Terrible Neil Peart lyrics?

StellarJetman

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Mar 9 2011, 11:16 PM)
Just remembered how annoying it is to hear the French in "Circumstances". Such transparent filler to balance out the meter.

I said pardon? Where the hell do you come from. That is just bitchy troll behavior on your part. Get a life. Pffft. ... and No Quarter.

QUOTE (Tinwoodsman @ Mar 10 2011, 02:55 PM)
QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Mar 9 2011, 11:16 PM)
Just remembered how annoying it is to hear the French in "Circumstances".  Such transparent filler to balance out the meter.

I said pardon? Where the hell do you come from. That is just bitchy troll behavior on your part. Get a life. Pffft. ... and No Quarter.

It's all good. Some could say that reading his English is annoying transparent filler

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 10 2011, 01:58 AM)
QUOTE (psionic11 @ Mar 10 2011, 03:44 PM)
Admit it, greatness often verges on the insane or abnormal.

I dare anyone to come up with one Rush song that doesn't have at least some element of cheesiness in it.

La Villa Strangiato

Here Again

Working Man

Anthem

Fly By Night

Bastille Day

Lakeside Park

Something For Nothing

A Farewell To Kings

Xanadu

Cygnus X-1 Both Books (well I guess you could say there is, but the message is so strong it could be put aside )

Circumstances

LVS

The Spirit Of Radio

Freewill

Jacob's Ladder

Entre Nous

Different Strings

Natural Science

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

The Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

The Weapon

Losing It

Afterimage

The Enemy Within (Besides the p-p-p-pounding)

Between The Wheels

Marathon

Mystic Rhythms

(Sorry Hold Your Fire, nothing for you, except maybe TSS, PM, and Mission, but even then...)

The Pass

Available Light

Dreamline

Bravado

Ghost Of A Chance

Animate

Stick It Out

Cut To The Chase

Leave That Thing Alone

Test For Echo

Driven

Time And Motion

Resist

Limbo

Ceiling Unlimited

Ghost Rider

Peaceable Kingdom

Vapor Trail

Secret Touch

Earthshine

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze (maybe the dururus)

Far Cry

Armor And Sword

Workin' Them Angels

Spindrift

TMMB

The Way The Wind Blows

Hope

Faithless

Malignant Narcissism

BU2B

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Mar 10 2011, 12:16 AM)
Just remembered how annoying it is to hear the French in "Circumstances".  Such transparent filler to balance out the meter.

Actually, that is a quote from a french writer named Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr who lived in France during the 19th century. Maybe that will shed some light on it.

Edited by snowdogged

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 9 2011, 11:35 PM)
I simply don't understand this criticism. Really? Transparent filler?

Yeah. It's literally, "The more that things change, the more they stay the same," inserted into the song before... "The more that things change, the more they stay the same." What? The only benefit that this has is that it lengthens that part of the song and fills out the meter.

QUOTE (Tinwoodsman @ Mar 9 2011, 11:55 PM)

I'm a "bitchy troll" who needs to "get a life" because I don't like one line in one song?

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 10 2011, 09:59 AM)
Actually, that is a quote from a french writer named Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr who lived in France during the 19th century. Maybe that will shed some light on it.

Doesn't change the fact that it's just the French translation of a phrase said before the same phrase in English in order to make the line longer.

Edited by StellarJetman

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Mar 10 2011, 12:25 PM)

Doesn't change the fact that it's just "the more things change, the more they stay the same" in French inserted into the same phrase in English in order to make it longer.

Wow, I give up!!! banghead.gif

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 10 2011, 12:29 PM)

Doesn't change the fact that it's just "the more things change, the more they stay the same" in French inserted into the same phrase in English in order to make it longer.

yeah, and its really stupid when they sing about trees and stuff...

trees cant talk

I started on the first page, but too much trink38.gif stopped me from reading too far. I don't like I Think I'm Going Bald and...

oh damn, Did Geddy write that? wub.gif

Edited by drbirdsong

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Mar 11 2011, 11:41 PM)
I started on the first page, but too much trink38.gif stopped me from reading too far. I don't like I Think I'm Going Bald and...

oh damn, Did Geddy write that? wub.gif

Nope. Just checked. Neil definitely wrote those lyrics.

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Mar 11 2011, 06:06 PM)
QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 10 2011, 12:29 PM)

yeah, and its really stupid when they sing about trees and stuff...

trees cant talk

haha

Like a pair of vagabonds who wave between two passing trains

Or the glimpse of a woman's smile through a window in the rain

I can smell her perfume,

I can taste her lips

I can feel the voltage from her fingertips

Net boy, net girl

Send your heartbeat round the world

Let your fingers walk and talk

And set you free

come on just imagine for a moment...

"Panecea...a passion pure"

with the dwarves ( think 'Stonehenge' here) " Tee- Hee...wedgies, noogies...pinching each other"....

• Like 1

I really never had a problem with Going Bald, for the same reason I don't mind the lyrics for Red Lenses (even though I hate that song), it's just kind of a playful break and a very serious band.

Only ones I have an issue with are ones that just SOUND stupid, like little effort went into them, like a lot of the counterparts lyrics, Dog Years, stuff like that, or ones that are way too descriptive, like Countdown. Rivendell also makes me cringe because that really sounds like a very young band way too into all that fantasy stuff. It's just not thought provoking at all, which is what Neil is so good at. It's just so corny, even knowing that it wasnt that unusual for prog bands to write about fantasy themes, but something so clearly about lord of the rings just does not work for me.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Mar 17 2011, 09:16 AM)
I really never had a problem with Going Bald, for the same reason I don't mind the lyrics for Red Lenses (even though I hate that song), it's just kind of a playful break and a very serious band.

Only ones I have an issue with are ones that just SOUND stupid, like little effort went into them, like a lot of the counterparts lyrics, Dog Years, stuff like that, or ones that are way too descriptive, like Countdown. Rivendell also makes me cringe because that really sounds like a very young band way too into all that fantasy stuff. It's just not thought provoking at all, which is what Neil is so good at. It's just so corny, even knowing that it wasnt that unusual for prog bands to write about fantasy themes, but something so clearly about lord of the rings just does not work for me.

I still think Dog years is clever tongue in cheek word play, and Countdown gives me goosebumps. But I have always been a space geek, like them. To see a shuttle launch must be beyond thrilling

QUOTE (trenken @ Mar 17 2011, 10:16 AM)

I'm not into the fantasy stuff either - the appeal for me, regarding that era of Rush, is almost totally because of the music. There's the occasional clever play on words, but yeah no. I'm not knocking the sci-fi/fantasy fans or their genre, or even Neil's short obsession with it, but it's just never interested me.

That doesn't mean they are "terrible" lyrics - it's just the subject matter I find dull. Kinda like Bruce Springsteen's car-themed stuff - not everyone cares.

Edited by Mara

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 17 2011, 09:22 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Mar 17 2011, 10:16 AM)

I'm not into the fantasy stuff either - the appeal for me, regarding that era of Rush, is almost totally because of the music. There's the occasional clever play on words, but yeah no. I'm not knocking the sci-fi/fantasy fans or their genre, or even Neil's short obsession with it, but it's just never interested me.

I love it biggrin.gif

Thipough i do admit the way they were written ain't perfect.

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Mar 17 2011, 09:21 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Mar 17 2011, 09:16 AM)

I still think Dog years is clever tongue in cheek word play, and Countdown gives me goosebumps. But I have always been a space geek, like them. To see a shuttle launch must be beyond thrilling

Im a total space geek too, just not a big fan of lyrics that are written so descriptively like that. I would have rather it been more abstract, at least a little more. It just ends up sounding a little silly to me, almost like Geddy isnt really singing song lyrics, but more of just a blog post neil wrote about seeing a launch.