Please stop bashing Rush!

Gilbertk

This is a very good topic and I'm glad it go brought up.

I come to TRF to talk about Rush and Prog and Metal and all things music--- With a Rush tilt. Sometimes I'm a Fanboy, sometimes I'm critical. I fully expect that when I am critical that I'm going to take some heat. That's the nature of this beast, and frankly, I really love it. Whether I'm reading a post or a novel or a biography, if there is no conflict there is no story. TRF, most of the time is a good read. Keep it up, Trolls!-- Or whatever you are...

This board would be extinct without conflict. We can only endure, "What's your favorite 2nd song on the first 6 Rush albums" so many times!

As for the current gripes bitches and complaints:

Ticket prices are pretty much in line with other headliners

T shirt prices have been brutal for two decades

The unchanged setlist is a disappointment but I'm over it

HW

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (abaco @ Apr 5 2011, 12:33 AM)
"Live for yourself...there's no one else
More worth living for
Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more

Well, I know they've always told you
Selfishness was wrong
Yet it was for me, not you, I came to write this song"

Anthem

I love this !!!!

I think even Neil Pert has had second thoughts about those lyrics since he wrote them.

Some people grow up. Even hardline sociopaths.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Apr 5 2011, 02:52 AM)
More worth living for

Selfishness was wrong

Anthem

I love this !!!!

I think even Neil Pert has had second thoughts about those lyrics since he wrote them.

Gawd, WHAT is your childhood trauma? You never pass up any chance to take a swipe at Neil. Good grief, did he run over your dog or something? Jeez.

Give it a freaking rest, willya? beathorse.gif

I don't see how complaining about a website charging extortionate fees for Rush T-shirts is bashing Rush. The website has nothing to do with Rush directly.

If you're going to have a Rush Forum, you've got to take the good with the bad - this ain't a forum about the exploits of Jesus Christ.

What it all comes down to is some people here think people should conform to the way they do things or the way they think things should be done, like never complaining about Rush on a Rush fan forum.

That's all well and nice to want that and think that's the way it should be, but get ready for a lot of misery. It's much easier to just accept the reality that not everyone is going to do things the way you think they should. If you don't like those posts/threads, skip over them or start your own happy Rush forum where no negativity allowed, because those posts aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Or maybe this place isn't for you if you feel you can't avoid those posts/threads and they're upsetting to you.

Harsh? Maybe, but also the truth.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 4 2011, 07:24 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 4 2011, 06:39 PM)
People are free to bash whatever they feel they should as a fans of the band. The have a right to voice displeasure for something Rush does. Just as you have the right to praise them for the same thing if you like it.

If someone starts a thread or says something that annoys you, don't respond to them or read anything else from them on that particular topic. It's really not that hard. I love 90 percent of what Rush has recorded but that doesn't mean there's other fans who aren't as thrilled with what they've done.

If this board was "all Rush praise all the time" it would get boring rather quickly. At least this way it gets some good discussions going and it's not the same old, same old around here.

goodpost.gif

In the spirit of this comment, I'd like to say that I will no longer be supporting Rush financially because I'm sick and tired of them recording the music that THEY want. Who do those selfish jerks think they are? They should be releasing the music WE want them to. They should just re-record feedback and throw some Miley Cyrus covers and everyone will be satisfied. wink.gif

it's absolutely 100% what they want to do and how they want to do it but what they've been doing has lacked that spark imo and they have been fizzling creatively for a while now. they are best when the sound is raw and stripped down where you can hear all of the intruments and not with alot of layering and trying to force lyrics. this is only one persons opinion and i'm in the minority but there's plenty of room for everybody. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Apr 4 2011, 02:55 PM)
Ready? ok...

ranton.gif

Maybe you don't like Rush's recent material as much as their older stuff, but so what? They beauty of Rush is that they do what they want and they don't care what we think!

Yes, concert tickets are expensive, but do you really think that the massive productions the boys have put on are cheap? Do you think they only have 2 crew members?

Don't feel like paying for the tour shirt or book? Then don't!

Please stop all the whining and complaining! Tour's aren't cheap, especially at the level of Rush's shows. There are tons of crew members and each is one of the best in the business, so don't they deserve to get paid a fair amount? If you can't afford front row, then stop whining and get lawn seats.

Rush has worked hard on their new material. Maybe even harder than worked in the 70's, 80's and 90's, so for you to just sit there and demand that they do something different, or declare that it's not as good as it used to be is totally uncalled for! Like I said before, they don't care what you or anyone else thinks, they are making the music they want to make!

Declaring that you are no longer buying there music as if your opinion is the greatest out there just makes you an immature ass! If you don't want to buy the music, DON'T, but don't act as if your trying to make a statement to the band! The boys just don't care!

rantoff.gif

Thank you, that is all.

goodpost.gif I couldn't agree more!

Personally, I do wish there was a forum where the most critical thing said about the band was "I don't care for song, xyz- it's just not my cup of tea." I figured when I went searching for a forum for the fans of Rush, that's what I'd get. Turns out that isn't the case, and probably never will be. I lament that.

Honestly, I don't enjoy reading people bashing ANYTHING beyond politely saying it's not their preference, and certainly I don't enjoy it on a fan forum. It's the disrespect I don't enjoy reading, and calling people sell-outs, has beens, etc. isn't respectful. There is music that I simply cannot stand to listen to, but even then I believe it isn't appropriate to go around making personal attacks about the motives of the people producing said music.

When it comes to Rush, I have no illusions about the band. Peart, and likely the other two, would probably loath me if he ever met me in person because I'm a pretty fundamentalist Christian. But you know, I'm OK with that. I get what I need out of their music and I can certainly relate to them in a very positive way through that- the only thing they've ever promised me ("If you pay us, we'll make music for you"). They are not gods to me, and I can't imagine they would ever find me a "long awaited friend", but I really enjoy their talent and listening to their music, so that's what I like to focus on.

I realize I can't control what other people say and a forum like this is the best thing available to me if I want to talk about this great band- that's fine. The world doesn't need to bow to my wishes about the way it should be. But the excuse of "it's the internet, you just have to expect it" doesn't cut it in terms of personal responsibility. We are people and should act with respect toward others in the things we say and not hide behind the anonymity of the internet in order to use hurtful language about others, whether its a band in the public eye, like Rush, or fans of said band.

It IS possible to be on the internet and have intelligent, respectful discourse on topics way more polarizing than the band Rush. I know because I am a member of a forum that regularly discusses politics, religion, and other sensitive topics without the need to bash the subjects or the people involved in the discussion with negative language (and these are folks with DRASTICALLY different opinions on these subjects). As I've wandered into other forums I've found that forum to be a rather atypical group of people, which is sad. I figured that a fan forum for a band like Rush would easily contain a group of people who want to talk positively about such an incredible group of musicians and what makes this band so unique and special. I was wrong, but we all are let down in this world at times.

That's my feeling on the subject anyway.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 5 2011, 08:04 AM)
LEAVE BRITNEY ALOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

And now, here's a word from our sponsors:

"SASQUATCH"

Now, back to our regular program.

Dammit!

You beat me to it laugh.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Apr 5 2011, 11:08 AM)
More worth living for

Selfishness was wrong

Anthem

I love this !!!!

Gawd, WHAT is your childhood trauma? You never pass up any chance to take a swipe at Neil. Good grief, did he run over your dog or something? Jeez.

Well somebody has to keep reminding the fanbois that Mr Kneel Purt is not a paragon of virtue, he is not the messiah he's a very naughty boy, as well as not being the world's best drummer. He's also a mediocre clarinet player and lyricist.

I will never forgive him for the way he like so dissed my daddy. NEVER.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Apr 5 2011, 06:52 AM)
More worth living for

Selfishness was wrong

Anthem

I love this !!!!

Radical???

"They beauty of Rush is that they do what they want and they don't care what we think! "

This is the spirit.

Sorry, if you didn't understand.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 5 2011, 07:04 AM)
LEAVE BRITNEY ALOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

And now, here's a word from our sponsors:

"SASQUATCH"

Now, back to our regular program.

i agree with this yes.gif

he said sasquatch tongue.gif

QUOTE (jebren72 @ Apr 5 2011, 01:25 PM)
Does anyone know what happened to the "Old Rush good, new Rush bad" guy? He used to be all over this place, and would have been all over this topic in the past.

Seek and ye shall find. wink.gif

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Apr 5 2011, 08:05 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Apr 5 2011, 11:08 AM)
More worth living for

Selfishness was wrong

Anthem

I love this !!!!

Well somebody has to keep reminding the fanbois that Mr Kneel Purt is not a paragon of virtue, he is not the messiah he's a very naughty boy, as well as not being the world's best drummer. He's also a mediocre clarinet player and lyricist.

I will never forgive him for the way he like so dissed my daddy. NEVER.

No doubt, your Daddy deserved dissin'.

QUOTE (jebren72 @ Apr 5 2011, 07:25 AM)
Does anyone know what happened to the "Old Rush good, new Rush bad" guy? He used to be all over this place, and would have been all over this topic in the past.

I guess TRF banned him for some silly reason.

He really does have a good sense of humor and usually gets me to laugh.

Freedom of speech does have it's advantages and disadvantages.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Apr 5 2011, 08:52 AM)

our freedoms are slowly being taken away. just hope this doesn't turn into a totalitarian forum. biggrin.gif unsure.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Apr 5 2011, 09:52 AM)

He's got family who are still pretty active here, though. wink.gif They're almost as funny.

People who've met him say he's a super-nice guy in person.

Archived