Rush & Springsteen

Typically when I meet a fellow Rush fan inevitably I discover we have at least a few if not several other favorite artists in common. The exception, almost always, is Bruce Springsteen. When I mention that the Boss is one of my most admired and respected musical heroes I am usually met with a reaction that ranges from passive incongruity to blatant disgust as if it is not possible to appreciate both.

I'll be the first to acknowledge the wide gulf between the boys and the Boss, style, mood, ambition, etc... But the contradiction doesn't bother me. I won't go into all the reasons why I love Rush given present company, we all know why we're here, but my fondness for Springsteen is rooted in his live performances, his desire to champion the everyday existence of people, his political tendencies and most of all his songwriting ability which is second to none. It seems to me they have more in common than not.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is anyone else a fan of both? If you share a negative view of Springsteen how does it relate to your positive feelings for Rush?

Edited by Faithless Mover

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 2 2010, 11:37 PM)
not sure there is much love for Bruce on here.....IMO, he is the most overrated musician that I can think of...

Overrated as a musician, absolutely, but not as a songwriter.

I am definitely a fan of both artists. In some ways Bruce Springsteen is the exact opposite of Rush. He often goes for simplistic instrumentation, writes songs that are crafted for the everyday working man specifically, while Rush goes for very complex instrumentation and writes alot of songs about very complex topics that can divide alot of people. They are both good in their respective ways (of course Rush is better) but I can see why alot of Rush fans would dislike the big simple minded juggernaut of most of Bruce Springsteen's music.

aw the Boss a few times,was a good show but of late he has lost me. Would goto 2.gif over the Boss any time.

I've heard he is fantastic live.

I like his radio hits alright and respect that but otherwise, he's just OK in my book. But hey, there are a lot of music artists I love that others don't so -- all the power to ya yes.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jul 3 2010, 07:27 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jul 3 2010, 09:18 AM)
Nope, can't stand him! 062802puke_prv.gif

I feel the same way

Blarfx2

I'm a fan of the Boss. Like the boys he puts a lot of effort into a show and plays for a good couple of hours. Superb songwriter and the simplicity of his music is fine with me.

Don't worry about other people's musical opinions. Enjoy what you like and give everything a chance - even Genesis, but you'll be disappointed!

Bruce's very early stuff from the mid-'70s is pretty cool. Songs like "Born To Run" and "Rosalita" are pretty adventurous and boisterous. After that he mellowed out and started playing it safe, and I can't listen to that stuff at all.

Anyone want to play "Six Degrees to GG" with this?

Let me help.

Bruce did a video for "Born in the USA."

Courteney Cox was in it.

Courteney Cox is from Birmingham, Alabama.

So am I.

BAM. Didn't even take six.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Faithless Mover @ Jul 2 2010, 09:34 PM)
Typically when I meet a fellow Rush fan inevitably I discover we have at least a few if not several other favorite artists in common. The exception, almost always, is Bruce Springsteen. When I mention that the Boss is one of my most admired and respected musical heroes I am usually met with a reaction that ranges from passive incongruity to blatant disgust as if it is not possible to appreciate both.

I'll be the first to acknowledge the wide gulf between the boys and the Boss, style, mood, ambition, etc... But the contradiction doesn't bother me. I won't go into all the reasons why I love Rush given present company, we all know why we're here, but my fondness for Springsteen is rooted in his live performances, his desire to champion the everyday existence of people, his political tendencies and most of all his songwriting ability which is second to none. It seems to me they have more in common than not.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is anyone else a fan of both? If you share a negative view of Springsteen how does it relate to your positive feelings for Rush?

NO WAY IN HELL!

I like "Born To Run." That's it. Sorry. I can't stand his voice or his politics.

He has great energy though during his shows and I love his drummer Max!

I don't mind Bruce, mostly for the nostalgia, but I'm more of a Tom Petty guy I think.

Early Springsteen. "I wanna die with you Wendy on the streets at night in an everlasting kiss..." GREAT song!

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jul 6 2010, 08:11 PM)
Early Springsteen. "I wanna die with you Wendy on the streets at night in an everlasting kiss..." GREAT song!

You think Earl ever sings that part to his lovely wife?

Being born and raised in NJ, I can appreciate Bruce. I enjoy most of his 70's music and some beyond. I've seen him a number of times and he does not disappoint live. One of my really good friends is a big fan of both Rush and Bruce. But I'll take my prog to the Boss any day.

QUOTE (spacement @ Jul 7 2010, 12:11 AM)
QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jul 6 2010, 08:11 PM)

You think Earl ever sings that part to his lovely wife?

Being born and raised in NJ, I can appreciate Bruce. I enjoy most of his 70's music and some beyond. I've seen him a number of times and he does not disappoint live. One of my really good friends is a big fan of both Rush and Bruce. But I'll take my prog to the Boss any day.

trink39.gif Absolutely!