Best Porcupine Tree Album?

ericplayzbass

What is your favorite Porcupine Tree Album?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Porcupine Tree Album?

• On The Sunday of Life
    • Up The Downstair
    • The Sky Moves Sideways
    • Signify
    • Coma Divine - Recorded Live in Rome
    • Stupid Dream
    • Lightbulb Sun
    • In Absentia
    • Warszawa
    • Deadwing
    • Rockpalast
    • Fear of a Black Planet
    • The Incident
    • Atlanta

I just got in to the band today and since I have limited time I'm not able to listen to all PT's albums straight through as I would like too, so which is the best one to listen to first?

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 15 2010, 01:34 PM)
Deadwing or FOABP are solid starting points.

That's exactly how I got into them. I listened to Deadwing then Fear Of A Blank Planet. Then In Absentia. I am hooked for life! The entire catalog is phenomenal. Even the really old stuff.

I'm F'n staring at this list for like four minutes without even coming close to a final decision...I dub this the task -an impossible one.

I would choose Signify possibly if you would allow me the bonus CD - Insignificance.

Might even settle on Fear of a Blank Planet, if I could tack on the Nil Recurring EP.

But, fact of the matter is that these guys have been might darn CONSISTENT ever since the Signify era...All the albums have been a well-balanced assortment of all kinds of awesome selections...

I truly can't pick one.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 15 2010, 04:12 PM)
I'm F'n staring at this list for like four minutes without even coming close to a final decision...I dub this the task -an impossible one.

I would choose Signify possibly if you would allow me the bonus CD - Insignificance.

Might even settle on Fear of a Blank Planet, if I could tack on the Nil Recurring EP.

But, fact of the matter is that these guys have been might darn CONSISTENT ever since the Signify era...All the albums have been a well-balanced assortment of all kinds of awesome selections...

I truly can't pick one.
Edited by Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees

Out of the few i heard, FOABP

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Aug 16 2010, 09:10 AM)
I'm not a huge fan, but In Absentia and Deadwing are cool albums. I like most of FOABP too. Didn't care for The Incident.

I almost wrote off The Incident...just like I almost wrote off FOABP when that one was initially released...

Both of these albums, although totally different in their approach, are both, SO MUCH different than that four album stretch of material that came right before them.

FOABP was a hugescale, DENSE musical production that was leading the band more into the Dream Theater/Opeth territory...This album was NOWHERE as easy to get into at first as the really catchy, accessible material that the band was doing up until this point.

AND, now, The Incident, is even more 'esoteric' and more demanding of the listener than FOABP...This is NOT an album that you will 'get' in one or two listens...In fact, the first two times I heard it I wanted to SMASH it...

The recording was so minimalistic in its approach, with all these tiny and subtle nuances, that it truly was not what I was expecting to hear from them after the WAY BIG production of FOABP...

ALL the songs are musically linked through very smart 'bridging', and all the songs themselves have many uncharacteristic sub-structures which are very much at odds with what the band has done in the past

But, if you give this material ample time for it to completely unfold for you, it proves to be a highly rewarding collection...The track 'Time Flies' alone is worth the admission price...This is a great CD for a long car ride, or for me, a 45 to 60 walk/run on the treadmill...GIVE IT SOME MORE TIME.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 18 2010, 03:43 AM)
This is NOT an album that you will 'get' in one or two listens...In fact, the first two times I heard it I wanted to SMASH it...

wacko.gif First time hit me like a ton of lead. Like everything, it's all subjective.

I don't really have a clear fave album either OP.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 15 2010, 04:12 PM)

I don't know enough about these guys, I'm still kinda new as a PT fan. Found out about 'em here. On a normal day I'd say Deadwing. An album that just had everything going for it. Love it.

But you brought up Signify. I found a used copy. Hard to think of Insignificance as a "bonus" disc, it's a pretty richly conceived deal of its own, although it mirrors Signify.

The Incident did seem a little weird at first, but playing it in my car on the way to work, it seems pretty cool. Playing it at 5:30-6 am on my commute is a pretty trippy deal. It works.

Keep stretching those boundaries, guys.