Terrible Neil Peart lyrics?

StellarJetman

QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Mar 7 2011, 04:06 PM)
QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Mar 7 2011, 12:45 PM)
I stood at the top of the mountain...
And doggie heaven sang to me...

I only made it to here, and I don't really hang out in GenPop that much, but this guy joins two days ago, starts a thread bashing rush lyrics and no one is suspicious? No one?

shaun, is that you? laugh.gif

That's the first thing I thought of, too. Because 1) it's a bashing thread and 2) it's a NEIL bashing thread laugh.gif

Just a few comments...(oh you knew it, dintcha?)

In 2112 (indeed in any story-song) the artist has only a small amount of time in which to tell the story. In Discovery, logic aside (and this is song lyrics we are talking about, not Aristotelian teaching), the point has to be made quickly that the Protagonist has found something new to him, it makes sounds and it may change his life. Normally, no, he would not learn to play it so quickly but they've only got an album side, ok?

I feel I must address the comment that Neil misses more than he hits as far as lyrics go. I feel it's the other way around. Sometimes his lyrics are misunderstood (see the comments re; Red Barchetta) or not understood at all (a la the TSOR silliness). Unless one is familiar with everything he's read, there are bound to be things that go over your head. Heck, I admit to that. Had no idea about the thing The Fridge pointed out about The Pass. But now I do and that lyric now has a deeper meaning for me.

I've heard people complain about Presto: "WTF is all that about winter gardens and deep water?" To them I say - psychology, dammit! The point being, there may be levels to the lyrics that you just aren't getting because you don't have the touchstones to do so. No shame in that. But to tear them down because of it is just childish. It's like a toddler who doesn't understand how a toy works throwing it against the wall and destroying it.

That being said, yeah, Neil has some real groaners (hell, even he looks back at some with a wince). Many have been mentioned already (though I don't agree with them all). But come on, 17 studio albums and 30+ years of writing lyrics... anyone is bound to make some mistakes. But he also has some real winners, too. So can't they balance one another out?

Oh, and the actual sheet music for Different Strings credits Geddy for the lyrics. confused13.gif

BTW, I love Tai Shan and am "meh" about Dog years. So I don't think they suck in every way, either. nasty.gif

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Mar 7 2011, 06:55 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 7 2011, 05:21 PM)
QUOTE (rummut71 @ Mar 7 2011, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 7 2011, 04:18 PM)
" I knew he was different in his sexuality..."

Not only the worst opening line to a song of all-time, but probably Rush and Neil's most cringe-worthy line

Totally...It is way easier to rhyme something with 'cock'. hotdog.gif

so what are you saying, you prefer it with mustard on it? unsure.gif

NO UR MOM DOES!!1!!1!

hey that's original. sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 7 2011, 06:28 PM)
QUOTE (rummut71 @ Mar 7 2011, 06:55 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 7 2011, 05:21 PM)
QUOTE (rummut71 @ Mar 7 2011, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 7 2011, 04:18 PM)
" I knew he was different in his sexuality..."

Not only the worst opening line to a song of all-time, but probably Rush and Neil's most cringe-worthy line

Totally...It is way easier to rhyme something with 'cock'. hotdog.gif

so what are you saying, you prefer it with mustard on it? unsure.gif

NO UR MOM DOES!!1!!1!

hey that's original. sarcasm.gif

NO U!!!1!1!

QUOTE (evilsugar25 @ Mar 7 2011, 02:38 PM)
QUOTE (Lamelight @ Mar 7 2011, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 7 2011, 04:58 AM)
These lyrics make me cringe every time:

What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate, and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

This biggrin.gif

i am going to take the opposite stance here. these lyrics are actually pretty perfect for communicating the story he's trying to tell here.

the hero is bewildered, a little immature (as was Rush when they made 2112) and i think that as exposition, explaining what is going on in the song and with the hero, they work perfectly. its in CHARACTER.

It's in character, yes, but people are allowed to have a little chuckle. wink.gif Be forgiving.

Twilight is also written in character of a teenage girl who whines about her perfect life and perfect husband and perfect daughter because it's all so miserable to her, but.. Oh, wow, what am I doing? Comparing "2112" to S. Meyer's dirt?

Shame on me. tongue.gif

In all seriousness, though. I don't think anyone thinks "2112" is horrible (or even terrible), per se. Just voicing reactions to certain lines or groups of lines.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Mar 7 2011, 11:02 AM)
...how about a top ten list?

Top Ten Worst Neil Peart Lyrics | The Excerpts

Apollo was astonished
Dionysus thought me mad
But they heard my story further
And they wondered, and were sad

No more lame excuses
it has to be tonight
He can take the princess
if he can take the fight

This magic day when super-science
Mingles with the bright stuff of dreams

Steely-eyed outside to hide the enemy within

All of the brightest boys
To play with the biggest toys
More than they bargained for

Folks have got to make choices
And choices got to have voices
Folks are basically decent
Conventional wisdom would say

Playing for time
Don't want to wait for heaven
Looking for love
For an angel to forgive my sins

The counter-revolution
At the counter of a store
People buy the things they want
And borrow for a little more

In a dog's life
A year is really more like seven
And all too soon a canine
Will be chasing cars in doggie heaven

...and number 1.
Mama says some ugly words
Daddy pounds the wall
They can fight about their little girl later
Right now they don't care at all

and don't get me wrong - I love half of the songs I pulled lyrics from

the rational Rush fan knows that Neil 'misses' far more often than he 'hits' - when he does 'hit', though, yeah - phenomenal stuff

Oh, wow...

...Love the rhyme in 10.

Love the determination in 9.

8 is just poetic. Awesome.

7 is cool, nothing weird there for me.

6. I like the incongruity of child's play as a metaphor for something so destructive. Kinda reminds me of Wargames, in a way (I love that movie, BTW).

5. Now I'm known for my love of Second Nature, and I think its aw-shucksiness is part of the reason why. It feels so good to be reminded that someone recognizes a desire to be kind as a virtue amidst the insensitive, uncaring, NASTY nature of so many people out there, and the lyrics enhance the vibe.

4. This one never really struck me either way, but I like it...

3. Special mention for this one. Every time I hear this song, I nod yes.gif vigorously to it. I work in a bank, and see this verse happen LITERALLY every day. As the economy worsens, it becomes more and more true. This verse describes it better than I ever could.

2. This song's funny, I think intentionally. I like it for that.

1. Doesn't sound particularly Rush-y, but doesn't sound bad in general.

So I guess the bottom line is subjectivity. Some of these are the absolute best, creative way I've ever heard to describe what I'm experiencing, but to someone else they're terribly corny. For me, I'm damn glad they're there.

Oh, and I like Tai Shan and as I said, Dog Years is funny. tongue.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Mar 7 2011, 07:24 PM)
QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Mar 7 2011, 04:06 PM)
QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Mar 7 2011, 12:45 PM)
I stood at the top of the mountain...
And doggie heaven sang to me...

I only made it to here, and I don't really hang out in GenPop that much, but this guy joins two days ago, starts a thread bashing rush lyrics and no one is suspicious? No one?

shaun, is that you? laugh.gif

That's the first thing I thought of, too. Because 1) it's a bashing thread and 2) it's a NEIL bashing thread laugh.gif

Just a few comments...(oh you knew it, dintcha?)

In 2112 (indeed in any story-song) the artist has only a small amount of time in which to tell the story. In Discovery, logic aside (and this is song lyrics we are talking about, not Aristotelian teaching), the point has to be made quickly that the Protagonist has found something new to him, it makes sounds and it may change his life. Normally, no, he would not learn to play it so quickly but they've only got an album side, ok?

I feel I must address the comment that Neil misses more than he hits as far as lyrics go. I feel it's the other way around. Sometimes his lyrics are misunderstood (see the comments re; Red Barchetta) or not understood at all (a la the TSOR silliness). Unless one is familiar with everything he's read, there are bound to be things that go over your head. Heck, I admit to that. Had no idea about the thing The Fridge pointed out about The Pass. But now I do and that lyric now has a deeper meaning for me.

I've heard people complain about Presto: "WTF is all that about winter gardens and deep water?" To them I say - psychology, dammit! The point being, there may be levels to the lyrics that you just aren't getting because you don't have the touchstones to do so. No shame in that. But to tear them down because of it is just childish. It's like a toddler who doesn't understand how a toy works throwing it against the wall and destroying it.

That being said, yeah, Neil has some real groaners (hell, even he looks back at some with a wince). Many have been mentioned already (though I don't agree with them all). But come on, 17 studio albums and 30+ years of writing lyrics... anyone is bound to make some mistakes. But he also has some real winners, too. So can't they balance one another out?

Oh, and the actual sheet music for Different Strings credits Geddy for the lyrics. confused13.gif

BTW, I love Tai Shan and am "meh" about Dog years. So I don't think they suck in every way, either. nasty.gif

Couldn't agree more.

Take Hemispheres. Most probably don't know that Neil based the idea on E.M. Foresters' The Other Side of the Hedge, tweaked with mythological charachters.

Though we could argue parts of the lyrics might not have been perfect, I give him kudos for the idea and attempt. You don't get this stuff with Def Leopard laugh.gif

Also, as has been mentioned over time, many of Neil's lyrics will unfold different meanings over time on a personal level, those AHA moments.

A few quirky lines here and there is worth it in the long run. You know, if there's a bustle in yor hedgerow, don't be alarmed.

Edited by Running Rebel

Yeah, Neil cant even approach the greatness of these gems:

"Let you put your hands on me

In my skin-tight jeans

Be your teenage dream tonight"

And this:

"And she says, "Baby, it's 3 a.m., I must be lonely"

And she says, "Baby, well, I can't help

But be scared of it all sometimes

And the rain's gonna wash away what I believe in"

She's got a little bit of something

God, it's better than nothing

And in the colour of portrait world

She thinks that she's got it all"

Or this:

"Tonight we're going har-har-har-har-har-hard

Just like the world is our-our-our-our-our-ours

We're tearin' it apar-par-par-par-par-part

You know we're superstars

We are who we are "

Hmmm....makes Dog Years look like Shakespear

QUOTE (jacklifeson @ Mar 8 2011, 12:12 PM)
Yeah, Neil cant even approach the greatness of these gems:

"Let you put your hands on me
In my skin-tight jeans
Be your teenage dream tonight"

And this:

"And she says, "Baby, it's 3 a.m., I must be lonely"
And she says, "Baby, well, I can't help
But be scared of it all sometimes
And the rain's gonna wash away what I believe in"

So that's what they're singing. I never really knew, probably because I didn't care enough to find out.

She's got a little bit of something
God, it's better than nothing
And in the colour of portrait world
She thinks that she's got it all"

Or this:

"Tonight we're going har-har-har-har-har-hard
Just like the world is our-our-our-our-our-ours
We're tearin' it apar-par-par-par-par-part
You know we're superstars
We are who we are "

You have got to be kidding me. How have I missed this Shakespearean effort?

Hmmm....makes Dog Years look like Shakespear

Neil's worst efforts are still leagues better than these lame offerings. yes.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 8 2011, 11:22 AM)
Neil's worst efforts are still leagues better than these lame offerings. yes.gif

Yes I find it funny that we debate Neil's lyrics when garbage like this is the norm. Just listen to a pop hits station and its astonishing how stupid ALL the songs are.

The bottom line with neil is that when he gets it right he can be little short of devastating (the truly superb and painfully accurate Open Secrets is a prime example)

However when he gets it wrong....oh dear....buttock-clenchingly embarrassing.

Myself, I marvel at and appreciate the great stuff and laugh and cringe at the rubbish stuff...both are enjoyable in their own way.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Mar 7 2011, 09:36 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Mar 7 2011, 11:02 AM)
...how about a top ten list?

Top Ten Worst Neil Peart Lyrics | The Excerpts

Apollo was astonished
Dionysus thought me mad
But they heard my story further
And they wondered, and were sad

No more lame excuses
it has to be tonight
He can take the princess
if he can take the fight

This magic day when super-science
Mingles with the bright stuff of dreams

Steely-eyed outside to hide the enemy within

All of the brightest boys
To play with the biggest toys
More than they bargained for

Folks have got to make choices
And choices got to have voices
Folks are basically decent
Conventional wisdom would say

Playing for time
Don't want to wait for heaven
Looking for love
For an angel to forgive my sins

The counter-revolution
At the counter of a store
People buy the things they want
And borrow for a little more

In a dog's life
A year is really more like seven
And all too soon a canine
Will be chasing cars in doggie heaven

...and number 1.
Mama says some ugly words
Daddy pounds the wall
They can fight about their little girl later
Right now they don't care at all

and don't get me wrong -  I love half of the songs I pulled lyrics from

the rational Rush fan knows that Neil 'misses' far more often than he 'hits' - when he does 'hit', though, yeah - phenomenal stuff

Oh, wow...

...Love the rhyme in 10.

Love the determination in 9.

8 is just poetic. Awesome.

7 is cool, nothing weird there for me.

6. I like the incongruity of child's play as a metaphor for something so destructive. Kinda reminds me of Wargames, in a way (I love that movie, BTW).

5. Now I'm known for my love of Second Nature, and I think its aw-shucksiness is part of the reason why. It feels so good to be reminded that someone recognizes a desire to be kind as a virtue amidst the insensitive, uncaring, NASTY nature of so many people out there, and the lyrics enhance the vibe.

4. This one never really struck me either way, but I like it...

3. Special mention for this one. Every time I hear this song, I nod yes.gif vigorously to it. I work in a bank, and see this verse happen LITERALLY every day. As the economy worsens, it becomes more and more true. This verse describes it better than I ever could.

2. This song's funny, I think intentionally. I like it for that.

1. Doesn't sound particularly Rush-y, but doesn't sound bad in general.

So I guess the bottom line is subjectivity...

not at all

you're confusing 'subjectivity' with 'perspective'

if I was, say, a 12 year old boy or girl and had only a few pop music lyrical references with which to compare 'Neil's Worst', I might be impressed by his lazy, awkward constructions

if I was, say, a 40 year old musician who had spent his entire lifetime to date listening to music from every corner of the globe, playing every instrument he could get his hands on and performing publicly at every opportunity, 'Neil's Worst' are easily understood for what they are

so - there's nothing subjective there

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Mar 7 2011, 09:36 PM)
...some of these are the absolute best, creative way I've ever heard to describe what I'm experiencing, but to someone else they're terribly corny...

again, you've perfectly illustrated 'perspective'

you've openly admitted that you 'love' the way Neil has rhymed 'mad' with 'sad' - and of course, there's nothing wrong with loving that

personally, after hearing dozens (and later, hundreds) of other songs with that exact rhyme scheme in place, I realized Neil's was hardly a creative lyrical apex - in fact, it was quite common

fortunately, there exist many hundreds of other lyricists who are extremely creative and unique, even among many hundreds of their peers - it is with that 'perspective' that I'm able to judge 'Neil's Worst' - whether I like them or not (subjectivity) is another discussion

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Mar 8 2011, 08:34 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 8 2011, 02:38 PM)
Yeah in other words it is all subjective.  moon.gif

^ well...

from your perspective, maybe... eyesre4.gif

And when everyone has a different persepctive, what do we have?

That's right, I give you....subjectivity yes.gif

What do I win? smile.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Mar 8 2011, 03:08 PM)

That's right, I give you....subjectivity

"Perspective" is a noun that means "point of view". "Subjective" is an adjective that means "dependent on personal opinion". To illustrate, you could have the perspective that Rutsey is still with the band, but that wouldn't make it a subjective matter. You'd still be objectively wrong. Ghostworks's point was that bad lyrics are bad, regardless of personal standards.

Not taking sides, but it's better for you two to be on the same level regarding terminology.

Edited by StellarJetman

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Mar 8 2011, 05:24 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Mar 8 2011, 03:08 PM)

That's right, I give you....subjectivity

"Perspective" is a noun that means "point of view". "Subjective" is an adjective that means "dependent on personal opinion". To illustrate, you could have the perspective that Rutsey is still with the band, but that wouldn't make it a subjective matter. You'd still be objectively wrong. Ghostworks's point was that bad lyrics are bad, regardless of personal standards.

Not taking sides, but it's better for you two to be on the same level regarding terminology.

And Ghostworks' point is invalid, because there are no objective universal standards for judging lyrics.

• Like 1

Okay to illustrate my point I'll take what's considered one of the all-time flops "I think I'm Going Bald"

I think most cringe when they even think of the song but being an old timer that burnt out Caress of Steel quite a few times on the ol' 8 track I have alot of love for the song. Though the line, "I think I'm going bald" might be cringe worthy, there were some other great lines in the song that my lifelong Rush friend have quoted or used a million times over the years,

He came up a couple weekends ago and as we were hanging out we typically "songtalk" and work lyrics into the conversation, e.g. as I grabbbed him a Guiness and the wife some wine, he said,

Satch- "Ahh, Once we would take water

But now it must be wine."

Me nodding in agreement, "Once we loved the flowers

Now we ask the price of the land."

Satch, shaking his head dourly- "What price, peace of mind...."

Me, thoughtfully- "It's like, sometimes, I feel my life is slipping away..."

Satch with a raised eyebrow- "Yeah, but it's cool. When you're grey, at least you'll be grey you're way."

clinks glasses

Wife looking at us like we're idiots "**"

Satch, giggling - "He thinks he's going bald".