Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater

fledgehog

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 9 2010, 04:13 AM)
QUOTE (KenJennings @ Sep 8 2010, 11:36 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 9 2010, 01:14 AM)
Some of these replies are mindblowing to me. The guy gave you 25 years of constant recording and touring, and then he decides he wants to move on and people talk about how selfish he is. Unbelievable.

To me, this reflects a lot more poorly on the rest of the members of the band than it does on him. I'm not the biggest DT expert in the world but from what I gather he's the driving force behind most of what they do musically and otherwise, so for him to allow them to move on without him and not start suing people over it is pretty big of him.

This amazes me. For 25 years DT fans have built up and supported Mike Portnoy, we've bought his albums and t-shirts, we've filled his concert halls, we've given him the opportunity to showcase his talents, and we've financed whatever he wants to do: then, after all that, he has the gall to sell us down the river because he gets his little taste of being a 'real' sell-out rock star...

He's the best drummer I've ever seen, but the knife in my back still doesn't feel good. He's spoken to Dream Theater fans like they're family for years, and now he just up and abandons us... not cool.

Wow. It's getting really hard to believe Portnoy is the selfish one here...

Uh, yeah, buying the music, merch, and attending the shows does not sentence the band members to a lifetime of indentured servitude.

Perhaps he thought he was just stagnating musically with DT and wants to move on and spread his wings? Sucks to be a DT fan, but it happens.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for anyone thinking that Dennis Chambers would be a Good fit is out of their mind. He is one of my fav drummers of all time but do you really think he fits in D.T. ? Please

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 9 2010, 07:26 AM)
I have to laugh when people say that Portnoy betrayed them . how can he do this. Portnoy did Nothing to You. The band did. He clearly says all he wanted was a break and They said No. This guy had a hand in almost Every D.T. song, he directed the vids, he co- produced the albums, he wrote the set lists, he did the stage design, he did the lighting for shows, he did 99% of the leg work to promote an album and a Ton more. All he wanted was a Break and They said no . What is Not to understand here? How do you think Portnoy screwed you? He clearly does Not need money, he has 2 huge f-n mansions in P.A. and AZ . He wants to be happy and wanted a little time and Portnoy is the one with the knife in his back, not us

Not docking Portnoy for his decision, nor am I calling him selfish, he's not.

But it was not really fair for him to ask the band to take a hiatus, and try not seeing it from their point of view. If Mike is experiencing burnout, that's his issue but to make it the issue for the rest of the band is not doing them justice. Over the past 2 years Mike has been busy with 3 different bands, recording and touring......and Mike is making his money. But the other members of DT aren't in the same situation.

Let's face it, as much as we love DT, they are not a band who's gonna make a shit load of money, especially after a limited tour that the BC&SL tour was. It's easy for Mike to want a break and get tired of the Write-Record-Tour cycle, because he has the money....the others have to stay on the "an album every other year" cycle because if they don't they cannot feed their families.... They cannot afford to take a hiatus.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 9 2010, 08:51 AM)
Let's face it, as much as we love DT, they are not a band who's gonna make a shit load of money, especially after a limited tour that the BC&SL tour was. It's easy for Mike to want a break and get tired of the Write-Record-Tour cycle, because he has the money....the others have to stay on the "an album every other year" cycle because if they don't they cannot feed their families.... They cannot afford to take a hiatus.

Just out of curiousity, what caused this latest tour to be 'limited'?

(I'm just asking because I wasn't aware of this...)

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Sep 9 2010, 02:17 AM)
After reading both statements, it seems clear that MP just wanted a break and DT wouldn't go for it.

Can't blame the guy.

Also, there's no statement yet that Mike has joined A7X permanently, though last week at the show, M. Shadows consistantly told the crowd to welcome Mike to "the family".

I won't get into this whole DT vs. A7X thing. It's obvious that Mike is a metal head, and it's obvious that A7X is the heavier band. Maybe he is just happier with them. Just because they are popular, doesn't take away from their talent. Mike didn't fill in for some slouch y'know. He's replacing a guy that probably would have grown into the top drummer spot himself, if he wasn't already a candidate before his death. Each member has official classical training in music. They are far from just a slouch band, as a lot of dejected DT fans are saying.

Just cuz they don't solo all over each other, doesn't mean they can't. It just means they know GOOD song structure and don't have massive egos that need to be stroked all the time. It must be a joy for Mike to play with guys that don't need to one-up each other on every damn song.

Good luck Mike. I personally hope you stay with A7X now. You're a class act. Too bad your former band mates aren't.

His former band mates arent? That's a little harsh?

So Mike should be able to do 17 different projects and make number 1 albums, and play on a major tour while his band mates sitting around for an undisclosed amount of time with there thumbs up there asses waiting for Mike's break to end? When he is actually not on a break but working his ass off?

His band mates feed there family's by touring every year. Dream Theater isn't Rush, a band who can take off large chunks of time with no real financial repercussions.

Its totally unfair to put this on the other guys. They want to make money in 2011, just like Mike will be doing without them if there on the break he wanted.

I love Mike, and he owes us nothing after all these years, but lets be fair, he wants to have his cake and eat it to.

I will say he sounded a bit like a bitch in what he wrote when he says that all he wanted was a break, and his dad named the band. Whoop dee do da day.

If your going to write that you have had more fun in every side project the past year then you have had in Dream Theater for years, then I guess its time to move on.

How you can make the other guys the bad guys is beyond me, but it really shouldn't surprise me much. You will see it the way you want to see it, and you don't like DT, so why not bash the remaining members right?

I see Mike as the one in the wrong here. If you want to move on fine but don't make it seem like your mates are the bad guys. Mike does not want a break. Mike wants to work his ass off while his band waits for him. That's not the way things work. You want a new change in your career, I totally get it and I completely understand. You want to paint your band mates as being unfair, your dead wrong.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 9 2010, 09:05 AM)
After reading both statements, it seems clear that MP just wanted a break and DT wouldn't go for it. 

Can't blame the guy. 

Also, there's no statement yet that Mike has joined A7X permanently, though last week at the show, M. Shadows consistantly told the crowd to welcome Mike to "the family". 

I won't get into this whole DT vs. A7X thing.  It's obvious that Mike is a metal head, and it's obvious that A7X is the heavier band.  Maybe he is just happier with them.  Just because they are popular, doesn't take away from their talent.  Mike didn't fill in for some slouch y'know.  He's replacing a guy that probably would have grown into the top drummer spot himself, if he wasn't already a candidate before his death.  Each member has official classical training in music.  They are far from just a slouch band, as a lot of dejected DT fans are saying. 

Just cuz they don't solo all over each other, doesn't mean they can't.  It just means they know GOOD song structure and don't have massive egos that need to be stroked all the time.  It must be a joy for Mike to play with guys that don't need to one-up each other on every damn song. 

Good luck Mike.  I personally hope you stay with A7X now.  You're a class act.  Too bad your former band mates aren't.

So Mike should be able to do 17 different projects and make number 1 albums, and play on a major tour while his band mates sitting around for an undisclosed amount of time with there thumbs up there asses waiting for Mike's break to end? When he is actually not on a break but working his ass off?

His band mates feed there family's by touring every year. Dream Theater isn't Rush, a band who can take off large chunks of time with no real financial repercussions.

Its totally unfair to put this on the other guys. They want to make money in 2011, just like Mike will be doing without them if there on the break he wanted.

I love Mike, and he owes us nothing after all these years, but lets be fair, he wants to have his cake and eat it to.

I will say he sounded a bit like a bitch in what he wrote when he says that all he wanted was a break, and his dad named the band. Whoop dee do da day.

If your going to write that you have had more fun in every side project the past year then you have had in Dream Theater for years, then I guess its time to move on.

How you can make the other guys the bad guys is beyond me, but it really shouldn't surprise me much. You will see it the way you want to see it, and you don't like DT, so why not bash the remaining members right?

I see Mike as the one in the wrong here. If you want to move on fine but don't make it seem like your mates are the bad guys. Mike does not want a break. Mike wants to work his ass off while his band waits for him. That's not the way things work. You want a new change in your career, I totally get it and I completely understand. You want to paint your band mates as being unfair, your dead wrong.

You're right. I DON'T like DT. I've tried a bajillion times, but they just don't cut it for me.

Never in a million years did I WISH for this though, like you claimed on my FB page. I wanted him to do double duty. Why not? Others do. If he can give all that time to that Transatlantic bullshit, then he can play with a REAL band, like A7X.

I highly doubt that ANY of the musicians in DT are suffering. You make it sound like they'll be on the bread lines because Mike wanted a break. COME ON!!! They all have endorsement deals that make them very rich men. Just cuz none of them are as amazing as Mike, doesn't mean they are signing up for welfare checks. That sob story bullshit isn't breaking anyone's heart. Sorry.

Read his statement with a clear head. He gave them opportunities to continue working together. YES, he required a break, but he was willing to do prelim work on the album, so they could continue at their pace. THEY said no.

I'm betting that there was problems in existance long before the A7X thing, and you fans of DT are unwilling to accept that. If you saw how comfortable he is with A7X, you'd know he belongs with them. He's a perfect fit. I'm sorry that he felt that he had to leave DT. I never "wished" for this, and I'm not responsible for it. I doubt he heard or read anything I've ever said on the issue, so I don't see why you're pissed at me. My stroke of influence isn't really all that big.

And yes, he IS a class act. What he did for A7X was the noblest thing I've ever seen a musician do. If the toads in DT couldn't handle it, then they are obviously classless. Should have been no issue to give Mike a break. I think they saw the writing on the wall, as I'm POSITIVE there's more to this than we're hearing. He's said he's been thinking about it long before any of his work with A7X, so obviously there's been tension a brewin'. Seems to me, THEY used his involvement as a tool to give him an ultimatum and he chose NOT to fall prey to that shit.

Yeah. You're DEAD wrong.

Jokes are just that... JOKES. Or does that only apply to you? I would never wish that your favorite band crumble. How ludicrous of you to think that.

I wanted him to do double duty, cuz he's a great drummer and A7X is a great band and I can't really stand DT. But in no way did i wish for this to happen.

Bullshit of you to think so. I've got far more important things on my plate than worrying about whether or not Mike should play in a bar band or a number one metal act. I DON'T CARE.

I'm very surprised. He was the center of that band. Petrucci too, but not as great a central force as Portnoy.

I can't imagine what will happen to the band while using another drummer, but it sounds like Portnoy left the door open to return at a later date - maybe after one or two DT albums without him. Sounds like he just needs a break.

I agree with Tick that Portnoy sounds like the problem here, not the other guys. If he wanted a break, fine, but he shouldn't have made the others sound like "bad guys" for choosing to go on. When four people see things one way and just ONE PERSON sees it another, chances are that the one person is on the "wrong" side.

I also agree with Necro: "I DON'T like DT. I've tried a bajillion times, but they just don't cut it for me." But they're a talented bunch, I own 5 or 6 of their CDs (although I never play them) and I've seen them live. I wish them continued success with or without Portnoy.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 9 2010, 08:05 AM)

Can't blame the guy. 

goodpost.gif

As a big Dream Theater fan this news came as quite a shock to me last night when I read it. But let's not blame A7x for this at all. Portnoy brought this all on himself by just putting one too many things on his plate. Mainly agreeing to tour with A7X this summer while his band mates in DT rest up from their summer tour openning for Maiden.

He did put the guys in DT in a very tough spot. The band won't be the same without him and without his influence in the song writting. But that isn't a bad thing nescessarily. With somebody new coming in there will be new ideas and possibly new things for them to do musically. He's a very good drummer but i'm sure there's other very talented drummers out there who are willing to step up and handle the task of playing in Dream Theater. The band has every right to move on without him after he screwed them over like this.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 9 2010, 07:51 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 9 2010, 07:26 AM)
I have to laugh when people say that Portnoy betrayed them . how can he do this. Portnoy did Nothing to You. The band did. He clearly says all he wanted was a break and They said No. This guy had a hand in almost Every D.T. song, he directed the vids, he co- produced the albums, he wrote the set lists, he did the stage design, he did the lighting for shows, he did 99% of the leg work to promote an album and a Ton more. All he wanted was a Break and They said no . What is Not to understand here? How do you think Portnoy screwed you? He clearly does Not need money, he has 2 huge f-n mansions in P.A. and AZ . He wants  to be happy and wanted a little time and Portnoy is the one with the knife in his back, not us

Not docking Portnoy for his decision, nor am I calling him selfish, he's not.

But it was not really fair for him to ask the band to take a hiatus, and try not seeing it from their point of view. If Mike is experiencing burnout, that's his issue but to make it the issue for the rest of the band is not doing them justice. Over the past 2 years Mike has been busy with 3 different bands, recording and touring......and Mike is making his money. But the other members of DT aren't in the same situation.

It is not like Portnoy said 'I want 2 years off' He wanted a break from all things D.T. for awhile. That is all. Just me, D.T. makes enough bread to live. They all have very nice houses and are not hurting for cash. They all do solo albums and all have endorsements . They have been taking their familys on tour for over 10 years now. That is not cheap. That is extra busses they need and to rent 1 tour bus for a week was $25,000 back in 1996 . You can only imagine how much it is now . Just because Mike likes to tour with side projects and the other guys [except j.p.] can't fill bleacher seats at a high school basketball game with their bands is Not his fault . He was willing to work with them in 2011 and They said no . I will always be a D.T. fan and always be a Portnoy fan but i gotta go with Mike on this one

Yet another prog rock star leaves at what seems to be the height of the groups popularity after the release of a double disc....

Gabriel bailed after the lamb, Neal Morse said adios after snow and now MP

after BC&SL.

My guess is MP will play more with Neal Morse.

Of course it will be interesting to see who DT will recruit to fill MP's shoes.

Since MP and JP had been producing it seems a production change is in order too.

In 5 years will MP rejoin for the 30th anniversary either a re-joined member or a guest performer?

I seriously think this lasts for 1 album/tour . In 3 years he will be back, just my gut feeling

Wow... I was very shocked when I read the headline....

I'm not the biggest DT fan in the world but I have an endearment for quite a few songs and albums of theirs. I guess I always considered Mike to be a critical part of the band. It's good that he's not slowing them down however, and if he needs a break and is happier doing other things, then I guess DT will have to go find some new drumming talent.

Time to become an Avenged Sevenfold fan now... actually I don't really like their music too much... From what I've heard, It's catchy, but there doesn't seem to be a ton of substance behind the music. Maybe I'll try listening to Hail! or Transatlantic instead. I don't know much about either of those bands

QUOTE (udanax @ Sep 9 2010, 01:12 PM)
Wow... I was very shocked when I read the headline....

I'm not the biggest DT fan in the world but I have an endearment for quite a few songs and albums of theirs. I guess I always considered Mike to be a critical part of the band. It's good that he's not slowing them down however, and if he needs a break and is happier doing other things, then I guess DT will have to go find some new drumming talent.

Time to become an Avenged Sevenfold fan now... actually I don't really like their music too much... From what I've heard, It's catchy, but there doesn't seem to be a ton of substance behind the music. Maybe I'll try listening to Hail! or Transatlantic instead. I don't know much about either of those bands

not sure if Hail! is an ongoing project. my recollection is that it was a metal supergroup with a revolving cast of players that played mostly covers. David Ellefson has since rejoined megadeth after the hail! shows.

transatlantic is another supergroup project with neal morse, roine stolt and pete trewas.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 9 2010, 03:13 AM)
QUOTE (KenJennings @ Sep 8 2010, 11:36 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 9 2010, 01:14 AM)
Some of these replies are mindblowing to me. The guy gave you 25 years of constant recording and touring, and then he decides he wants to move on and people talk about how selfish he is. Unbelievable.

To me, this reflects a lot more poorly on the rest of the members of the band than it does on him. I'm not the biggest DT expert in the world but from what I gather he's the driving force behind most of what they do musically and otherwise, so for him to allow them to move on without him and not start suing people over it is pretty big of him.

This amazes me. For 25 years DT fans have built up and supported Mike Portnoy, we've bought his albums and t-shirts, we've filled his concert halls, we've given him the opportunity to showcase his talents, and we've financed whatever he wants to do: then, after all that, he has the gall to sell us down the river because he gets his little taste of being a 'real' sell-out rock star...

He's the best drummer I've ever seen, but the knife in my back still doesn't feel good. He's spoken to Dream Theater fans like they're family for years, and now he just up and abandons us... not cool.

Wow. It's getting really hard to believe Portnoy is the selfish one here...

Oh, give me a break...

Portnoy's free to do whatever he wants, but at the same time, the fans who built him up are free to feel however they will about it.

Given the evidence I have; It certainly looks like he sold his loyal fans out to go play his rockstar games. Maybe i'm being selfish for expecting more out of him, but I do: I expect MP to be better than that. It is because of the respect and admiration I have for him that I hold him to a higher standard. This is a severly dissapointing choice by him- but it's his choice to make. I offer no apologies for expressing my honest feelings on the issue.

So he's obliged to stay in a band that he isn't enjoying, that he's been in for the majority of his life, and is wrong for wanting to have some fun in a far less pressured environment, simply because he owes it to his fans because they brought his records?

You would think the fans would owe it to him for giving them so much music over such a long period of time

Archived