Not supporting Rush financially anymore

GeminiRising79

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 4 2011, 11:24 AM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Apr 4 2011, 10:50 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 4 2011, 06:29 AM)

PUT OUT A F*CKING ALBUM MORE OFTEN THAN ONCE EVERY FOUR OR FIVE YEARS

I don't disagree with you but take a look at Tull, for instance. They haven't put out an album for 11 years yet have been touring almost every single year since Dot Com. sad.gif

Point being; it could be worse.

First of all, I feel like a parent when a child says, but Johnny's mother says he can go, why can't I???

Just because Jethro Tull and Aerosmith and Van Halen or whomever hasn't put out an album in forever means nothing to me in regards to Rush. Actually, I guess I wouldn't care if not for S&A, which for me showed that they've still got the potential for great music. Jethro Tull and Aerosmith haven't put out anything great for so long, that I doubt they even have the capacity to anymore, so no real loss. The fact that we know that Rush CAN still make great material, and that they've gone the last 20 years with so few albums is for me a great loss of what could have been. And even sadder, there's no indication that the trend will get any better... sad.gif

You can't just assume that, since they can put out a decent album every 5 years, they have the ability to put out a good one every year or two. It doesn't work like that. Creativity is not a light switch, especially at their age; they can't just say "okay, we're going to sit down now and crank out an instant classic in a month or two". For all we know, we aren't really missing anything.

I can tell you right now what would happen if Rush decided to make another 2112, Hemispheres, or Moving Pictures...the EXACT same thing that happened when Metallica released Death Magnetic a few years ago...

From the mid-90's, SOOOO many Metallica fans complained about how the band changed their sound - albums like Load, ReLoad, and especially St. Anger 062802puke_prv.gif . Fans complained that the band should go back to their "roots", and write more stuff that sounds like Master of Puppets, And Justice For All, ect. So they DO. Death Magnetic. And what happens???

FANS COMPLAINED THAT THE BAND WAS JUST "RIPPING OFF THEIR OWN SOUND FROM THE 80'S"!!! Are you F*CKING KIDDING ME?? 15 years of fans bitching, they finally get an "old-school-sounding" album, and they BITCH MORE!! banghead.gif

So thats why I say : NO. As much as albums like 2112, Hemispheres, Moving Pics, ect. are CLASSICS, I wanna hear something NEW. God, I can hear it now : Rush makes and new concept/epic like 2112 or Hemispheres...and 50% of this board being like, "All they did was rip-off/copy (insert classic Rush album here)!! I'M DONE WITH RUSH...UN-ORIGINAL PRICKS rage.gif "

Please. We all know that's what would happen.

These guys are pushing 60 years old for goodness sake! They used to do 250 shows a year and put an album (or two...see 1975) every year as well. That trend ended after Signals where there was a 2 year gap between albums, then one year for Power Windows and then 2 years between albums from then on till the 3 years between Counterparts and T4E. After that, the long gaps began and that was after Neil's tragedies. I'm convinced this was the major reason for the long gaps between records. Either Neil, or the other guys or all of them together took stock of what was really important in life and decided to put out an album when they FELT like it, rather than because of some expectation.

While I have never liked VT, I think S&A was one of their best ever albums and I'm fine with them taking long breaks between albums as long as the material they DO put out is good. Look at the Stones. Seriously...when was the last time they put out a truly great album? Its been many many many years. I'll take quality over quantity any day.

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Apr 4 2011, 10:52 PM)
I can tell you right now what would happen if Rush decided to make another 2112, Hemispheres, or Moving Pictures...the EXACT same thing that happened when Metallica released Death Magnetic a few years ago...

From the mid-90's, SOOOO many Metallica fans complained about how the band changed their sound - albums like Load, ReLoad, and especially St. Anger 062802puke_prv.gif . Fans complained that the band should go back to their "roots", and write more stuff that sounds like Master of Puppets, And Justice For All, ect. So they DO. Death Magnetic. And what happens???

FANS COMPLAINED THAT THE BAND WAS JUST "RIPPING OFF THEIR OWN SOUND FROM THE 80'S"!!! Are you F*CKING KIDDING ME?? 15 years of fans bitching, they finally get an "old-school-sounding" album, and they BITCH MORE!! banghead.gif

So thats why I say : NO. As much as albums like 2112, Hemispheres, Moving Pics, ect. are CLASSICS, I wanna hear something NEW. God, I can hear it now : Rush makes and new concept/epic like 2112 or Hemispheres...and 50% of this board being like, "All they did was rip-off/copy (insert classic Rush album here)!! I'M DONE WITH RUSH...UN-ORIGINAL PRICKS rage.gif "

Some good points there.

Wow! 73! You and Gemini need to get a room.

You actually need him around here to keep your Forum alive and thriving.

I can't believe I wasted an hour reading through this thread, yet at the end of the rainbow some good has come out of it.

Gemini is not a troll at all!

I've always been a "big fan" of his "tripe" and the guy is out of sight!

He has written another hit single on this Forum and you admins, mods and Rush Fan Fraud Fanbois keep eating it up all day and night long.

A lot of you need to turn off your Rush music, put down the Lord Of The Rings video game and go find some girls to make love to. It really will change your lives. Some of you might even get lucky and meet your wives.

No matter what anyone writes on this forum the band will be just fine.

I can't wait to buy three Japanese pressings of "Clockwork Angels."

I bet some of you $uck A$$es on here wish that the new record was called "Cockwork Angels." "Open Up And Say Ahhhh" Poison Fans!

You go "GEMINI!" Life is short! Entertain us while the stiffs sit back in their Atari chairs and enjoy your free entertainment.

Signed,

Alan Parsons Project

1022.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Apr 5 2011, 02:35 AM)
Wow! 73! You and Gemini need to get a room.

I can't believe I wasted an hour reading through this thread, yet at the end of the rainbow some good has come out of it.

He has written another hit single on this Forum and you admins, mods and Rush Fan Fraud Fanbois keep eating it up all day and night long.
A lot of you need to turn off your Rush music, put down the Lord Of The Rings video game and go find some girls to make love to. It really will change your lives. Some of you might even get lucky and meet your wives.

I bet some of you $uck A$$es on here wish that the new record was called "Cockwork Angels." "Open Up And Say Ahhhh" Poison Fans!

You go "GEMINI!" Life is short! Entertain us while the stiffs sit back in their Atari chairs and enjoy your free entertainment.

Signed,

Alan Parsons Project

1022.gif

I can usually get your humor pretty well. For some reason, this post of yours has me perplexed. Can I assume the entire thing is a joke?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 5 2011, 01:54 AM)
Wow!  73!  You and Gemini need to get a room.

A lot of you need to turn off your Rush music, put down the Lord Of The Rings video game and go find some girls to make love to.  It really will change your lives.  Some of you might even get lucky and meet your wives.

I bet some of you $uck A$$es on here wish that the new record was called "Cockwork Angels."  "Open Up And Say Ahhhh" Poison Fans!

You go "GEMINI!"  Life is short!  Entertain us while the stiffs sit back in their Atari chairs and enjoy your free entertainment.

Signed,

Alan Parsons Project 

1022.gif

I can usually get your humor pretty well. For some reason, this post of yours has me perplexed. Can I assume the entire thing is a joke?

If it is a joke it is a very bad one!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 4 2011, 11:54 PM)
Wow!  73!  You and Gemini need to get a room.

A lot of you need to turn off your Rush music, put down the Lord Of The Rings video game and go find some girls to make love to.  It really will change your lives.  Some of you might even get lucky and meet your wives.

I bet some of you $uck A$$es on here wish that the new record was called "Cockwork Angels."  "Open Up And Say Ahhhh" Poison Fans!

You go "GEMINI!"  Life is short!  Entertain us while the stiffs sit back in their Atari chairs and enjoy your free entertainment.

Signed,

Alan Parsons Project 

1022.gif

Yes Jim!! It's just a joke!! I can't believe I have finally left you perplexed after all of these years!

You have left me alone to do my own thing here and that's great. I am not a troll yet I am not a suck up either. I am a Rush Fanatic first and your forum is a good thing at the end of the day.

It's just that a lot of your followers are really uptight and need to learn the word "chillax" in their vocabulary.

Gemini is harmless and I know that you cut him some slack because you see the good in him. So what if he doesn't like the way the band is headed.

I'm glad he isn't PC on here.

We need more fans like him.

Jim, you keep bringing up on this thread how much some of us want another "Hemispheres."

I'm not sure you waste your time reading my Rush Love Shit but "Hemispheres" is my favorite album on the earth.

There is no doubt that Rush will never repeat it now in 2011 or even in 2012.

I remember raving about "S&A" on your forum years ago. Many think it's a piece of shit. I love it.

The two songs CARAVAN and BU2B are awesome songs and I have "HOPE" and I am not "FAITHLESS" about the new "Clockwork Angels" album.

This is just a Forum for humans to talk about Rush and other stuff in the world.

Thank you for creating this environment.

I'm just like Gemini. Trying to be different in a Rush World that is pretty much redundant and cliche.

It's tough to be creative, yet some of us reach for that "Everyday Glory" even if we fail.

Life goes on. Luckily for us so does RUSH!!

I can't wait to see them three more times this summer!!

I'm taking the wife and kids down to Santa Barbara for Spring Break.

Hopefully I can find Neil's house too like that other whack job on here and leave him a note in his mailbox that I am the greatest Rush fan of all time!

LOL!

Of course I won't really do that. It's just a joke.

Cheers and goodnight!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Apr 4 2011, 07:35 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 4 2011, 11:24 AM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Apr 4 2011, 10:50 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 4 2011, 06:29 AM)

PUT OUT A F*CKING ALBUM MORE OFTEN THAN ONCE EVERY FOUR OR FIVE YEARS

I don't disagree with you but take a look at Tull, for instance. They haven't put out an album for 11 years yet have been touring almost every single year since Dot Com. sad.gif

Point being; it could be worse.

First of all, I feel like a parent when a child says, but Johnny's mother says he can go, why can't I???

Just because Jethro Tull and Aerosmith and Van Halen or whomever hasn't put out an album in forever means nothing to me in regards to Rush. Actually, I guess I wouldn't care if not for S&A, which for me showed that they've still got the potential for great music. Jethro Tull and Aerosmith haven't put out anything great for so long, that I doubt they even have the capacity to anymore, so no real loss. The fact that we know that Rush CAN still make great material, and that they've gone the last 20 years with so few albums is for me a great loss of what could have been. And even sadder, there's no indication that the trend will get any better... sad.gif

You can't just assume that, since they can put out a decent album every 5 years, they have the ability to put out a good one every year or two. It doesn't work like that. Creativity is not a light switch, especially at their age; they can't just say "okay, we're going to sit down now and crank out an instant classic in a month or two". For all we know, we aren't really missing anything.

Possibly, but it sure would have been nice if they put out a few more in the last 20 years. There could have been some great stuff, but we'll never know.

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Apr 4 2011, 07:52 PM)

That's an interesting thought that things would happen that way, but you don't know that, or at least it wouldn't apply to me.

If they made another epic like Hemispheres, I would judge it on its own merits.

Honestly, I don't care if they make music that's reminiscent of the past or if it's completely modern and something they never would have recorded 5 years ago, much less 30.

I only care if it's good or not.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 5 2011, 04:21 AM)
QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Apr 4 2011, 07:52 PM)

From the mid-90's, SOOOO many Metallica fans complained about how the band changed their sound - albums like Load, ReLoad, and especially St. Anger  062802puke_prv.gif . Fans complained that the band should go back to their "roots", and write more stuff that sounds like Master of Puppets, And Justice For All, ect. So they DO. Death Magnetic. And what happens???

FANS COMPLAINED THAT THE BAND WAS JUST "RIPPING OFF THEIR OWN SOUND FROM THE 80'S"!!! Are you F*CKING KIDDING ME?? 15 years of fans bitching, they finally get an "old-school-sounding" album, and they BITCH MORE!!  banghead.gif

That's an interesting thought that things would happen that way, but you don't know that, or at least it wouldn't apply to me.

If they made another epic like Hemispheres, I would judge it on its own merits.

Honestly, I don't care if they make music that's reminiscent of the past or if it's completely modern and something they never would have recorded 5 years ago, much less 30.

I only care if it's good or not.

But you only like spacey atonal shit tongue.gif

In all fairness the guy is just voicing his opinion, that's partially what message boards are for. He doesnt like any of their recent music, or the setlist, and that's fine. No real reason to bash him for it, although I guess that's inevitable anyway.

I remember saying how much I cant stand Caravan, and still cant, people got very angry at me over that which is still a mystery to me. He doesnt have to support Rush anymore if he doesnt want to, although to me I think its a little hard to complain considering how close to the end of the road they are.

Even at this point if I dont like the music or the setlist, its worth going anyway just because it may be the last time. I dont like Vapor Trails or S&A at all, but the fact is after T4E I thought they were done anyway, so this is all just an unexpected bonus.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 5 2011, 10:15 AM)
In all fairness the guy is just voicing his opinion, that's partially what message boards are for. He doesnt like any of their recent music, or the setlist, and that's fine. No real reason to bash him for it, although I guess that's inevitable anyway.

I remember saying how much I cant stand Caravan, and still cant, people got very angry at me over that which is still a mystery to me. He doesnt have to support Rush anymore if he doesnt want to, although to me I think its a little hard to complain considering how close to the end of the road they are.

Even at this point if I dont like the music or the setlist, its worth going anyway just because it may be the last time. I dont like Vapor Trails or S&A at all, but the fact is after T4E I thought they were done anyway, so this is all just an unexpected bonus.

As people had told you back then, and as people tell Gemini now, it's not the opinion itself that gets all the negative attention, it's the negative way that opinion is stated.

Look at Gemini's opening post, and look at Spitball's post here. They're both saying basically the same thing, but can you see the difference in how they said it, and why they got different reactions?

Yes, this is a message board, and that means a person is allowed to state their opinion. But that also means others are allowed to call that person out if they feel he/she stated it in a negative way. And in Gemini's case, he knows exactly what he's doing and WANTS these reactions. So don't feel so bad for him.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 5 2011, 10:12 AM)
Yes, this is a message board, and that means a person is allowed to state their opinion. But that also means others are allowed to call that person out if they feel he/she stated it in a negative way. And in Gemini's case, he knows exactly what he's doing and WANTS these reactions. So don't feel so bad for him.

Gemini!

Come out, come out,

wherever you are...

don't let Binary Man speak for you tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 5 2011, 11:12 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 5 2011, 10:15 AM)

As people had told you back then, and as people tell Gemini now, it's not the opinion itself that gets all the negative attention, it's the negative way that opinion is stated.

Look at Gemini's opening post, and look at Spitball's post here. They're both saying basically the same thing, but can you see the difference in how they said it, and why they got different reactions?

Knowing Gemini's posting history makes a difference. Someone new to TRF might take a more benign view of his opening salvos. You pretty well know where he's headed as soon as you see his name on anything.

(Some of the more "out there" threads he's dreamed up are pretty funny. He's sort of multi-personality where Rush is concerned). cool.gif

Archived