Rush vs Aerosmith

JohnM394

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Sep 8 2010, 12:53 PM)
QUOTE (Atomic @ Sep 8 2010, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Sep 7 2010, 07:45 PM)
I just don't understand the American affinity for Aerosmith. My dislike for them burns with the intensity of a thousand burning suns. I think that Joe Perry is incredibly overrated and that his talent can be equaled in bar bands across the states. Also, each time I hear that prancing nancy screaming in tune over that warbling sloppiness Perry spews out I want to break radios.

THIS!!!! ^^^^

clearly you never listened to Toys In The Attic and Rocks in their entirety.

Actually, I used to own both... and all their other drivel supercedes any modicum of brilliance those efforts evoked.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Sep 8 2010, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Sep 8 2010, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (Boots @ Sep 8 2010, 01:12 PM)
I've always thought of Aerosmith as an American ripoff of the Rolling Stones, from the music to the big lips (Tyler's).

At least Rush is original.

One could argue that Rush was a rip-off of Led Zep.

Not so much...the comparisons end after the 1st album

Much of FBN is Zep-esque as well. B,B, and Behind steals its' riff from Heartbreaker.

I certainly agree that it stops after the 2nd album though.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Sep 8 2010, 12:53 PM)
QUOTE (Atomic @ Sep 8 2010, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Sep 7 2010, 07:45 PM)
I just don't understand the American affinity for Aerosmith. My dislike for them burns with the intensity of a thousand burning suns. I think that Joe Perry is incredibly overrated and that his talent can be equaled in bar bands across the states. Also, each time I hear that prancing nancy screaming in tune over that warbling sloppiness Perry spews out I want to break radios.

THIS!!!! ^^^^

clearly you never listened to Toys In The Attic and Rocks in their entirety.

Actually I have. Way too much. Just because I don't like them and don't understand does not mean that I am basing my opinion on Dude looks like a lady and Janies got a gun. I worked in a record store during high school and those albums got major play from one of the owners. Draw the Line and Right in the Nuts as well. I got so that I could not stand that 10 inch record song. Remember walking in the sand gave me the hives. As soon as I hear one of the opening riffs to either Walk, BITS, Last Child, Draw, or Dream I hit the station button on the XM. They will someday cause me to break the switch. Sweet Emotion...overplayed. Sick as a Dog...could never get into that. I can think of many other bands that I turn to if I am into a bluesy mindset.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 8 2010, 03:09 PM)
1970's Aerosmith is brilliant gritty down in the dirt rock and roll. They were a GREAT band.

But the 70's stuff has been completely worn out by FM radio. sad.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 8 2010, 04:37 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 8 2010, 03:09 PM)
1970's Aerosmith is brilliant gritty down in the dirt rock and roll.  They were a GREAT band.

But the 70's stuff has been completely worn out by FM radio. sad.gif

Maybe so. It's still great stuff, though.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Sep 8 2010, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Sep 8 2010, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Sep 8 2010, 01:37 PM)
I've always thought of Aerosmith as an American ripoff of the Rolling Stones, from the music to the big lips (Tyler's).

One could argue that Rush was a rip-off of Led Zep.

Not so much...the comparisons end after the 1st album

Much of FBN is Zep-esque as well. B,B, and Behind steals its' riff from Heartbreaker.

I certainly agree that it stops after the 2nd album though.

As a musician....

To be 'influenced' by a band that you listen to and respect...is not a 'rip off'

RUSH and Fly By Night were NOT Led Zeppelin 'rip offs' by any means.....

Those two albums, to me, were night and day different than Zep.

Every great band has influences....and are quick to credit them....

RUSH is RUSH.....influenced by some..... yet completely different than any else.

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Sep 8 2010, 07:09 PM)
I was a Rush fan but Aerosmith and Kiss were Gods to me until Aerosmith broke up and Kiss started playing Disco.

old.gif And, I saw KISS when they were still an opening act... before they had their 'Army'...

opened for Golden Earring, as I recall

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 8 2010, 10:02 AM)
QUOTE (summer_sky @ Sep 7 2010, 08:03 PM)
I saw Aerosmith when they were an opening act... Aerosmith opened, followed by Queen and Mott The Hoople headlined.  circa 1974-75.  Harrisburg, PA. tickets were $4.50. (a friend still has his ticket stub)

old.gif laugh.gif

hey, I was very young when I was turned on to live music, worked a job for ticket money and saw every show I could...

nasty.gif biggrin.gif

Look I am no huge fan of Aerosmith but do think their early stuff was cool....you can't bash them for being unoriginal while propping up Rush as your example of originality...Rush has had many,many transparent influences throughout their career....starting with

Rush...sounds alot like early Zep and some Black Sabbath

Middle 70's period...alot like Yes and much other prog

Much of Neil's playing directly influenced by none other than Bill Bruford

80's Rush...Police has their name all over New World Man...Vital Signs...and others...

Big Money...has Duran Duran like undertones all over the place in intro...

Counterparts...sounds much like the Seattle scene....Animate very much so.

None of this is a criticism BTW.....

At the end of the day... Rush is Rush... but you could argue overall Aerosmith is Aerosmith as well....Other than the actual visual appearance of Tyler's mouth I see no comparison to the Rolling Stones to be honest.

QUOTE (JohnM394 @ Sep 7 2010, 05:46 PM)
Just finished reading this article about the squabbling between Joe Perry and Steven Tyler regarding Tyler's upcoming Idol stint:

Yahoo Music Blogs

Aren't we lucky that we don't have to put up with this bs? Just a band who are best friends, with god-like talent (without the ego), and who just continue to crank out music....

Holy crap, if you think that's bad try being a fan of Van Halen. I browse one of their forums every once in a while because it's like rubbernecking at a major car accident. I've even seen some posts over there from people who aren't Rush fans lamenting the fact that the guys in VH can't be mature adults like the guys in Rush. Typically in threads about Ray Danniels. VH has got to be about the most dysfunctional mega-band in history. There's no reason they couldn't still be huge like AC/DC or Aerosmith if they weren't a bunch of mental 5 year olds. And I'm a huge fan of VH saying that. Thank goodness I don't have the emotional investment in them like I do Rush though or I would have jumped off a cliff years ago. It's just comical what Eddie's done to that band's legacy.

As for Aerosmith. I don't know. I guess I like them in a very casual way but I also can't really understand how they were able to become so huge and stay that way. From what I understand though they basically just pimped out their songwriting to others starting back in the 80s and have made their living on movie soundtrack and commercial exposure since.

QUOTE (druid13 @ Sep 10 2010, 02:03 PM)

Look I am no huge fan of Aerosmith but do think their early stuff was cool....you can't bash them for being unoriginal while propping up Rush as your example of originality...Rush has had many,many transparent influences throughout their career....starting with

80's Rush...Police has their name all over New World Man...Vital Signs...and others...

At the end of the day... Rush is Rush... but you could argue overall Aerosmith is Aerosmith as well....Other than the actual visual appearance of Tyler's mouth I see no comparison to the Rolling Stones to be honest.

You just outlined one of the reasons that I love Rush so much, and Aerosmith...not so much.

Rush has challenged themselves to change their sound over time. That makes each new offering from Rush fresh and exciting. Everything that Aerosmith has produced since the late 80s sounds exactly the same. wacko.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 10 2010, 03:43 PM)
QUOTE (druid13 @ Sep 10 2010, 02:03 PM)

You just outlined one of the reasons that I love Rush so much, and Aerosmith...not so much.

Rush has challenged themselves to change their sound over time. That makes each new offering from Rush fresh and exciting. Everything that Aerosmith has produced since the late 80s sounds exactly the same. wacko.gif

Agree..I don't like anything beyond the 70s with Aerosmith at all.

But their early stuff...I get it...even if I don't listen to it very often.

Just pointing out there are few original bands living on islands is all.

Van Halen? Biggest crash and Burn I can remember from any band of that stature. Embarassingly ridiculous...and they have alot of loyal fans too. So many bad feelings among ex-members...and Eddie is a mess.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 8 2010, 09:09 PM)
1970's Aerosmith is brilliant gritty down in the dirt rock and roll. They were a GREAT band.

goodpost.gif

Totally agree

However, it all went pear-shaped after Draw The Line

Archived