The Official Iron Maiden Thread

Nate2112

As I've gotten older (and gotten a subscription to XM and started listening to the Boneyard), I've found an appreciation for some of the classic metal bands. One such band is Iron Maiden. My favorite Maiden song is Hallowed Be Thy Name, but my four year old son's favorite song of all time right now is Run To the Hills. The little guy sings it at the top of his lungs when ever I play that song in the car. Grandma told me that last week, my son was teaching her how to sing it. laugh.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 19 2011, 09:37 AM)
As I've gotten older (and gotten a subscription to XM and started listening to the Boneyard), I've found an appreciation for some of the classic metal bands. One such band is Iron Maiden. My favorite Maiden song is Hallowed Be Thy Name, but my four year old son's favorite song of all time right now is Run To the Hills. The little guy sings it at the top of his lungs when ever I play that song in the car. Grandma told me that last week, my son was teaching her how to sing it. laugh.gif

AWESOME!!!! 1022.gif 1022.gif

RTTH is the song that indroduces Maiden to most people. It's like their Tom Sawyer. I know the band doesn't like the song and is bored to death with it live. There's been a few tours where they haven't played it and when they do play it, they do it at double time so they can get it over with.

Plus, Bruce just kind of talks through the verses live and puts very little effort into singing it. I'm guessing your kid puts more life into the song than Bruce does now laugh.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 20 2011, 03:37 AM)
my four year old son's favorite song of all time right now is Run To the Hills. The little guy sings it at the top of his lungs when ever I play that song in the car. Grandma told me that last week, my son was teaching her how to sing it. laugh.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jan 16 2011, 08:16 PM)
I listened to their fist two albums again for the first time in awhile and still can't get into Di'Anno's voice. I think both albums have good songs but his voice just brings them down for me. I prefer listening to the live versions of the songs off the first two with Bruce on vocals.

Maybe it's just me unsure.gif

No, it's not just you! trink39.gif

Maiden without Dickinson just doesn't sound like Maiden to me.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 19 2011, 10:05 PM)
I listened to their fist two albums again for the first time in awhile and still can't get into Di'Anno's voice. I think both albums have good songs but his voice just brings them down for me. I prefer listening to the live versions of the songs off the first two with Bruce on vocals.

I love the Di'Anno stuff. I'm totally glad they did the first two albums with him, although I like Bruce better. Paul had a more masculine, punk-like attitude that really helped fuel the youthfull energy and aggression of those first two albums. He was a 'Killer' singer.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Jan 20 2011, 02:06 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 19 2011, 10:05 PM)

I love the Di'Anno stuff. I'm totally glad they did the first two albums with him, although I like Bruce better. Paul had a more masculine, punk-like attitude that really helped fuel the youthfull energy and aggression of those first two albums. He was a 'Killer' singer.

goodpost.gif

Though, after reacquainting myself with the first two albums lately, I think they've become my favorites.

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jan 25 2011, 07:08 PM)
maiden without bruce is Iced Earth without matt barlow

Seriously? Listen to Night Of The Stormrider it's one of IE's best albums. It's a better overall album than TDS, SWTWC and HS. They have recorded some great stuff with Barlow though, there's no denying that. Also, Ripper did a damn good job on TGB and FA and both albums have some very good material on it. Listen to the Gettysburg trilogy and try to tell me that isn't an awesome piece of song writting and a brilliant vocal performance from Ripper Owens.

I don't believe Maiden has ever toured with Iced Earth, have they? IE would be a great opener for them.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 19 2011, 03:37 PM)
Run to the Hills sounded best on the Beast Over America tour.

Having had the privilege of seeing that tour live (opening for priest at MSG 1982), I can corroborate your assertion. trink39.gif

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jan 28 2011, 01:40 PM)

Having had the privilege of seeing that tour live (opening for priest at MSG 1982), I can corroborate your assertion. trink39.gif

That's because RTTH was still new and they weren't bored with it yet laugh.gif

Edited by J2112YYZ

******SETLIST SPOILER ALERT******

Iron Maiden started their official tour in support of TFF a few weeks ago. Here's the setlist:

Satellite 15... The Final Frontier

El Dorado

2 Minutes to Midnight

The Talisman

Coming Home

Dance of Death

The Trooper

The Wicker Man

Blood Brothers

When the Wild Wind Blows

The Evil That Men Do

Fear of the Dark

Iron Maiden

Encore:

The Number of the Beast

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Running Free

I like this set a lot better than the one they did last summer. It has a way better balance between the new and old stuff. Which I think makes it more enjoyable for the fans. I'm a little disappointed that Mother Of Mercy and Ise Of Avalon didn't make it in the set but doing The Talisman makes up for it.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I would have loved to have seen that tour. You are a lucky man.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Feb 25 2011, 07:39 AM)

It was something to behold for sure, a band right at the point of breaking it huge. One tour I didnt see unfortunately was 7th Son. Really hoping the rumors that the next throwback tour is Maiden England are true.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Feb 26 2011, 07:14 AM)

It was something to behold for sure, a band right at the point of breaking it huge. One tour I didnt see unfortunately was 7th Son. Really hoping the rumors that the next throwback tour is Maiden England are true.

If I could spin the ol' Tardis back in time to the Killers tour in the UK that would do me just fine yes.gif 1022.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Feb 25 2011, 01:14 PM)

Yeah, and hopefully they don't play f*ckin' Fear of the Dark! That song had absolutely no place on the SBIT tour! 062802puke_prv.gif

I will agree. Unfortunately, the only time I got to see them was on the World Slavery Tour (which was incredible). They came to my hometown on the SIT tour, but canceled. Since then, they have not come within 5 hours of me. I will travel for the next throwback tour though.

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Dec 27 2010, 06:23 PM)
I think there is no thread like this

What is your favorite song.

mine is Seventh son of a Seventh son

IRON MAIDEN RULES!!

The best group ever (for me)!!

Favorite song: Rime of the Ancient Mariner

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jan 29 2011, 03:40 PM)

That's because RTTH was still new and they weren't bored with it yet laugh.gif

Ha right! and I wasnt bored with it yet either...

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Feb 25 2011, 04:35 PM)

Yeah, and hopefully they don't play f*ckin' Fear of the Dark! That song had absolutely no place on the SBIT tour! 062802puke_prv.gif

I can't for the life of me understand the appeal of Fear of the Dark and why its now a staple of their setlists. Yeah, I know the whole annoying sing along at the beginning, but IMO its not a very good song at all, certainly not good enough to take the place of songs like INFINITE DREAMS!

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Feb 26 2011, 05:51 PM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Feb 25 2011, 04:35 PM)

I can't for the life of me understand the appeal of Fear of the Dark and why its now a staple of their setlists. Yeah, I know the whole annoying sing along at the beginning, but IMO its not a very good song at all, certainly not good enough to take the place of songs like INFINITE DREAMS!

Couldn't agree with you more. I used to like the song when it first came out (pretty much the only good song from a shitty album), but retire it already! So many better songs that could be staples in the setlist - Flight of Icarus? I'm with you on Infinite Dreams. trink39.gif