Fear of losing Rush

losingit2k

I was thinking about the psychology behind many of the complaints about Rush! Could they be fueled by the fear of losing RUSH? We all speculate that Rush doesn't have many more tour left since they are getting older! With that said do we all have a supressed fear of loosing Rush and not hearing certain songs again? I know that on average most true Rush fans are extremely loyal! We go to every concert, every movie we buy the cd's and Dvd's on the date they are released and we all continue to claim they are the Best band in the world! So why do we complain about the set or certain things? Are we spoiled? No I don't think that it! I think we truely have a supressed fear of Loosing RUSH to the inevitable pursuit of TIME!

Any thoughts?

I have created a concern like you say! Of how my life would be without Rush in my life! My life gets better when theirs a new song released, even better when a new tour is announced, climbs even higher upon receiving tickets, sours on concert day! Then the bottom falls out the day after! Their's a small repreive during the sale of the DVD and then the process begins all over again! They have been the soundtrack to my life and life without them would just be dreadful!

eh.gif

I'll probably get emotional about this on their "farewell" tour (if there ever is one), but they've given us 19 (mostly) great albums and still put on a killer live show, and have at least one more album planned for next year. If the tradeoff for that is that the setlist isn't 100% what I'd like it to be every tour, I'll take it.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Aug 9 2010, 09:28 PM)
I'll probably get emotional about this on their "farewell" tour (if there ever is one), but they've given us 19 (mostly) great albums and still put on a killer live show, and have at least one more album planned for next year. If the tradeoff for that is that the setlist isn't 100% what I'd like it to be every tour, I'll take it.

Absolutely! I've just noticed that every tour there are more and more complaints about older songs the fans want to hear! Us fan are becoming more vocal every time around and this can have an adverse reaction as well! Yeah we finally got to hear The Camera Eye! But we really need to allow the guys to do what they want and support them in the ways we have always done!

We always have DVDs and Youtube to see the songs we don't get!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Aug 9 2010, 08:19 PM)
I have a legitimate concern.....if not fear..... of not anticipating a new album or tour.  I have not realized that fear yet...thankfully.

Signed,
              Fearless (part V of the Fear Quadrilogy)

Lucky Fans...

Been there done that with Tull.. the Fear is over.. No New Albums and same old tours.

Never a Farewell Tour as he is still touring the same ol set list. Never said this is the last album, just stopped.. confused13.gif

Has been a long slow painful death.

Enjoy all of it you while you can. yes.gif

People complain because it is the Internet, they can post anonamously, and they are human. No further explaination is necessary.

I personally feel like I'm going to be fine when they hang it up. Their body of work is staggering in size and amazing in quality. Stopping after 2112 would have been fine- after MP a career untouched by most, and HYF would have felt like they went into overtime. Instead what we've gotten no one could've ever hoped for- the quality of S&A and the two new songs just blow me away- I will have years of memories and music to last once they are finally done. They may stop recording but their music will not be gone and they will never be forgotten.

Thankfully I grew up with them so it's no biggie when they hang it up. I have already accepted that fact. As much as I love the band, reality has to set in at some point. Let's just hope they play as long as they can. I am content with what they have accomplished through out the decades even when the critics were out like a "pack of wolves". biggrin.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 9 2010, 10:53 PM)
Thankfully I grew up with them so it's no biggie when they hang it up. I have already accepted that fact. As much as I love the band, reality has to set in at some point. Let's just hope they play as long as they can. I am content with what they have accomplished through out the decades even when the critics were out like a "pack of wolves". biggrin.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

I am still astonished that they've continued for as long as they have. Some of us remember, about 13 years ago, being fairly certain it was all over. Not that any of us would have held it against them if it had been true.

I'm also somewhat staggered by how FAST it's all seemed, looking at it in the context of album to tour to album to tour. . .it really does seem like it was just recently that I was at my first show (Signals). Then GUP with Count Floyd. . .Power Windows is REALLY 25 years old???? ohmy.gif

Time Stand Still, indeed.

After a lifetime of great entertainment, mental stimulation, and jaw-dropping performances, it feels infantile to want more. I do though, and am very happy to be getting it.

However or whenever it ends it will be impossible for me to mourn. It'll be an Irish wake.

I thought it was going to be over after the HYF tour. I mean, most bands dont last that long and here they are, still going strong in 2010.

But I have this feeling, no matter what the band says or anyone else, that the Clockwork Angels tour will be the last. If not, great, but I won't be suprised if it is. I don't want it to be, but time is marching on and age is starting to play into it more and more all the time. We'll see.

R40? unsure.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Aug 9 2010, 09:28 PM)

Well said!

QUOTE (ridertoo98 @ Aug 9 2010, 09:35 PM)
Act like they are the Stones, in that case we have a few shows/cds to go. Got to look on the bright side. smile.gif

I like your outlook

I personally have been paying close attention to Ged's voice over the past several tours and I just have to wonder how long he'll be able to continue singing some of their staple songs. Some of the higher notes seem to be more and more of a struggle, as can be expected with age of course. I think Ged's voice will be the limiting factor when the time comes. I guess they could start tuning down on everything, but I just can't see them doing that. Or maybe on some subconscious level I would prefer them to quit while they're still on top of their game, instead of tuning down on everything just to continue touring. Who knows. There is definitely some interesting psychological stuff going on internally now that I think about all this.

But the bottom line is, they can still rock... so let's enjoy it while we can! smile.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 9 2010, 09:40 PM)
I was thinking about the psychology behind many of the complaints about Rush! Could they be fueled by the fear of losing RUSH?

If that's true then one possible response would be to play all FOUR parts of Fear in the next concert! yes.gif 1022.gif

end it now so i can get on with my life laugh.gif

big,big fan since 76 and the band have been all consuming,I REPEAT....

GIVE ME MY LIFE BACK YOU BASTARDS!!!!

laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Aug 10 2010, 09:59 AM)
end it now so i can get on with my life laugh.gif

big,big fan since 76 and the band have been all consuming,I REPEAT....
GIVE ME MY LIFE BACK YOU BASTARDS!!!!
laugh.gif laugh.gif

rofl3.gif Yeah, dang, some of us might have to find another obsession!

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 9 2010, 08:07 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 9 2010, 10:53 PM)
Thankfully I grew up with them so it's no biggie when they hang it up. I have already accepted that fact. As much as I love the band, reality has to set in at some point. Let's just hope they play as long as they can. I am content with what they have accomplished through out the decades even when the critics were out like a "pack of wolves". biggrin.gif  2.gif  1022.gif

I am still astonished that they've continued for as long as they have. Some of us remember, about 13 years ago, being fairly certain it was all over. Not that any of us would have held it against them if it had been true.

I'm also somewhat staggered by how FAST it's all seemed, looking at it in the context of album to tour to album to tour. . .it really does seem like it was just recently that I was at my first show (Signals). Then GUP with Count Floyd. . .Power Windows is REALLY 25 years old???? ohmy.gif

Time Stand Still, indeed.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Aug 9 2010, 10:29 PM)
But I have this feeling, no matter what the band says or anyone else, that the Clockwork Angels tour will be the last.

I agree.

They finish Clockwork Angels, then go on tour. That should take them into late 2011 or even 2012. Then, they'll take their usual time off. It'll be late 2012 or early 2013 before they do a new album. They will all be 60 YEARS OLD if they tour.

Geddy is 57.

Alex is 57 (in two weeks).

Neil is 58 (next month).

Do we really think that they'll be doing a full tour in three years? Neil will be the first to say, "That's it. I'm done." He has a wife and young daughter, and he'll be SIXTY-ONE. He's staying home.

I'm seeing multiple shows on the Clockwork Angels Tour, because that's going to be IT. And then I'll be sad...... sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

I've never really thought much about what it would be like if Rush retired. I would be a little sad that there would be no new stuff or tours anymore. But they left us with enough great music that they'll always be part of my life. If they decided that the tour next year was their last I'd be fine with it. I plan on seeing them once more this tour and then at least twice next year. So that will be 10 times i've seen them and i'll be good with that and the legacy they leave behind.

Archived