I like the Big Wheel

Soni

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daveyt @ Jun 23 2010, 04:46 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 23 2010, 02:15 PM)
I like it alot. it would be better with some ooooohs and aaaaahhs.

they're in there!

you're right! I had to listen again laugh.gif

and I actually don't mind them in this song.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 23 2010, 03:31 PM)
BIG WHELL RULES!!!

http://www.pedalcarzone.com/cgi-bin/image/templates/Big_Wheel_Pic-DRV2-PCZ.jpg
http://sarahquigley.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/marx-big-wheel.jpg
http://blog.craigbaldo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/BigWheel.jpg

It's a shame they don't make it in my size anymore....I used jam on that thing! yes.gif

Bastige!!!!!

Beat me to it.

It's not a bad song. I think it's one of those Rush songs made during the thin-sounding HYF/Presto/RTB period that didn't come across great on the album, but might have new life breathed into it with the band's current heavy sound. "Dreamline," "Ghost Of A Chance" and "Mission" are good recent examples.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 23 2010, 09:01 PM)
It's not a bad song. I think it's one of those Rush songs made during the thin-sounding HYF/Presto/RTB period that didn't come across great on the album, but might have new life breathed into it with the band's current heavy sound. "Dreamline," "Ghost Of A Chance" and "Mission" are good recent examples.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed Ghost of a Chance when they played it last time... it was really good. Mission Ive always liked.

You know what I would like from that era... Territories.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 23 2010, 09:22 PM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 23 2010, 09:10 PM)
"Dreamline," "Ghost Of A Chance" and "Mission" are good recent examples.

What? Those songs were always good.

I didn't mean to imply those songs were only so-so as presented on their respective studio albums. They are indeed good songs, but they didn't sound so good in their studio versions -- like they weren't living up to their full potential because of the production and the gear they were using at the time. Hearing them played live with the boys' current heavy sound punched those songs up a couple of notches.

or...they just sound better live.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 23 2010, 09:50 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 23 2010, 09:22 PM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 23 2010, 09:10 PM)
"Dreamline," "Ghost Of A Chance" and "Mission" are good recent examples.

What? Those songs were always good.

I didn't mean to imply those songs were only so-so as presented on their respective studio albums. They are indeed good songs, but they didn't sound so good in their studio versions -- like they weren't living up to their full potential because of the production and the gear they were using at the time. Hearing them played live with the boys' current heavy sound punched those songs up a couple of notches.

or...they just sound better live.

They always did IMO because live things sound less produced and heavy...

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Jun 23 2010, 10:07 PM)
I like it...

Well, I was only a kid..... I guess it's the way the big wheel spins.
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz77/tanhuntland/BigWheel025.jpg

Funny...the seat on our big wheel broke too.

I'm going to roll the bones here ( facepalm.gif ) and make an epic bump on this thread.

I have completely fallen in love with this song over the last couple weeks. I've been listening to it endlessly. So many life lessons packed into one set of lyrics. And despite the somewhat dated production, there's some tight, mature musical stuff going on here. I can't believe I didn't even notice it until now.

Absolutely agree! It has one of my favorite lyrics ever: "... I was lined up for glory but the tickets sold out in advance..." LOVE it! And, I have to admit, every time I hear "... sometimes the odd number wins..." I always think "I hope so!" wink.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Dec 20 2011, 03:40 AM)
I like it too. Heck I like Face Up for that matter.

Same here. I dig You Bet Your Life as well.

While Roll the Bones is hardly the strongest Rush album, the only track on it that has never really done much for me is Heresy.

Edited by Cyclonus X-1

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Dec 20 2011, 03:30 AM)
I'm going to roll the bones here ( facepalm.gif ) and make an epic bump on this thread.

I have completely fallen in love with this song over the last couple weeks. I've been listening to it endlessly. So many life lessons packed into one set of lyrics. And despite the somewhat dated production, there's some tight, mature musical stuff going on here. I can't believe I didn't even notice it until now.

goodpost.gif

Definitely the hidden gem of Roll The Bones...that and Heresey.

I have always dug that tune and always felt RTB was a far better record overall than it's older brother Presto.

The song writing overall was much stronger

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Dec 20 2011, 04:38 AM)
"... I was lined up for glory but the tickets sold out in advance..."

One of Peart's best lines ever.... new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Witty, ironic, poignant.....a LOT of people could use that line as their life story.....is that a good or bad thing??? confused13.gif confused13.gif