Not supporting Rush financially anymore

GeminiRising79

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Apr 3 2011, 11:42 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 3 2011, 10:28 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 3 2011, 07:17 AM)
When hasn't Rush, or any other band, been a "cash machine" for the business side of their profession? It's such a silly argument...

it's really not. they managed for many, many years to both make money touring AND release albums on a semi-regular basis. music for me is creativity, and creativity is creating. without new material, they're just living off past glories as a golden oldies band and making a bundle covering the same ground over and over.

you're free to look at them with as thick rose colored glasses as you want to, however. i love the band too, but i can't ignore the realities of precious few albums for the last two decades, and a plethora of cash-vacuuming touring. people say, oh great for them, they're making well-earned money. of course they are, and of course they deserve it, but they're not living up to the standard of a band with huge integrity to me by going the easy route.

the argument i don't buy is there's no money to be made in albums anymore. i'm not saying it's not true, but it's a poor excuse for not being an active creative band. if they were really interested in making new material, they'd make it work. god knows they've got enough money that they could make an album every 2 years, or even 3 if it was about still being a creative entity. once every 4 or 5 years feels more like "well, we can't get way with this incessant touring thing anymore without it looking really bad, so let's suck it up and make an album."

ahhhhh, it feels so good to tell it like it is (obviously IMHO from my perspective), regardless of what anyone else thinks! biggrin.gif

I don't believe "that's the way it is" at all. I just don't buy it. Do you honestly think they're that greedy and manipulative?

Greedy? Yes. Manipulative? Not so much. It's not like they're sneaking something by us. It's pretty obvious.

Your argument comes across to me as spoiled, cynical and jaded.

I have no argument with this statement. tongue.gif

They have to enjoy playing and touring somewhat or they wouldn't be doing it.

Are you positive about that? For the amount of money they're making, I'd stand naked in front of 10,000 people for 3 hours each night.

I don't think they're that strapped for cash, hell they probably could've retired in the late 90s and wouldn't have had to take up day jobs anytime soon.

That's where the greedy aspect comes in. Not like there's anything wrong with it. They want to be able to give their children and grandchildren and great grandchildren great lives. Nothing wrong with that. Let's just call it what it is, though.

They're touring Europe to give fans there the chance to see a special presentation. They didn't do it last year because that wasn't the original intention and their plans changed. That simple.

The plans did change. They probably saw how much money they could make with a second leg, especially if they included some territory they hadn't played in awhile. It's not like their albums sell that well anymore anyway, so they weren't missing out on any cash by changing what they told their fans they were going to do.

They're still creating, writing and recording like they always have. After 35 years and 18 studio albums, that's still not good enough for you?

Are they though? First 19 years - 14 albums. Second 19 years - 4 albums, 1 ep of cover tunes and a single.

The thing is until their success in the early 80s they had to tour like dogs just to establish themselves and had to release records regularly to keep up their momentum and get their name out there. Once they did breakthrough they were able to take more time between records and tours which is exactly what they did. How can a fan begrudge them the opportunity to take it a little easier and have more time off (particularly taking into consideration the events of thew late 90s) ? Anyway, their last 2 album were quite lengthy and the equivalent of double albums.

You're entitled to your perspective. I still think most people are being extremely forgiving and rationalizing any choices they make to give them the benefit of the doubt, but people are entitled to see things the way they see them.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 3 2011, 09:13 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 3 2011, 08:52 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 3 2011, 11:28 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 3 2011, 07:14 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 3 2011, 01:06 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 2 2011, 08:26 PM)
Funny, I've never seen a band supply their fan base with more choices than Rush has in the past decade or so. They're busting their asses. Thank you.

Are you serious? In the last 10 years (or the last almost 15 years for that matter, although those first 5 are understandable), they've made 2 albums, 1 ep of covers, and a single. Those aren't many choices, unless you consider live albums and DVD's choices. They're busting their asses on the road raking in the cash, and that's mostly been it.

I dunno, in the past ten years I've had the pleasure of more options from Rush than any other time I can remember. And yes, live albums and DVDs are choices! The entire music industry is in a paradigm shift and Rush, at their age and comfort zone, is doing a pretty good job and providing their fan base plenty of options. Rush are old dogs and they are open to learning new tricks. Jeez, they're touring and writing and recording a new album AT THE SAME time. That's pretty good for old geezers...

Also, it seems you believe that musicians should be holed up in a recording studio, whereas most musicians love performing their music live.

And, I don't get this whole "raking in" the cash criticism. They're musicians, it's their livelihood. God bless 'em for "raking in" the cash, last summer I witness one of the best Rush concerts I've ever attended. And I'm looking forward to next week and seeing them at MSG.

live albums and DVD's - meh. nice, but those are so easy these days and need almost no input from the band - easy money without having to produce any new material. and who's been listening to the last couple/few live rush albums? certainly not me... unsure.gif

it sounds to me just like rationalizing and not wanting to criticize your favorite band, but the reality is the band has released 2 albums, 1 EP of cover tunes and a single in the past 14 years. I'm not saying they have to be "holed up in a recording studio," but come on already! eh.gif

When hasn't Rush, or any other band, been a "cash machine" for the business side of their profession? It's such a silly argument...

it's really not. they managed for many, many years to both make money touring AND release albums on a semi-regular basis. music for me is creativity, and creativity is creating. without new material, they're just living off past glories as a golden oldies band and making a bundle covering the same ground over and over.

you're free to look at them with as thick rose colored glasses as you want to, however. i love the band too, but i can't ignore the realities of precious few albums for the last two decades, and a plethora of cash-vacuuming touring. people say, oh great for them, they're making well-earned money. of course they are, and of course they deserve it, but they're not living up to the standard of a band with huge integrity to me by going the easy route.

the argument i don't buy is there's no money to be made in albums anymore. i'm not saying it's not true, but it's a poor excuse for not being an active creative band. if they were really interested in making new material, they'd make it work. god knows they've got enough money that they could make an album every 2 years, or even 3 if it was about still being a creative entity. once every 4 or 5 years feels more like "well, we can't get way with this incessant touring thing anymore without it looking really bad, so let's suck it up and make an album."

ahhhhh, it feels so good to tell it like it is (obviously IMHO from my perspective), regardless of what anyone else thinks! biggrin.gif

I most certainly do not look at Rush through ["thick rose colored glasses". I criticize Rush when I think it is deserved. You simply want the Rush experience of 30 years ago. You seem to be the who is rationalizing your argument. To say that Rush, who are currently in their late fifties, are playing in safe and "raking in" the cash is silly. They are working hard and doing their best in a radically changing music business. And to say they aren't creative anymore is hogwash. You can argue they aren't as prolific or as cutting edge, but you can't argue they aren't being creative. Not many bands in the same boat as Rush are doing as much.

how are they being creative? in the 9 years since VT, they've made 1 ep of covers, 1 single and 1 (count 'em) studio album of new material. creativity, yes, if a tad chintzy and sporadic to say the least. yeah, supposedly they're working on a new album. i go by what they've released, not what they're supposedly working on.

the only argument i'll give people is that at their age they don't have to be doing anything anymore. that's true. it IS much better than nothing, but that still doesn't change anything.

saying i want the band of 30 years ago seems to be yet another rationalization to me to give them a free pass to do whatever they want. and yeah, i do have to question their integrity. i don't think they've ever intentionally compromised with their music (although i have to wonder what the hell they were thinking with some of the songs on RTB), even when i didn't like it, and i don't think they've ever half-assed it at a concert, but i bet if you asked Rush 30 years ago if they ever thought they'd go on three tours in a row without a new album, they'd have laughed in your face and talked about bands who do that as sell outs who are just chasing a buck.

some people want to be very glass half full and have nothing but positive things to say about the band, giving them a lot of leeway and the benefit of the doubt about everything. that's cool. it's very upbeat. i'm just calling 'em the way I see 'em. the first three songs on S&A are phenomenal, and the instrumentals were great. i'll give them credit where credit is due.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 3 2011, 11:54 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 3 2011, 11:00 AM)
rofl3.gif

I am sure they are crushed.

2.gif

Don't laugh. Things are a lot worse that we thought. sad.gif

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/rushgoober6/rushcom.jpg

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Apr 3 2011, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 3 2011, 11:54 AM)
rofl3.gif

2.gif

well done!!!

At this point in the career, Rush is a musical hydra.

Rush might lose one old fan but he is replaced by three new ones.

An example is my son who spent money he earned on his shirt, CD and sticker pack.

QUOTE (Pags @ Apr 3 2011, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 3 2011, 02:54 PM)
rofl3.gif

2.gif

This is a riot!

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Post of the year! laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 3 2011, 01:54 PM)
rofl3.gif
2.gif

Don't laugh. Things are a lot worse than we thought. sad.gif

z7shysterical.gif

applaudit.gif

rofl3.gif

2.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif 653.gif

rofl3.gif

2.gif

This is... amazing. rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 3 2011, 02:54 PM)
rofl3.gif

2.gif

NOOOOOOOO! :'(

rofl3.gif This is too funny.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 2 2011, 11:40 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 2 2011, 11:30 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 2 2011, 10:44 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 2 2011, 08:52 PM)
I'm not sure I'll buy the new CD when it comes out. I will take a wait and see stance. Creatively, in my opinion, Rush is getting a bit stagnant. I'm at the point where if I know I'm not going to play a CD very often, I won't bother getting it. If something should happen to my copy of "Snakes and Arrows" I don't think I'll buy a new copy.

i agree 100%.

So, you want them to repeat themselves? If you don't like the new music, fine. But you gotta hand it them, they don't play it safe. And I thank them for that.

actually, I think they do play it safe. Neil's drum solo has hardly changed and the same could be said of his lyrical content.

I am not one to say anything negative about the band but I am with you on the drum solo. It is uninspiring to me anymore after hearing it for so long. I think he should just cut it out if he doesn't want to put the thought in for a new one. Play another song.

QUOTE (Riv @ Apr 3 2011, 08:27 PM)
I'm not sure I'll buy the new CD when it comes out. I will take a wait and see stance. Creatively, in my opinion, Rush is getting a bit stagnant. I'm at the point where if I know I'm not going to play a CD very often, I won't bother getting it. If something should happen to my copy of "Snakes and Arrows" I don't think I'll buy a new copy.

i agree 100%.

So, you want them to repeat themselves? If you don't like the new music, fine. But you gotta hand it them, they don't play it safe. And I thank them for that.

actually, I think they do play it safe. Neil's drum solo has hardly changed and the same could be said of his lyrical content.

I am not one to say anything negative about the band but I am with you on the drum solo. It is uninspiring to me anymore after hearing it for so long. I think he should just cut it out if he doesn't want to put the thought in for a new one. Play another song.

yea i can hear it now. we've decided to cut out the drum solo so we could add a vault tune we enjoy playing. they keep us in suspense for a few months only to find out later it's roll the bones. wacko.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 3 2011, 12:13 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 3 2011, 08:52 AM)
Funny, I've never seen a band supply their fan base with more choices than Rush has in the past decade or so. They're busting their asses. Thank you.

Are you serious? In the last 10 years (or the last almost 15 years for that matter, although those first 5 are understandable), they've made 2 albums, 1 ep of covers, and a single. Those aren't many choices, unless you consider live albums and DVD's choices. They're busting their asses on the road raking in the cash, and that's mostly been it.

I dunno, in the past ten years I've had the pleasure of more options from Rush than any other time I can remember. And yes, live albums and DVDs are choices! The entire music industry is in a paradigm shift and Rush, at their age and comfort zone, is doing a pretty good job and providing their fan base plenty of options. Rush are old dogs and they are open to learning new tricks. Jeez, they're touring and writing and recording a new album AT THE SAME time. That's pretty good for old geezers...

Also, it seems you believe that musicians should be holed up in a recording studio, whereas most musicians love performing their music live.

And, I don't get this whole "raking in" the cash criticism. They're musicians, it's their livelihood. God bless 'em for "raking in" the cash, last summer I witness one of the best Rush concerts I've ever attended. And I'm looking forward to next week and seeing them at MSG.

live albums and DVD's - meh. nice, but those are so easy these days and need almost no input from the band - easy money without having to produce any new material. and who's been listening to the last couple/few live rush albums? certainly not me... unsure.gif

it sounds to me just like rationalizing and not wanting to criticize your favorite band, but the reality is the band has released 2 albums, 1 EP of cover tunes and a single in the past 14 years. I'm not saying they have to be "holed up in a recording studio," but come on already! eh.gif

I most certainly do not look at Rush through ["thick rose colored glasses". I criticize Rush when I think it is deserved. You simply want the Rush experience of 30 years ago. You seem to be the who is rationalizing your argument. To say that Rush, who are currently in their late fifties, are playing in safe and "raking in" the cash is silly. They are working hard and doing their best in a radically changing music business. And to say they aren't creative anymore is hogwash. You can argue they aren't as prolific or as cutting edge, but you can't argue they aren't being creative. Not many bands in the same boat as Rush are doing as much.

how are they being creative? in the 9 years since VT, they've made 1 ep of covers, 1 single and 1 (count 'em) studio album of new material. creativity, yes, if a tad chintzy and sporadic to say the least. yeah, supposedly they're working on a new album. i go by what they've released, not what they're supposedly working on.

the only argument i'll give people is that at their age they don't have to be doing anything anymore. that's true. it IS much better than nothing, but that still doesn't change anything.

saying i want the band of 30 years ago seems to be yet another rationalization to me to give them a free pass to do whatever they want. and yeah, i do have to question their integrity. i don't think they've ever intentionally compromised with their music (although i have to wonder what the hell they were thinking with some of the songs on RTB), even when i didn't like it, and i don't think they've ever half-assed it at a concert, but i bet if you asked Rush 30 years ago if they ever thought they'd go on three tours in a row without a new album, they'd have laughed in your face and talked about bands who do that as sell outs who are just chasing a buck.

some people want to be very glass half full and have nothing but positive things to say about the band, giving them a lot of leeway and the benefit of the doubt about everything. that's cool. it's very upbeat. i'm just calling 'em the way I see 'em. the first three songs on S&A are phenomenal, and the instrumentals were great. i'll give them credit where credit is due.

You accuse me of rationalizing my argument that Rush is still a creative band and, ironically, you do a heck of a lot of rationalizing and assuming with your arguments.

The fact is the music business is changing and Rush is adapting. The "record an album and then tour every year or two" cycle is pretty much gone and I get the feeling that's the standard of your argument.

You don't have to like the way Rush is doing things nowadays (and believe me, I have some issues with how Rush does some things), but you gotta hand it to them that they are working hard. Three guys in their late fifties simultaneously touring the Americas and Europe and writing an album is impressive.

QUOTE (Riv @ Apr 3 2011, 08:27 PM)

i agree 100%.

By and large I agree and I had been thinking about this subject earlier.

It seems like a drum solo is somewhat dating yourself. I can't remember the last extended drum solo I have seen outside of Rush. Its a relic of sorts. As many times as i have seen them, I would prefer another song.

The flip side is that the drum solo on ATWAS and ESL in no small way built Neils reputation and I think the casual/less than fanatical fan still expects it from Neil.

Well, I would like to have seen them perform in Greensboro last night. It would have been a kind of reunion of sorts since my first Rush show was at Greensboro Coliseum for Power Windows tour in April 1986. It was the last time they played there until last night.

Spot on.

Archived