Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater

fledgehog

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Sep 9 2010, 07:51 PM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Sep 9 2010, 07:20 PM)
QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Sep 9 2010, 06:27 PM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Sep 9 2010, 05:52 PM)
I'm sorry if this offends Portnoy fans...

I really didn't think he was the right drummer for them. I know that he was one of the founding members and all, but everytime I hear them, I cringe when I hear the sound of his drums. They are just dead. His bass drums sound like thuds. His playing is mechanical. I hope that he finds a good metal band, but it just didn't work with a prog band like DT.

Also- and I am merely speculating here. I think there is a LOT more to this. I tend to think that the band wanted to move in a different direction. Portnoy's excuse - he needed a break? WTF is that? He will never play in front of a larger audience than with DT. If he truly did decide on his own to leave DT, he made a Rutsey-type mistake.

This, of course, is just my opinion.

I love the sound of the Tama drums , I wish Neil would go back to them because I don't care for his sound as much anymore.

I respect that. Some people love the sound of his drums. I just don't. That doesn't mean I don't think Portnoy was incredibly talented. I just thought it sounded wrong for the kind of music they were playing. I don't think it has as much to do with the Tama brand as it does how tight the drum heads are, the deadening pillows, compression, etc. - You can set up a set of Tama to sound a lot of different ways. I also love the old Peart sound, but his new sound is good too. I just like the way Peart plays - his style, and it fits perfectly with Rush. Portnoys style and sound sounded out of place to me. Again, this is just me though - I'm sure there are thousands who would disagree with me. trink39.gif

I am no drummer so I'll take your word for it. trink39.gif

I'm not either. I have just been around it enough to know that you can tweak any set with a variety of effects, tunings, etc.. - I have a small set in my music room, but hardly ever play them. I can keep a beat, but I certainly don't call myself a drummer.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really didn't think he was the right drummer for them. I know that he was one of the founding members and all, but everytime I hear them, I cringe when I hear the sound of his drums. They are just dead. His bass drums sound like thuds. His playing is mechanical. I hope that he finds a good metal band, but it just didn't work with a prog band like DT.

Also- and I am merely speculating here. I think there is a LOT more to this. I tend to think that the band wanted to move in a different direction. Portnoy's excuse - he needed a break? WTF is that? He will never play in front of a larger audience than with DT. If he truly did decide on his own to leave DT, he made a Rutsey-type mistake.

This, of course, is just my opinion.

I would disagree with these findings.

1) If you've ever dedicated a large amount of time and energy with a band and the other members more or less "just walk onstage and play", it gets very, very frustrating. There's no glory in all the work he was doing behind the scenes for all these years. As far as DT wanting to go in a different direction, i'd doubt that very seriously. Mike is a very "true to himself" kind of guy and I believe he truly needed a break.

I can see how one could get burned out playing in the same band for TWO years, let alone 25. He wasn't feeling the passion any more and wanted to be true to himself by having some time off so that he felt the excitement he used to feel. I totally get that.

He will never play in a larger audience than Dream Theater has? That sounds like sour graping to me. Of course anything's possible, and A7 has a radio hit right now, i believe #1, so...

As far as MP not being the right drummer for DT, this is obviously false. Without him there would be no DT, and he has shaped the sound of them quite a bit, not just with his drumming.

And as far as being a "rutsey-like mistake", that's a big pile of doggie-doo-doo. He didn't make a mistake. He did what he had to do in order to be true to himself. Dream Theater will definitely suffer more than he will by this change, even though I predict his parting will only be temporary when DT finds out how much help he was to the band. Sometimes we don't appreciate each other 'til we're gone.

Another remark was made about his drum sound being bad in recent years because he uses "Tama"? The brand of drums have very little to do with drum sounds. Sound engineering shapes the sound much more than anything.

Well, there it is. LEt the tomatoes fly... ohmy.gif

Obviously you've all heard the news of Mike's departure from Dream Theater by now.

I felt it important to open up a line of communication in an effort to kill any rumors and to promote clarity.

I love Mike and really hope he's happy and successful in whatever he does.

I realize that Mike was always the one to actively stay in touch with our fans, and I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to try to be at least a bit more present on both mine and DT's websites and to let you all know that I am here.

To me, Dream Theater's story is one of defying the odds, standing for true integrity in music and creating our own success through perseverance and hard work, so although Mike's leaving is heartbreaking, I still look forward to an amazing musical journey that continues on with some of the most talented and respected musicians and composers on the planet!

-JP

"After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater..." Mike Portnoy

Yeah sure, I would wait for him while he "takes a break"

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 10 2010, 01:49 PM)
"After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater..." Mike Portnoy

DT was supposed to be quiet for 2010, and aside from the Maiden tour this summer, it was. Mike chose to work with three other bands! That's his choice and problem, the other four guys did nothing since last year! I can't fault them for wanting to record/tour!

QUOTE (Soni @ Sep 10 2010, 07:56 AM)

DT was supposed to be quiet for 2010, and aside from the Maiden tour this summer, it was. Mike chose to work with three other bands! That's his choice and problem, the other four guys did nothing since last year! I can't fault them for wanting to record/tour!

Totally agree, Soni! goodpost.gif

I still love Mike, but to make an analogy if I can. I feel Mike with A7X is like a guy in a relationship with a woman, married or long standing relationship. You know each other too long. That romantic spark is not what it once was. You don't appreciate the each other like you once did. You take each other for granted. You get under each others skin more.

Then you have an affair with someone. Its exciting and new. That spark is there. You have that feeling you once had with your wife/girlfriend. There is no fighting. You have so much to talk about. The sex is great. Its a hard lure to walk away from.

Thus my feelings about Mike in A7X. Its all the above in a different sense. I think you get my point. Its new, its exciting. It feels that honeymoon love. He feels appreciated at the highest level. Its an awesome feeling as we all know.

It won't last in my opinion. Mike is going to want more for himself then the role of the new guy replacement drummer. He will want his own direction cause that is Mike.

Right now Mike is in love with his current situation. Its exciting and new.

I don't expect this to become his permanent residence.

This is just one guys opinion on the matter.

I really didn't think he was the right drummer for them.

Everyone's giving me a good laugh this morning, whether they intend to or not...I love this comment...Like he's some guy off the street that they tried out for a while but didn't quite make the grade, and now you're thankful he's gone.

Of course, the true picture here is that there IS NO Dream Theater in the world without the likes of Portnoy...It was Portnoy and Petrucci that invented this band's 'sound'...which, if you now go and hop on MySpace and search for all bands influenced by the original formula, you'd turn up hundreds of clones worldwide.

Mike Portnoy's name is semi-synonymous with the name, Dream Theater...Saying that he wasn't "really the right drummer for them" is like saying Ben Franklin isn't really right for America...or that Megan Fox isn't really right for my libido...

QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Sep 9 2010, 07:49 PM)
He wanted money

He has money. Next

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 10 2010, 08:10 AM)

Everyone's giving me a good laugh this morning, whether they intend to or not...I love this comment...Like he's some guy off the street that they tried out for a while but didn't quite make the grade, and now you're thankful he's gone.

Of course, the true picture here is that there IS NO Dream Theater in the world without the likes of Portnoy...It was Portnoy and Petrucci that invented this band's 'sound'...which, if you now go and hop on MySpace and search for all bands influenced by the original formula, you'd turn up hundreds of clones worldwide.

Mike Portnoy's name is semi-synonymous with the name, Dream Theater...Saying that he wasn't "really the right drummer for them" is like saying Ben Franklin isn't really right for America...or that Megan Fox isn't really right for my libido...

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (thelocator @ Sep 10 2010, 08:10 AM)

You didn't include my next sentence/paragraph where I did give him credit for being one of the formers of the group.

When I said that, what I mean is 'sonically'. And again, this is just my opinion man. I just thought the drums sounded out of place for the type of music they were doing. I wasn't knocking Portnoy as a drummer. He is really good for what he does. But when I have listened to them as a band, the drums just sounded odd to me. However, someone else pointed out that his sound has changed over the years and maybe I didn't hear their early stuff enough. That is a valid point. I am basing this only on the last couple CD's.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 10 2010, 08:39 AM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Sep 10 2010, 07:56 AM)

Totally agree, Soni! goodpost.gif

I still love Mike, but to make an analogy if I can. I feel Mike with A7X is like a guy in a relationship with a woman, married or long standing relationship. You know each other too long. That romantic spark is not what it once was. You don't appreciate the each other like you once did. You take each other for granted. You get under each others skin more.

Then you have an affair with someone. Its exciting and new. That spark is there. You have that feeling you once had with your wife/girlfriend. There is no fighting. You have so much to talk about. The sex is great. Its a hard lure to walk away from.

Thus my feelings about Mike in A7X. Its all the above in a different sense. I think you get my point. Its new, its exciting. It feels that honeymoon love. He feels appreciated at the highest level. Its an awesome feeling as we all know.

It won't last in my opinion. Mike is going to want more for himself then the role of the new guy replacement drummer. He will want his own direction cause that is Mike.

Right now Mike is in love with his current situation. Its exciting and new.

I don't expect this to become his permanent residence.

This is just one guys opinion on the matter.

I am still heartbroken . . . but . . .

. . . I have to respect Mike Portnoy for his work . . . for his contribution to the enjoyment of my life . . . for his right of self-determination . . .

But, after reading this Dream Theater press release . . .

"While it is true that Mike is choosing to pursue other ventures and challenges, we can assure you that Dream Theater will continue to move forward with the same intensity -- and in the same musical tradition -- that you have all helped make so successful, and which is truly gratifying to us.

Fans and friends: File this episode under "Black Clouds and Silver Linings." As planned, we begin recording our newest album in January 2011, and we'll follow that with a full-on world tour. "The Spirit Carries On.""

I am a bit miffed because D.T. was already in process of planning the 2011 Tour. I believe that it was a bit unfair to request an hiatus considering the commitments that had already been solidified.

Tick is absolutely correct - - the break-up of an established band is equitable to a divorce. It is unexpected and brutally painful.

While I am adult enough to wish Portnoy well, I am also, in my inner adolescent selfishness, pissed that he left the band . . . he left us . . . he left ME, DAMN IT!!!!!!!! angry.gif

We have to be supported as we tread through the stages of grieving . . . first we didn't believe it - - DENIAL STAGE - -

Then we felt the pain - - PAIN AND GUILT STAGE - -

Now we seem to be pissed off - - ANGER STAGE - -

Hopefully, over the next few months we can get through the rest of the process to a point where we can feel a comfortable acceptance.

But, . . .

I will, indeed, miss the D. T. that I have come to love and admire which included Mike Portnoy.

Sad.

So very sad.

Hare sad.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 10 2010, 10:33 PM)
Mike Portnoy interview in about an hour on Eddie Trunks terrestrial radio show in New York at 11:30 EST, the only interview Mike is going to talk about the break.

http://www.q1043.com/main.html

(Hit Listen Live)

YA BEAT ME TO THE PUNCH, BITCH! 1022.gif laugh.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 10 2010, 10:07 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 10 2010, 10:33 PM)
Mike Portnoy interview in about an hour on Eddie Trunks terrestrial radio show in New York at 11:30 EST, the only interview Mike is going to talk about the break. 

http://www.q1043.com/main.html

(Hit Listen Live)

YA BEAT ME TO THE PUNCH, BITCH! 1022.gif laugh.gif trink39.gif

cool.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 10 2010, 11:18 PM)
Trunk's show has started, but Mike is not on until 1130......... I think, Trunk's playing some new Maiden right now.

I'm listening!

Archived