How did RUSH hook you?

osage2112

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had heard Rush compared to one of my favorite bands at the time, Coheed and Cambria. So I went to where I listened to all my music, Yahoo Launch, and the only video they had was the R30 Overture.

But I was hooked! I loved the opening riff to Finding My Way, and the bass and drums were above and beyond anything I'd ever seen before. I went on to buy Moving Pictures, and by the end of the summer, I owned every Rush studio album that had been released at that time, except Feedback. Snakes and Arrows would come out a few months later biggrin.gif

Hmm. I remember, back in 1994. I was just a little kid. My father had Caress of Steel, and would play the album every day in the car.

I would ask him "HEY DAD CAN WE LISTEN TO THAT RUSH GUY AGAIN".

The song in particular that I LOVED was "Fountain of Lamneth.

The rest, like everyone else, is history.

I was 14 at the time, and I decided to check out this band that my dad was always talking about. I had as much as 57,000 songs on my family's shared iTunes (which only had music on it that had been uploaded through CDs.) I searched RUSH and 2112 (the whole album) came up. I listened to all 20+ minutes of the first song and it blew my mind. I'm in the process of collecting all their albums haha.

Strange thing is, no one in my family ever owned, borrowed, stole? 2112 on CD. So I haven't the faintest idea how it appeared on my computer, but I'm so so thankful for that miracle.

Right after MP came out all the older kids in the neighborhood were talking about how cool "Rush" is. My sister got in a bunch of cassettes from the Columbia Record and Tape club (9 cassettes for one penny!), and one of them was Permanent Waves. I rotated the the two crappy speakers on my sisters stereo inward and I layed down on the floor between them (home made headphones!) and popped in the tape.

A radio station here used to play Rush a lot (once every other hour or so) and I listened to that station the most when I started at my current job (it was an active rock station, so it played almost everything that was considered rock..they tweaked their format about a year or so ago). It was Distant Early Warning that initially got m to look in to Rush as a band that I may like, so I looked up the album and listened through it.

But it wasn't until hearing Natural Science while flipping through channels...Rush in Rio happened to be playing on some channel and when I flipped to it, and Natural Science was just starting.

I was completely blown away.

and so it began.

My friend put on side 1 of All The World's A Stage and I was blown away. Bastille Day and then Anthem where the first two songs I ever heard. It was 1978 and Hemispheres had just been released, I saw it a the local record store ( The Trip) and can remember tearing the plastic wrapping off to get to my vinyl copy. I was hooked. I had purchased all six studio albums before my first show on the Hemispheres Tour.

A friend of mine in High school got me hooked on Rush. First, I loved Hold Your Fire, then A Show of Hands, then Presto (my fave).

What hooked me - the lyrics. The energy. The three guys who love to play together and who help out us fans by playing live every 2-3 years.

I like a lot of bands, and genres. But I always go back to playing my Rush albums. Energy, lyrics, context.

I just love these three guys. laugh.gif

I was probably 13? Maybe 14? I was in the car and my mom heard 2112 come on. Her at-the-time boyfriend (now husband) got her into RUSH, so she knew of them and loved them. Anyway, she told me to listen to how amazing the instruments were and everything, and told me that Neil's kit spun around. So, I listened, and I got into it. Then came the... "and the meek shall inherit the earth" bit. I thought it was over, but then it just got right back into it and I was blown away. Oddly enough, I didn't freak over his voice. Ya know, most people think Ged's either 1) a chick or 2) a guy that's just totally annoying. I, however, loved it and then became hooked to that song. When I saw my mom's boyfriend I told him and I was like, "What's that song with the numbers in it?" ... laugh.gif The song with the numbers had obviously been 2112, and after that, he gave me the Spirit of Radio: Greatest Hits disc... and I memorized all of those songs. I was hooked.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (osage2112 @ Jul 9 2010, 01:39 PM)
I can remember seeing the RUSH picture disc, and my future Brother-in-law playing it for me. He loved the tune TREES. I was less taken with it, but as HIGH SCHOOL rolled along, I had opportunity to listen to that disc as I spend more and more time with my intended.

The disc is long gone, but the hook was set back in '77...what's your story?
Osage

when i was 12 i was rummaging through my dads cassette collection hoping to find some Zeppelin, Nugent, or Sabbath something along those lines, then i came across a mixed tape with the label worn out, so i put it on and here was the exact track listing

A-side

1. April Wine-Roller

2. Zebra-Tell Me What You Want

3. 2112

4. Didacts & Narpits

B-side

1. A Passage To Bangkok

2. Something For Nothing

3. Bastille Day

4. Anthem

5. Jimi Hendrix- Star Spangled Banner

6. Frank Zappa- Rat Tomago

7. Frank Zappa- Bobby Brown Goes Down

At the time i just started playing guitar and i heard 2112 and my first reaction was holy f&*^ that was the greatest thing i've ever heard!

The guitar solo after presentation made my jaw drop, after that i was hooked, this mixed tape also hooked me on Zappa, and I still have it and listened to it regularly

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jul 11 2010, 10:48 PM)
Limelight

songs like that sometimes get overlooked by superfans like us. limelight is really an amazing song

For the longest time I didn't really like that song.

I used to flip the Moving Pictures cassette over after YYZ and then listened to the last half of the Camera Eye to the end of the album.

I WAS 13 PLAYED GUITAR IN A BAND.MY TEACHER SHOWED ME HOW TO PLAY A FAREWELL TO KINGS ON CLASSICAL GUITAR...AFTER THAT MY BEDROOM WAS WALL TO WALL POSTERS. I HAD A DIFFERENT RUSH T-SHIRT FOR EACH DAY OF THE WEEK.

3 years ago when was 10 I was playing Rock Band and I started playing Tom Sawyer and was like who is that and I looked and then I asked my mom "Who is Rush" and she said "A band from the '80s" so I listened to Rush Chronicals and was hooked and now I'm a superfan.

I remember the first time I had listened to an album was when i was hanging with a buddy andhis sister brought home Moving Pictures.

Already knew Tom Sawyer but then heard Red Barchetta and I was hooked.

But I did not become a insane crazed fan until I was in summer camp that same year and had been listening to Moving Pictures non stop. That Summer my counsler heard me humming Limelight and asked me if I liked Rush and I said hell yeah I love them. he then asked me what was my favorite album and I told him I have only heard Moving Pictures. Next day he brought me 2112, Hemispheres and Permanent Waves on vinyl and told me to listen to all three.

I went home. Opened the gatfold of 2112 and read the words and put the needle down.

That was it. I was hooked forever after engrossing myself with 2112 and later Hemispheres and Waves. Then I went out and bought Exit Stage Left and that was when I realized I wanted to be a musician.

So 2112 and Moving Pictures is what hooked me big time.

Archived