What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Terry Pratchett - Raising Steam

LOVE the Discworld books. I'm re-reading Men At Arms right now.

I somehow missed this when it came out and recently discovered it existed. And I recall hearing that there is one last Discworld book that will be published soon, so I"ll need to read that one as well. "Collect the entire set!"

To be honest, Raising Steam is the only Discworld book I didn't really care that much for. It didn't seem to have the same feel to it, almost like someone else wrote it. Other than that, I can read the series over and over. My books are getting pretty worn. :)

• Like 1

I'm all over the map: Throne of Fire audio (love Riordan's sense of humor); Fair Game by P. Briggs (re-reading then on to the new one); finished Shakespeare Saved My life (mixed bag-enjoyed the novelty of prisoners enacting the Bard in modern day slang but not the downers in it); Magnificent Devices light steampunk series re-read on my Nook (starting #5). :popcorn:

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/plantfan40/Unknown-3_1.jpeg

Born with Teeth: A Memoir by Kate Mulgrew I'm just a little bit into it but its fascinating. She has a wonderful writing style and i didn't know she left Iowa at only 17 to go to New York to study acting. Can't wait to read the rest!

• Like 1

Redwall- Brian Jacques

Excellent young adult fiction. I will grow up one day...just not yet!

• Like 2

Redwall- Brian Jacques

Great books! I had the first book for a long time and never really read it until a couple of years ago. There's not a bad book in the entire series.

• Like 2

Redwall- Brian Jacques

Great books! I had the first book for a long time and never really read it until a couple of years ago. There's not a bad book in the entire series.

Never read any beyond the first, but I love the first so I bought the first three and am getting stuck in! Very underrated, in my opinion. In school, I was the only person who read them that I knew of!

• Like 2

Redwall- Brian Jacques

Never read any beyond the first, but I love the first so I bought the first three and am getting stuck in! Very underrated, in my opinion. In school, I was the only person who read them that I knew of!

I think they get better as they go along. That can be pretty typical for a good book series as the author gets used to the characters and writing in that world. But I really love these. I have the entire set.

• Like 1

Storm Front - Jim Butcher.

I was recommended this series by an employee at a Barnes and Noble in my area. I'm about 100 pages in and I have to say I'm hooked. The Harry Dresden character is great.

• Like 1

Redwall- Brian Jacques

I think they get better as they go along. That can be pretty typical for a good book series as the author gets used to the characters and writing in that world. But I really love these. I have the entire set.

I hope I feel the same way...I am in a rut right now where the only books I ever want to read are Harry Potter...which I could easily do haha.

So decided if I love my childhood so much tackle this series for once! (Meds rob me of concentration...so I tackle books that are not too complex. Gets frustrating as I could read War And Peace in a week but watcha gonna do? lol)

Redwall- Brian Jacques

I hope I feel the same way...I am in a rut right now where the only books I ever want to read are Harry Potter...which I could easily do haha.

So decided if I love my childhood so much tackle this series for once! (Meds rob me of concentration...so I tackle books that are not too complex. Gets frustrating as I could read War And Peace in a week but watcha gonna do? lol)

Have you ever read The Chronicles of Narnia? They were the first book series I ever read as a kid and they still hold a dear place in my heart.

• Like 2

Redwall- Brian Jacques

Have you ever read The Chronicles of Narnia? They were the first book series I ever read as a kid and they still hold a dear place in my heart.

Yes I have!

Lion, Witch, Wardrobe was the first novel I ever discovered by myself, and it gave me the reading bug a good five years before Potter! Great series, I want to read The Chronicles Of Prydain as well.

• Like 1

Iris Murdoch- The Bell

Murdoch's prose affects me in a way that almost no one else can. She is on the very short list of my favourite novelists of all time- up there with F. Scott Fitzgerald and Saul Bellow (though she is completely different from either of those).

Hunter S. Thompson - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Seen the film many times. Thought I'd give the book a try.

• Like 3

C.S. Lewis - The Screwtape Letters

Keeping it King's X related, I see!

• Like 1

I've read the book several times, and never seen the film!

If you've never read any Hunter Thompson before...you are in for an experience, to be sure.

• Like 2

His political coverage happens to be my favorite. But the references may escape those outside of the U.S., I'm not sure...unless you happen to be an officianado of American politics/elections in the 1960s and '70s.
  • Like 1

If you've never read any Hunter Thompson before...you are in for an experience, to be sure.

The movie is actually really good and definitely worth watching. Johnny Depp lived in HST's basement for a while and did a great job learning Hunter (if that makes any sense). Terry Gilliam's direction is excellent and it ultimately stayed pretty true to the book.

Edited by Justin Case
  • Like 3

The movie is actually really good and definitely worth watching. Johnny Depp lived in HST's basement for a while and did a great job learning Hunter (if that makes any sense). Terry Gilliam's direction is excellent and it ultimately stayed pretty true to the book.

Yeah, from what I've read so far, it's very close to the book.

As your attorney, I advise you to see the film.

• Like 2