Not supporting Rush financially anymore

GeminiRising79

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 2 2011, 07:20 PM)
I've decided that until Rush produces new music worthy of listening to (lyrics aside), and/or produces setlists worth my time, I will not be supporting them financially. This "doing sh!t their way" has run its course. Game-up or retire to save any remaining integrity you have.

My honest opinion- and, no... not trolling.

Aw.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 2 2011, 10:44 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 2 2011, 08:52 PM)
I'm not sure I'll buy the new CD when it comes out. I will take a wait and see stance. Creatively, in my opinion, Rush is getting a bit stagnant. I'm at the point where if I know I'm not going to play a CD very often, I won't bother getting it. If something should happen to my copy of "Snakes and Arrows" I don't think I'll buy a new copy.

i agree 100%.

So, you want them to repeat themselves? If you don't like the new music, fine. But you gotta hand it them, they don't play it safe. And I thank them for that.

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Apr 2 2011, 08:23 PM)
I can find myself believing that Gemini may be sincere.
After many albums, many years of fandom and beaucoup $$$ spent, I witnessed U2, a band I once wholeheartedly admired musically as well as for their social statements, go very commercial. I was very disappointed, very disenchanted and even broken hearted to see my beloved U2 go the commercial route.
Given the fact that RUSH is doing another leg of the Time Machine tour (recycling an already successful tour instead of going into the studio to record new material, in other words), perhaps, Gemini is feeling some of the same feelings for RUSH?

Just putting this thought out there.

I'm the first to say that U2 has run out of ideas, but when did they go commercial? They never compromised their sound or style to sell more records or tickets. The same goes for Rush. I think you're confusing becoming popular with going commercial.

QUOTE (oldphilly @ Apr 2 2011, 06:20 PM)
I'm beginning to like this GeminiRising79 fellow. He's honest,unapologetic and not willing to choke down every morsel "the boys"(pulease)throw our way.

Even though dude accused me of being a Neil Peart suckass.Hey Geminidude,suck my asshole.Afterwards I'll buy you a beer.

I like GM79 too.. Unlike you, he isn't so quick to be a vulgar lunatic wink.gif

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Apr 2 2011, 09:27 PM)
QUOTE (oldphilly @ Apr 2 2011, 08:20 PM)
I'm beginning to like this GeminiRising79 fellow. He's honest,unapologetic and not willing to choke down every morsel "the boys"(pulease)throw our way.

agreed.

Poppycock!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 2 2011, 11:30 PM)
I'm not sure I'll buy the new CD when it comes out. I will take a wait and see stance. Creatively, in my opinion, Rush is getting a bit stagnant. I'm at the point where if I know I'm not going to play a CD very often, I won't bother getting it. If something should happen to my copy of "Snakes and Arrows" I don't think I'll buy a new copy.

i agree 100%.

So, you want them to repeat themselves? If you don't like the new music, fine. But you gotta hand it them, they don't play it safe. And I thank them for that.

actually, I think they do play it safe. Neil's drum solo has hardly changed and the same could be said of his lyrical content.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 2 2011, 04:20 PM)
I've decided that until Rush produces new music worthy of listening to (lyrics aside), and/or produces setlists worth my time, I will not be supporting them financially.  This "doing sh!t their way" has run its course.  Game-up or retire to save any remaining integrity you have.

My honest opinion- and, no...  not trolling.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/LOLZ/funny-pictures-of-cats-with-captions-10.jpg

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 2 2011, 11:40 PM)

i agree 100%.

actually, I think they do play it safe. Neil's drum solo has hardly changed and the same could be said of his lyrical content.

Really? I've listened to a lot of drum solos in my time and most of them sound similar. I think he mixes things up, but it's a freaking drum solo. As for his lyrics, he continues to touch upon many subjects, albeit from a specific perspective. What do you want him to do? Write love silly love songs? Or update his feelings about hobbits and space travel?

QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 2 2011, 07:33 PM)
f***ing attention whore. Why this forum continues to indulge lame pricks like this I do not know.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 2 2011, 11:45 PM)

i agree 100%.

Really? I've listened to a lot of drum solos in my time and most of them sound similar. I think he mixes things up, but it's a freaking drum solo. As for his lyrics, he continues to touch upon many subjects, albeit from a specific perspective. What do you want him to do? Write love silly love songs? Or update his feelings about hobbits and space travel?

I'd like him to do something more avante garde. He should take more chances. He's very repetitive. The only things I notice that are different are whether or not the guitar or the synth dominates the music.

Come to think of it, I love "silly love songs" if they're done correctly. Neil might not know how to do that.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Apr 2 2011, 10:37 PM)

Even though dude accused me of being a Neil Peart suckass.Hey Geminidude,suck my asshole.Afterwards I'll buy you a beer.

Aw shucks. Did I offend you? you'll get over it.You'll be just fine.

yeah I'm a lunatic.I'm the great commander-ruler of the world.Also,I can fly too. wacko.gif eh.gif drool1.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 2 2011, 11:56 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 2 2011, 11:45 PM)

i agree 100%.

I'd like him to do something more avante garde. He should take more chances. He's very repetitive. The only things I notice that are different are whether or not the guitar or the synth dominates the music.

Come to think of it, I love "silly love songs" if they're done correctly. Neil might not know how to do that.

Avante garde? What? Captain Beefheart avante garde? Or GG Allin avante garde? An all ukulele and kazoo album with Gregorian chant? Rush is a freakin' rock band! They play guitars, drums and synths. Are Neil Peart's lyrics repetitive or simply following the zeitgeist? He's simply writing about what's going on around him, like always. Believe me, I'm no fanboi when it comes to Neil Peart. I don't think he's a great lyricist. I think he's merely good. But I certainly don't think he's repetitive. I think he still takes chances, but, like always, some of us (his fans) don't like it as much as our personal favorite stuff he wrote.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 2 2011, 06:20 PM)
I've decided that until Rush produces new music worthy of listening to (lyrics aside), and/or produces setlists worth my time, I will not be supporting them financially.  This "doing sh!t their way" has run its course.  Game-up or retire to save any remaining integrity you have.

schla03.gif

And Rush haven't lost their integrity at all.

Everybody is bound to see something that won't be in agreement with everybody else. Sorry, but I feel that Rush has already peaked and they're just not as creative.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Apr 2 2011, 08:38 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 2 2011, 05:20 PM)

Yes, trolling.

Rush doesn't need your money, I'll go buy two copies of their next album to make up for it.

And I'll buy three...just to give them that extra $15 or so. Gotsta make sure Neil has enough gas in his motorcycle to make it to the next show. sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 3 2011, 12:12 AM)
Everybody is bound to see something that won't be in agreement with everybody else. Sorry, but I feel that Rush has already peaked and they're just not as creative.

I pretty much agree with this. Yes, they aren't as creative, but they are still creative.

Personally, I think Snakes & Arrows is half a great album and I have a hard time listening to it all the way through, but some songs still challenge me, entertain me and surprise me like many Rush songs from their creative peak. Do I think "Far Cry" is as good as "Subdivisions" or "Freewill"? Nope. But it's still damn fine.

QUOTE (oldphilly @ Apr 2 2011, 09:00 PM)

yeah I'm a lunatic.I'm the great commander-ruler of the world.Also,I can fly too. wacko.gif eh.gif drool1.gif

I just prefer my TRF cleansed of senseless people is all.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Apr 2 2011, 11:28 PM)
QUOTE (oldphilly @ Apr 2 2011, 09:00 PM)

I just prefer my TRF cleansed of senseless people is all.

Ok then. I'm gone.

btw do you live in Candyland?

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 2 2011, 08:26 PM)
Funny, I've never seen a band supply their fan base with more choices than Rush has in the past decade or so. They're busting their asses. Thank you.

Are you serious? In the last 10 years (or the last almost 15 years for that matter, although those first 5 are understandable), they've made 2 albums, 1 ep of covers, and a single. Those aren't many choices, unless you consider live albums and DVD's choices. They're busting their asses on the road raking in the cash, and that's mostly been it.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Apr 2 2011, 09:06 PM)
Avant garde and rock & roll doesn't work

It doesn't? I think it can work great!

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band

The Residents

Laurie Anderson

Zoviet France

The Hafler Trio

The Fugs

Faust

Brian Eno

etc.

All super groovy to these ears. yes.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 3 2011, 01:11 AM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Apr 2 2011, 09:06 PM)
Avant garde and rock & roll doesn't work

It doesn't? I think it can work great!

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band

The Residents

Laurie Anderson

Zoviet France

The Hafler Trio

The Fugs

Faust

Brian Eno

etc.

All super groovy to these ears. yes.gif smile.gif

This times a million. I should also point out that Kayo Dot has some instances of avant garde rock.

As for not supporting Rush financially anymore: good for you. Now watch as it in no way affects them or their paychecks. Congratulations! You're totally not worth our time! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 2 2011, 10:06 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 2 2011, 08:26 PM)
Funny, I've never seen a band supply their fan base with more choices than Rush has in the past decade or so. They're busting their asses. Thank you.

Are you serious? In the last 10 years (or the last almost 15 years for that matter, although those first 5 are understandable), they've made 2 albums, 1 ep of covers, and a single. Those aren't many choices, unless you consider live albums and DVD's choices. They're busting their asses on the road raking in the cash, and that's mostly been it.

2011 - 15 = 1996

Match check goobs! 10 = 3 studio, 15 = 4

!!!

Archived