What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

The General in his Labyrinth, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Trying to recoup some brain cells after that Lincoln impeachment novel...

The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America by Thomas King

This sounds interesting. Fiction or completely nonfiction?

The Red and the Green, by Iris Murdoch.

She wrote twenty-six novels, and there are only three or four that I've never read- this is one of them. A fictional story, taking place in Dublin in 1916, around the Easter Rebellion. I just started it yesterday...looking forward to it.

The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America by Thomas King

This sounds interesting. Fiction or completely nonfiction?

Although I'm still in the early stages of this book, it's certainly interesting! I would say that "historical narrative" seems to be an appropriate description. I'm not sure if you're familiar with any of King's fiction, but if so, you would recognize his compelling voice even in this account of history. It strikes me as non-fiction presented by a masterful storyteller--it definitely doesn't read like a history textbook.

• Like 3

Still reading The Stand. Taking my time, and loving every word of it!

Not sure I want to see the TV adaptation, the book comes across vividly enough a it is.

So clear, in fact, that I can picture scenes in my head as clearly as if I had actually been there myself.

I really hope this book stays strong to the finish.

• Like 1

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

Third in the series of the Dresden Files. I'm enjoying them so far. I love finding a new series to read.

Clockwork Angels: The Novel!

Any good?

^^Yes! Full of references to other Rush songs.

That's one of the worst parts about the book, other than the actual story itself.

• Like 1

^^Yes! Full of references to other Rush songs.

That's one of the worst parts about the book, other than the actual story itself.

OK started it.

Its...well...

Awful

The reason to read it is so you better understand the story behind the CA lyrics. You don't read it for the literary quality. Which is unfortunate :(

• Like 2

Awful

The reason to read it is so you better understand the story behind the CA lyrics. You don't read it for the literary quality. Which is unfortunate :(

I see!

Ok, I will revisit it and once finished, return to the album. I wouldn't mind exploring the concept in more detail.

Awful

I suppose if someone weren't a real Rush fan and didn't know all the lyrical references maybe it wouldn't read as hokey. I was so disappointed after reading the first chapter. I made myself read the rest of it hoping it would get better but unfortunately it never does. It does help to understand the story behind the lyrics. That's all I can say about it. Fortunately the book is short so it doesn't take very long to finish.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1