Neil's new book

Rod in Toronto

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jan 30 2011, 03:19 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 30 2011, 12:24 PM)
Neil's writing is more like rambling. It's not focused or streamlined.

That's what I've noticed. It's literally the only thing that bugs me about his writing.

But -- it's a travelogue, more or less. They can get to be that way. He goes off on these tangents all the time, but his transitions are fairly clear and his writing style's intriguing enough that I keep reading.

I know what you're saying. In fact, here is a tidbit from the new book I extracted from a certain forum:

his new book "Far and Away", a curiosa of linear, random inconsequentia from Neil's daily life on and off the road. Here's an excerpt:

"...cruising along a barren stretch of desert highway while listening to one of Richard's lectures (through my two biaural headphones, right earbud "Lerxst", and left, "Dirk") at a point in the talk where he happens to be deriding (ha ha, no pun) a moron in the audience -But wait- something in my visual periphery breaks my trancelike preoccupation with "The Wizard". Holy cow!! An Argentinian tri-colored box terrapin chomping on a Cereus stromolipherus (a cactus, for you dummies). What is he doing in the lowlands of central New Mexico? Wait a minute... I just said the word "Holy". Jeez, how in God's name could I think this?? Oh, my God...argh, what am I saying! Forgive me, oh Wizard! Wait..what's that organ pipe cactus doing in the forward bearing of my bike? Yaaaaaaaarrrrgh!!!"

(for infotainment purposes only)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jan 30 2011, 10:03 AM)
Sounds like it will be more-or-less the same book he's already written a few times.

sorry to sound cynical to some of you, but I concur. I have Ghost Rider, read most of it, and checked out Roadshow from the library when it came out, and found both of them to be interesting at times but for the most part pretty boring and repetitive. I shan't be getting the new one because it's going to be pretty much the same exact thing as the previous books. schla03.gif

I am a Neil Peart defender and I think he is unjustly criticized by some members of this forum. BUT his writing does come across as unfocused and rambling. His books definitely could benefit from some serious editing. I enjoy some of his writing, but not enough to recommend any one book.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 30 2011, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jan 30 2011, 03:19 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 30 2011, 12:24 PM)
Neil's writing is more like rambling. It's not focused or streamlined.

That's what I've noticed. It's literally the only thing that bugs me about his writing.

But -- it's a travelogue, more or less. They can get to be that way. He goes off on these tangents all the time, but his transitions are fairly clear and his writing style's intriguing enough that I keep reading.

I know what you're saying. In fact, here is a tidbit from the new book I extracted from a certain forum:

his new book "Far and Away", a curiosa of linear, random inconsequentia from Neil's daily life on and off the road. Here's an excerpt:

"...cruising along a barren stretch of desert highway while listening to one of Richard's lectures (through my two biaural headphones, right earbud "Lerxst", and left, "Dirk") at a point in the talk where he happens to be deriding (ha ha, no pun) a moron in the audience -But wait- something in my visual periphery breaks my trancelike preoccupation with "The Wizard". Holy cow!! An Argentinian tri-colored box terrapin chomping on a Cereus stromolipherus (a cactus, for you dummies). What is he doing in the lowlands of central New Mexico? Wait a minute... I just said the word "Holy". Jeez, how in God's name could I think this?? Oh, my God...argh, what am I saying! Forgive me, oh Wizard! Wait..what's that organ pipe cactus doing in the forward bearing of my bike? Yaaaaaaaarrrrgh!!!"

(for infotainment purposes only)

don't you folks appreciate the 'stream of consciousness' or 'narrative mode' writing style?

imvho, it suits Neil's personality. it is simply just his personality shining through in his self-expression.

I enjoy writers who add plenty of detail and funny self-depricating asides in their work...Neil's description of how a particular album came to be and what kind of drums he's using in the tour books are always fun to read.

It's just that when he writes like that for for hundreds of pages it gets really dull and repetitive.

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 30 2011, 02:55 PM)
Question: I haven't got any of Neil's books but I'd like to change that, do you think this one would make sense to read first? Or should I start at the beginning?

I've just read 'Roadshow' and am just beginning 'Ghost Rider'. I'm kinda thinking maybe I shoulda read 'Traveling Music' first, but it probably doesn't much matter where you start. My suggestion, at this point, is just read at least one of Neil books to experience his prose writing style smile.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 30 2011, 05:53 PM)
I am a Neil Peart defender and I think he is unjustly criticized by some members of this forum. BUT his writing does come across as unfocused and rambling. His books definitely could benefit from some serious editing. I enjoy some of his writing, but not enough to recommend any one book.

I agree completely. I think that his books would actually be quite entertaining and reasonably insightful if he had a good editor, one who could preserve his style while improving the pace and reducing the repetition.

Some people think they are so clever... sarcasm.gif

Neil's writing style is not exactly stream-of-consciousness though he does tend to go off on tangents (which I enjoy). It is HIS style. That is to say, it's how he writes - he is not trying to emulate someone else. I find it to be very "present" and refreshing.

As to all his readers being Rush fans... um, no. Speaking from just my own experience, half-a-dozen people who I have recommended his books to have loved them. And NONE of them are Rush fans. So extrapolate the percentages from there...

Slappa da Bass, I began with Ghost Rider (you know why) and then read Roadshow and Traveling Music. The Masked Rider is on top of my TBR list. That's worked out for me but there is merit to beginning with Traveling Music as it is more of an autobiography.

And can we not make this yet another Neil bashing thread? Honestly, it sounds like some people are so desperate to denigrate him that they will drag it anywhere. ph34r.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 30 2011, 09:26 PM)
Some people think they are so clever... sarcasm.gif

Neil's writing style is not exactly stream-of-consciousness though he does tend to go off on tangents (which I enjoy). It is HIS style. That is to say, it's how he writes - he is not trying to emulate someone else. I find it to be very "present" and refreshing.

unsure.gif geez, sorry, I wasn't attempting to be clever. Just was an off-hand comment to allude to Neil's informal writing style which, btw, I enjoy, too. 'k? unsure.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 30 2011, 10:26 PM)
And can we not make this yet another Neil bashing thread? Honestly, it sounds like some people are so desperate to denigrate him that they will drag it anywhere. ph34r.gif

Calm down! I don't see any personal attacks on Neil in this thread, only criticism of his writing. Unless I missed something, I don't think anyone in this thread has even said anything horribly rude about his writing, much less about him personally! Negative, yes, but not bashing.

"Neil Peart is a blankety-blank blanking blank and you shouldn't buy his books because he is reprehensible" would be bashing. "Neil's books are/writing style is boring/repetitive/stream-of-consciousness/rambling/unfocussed/etc" might not be complimentary to his talents as an author, but is far from a personal denigration.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 30 2011, 08:26 PM)
... Neil's writing style is not exactly stream-of-consciousness though he does tend to go off on tangents (which I enjoy). It is HIS style. That is to say, it's how he writes - he is not trying to emulate someone else. I find it to be very "present" and refreshing. ...

It's true that it is very much his style. I've never read anything quite like it. When he does take the reader back to another time and place or makes a side comment on a church sign or something he observes, it's just a deeper look into the mind of the writer. Almost ironically, he's one of the most personal writers I've ever had the pleasure of reading works by.

So maybe if he did get a different editor the flow of the book would be different.. though not necessarily better. We probably wouldn't get those glimpses into his thoughts and philosophies without some of those digressions.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jan 30 2011, 10:49 PM)
... Neil's writing style is not exactly stream-of-consciousness though he does tend to go off on tangents (which I enjoy). It is HIS style. That is to say, it's how he writes - he is not trying to emulate someone else. I find it to be very "present" and refreshing. ...

It's true that it is very much his style. I've never read anything quite like it. When he does take the reader back to another time and place or makes a side comment on a church sign or something he observes, it's just a deeper look into the mind of the writer. Almost ironically, he's one of the most personal writers I've ever had the pleasure of reading works by.

So maybe if he did get a different editor the flow of the book would be different.. though not necessarily better. We probably wouldn't get those glimpses into his thoughts and philosophies without some of those digressions.

Ah, but you see, a GOOD editor would take out the repetitions and digressions that don't illuminate the mind of the writer, not the ones that do!

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jan 30 2011, 08:57 PM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jan 30 2011, 10:49 PM)

Ah, but you see, a GOOD editor would take out the repetitions and digressions that don't illuminate the mind of the writer, not the ones that do!

Valid point.

But I'm starting to wonder where the good editors are when I see things like Twilight on the shelves...

(Oops! Got brought up in yet another thread. My bad.)

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Jan 30 2011, 07:32 PM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 30 2011, 09:26 PM)
Some people think they are so clever...  sarcasm.gif

unsure.gif geez, sorry, I wasn't attempting to be clever. Just was an off-hand comment to allude to Neil's informal writing style which, btw, I enjoy, too. 'k? unsure.gif

Sorry, I wasn't thinking of you. cool.gif

I just get tired of every thread that deals with anything Neil does devolving into a bashfest of the man. There have been hints of it already, especially tinged with a religious overtones.

If you don't like his writing (this is a general "you") then just move along as there is nothing here for you....

You know who you are - please knock it off.

QUOTE (hannuFIN @ Jan 28 2011, 04:25 PM)
I love all the scenary whatever and whenever Neil has us to offer. Have all his books, all read twice (except the bicycling torture wink.gif. And I like the birds (as a hobby when by my like, the biggest Lake in Finland) too, they were here before us and bring the joy of life (also they don't have to go to work as we do..). Neil, what a decent citizen !
And sometimes have been thinking what that Prague concert had really been on R30 tour..compared to Germany.

>hannuFIN, why did you find The Masker Rider so torturous? I think it's >one of his best books, if not the most moving one (you can't take that >from Ghost Rider). I don't mind Neil telling all about his North American >travels, but much prefer it when he's in a different set up - Africa, >Mexico, Europe etc. I loved the entry on his website about the South >American tour!!!!

>I've said it before on this forum, but will say it again: Neil MUST do a trip >in New Zealand and write about it, he'd love the place and be so inspired >to write!!!

Some realism and sarcasm in my saying but got bored of that one particular woman who was so selfish and whining..and the heat / dust, corruption, evyrything just standing still in that continent for centuries. Good observations I like of other travellers, we are different, yes. About Africa, dreaming/lazy/corrupted men wishing(?) of better future(=fast money) and must get everything immediately without really thinking, educating and starting to act and work and leaving behind religion and other stone-age manly thinking. All other continents I like so much to read and learn about (all read twice). Africa just makes me frustared and sad because of the facts. Btw Neil should have travelled Soviet Union decades ago (and now also, full of piratism, like china, so don't bother), that should have brought up some "funny" stories as well..which we Europeans already know who live in the "suburbs" of that land full of milk and honey for the working men and women..

QUOTE (hannuFIN @ Feb 4 2011, 05:21 AM)
QUOTE (hannuFIN @ Jan 28 2011, 04:25 PM)
I love all the scenary whatever and whenever Neil has us to offer. Have all his books, all read twice (except the bicycling torture wink.gif. And I like the birds (as a hobby when by my like, the biggest Lake in Finland) too, they were here before us and bring the joy of life (also they don't have to go to work as we do..). Neil, what a decent citizen !
And sometimes have been thinking what that Prague concert had really been on R30 tour..compared to Germany.

>hannuFIN, why did you find The Masker Rider so torturous? I think it's >one of his best books, if not the most moving one (you can't take that >from Ghost Rider). I don't mind Neil telling all about his North American >travels, but much prefer it when he's in a different set up - Africa, >Mexico, Europe etc. I loved the entry on his website about the South >American tour!!!!

>I've said it before on this forum, but will say it again: Neil MUST do a trip >in New Zealand and write about it, he'd love the place and be so inspired >to write!!!

Some realism and sarcasm in my saying but got bored of that one particular woman who was so selfish and whining..and the heat / dust, corruption, evyrything just standing still in that continent for centuries. Good observations I like of other travellers, we are different, yes. About Africa, dreaming/lazy/corrupted men wishing(?) of better future(=fast money) and must get everything immediately without really thinking, educating and starting to act and work and leaving behind religion and other stone-age manly thinking. All other continents I like so much to read and learn about (all read twice). Africa just makes me frustared and sad because of the facts. Btw Neil should have travelled Soviet Union decades ago (and now also, full of piratism, like china, so don't bother), that should have brought up some "funny" stories as well..which we Europeans already know who live in the "suburbs" of that land full of milk and honey for the working men and women..

It be great to see Neil do a tour of this side of the world (Australia and NZ). He hinted at the desire to travel to Australia (amongst other continents) in Ghost Rider.

For a person who craves adventure, isolation and anonymousness its one sure oversight. It'd make for one kickass read though!

Archived