Please stop bashing Rush!

Gilbertk

Absurd! ofcourse rush care what the fans want but the conundrum is the divide between the "old rush good"brigade,the synth sinners and the new directioneers.

They cant be all things to all men and inevitably someone is gonna feel letdown.

If you cant dig anything post counterparts maybe its time to let go and

enjoy the memories because hemispheres 2 aint happening. fists crying.gif

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's nothing wrong at all with criticizing the band. Frankly it makes this board all the more interesting, with all the different opinions going back and forth. Now whats really annoying are the fanboys who blindly think the band can do no wrong.

Personally I think if they tried to do "another Hemispheres" (or insert-name-of-album-here) it'd just be a disappointment. They're past that stage of their collective career. Besides, that era already has a special place in the heart of every Rush fan (and in every record cabinet). Why try to take that away? Or do it again?

And like someone already said, everyone would b'aww over it anyways because they'd accuse Rush of blatantly "ripping off" their old style. sarcasm.gif There's just no winning with us, haha. As humans, it seems we are programmed to be unhappy and discontent in some way no matter what the situation.

Speaking of Hemispheres, I never thought of that album as one of their best anyway. Geddy's vocals irritate me on that one.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 6 2011, 07:09 AM)
Speaking of Hemispheres, I never thought of that album as one of their best anyway. Geddy's vocals irritate me on that one.

Those are my favorite vocals ever. eh.gif

Freddy mercury is my favorite vocalist, but nothing comes close to geddy's vocals throughout hemispheres. It seems out of this world and unbelievably epic.

For what it's worth, I'm glad that Rush does it "their way" even if it's something I don't care for. Although I would like them to do something that I'd like to hear, I don't necessarily expect them to change.

Those of us who've been discontented with the band's recent music are not out to punish the band afterall. If I decide to not buy the new album because I don't like it, I'm not trying to make the band suffer. They won't suffer monetarily.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 5 2011, 05:21 PM)
QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Apr 5 2011, 05:37 AM)
When it comes to Rush, I have no illusions about the band. Peart, and likely the other two, would probably loath me if he ever met me in person because I'm a pretty fundamentalist Christian. But you know, I'm OK with that.

I wouldn't assume that. They might not agree with your views or beliefs, but if they loathed you because your beliefs differed form theirs, that would be pretty sad for the members of Rush. Shared views and beliefs are not a requirement for me to love, respect and/or befriend someone, and I would think that the members of Rush are intelligent enough to respect diversity as well.

"Loath" might not be the correct word; more like I don't think there would be much respect. I don't think Neil would be very interested in me as a person because so much of what makes me who I am is wrapped up in ideas that he has considered and rejected long ago. Ideas, in fact, that he seems to find dangerous and threatening.

I don't find that disheartening, though (other than I wish he was a believer as I wish all were); as I said before, and my main point, is that what I expect to get from Neil and the boys is great music and thoughtful lyrics, even if the content is not something with which I agree.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Apr 6 2011, 09:53 AM)
When it comes to Rush, I have no illusions about the band. Peart, and likely the other two, would probably loath me if he ever met me in person because I'm a pretty fundamentalist Christian. But you know, I'm OK with that.

I wouldn't assume that. They might not agree with your views or beliefs, but if they loathed you because your beliefs differed form theirs, that would be pretty sad for the members of Rush. Shared views and beliefs are not a requirement for me to love, respect and/or befriend someone, and I would think that the members of Rush are intelligent enough to respect diversity as well.

"Loath" might not be the correct word; more like I don't think there would be much respect. I don't think Neil would be very interested in me as a person because so much of what makes me who I am is wrapped up in ideas that he has considered and rejected long ago. Ideas, in fact, that he seems to find dangerous and threatening.

I don't find that disheartening, though (other than I wish he was a believer as I wish all were); as I said before, and my main point, is that what I expect to get from Neil and the boys is great music and thoughtful lyrics, even if the content is not something with which I agree.

I don't think that they'd have any problem with your beliefs as long as you didn't try to push your beliefs upon them.

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Apr 6 2011, 09:58 AM)
QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Apr 6 2011, 09:53 AM)

I don't think that they'd have any problem with your beliefs as long as you didn't try to push your beliefs upon them.

Depends on what you mean by "push your beliefs on them".

If I thought pushing my beliefs on people would work, I'd do it. I believe in evangelism. I don't take an aggressive approach to evangelism, though, because it tends to drive people away more than bring them in. But if you ask me about my faith, I am pretty firm about telling you exactly what I believe, and a lot of it you might not like to hear. I guess I'm pushy, but only if I only think it won't push you away- as long as you are interested in what I have to say, I'll speak. When you aren't interested, I'll shut up and find a new topic.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Apr 6 2011, 03:57 AM)
There's nothing wrong at all with criticizing the band. Frankly it makes this board all the more interesting, with all the different opinions going back and forth. Now whats really annoying are the fanboys who blindly think the band can do no wrong.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (oldphilly @ Apr 4 2011, 06:55 PM)
QUOTE (zogoto @ Apr 4 2011, 05:37 PM)
I think one of the problems is the dichotomy between Rush existing as a business and the image of Rush existing for their fans. Throughout the documentary they talk about how loyal many of their fans are, and so by charging high rates (which will be payed, as many have pointed out) it almost seems like taking advantage. Thus the integrity that the band is so renown for is called into question.

This may be the most honest,insightful and eloquently said post in the history of TRF.

Really?

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 7 2011, 02:12 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 6 2011, 09:09 PM)

Yet your sn is "circumstantial tree"?! unsure.gif

Must be some kind of identity crisis thing? wacko.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 5 2011, 06:40 AM)
QUOTE (jebren72 @ Apr 5 2011, 01:25 PM)
Does anyone know what happened to the "Old Rush good, new Rush bad" guy? He used to be all over this place, and would have been all over this topic in the past.

Seek and ye shall find. wink.gif

Sounds like the mantra of Cosy Toes aka Nickslikk :wink.gif

Don't let him fool you,he is a total Neil fanboi! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Apr 7 2011, 06:46 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 7 2011, 02:12 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 6 2011, 09:09 PM)

Yet your sn is "circumstantial tree"?! unsure.gif

Must be some kind of identity crisis thing? wacko.gif

Identity crises only happen to fanboys (something I'm not nor will ever be).

I picked the name because I liked the sound of it. It was more original than some of the more obvious ones.

QUOTE (Nim2 @ Apr 7 2011, 06:37 PM)
If I had a nickel for every thread I have seen like this......

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ beathorse.gif

You'd be making 15 cents per month?

QUOTE (jebren72 @ Apr 5 2011, 07:25 AM)
Does anyone know what happened to the "Old Rush good, new Rush bad" guy? He used to be all over this place, and would have been all over this topic in the past.

He might be right under your nose!

Glad you stuck with your original instead of your alter... You could have gotten banned!

Archived