Styx: What's your opinion?

treeduck

STYX what's your take?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. STYX what's your take?

• 1 They're good, I have their three best albums, Pieces, Equinox, Illusion
    • 2 I like one or two songs of theirs, the rest I avoid
    • 3 They're a great, great band. I have all their albums, all are good.
    • 4 I'm indifferent to Styx, I've heard their stuff and it left me feeling blank
    • 5 I hate Styx, they suck, they should be called STYNX, de Young is a clown
    • 6 I've not heard anything by them, and I don't think I'd like them
    • 7 This is a band that passed me by, I have no opinion on them at all
    • 8 I like some of their stuff, one side of an album here, another side there
    • 9 I like Styx a little, musically, but I hate De young's vocals
    • 10 I used to like them but now I find them hard to listen to
    • 11 I used to hate them, I got into them recently but I'm no Styx freak
    • 12 I've never heard of Styx but maybe I'll check them out one day

My band opened for STYX last month. It was killer.

Photos:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...27&l=424abcd74b

Videos:

Edited by launchpad67a

I like everything I've ever heard by them, and I have a friend who was into them, so he played me more than just what they had on the radio. I even like Mr. Roboto tongue.gif I went to see them last summer and enjoyed the show. I don't have any of their albums myself, though.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jun 27 2011, 09:08 PM)
I like everything I've ever heard by them, and I have a friend who was into them, so he played me more than just what they had on the radio. I even like Mr. Roboto tongue.gif I went to see them last summer and enjoyed the show. I don't have any of their albums myself, though.

I love "Heavy Metal Poisoning!" 1287.gif

"Kilroy Was Here" is a very underrated record.

However I must say that "Edge Of The Century" is a piece of shite.

Glad Tommy Shaw stayed and Dennis got the boot!

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Jun 27 2011, 03:44 PM)
I am actually worried that they will blow Yes away when I see them. unsure.gif

Hahaha!! They might!!! The current Styx line up kick ass however I hate when Gowan dances and prances around his spinning keyboard.

Ugh.

To think that Alex Lifeson guest plays on one of his solo albums.

Lady and Suite Madam Blue have loud crunching guitar, phenomenal harmonies and a classic 70's sound. What's not to like? I think both are legit candidates for top 100 best rock songs of all time. Renegade, Miss America, Sailing Away? None of those appeal? They certainly have some top 40 'mehs' - Babe is unbearable - but overall, I think they're pretty solid.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 27 2011, 11:23 PM)

Just To Get Through The Night is sublime. Agree...Kilroy is gets thrown out too often because of Roboto.

I used to like them when I was younger, but now I kind of find their music a little too "bubblegum".

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 28 2011, 12:23 AM)

I used to love Kilroy Was Here until I heard their older albums. I haven't listened to it since, but there were a few good tracks on it.

I've been a fan of Styx since the 1970's and missed 3 tours since 1978. I've seen discussion on other boards about is Styx still Styx without Dennis DeYoung. I say.....YES.

The shows the current lineup does is a rocking one, not one laden with broadway themed tunes or syrup like Babe. They are having fun and tour a lot(doing roughly 200 shows a year), something DDY can't really do anymore.

A few years ago, I went to see Dennis do a show with a 50 piece orchestra. I wanted to see if he still had his "pipes". Well.....a few songs in, had my answer. He doesn't sing full time anymore, nor play keyboards much either. He seemed comfortable being center stage behind a microphone making sad references to Tommy Shaw and James(JY) Young.

If he were to rejoin the band(don't expect that!), his voice would shred after a few shows.

That said, I'd enjoy one final show with Dennis...if at some point they could mend fences. Do one last one in Chi-town or something. I'd dig that. I hate to see bands fight. Life is too short.

I love the current lineup, although I prefer Burtnik to Phillips in the band. Great energy and I'm excited to see them again.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 27 2011, 12:36 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jun 26 2011, 10:11 PM)
I just caught them this weekend on VH1 playing with , what looked like , a High School orchestra. They had some decent, catchy tunes, but are too cheesy for my taste.

I lump them in with Foreigner, REO speedwagon and Journey...bland, unadventurous radio rock, but with pretty solid musicians.

Foreigner were a f***ing good band mate...

1022.gif

Yeah, deep down I know they are a decent band....the problem is my brother...growing up, he loved all these bands and couldn't stand Rush, Sabbath etc...so I grew to despise those groups....we still argue about it to this day! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 28 2011, 07:48 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 27 2011, 11:23 PM)

Just To Get Through The Night is sublime. Agree...Kilroy is gets thrown out too often because of Roboto.

Although the end of Styx as we knew it began with Cornerstone, Kilroy was the final straw.. I really dislike that album. I've got it on vinyl, but it's the only one I never replaced on cd.

I will give it up for Just Get Thru This Night.. that's a nice sappy ballad and pretty good for what it is.

I miss DDY's vocals now and then, and I miss what he brought to the band in the area of production, but I don't miss his posing and cheesy-ness on stage. Larry's a little out there and all over the place, but he's not pompous (sp?) like Dennis so it doesn't seem to bother me as much.

Styx (best band from Chi-town) was really good

way back when ( mid-late 70's)

Their best work was when they got Shaw on vocals...

Although whats his name had a few good tunes vocally

every now and then.....After about 82 or so, they lost

it..and it was hasta la vesta time! They had their ROCKIN'

moments , though...for sure.

Edited by go2wrk@95974

QUOTE (Albone2112 @ May 7 2011, 05:04 PM)
Great band! I even have a soft spot for 'Mr. Roboto'. With that being said, I don't support the current incarnation.

No Dennis DeYoung = No Styx

I agree with that. I saw them in 2000, got free tickets - not a huge fan, and their keyboardist was a dudley moore looking (and acting) douchbag. Seriously, folks... b_sigh.gif

Thankfully when I got to see them, only the drummer wasn't the original dude...it was before he passed away, but they said he was sick during the show...that said, I think Todd Sucherman was a better drummer anyway....

I can't say I'm a HUGE fan, but I don't switch stations when they come on the radio...they, to me, were an ALMOST progressive band, that leaned a little more towards pop than rock....Progressive Pop?!?! It was one of those bands that your girlfriend didn't make you take the tape out when you were listening to them, but you could STILL have some "meat" to the tunes!

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 7 2011, 08:52 PM)
I like their seventies material such as Grand Illusion, Pieces of Eight, Cornerstone, and Paradise Theatre.

This.

However, DeYoung bugs.

Castle Walls, Crystal Ball....that about sums up Styx for me! used to listen to them with some frequency, but in the last 15 years I pretty much took it down to 2 or 3 songs.

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Jul 1 2011, 08:06 AM)
.......... It was one of those bands that your girlfriend didn't make you take the tape out when you were listening to them, but you could STILL have some "meat" to the tunes!

rofl3.gif

Well said man.

I can't say I'm a HUGE fan, but I don't switch stations when they come on the radio...they, to me, were an ALMOST progressive band, that leaned a little more towards pop than rock....Progressive Pop?!?! It was one of those bands that your girlfriend didn't make you take the tape out when you were listening to them, but you could STILL have some "meat" to the tunes!

True True!! My wife loves them! We saw them back in 2010 and they were great, going the 16th to see them in Nashville with Yes, 6th row. Good solid band. They didn't have very strong deep cuts on a few of their albums, I think that hurts a band sometimes. But boy they could write hits like nobody else.

I miss Dennis, but Tommy was always my main Styx guy anyway! 1022.gif

They're unfairly dismissed for their balladeering. It's very overstated. It's a bit akin to dismissing Kiss because their three biggest U.S. hits were two ballads (Beth and Forever) and a disco tune (I Was Made For Lovin' You)...and summarily labeling them a disco/soft rock outfit.

Wrong.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 5 2011, 09:16 AM)
It's a bit akin to dismissing Kiss because their three biggest U.S. hits were two ballads (Beth and Forever) and a disco tune (I Was Made For Lovin' You)...and summarily labeling them a disco/soft rock outfit.

Wrong.

I agree. There's many more good reasons to dismiss Kiss than those.tongue.gif