OFFICIAL Caravan and BU2B reaction thread

Presto-digitation

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caravan reminds me of Virtuosity a bit, especially the main riff/verse sections. The opening reminds me of the beginning to Witch Hunt, in some weird way.

I especially dig the instrumental section.

"Exercise in self indulgence" FTW!!!

BU2B sounds familiar but I can't put my finger on it. Though not musically, the spirit of the song reminds me of Freewill. (i.e. Breaking free of entrenched dogmas religious or otherwise...)

Both songs are awesome, though BU2B sounds a little 'mainstreamy' to me.

EDIT: I meant Virtuality from Test for Echo.

Edited by AddictsNParents

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 1 2010, 01:13 AM)
It always takes awhile to really assess Rush songs and properly compare them to what came before.

That said, having listened twice to each song online, pretty damn great. Can't wait to hear these in CD quality! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif

I think the gripes about poor MP3 quality are more accurately gripes about listening to the songs through lameass computer speakers! Do you have an MP3 player you could transfer them to, or could you burn them to CD? I think if you bring them to a source with better speakers, you'll like what you hear.

I've been listening to the MP3 player with headphones, and it sounds great; just as good or better than "CD quality." And I've also plugged the MP3 player into the car stereo system and can blast it through car speakers - sounds even better. The sound quality is there; you just need speakers where you can hear it.

Like em both alot.

Wont argue with naysayers about what they dont like though.

Chances are we just dont like the same types of things.

laugh.gif

I must have really bad hearing. I keep reading posts that say how much better these two songs are than anything they've written in years - specifically from VT and esp. S&A. Are they really THAT much different than One Little Victory, Peaceable Kingdom, Armor & Sword, Far Cry or Spindrift? What am I missing? Don't get me wrong, I like 'em - a lot - and can appreciate the fresh "new" arrangements, but (paraphrasing), "Thank God, they're back!" and "This is SO much better!" Really? Sounds like Rush since Counterparts to me!

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 1 2010, 11:51 AM)
Liking BU2B, dont like Caravan at all. Sounds very odd, no melodies, lyrics sound like they're shoehorned into there, very awkward.

Whilst I think Caravan is excellenmt musically, I do hear you on ther vocal melody.

Although the "shoehorning" isn't nearly as bad as on some recent efforts it is still there, and I wish they'd addressed that a bit more thoroughly, as they seem to have fixed just about everything else.

Loving them both. They're classic Rush all over. BU2B is thematically similar to Freewill which has always been a defining song (lyrically) for me from Rush.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 1 2010, 06:03 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 1 2010, 01:13 AM)
It always takes awhile to really assess Rush songs and properly compare them to what came before.

That said, having listened twice to each song online, pretty damn great.  Can't wait to hear these in CD quality! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  applaudit.gif

I think the gripes about poor MP3 quality are more accurately gripes about listening to the songs through lameass computer speakers! Do you have an MP3 player you could transfer them to, or could you burn them to CD? I think if you bring them to a source with better speakers, you'll like what you hear.

I've been listening to the MP3 player with headphones, and it sounds great; just as good or better than "CD quality." And I've also plugged the MP3 player into the car stereo system and can blast it through car speakers - sounds even better. The sound quality is there; you just need speakers where you can hear it.

I agree. Sounds clear to me, both in cans and in the car.

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jun 1 2010, 07:29 AM)
I must have really bad hearing. I keep reading posts that say how much better these two songs are than anything they've written in years - specifically from VT and esp. S&A. Are they really THAT much different than One Little Victory, Peaceable Kingdom, Armor & Sword, Far Cry or Spindrift? What am I missing? Don't get me wrong, I like 'em - a lot - and can appreciate the fresh "new" arrangements, but (paraphrasing), "Thank God, they're back!" and "This is SO much better!" Really? Sounds like Rush since Counterparts to me!

Something to remember -- this is the first time they've written a full-band extended instrumental break (as opposed to just a guitar solo) since "Mission" on HYF, which was 23 years ago. That is a BIG deal. Also present are tempo and time sig changes (a prog thing that has been largely missing from their recent work), and the use of the "flourish" keyboards, not heard since T4E. These are things a lot of people have loved about Rush, and they're glad to hear them again.

WOW! Caravan is a 5:45 roller coaster ride! I haven't even listened to BU2B yet, I'll get to it soon (I hope). Can't wait to hear this live. Now all I need to do is find some kick ass tickets to the Milwaukee show!

On to BU2B!

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 1 2010, 07:22 AM)
On BYOB Alex's tone sounds like GUP in places. Cool!

Love these new songs and now the wait for the new album will drive me crazy.

2.gif

No lie brother. No lie. I'm jazzed about these songs, but equally depressed at the notion of it perhaps being 6, 8, 10 more months + before the rest of it drops!! UGH.

I tell you, the other 10 songs have a lot to live up to.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 1 2010, 07:25 AM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 1 2010, 07:22 AM)
On BYOB Alex's tone sounds like GUP in places. Cool!

Love these new songs and now the wait for the new album will drive me crazy.

2.gif

No lie brother. No lie. I'm jazzed about these songs, but equally depressed at the notion of it perhaps being 6, 8, 10 more months + before the rest of it drops!! UGH.

I tell you, the other 10 songs have a lot to live up to.

Word.