Terrible Neil Peart lyrics?

StellarJetman

Half the world likes Tai Shan, half the world like Dog Years

I like "Tai Shan", I hate "Half the World" and "Dog Years", therefore:

+1-1-1=-1

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 7 2011, 03:03 PM)

+1-1-1=-1

Stop trying to confuse things. You know this board; we'll end up breaking it down to shit like "33/57ths of the world likes one-sixth of Roll The Bones". . .

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Mar 7 2011, 08:02 AM)
Folks have got to make choices
And choices got to have voices
Folks are basically decent
Conventional wisdom would say

I've always liked HYF for it's sociological theme.. This sounds corny in SN, but the message is pretty good.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Mar 7 2011, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Mar 7 2011, 08:02 AM)
Folks have got to make choices
And choices got to have voices
Folks are basically decent
Conventional wisdom would say

I've always liked HYF for it's sociological theme.. This sounds corny in SN, but the message is pretty good.

I love HYF myself, but Second Nature almost always gets skipped because of its clumsy lyrics and the way the verse is so forced. It's unfortunate, because the song itself is a nice piece of music.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 7 2011, 11:19 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 7 2011, 03:03 PM)

+1-1-1=-1

Stop trying to confuse things. You know this board; we'll end up breaking it down to shit like "33/57ths of the world likes one-sixth of Roll The Bones". . .

Not me, I have trouble even grasping time signatures tongue.gif

Why do people rip Dog Years? It is amazing that some people cannot take something that was supposed to be pun filled and tongue in cheek and get all fricking bent out of shape over it.

Personally I find much worse lyric writing full of corn such as Panacea...ugh. Horrible. Seriously I can't hear it without thinking of some troll guy playing a mandolin while dwarfs put down each other's pants spanking each other and getting wedgies.

Dog Years = genius because it showed some real humor for one....for two it pissed some many people off that take themselves ( and Rush) way too seriously.

Edited by druid13

QUOTE (druid13 @ Mar 7 2011, 02:27 PM)
Personally I find much worse lyric writing full of corn such as Panacea...ugh. Horrible. Seriously I can't hear it without thinking of some troll guy playing a mandolin while dwarfs put down each other's pants spanking each other and getting wedgies.

Curious comment, coming from someone with a screen-name of Druid wink.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 7 2011, 04:58 AM)
These lyrics make me cringe every time:

What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate, and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

This biggrin.gif

I don't have faith in faith

I don't believe in belief

I know a lot of people like these lyrics, but to me they come off as trying to sound clever when they really are not. The idea that people have "faith in faith" or "belief in belief" is not novel or interesting; it's just a fact of some people's belief systems (not his).

The way it comes off in his writing, though, makes it sound like he thinks the notion of having "faith in faith" or "belief in belief" is self evidently false, when it is not. If you want to present an opposing viewpoint, you need more than just to state what you do not believe in. Otherwise it isn't very interesting or compelling, which usually Peart's lyrics are whether I agree with them or not.

I am fine with his anti-religion stuff in general, but this song always sounds sophmoric and self important to me.

I also do not care for Dog Years or Virtuality. I LOVE the lyrics to Cold Fire.

• Like 1

QUOTE (Lamelight @ Mar 7 2011, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 7 2011, 04:58 AM)

This biggrin.gif

i am going to take the opposite stance here. these lyrics are actually pretty perfect for communicating the story he's trying to tell here.

the hero is bewildered, a little immature (as was Rush when they made 2112) and i think that as exposition, explaining what is going on in the song and with the hero, they work perfectly. its in CHARACTER.

QUOTE (Pags @ Mar 7 2011, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Mar 7 2011, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Mar 7 2011, 12:20 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Mar 6 2011, 10:57 PM)
^ I don't particularly love/hate tai shan nor dog years, but most TRF users think these 2 suck in every way possible.

Most? That's a stretch. Certainly, not me.

I see

so one guy likes Dog and Tai and now the general consensus of the board is irrelevant

that's some sexy logic, P wink.gif

...IMO songs like Dog Years and Tai Shan don't need to be praised by those who like it, nearly as much as they need to be torn down by those who don't. So you'll certainly see more toward the latter. Most times when I see crap-talk on them, I'm not compelled to respond with support. So score another for the negative...

laugh.gif ('need to be torn down'?)

melodrama aside, one of the things you've said here is that you don't feel passionately enough about those two songs to praise them in a thread or vote for them in a public opinion poll

got it

that people who dislike these two songs are more willing to say so than those who love these two songs makes the consensus (not the raw data) valid

...it's really fun to watch you spin my words to an extreme.  One guy (just one) claims "most TRF users think these 2 suck in every way possible", and that's okay for consensus (in your view). But my one challenge to it is somehow unacceptable to you...

actually, I went a little further than that

my initial snarky poke to the point was meant to illustrate that - as neither one of you have provided empirical data to support your position to date - you cancel each other out

neither one of your opinions trump the others' 'just cuz'

...this is not a trigger for a poll.  It's not my nature to vote on many polls, which may bolster a negative result rather than a positive, and risks bolstering your simplistic avenue for reaching your conclusions.

not at all

if an anonymous poll was posted, asking:

'Tai Shan/ Dog Years - love them or hate them?'

- and the result was that more members voted against them than for them, that's valid data

in a poll environment, it is no easier to hate those two songs than to love them

again - if you're passionately displeased enough with those two songs to take time to vote against them in a poll, but not thrilled enough with them to take that same time to vote for them, that speaks volumes

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Mar 6 2011, 10:12 PM)

I once saw someone comment that they found many of the lyrics to "Red Barchetta" rather "Middle-school" is what they used to describe them. What do you guys think? Yea or nay for "Red Barchetta"?

I love the lyrics to Red Barchetta, personally ^^

cnat be as bad as van halen 3 eddie van halen and gary cherone made a song about going to the dentist and getting a tooth filled. come on? and people thought sammy 1000 lyrics with the word LOVE OR Baby.. in it was bad!!

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 7 2011, 04:18 PM)
" I knew he was different in his sexuality..."

Not only the worst opening line to a song of all-time, but probably Rush and Neil's most cringe-worthy line

Totally...It is way easier to rhyme something with 'cock'. hotdog.gif

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Mar 7 2011, 12:45 PM)
I stood at the top of the mountain...
And doggie heaven sang to me...

I only made it to here, and I don't really hang out in GenPop that much, but this guy joins two days ago, starts a thread bashing rush lyrics and no one is suspicious? No one?

shaun, is that you? laugh.gif

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Mar 7 2011, 03:12 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 7 2011, 09:05 AM)
And dear me, if you've heard tSoR and The Sound Of Silence how can you possibly not make the connection?

It's been a while since I last listened to "The Sound of Silence" (I had a quick go on YouTube just now to refresh my memory), and there's a world of difference between Geddy's screaming and Paul's and Art's harmonious delivery, to say nothing of the completely different melodies. I can see the connection now, but only because I was looking for it.

If you are familiar with the lyrics of both songs then how would you not see the connection?

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Mar 7 2011, 05:56 PM)

Not only the worst opening line to a song of all-time, but probably Rush and Neil's most cringe-worthy line

so what are you saying, you prefer it with mustard on it? unsure.gif

Edited by ReflectedLight

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Mar 6 2011, 08:15 PM)
None of those are even close to his worst. Dog Years is immediately what I think of when it comes to that.

The line from TSOR fits the song perfectly. The words written on the studio walls I always thought referred to a wall that rocks stars signed while visiting a radio station studio. Or possibly autographed pictures of them hanging up on a wall in the studio.

The line "echoes with the sounds of salesmen" makes perfect sense because it's referring to advertisements on the radio. And since it's a song about radio what's the big deal?

Well stated.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Mar 6 2011, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 6 2011, 08:58 PM)

I understand the significance and love the idea behind it, but..

Yeah. The first time I heard "Discovery" I was laughing my butt off.

I don't think it's terrible, it's just.. a little oddly worded, perhaps?

If I ever listen to 2112 and my dad's in the room during Presentation, he starts making little mocking, whiny-sounding comments like, "Don't yelll at meee!!" The back-and-forth between the Priests and the Protagonist is interesting, but kind of amusing.

I once saw someone comment that they found many of the lyrics to "Red Barchetta" rather "Middle-school" is what they used to describe them. What do you guys think? Yea or nay for "Red Barchetta"?

Red Barchetta is one my favorite Rush songs and I believe the lyrics are perfect. This is part of the brilliance of Neal. He wrote this song from the perspective of a young boy driving through the countryside and racing "air cars." I think the lyrics fit perfectly.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 7 2011, 05:21 PM)
QUOTE (rummut71 @ Mar 7 2011, 05:56 PM)

so what are you saying, you prefer it with mustard on it? unsure.gif

NO UR MOM DOES!!1!!1!