How did RUSH hook you?

osage2112

I can remember seeing the RUSH picture disc, and my future Brother-in-law playing it for me. He loved the tune TREES. I was less taken with it, but as HIGH SCHOOL rolled along, I had opportunity to listen to that disc as I spend more and more time with my intended.

The disc is long gone, but the hook was set back in '77...what's your story?

Osage

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 9 2010, 02:40 PM)
hook, line, sinker............. fly by night on 8 track.

Pretty much same here from what I remember....from what I REMEMBER of THOSE days! laugh.gif

I traded for it with my neighbor (who I just found out died last year.... sad.gif ) and the rest is history.

I heard Tom Sawyer on the Radio shortly thereafter, and found out it was the same band. Which made Exit....Stage Left my 2nd Rush album and the first I ever bought. I must have played it 300 times back and forth. I wore the tape out and had to buy another copy.

for me it was the opening riff to 2112.

I'd heard Hemispheres before that and, mainly due to the fact it was a bloody awful quality recording someone had done for my sister, I wasn't too impressed.

however, a week or so later, she came home with 2112 on vinyl and, eventually, persuaded me to give it a listen.

The rest is history

I think Trees was also the first song I listened to, after being told about Rush. At the time I thought it was... different.

But listening to the rest of Hemispheres hooked me (especially la villa), and I've been a fanatic since.

I was eleven years old and heard New World Man coming out of my clock radio. I needed to own that song. A few days later I heard Tom Sawyer and new it had to be the same band. My friend's sister told us who it was and then played Permanent Waves for us. The rest is history.

for me 2112 i remember back in i think 1990 when i was 9 listening to the cassette taope thats right cassette tape

My dad gave me an old cassette of the first half of ESL...by the time it got to Red Barchetta I was hooked. Not long afterwards, I went out and bought Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures on CD.

Around 4 years ago i heard spirit of the radio and i am a bassist and hearing the bass on that song blew me away. I couldn't get over how odd it sounded. Luckily the DJ said that was 2.gif after the song. I looked them up and realized they also were the guys who did Tom Sawyer.

The rest is history.....

Uncle bought me a Rush poster for my birthday when I was a kid. Seriously, a little kid, too young to really even be into music. But it was my uncle, and he was cool, so of course I proudly displayed the poster on my bedroom wall. When I was old enough to get a paper route and my own money, I bought Moving Pictures on casette.

That same casette hooked one of my best buds. Left my walkmann at his place in HS, a couple weeks later he was telling me how completely kick ass Rush is. Eventually he got married, it was an outdoor ceremony, they played Jacobs Ladder as she walked down the isle.

All from a poster.

Tom Sawyer was featured in the first Rock Band game. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't be on this site right now. I'd heard of the band and the song before, but never really listened to any of it. I found it interesting enough that I wanted to check out the band, and that's how it all started. It was about two and a half years ago now. So for those who say those games aren't good for anything, it at least added this one more Rush fan to the world, and I know I'm not the only one that found them this way.

Saw them live in '79

got MP in '80

met future best freind, Frank, who said no no no 2112 is RUSH

he procceded to play & explain, so I was nibbling already, but it's 2112 that set the Hook !!

It was 1989. Listening to the radio. Tom Sawyer came on and I was blown away. Unlike anything I was listening to at the time (U2, Van Halen). I was hooked (spinner-bait?) immediately.

My uncle let me make a tape-cassette copy of Moving Pictures. He also had me listen to The Spirit Of Radio. The fascination grew. That same week, I purchased my very first compact disc. It was the new Rush album, A Show Of Hands.

Having seen this coming of age in his 13 year old nephew, he decided to give me his vinyl record collection. biggrin.gif He was in the process of converting everything to CDs. This collection of his had all the good shit from the seventies (Yes, Sabbath, Tull, Floyd, etc.) and a few good albums from the early eighties. The only Rush vinyl in that box was Exit...Stage Left. Things grew very quickly from there though...

2112 came out just as I hit 13. It was the perfect theme for a teen rebelling against his parents and society, and the fact that I had just started learning to play guitar at the time made it even more powerful (the guitar playing by the waterfall was very inspirational). Anyway, I've probably listened to 2112 over a thousand times, and I'm not joking.

Archived