Neil's new book

Rod in Toronto

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll support Neil and buy the book. I've always (since I was a child) wanted to write my memoirs and have them published so I can elate to the "published writer" aspect of Neil.

I'll read the book first and then maybe I'll have thoughts to publish here :B

I will be pre-ordering! yes.gif

His writing style isn't for everyone, but I've enjoyed everything he's published thus far. From the description, it sounds like there will be something for those fans who read his blog and then moan, "but why isn't he writing about RUSH!?!?!?"

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 26 2011, 07:28 PM)
I will buy but I was hoping he would finally publish some fiction.

I'm hoping he will tackle a full-length novel as well. (I admit I haven't read the new short work posted on his website yet).

Fiction's a challenge, though. It's a completely different set of skills to invent and develop characters and create a story around them, as opposed to recounting an autobiographical work. Both have unique difficulties, but when you are telling your own story you have the setting, the people, and an interpretation there already.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 26 2011, 04:27 PM)
I will be pre-ordering!  yes.gif

His writing style isn't for everyone, but I've enjoyed everything he's published thus far.  From the description, it sounds like there will be something for those fans who read his blog and then moan, "but why isn't he writing about RUSH!?!?!?"

So will I - this gives me something to look forward to between now and my next Rush show biggrin.gif bncegrn.gif

Thanks for the heads up Rodrigo!

Hurrah! And coming out the month of graduation!

I know what to ask for now.

I don't know a thing about motorcycling or traveling, really, but I'm absolutely mesmerized by his writing. Absolutely insane.

Looking forward to it, in any case. I was wondering the other day when he'd release another book!

I'm one of those who faithfully buys and reads Neil's books (got 'em all!) but is bored by his usual subject matter. Talk of plants, birds, rock formations, and the histories of small towns is an insomnia cure for me. But when he's talking about his life, the band, and music, he's got me.

Sounds like this will be one of his better books.

hater4s- Dont say its shit before its even released,If its like G.rider then meh but if it anything like roadshow then yah!!.Im starting to read "chemistry" by Jon collins v soon hope to finish it by start of may so I can babble on from what iv learnt from it to other fans where i meet them

if i get any time Ill get this newest book,Honestly I dont know where they have got the time this last 3 years to do all that they have done

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 26 2011, 07:18 PM)
I'm one of those who faithfully buys and reads Neil's books (got 'em all!) but is bored by his usual subject matter. Talk of plants, birds, rock formations, and the histories of small towns is an insomnia cure for me. But when he's talking about his life, the band, and music, he's got me.

Im ok until he really goes off on the f***ing cactus, birds, trees and rocks, I speed up through those passages.

I am fascinated his his commentary on life, himself and the band, sure, but things in general. Good stuff.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 26 2011, 06:39 PM)

I'm hoping he will tackle a full-length novel as well. (I admit I haven't read the new short work posted on his website yet).

Fiction's a challenge, though. It's a completely different set of skills to invent and develop characters and create a story around them, as opposed to recounting an autobiographical work. Both have unique difficulties, but when you are telling your own story you have the setting, the people, and an interpretation there already.

are you a writer, Mara?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 26 2011, 07:18 PM)

I love reading someone's impressions of "plants, birds, rock formations, and the histories of small towns" as much as the other stuff you mention.

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Jan 26 2011, 08:52 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 26 2011, 06:39 PM)

are you a writer, Mara?

Mainly for my own entertainment, but I enjoy it. I have a rather active imagination and started actually writing some of it down when I was bored at work during a slow stretch. What flows so easily through the gray matter does not always work itself out on paper as easily!

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jan 26 2011, 07:33 PM)
Over/under on when this gets moved:    48 posts tongue.gif

Why should it? Nobody has mentioned religion yet....

.... ooops. wink.gif

Wow, thank you for posting, I will buy it, i enjoy his work. My favorite was Traveling Music, his books always have amazing insight into the bands History.

4 years of Touring, I wonder if this Covers the Snakes and Arrows Tour and The Time Machine Tour

Did this come as a surprise to you as it did for me? I didn't even know he was writing another book. I read all his other ones, and the only bummer is the bird talk...rock formations and history of small towns are ok: I've got a degree on soil mechanics and lived in 3 different small towns, so I can relate to a lot of his comments.

Someone mentioned on the thread about Rush never touring Australia...honestly, I don't think it's ever going to happen, as 99% of the people I spoke with when I lived there didn't have a clue who Rush were...plus it's quite expensive to bring their full production to the other side of the world. It's just not worth going there if they don't extend the whole tour thrugh Asia. So chances are they'll wrap u their career without ever touring Oceania.

Wow! Thanks for posting about this, I didn't even realise there was a new book in the pipeline myself.

I have to say, personally, I enjoy reading about the landscapes, birds etc, it paints such a vivid picture and really makes me wish I could get out there and do some travelling myself.

Nice one, looking forward to it!

Archived