Yes, that "his playing follows his singing" comment struck me as well. The fact that he can play a ripping, complicated bass line that's completely contrapuntal/syncopated to what he's singing is one of the very reasons why he's considered one of the best in the rock genre. In fact, I doubt there's any one who's playing bass and singing simultanesouly in any genre that can do it better!!

It's for this reason that even some of the crazy ass jazz/fusion bassists I mentioned in my previous post would have to give him his due, and it's a matter of record that most of them have, in fact, acknowledged him in some way, at one time or another. Jeff Berlin, in particular, even played on the jazz band version of "YYZ" with Neil during the Buddy Rich Memorial concert. Unfortunately, it was just recently removed from Youtube!

Edited by alieninvasion76

I saw phrases like "Squire is more melodic" and "Squire's parts are way tougher" and almost collapsed. I have played Yes and Rush. There is nothing Squire has played (that I have tried - I honestly haven't attempted everything) that I can't play. He's talented and interesting but he ain't Geddy Lee.

Also there is absolutely no way in hell you can tell me he is more melodic. Geddy is far and away the most melodic bass player I have ever heard. And his playing follows the singing? W-w-w-what? Play and sing Hemispheres and tell me that. Or Circumstances... or The Big Money.

Jesus... any of 'em. Squire may sound impressive because of the pick cause he can swing it a mile a minute but the left hand? Not as much going on there as you would think.

JMO

First I have seen this one. I was hoping you would comment and you did not disappoint..... :)
  • Like 1

JMO

I tired seeing why so many think Chris > Geddy, but I failed to. I favor Geddy in every conceivable way. I agree with you here.

Geddy is a bassist that is above using a pick, and can prove why bass is better played without one. It's a bass, not a guitar, notes per second has nothing on style/groove. Especially not in progressive rock.

Freewill anyone?

• Like 1