TIME MACHINE OPENER

1974FAN

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 19 2010, 02:03 PM)
If we're going on a Time Machine, I'd love the opener to be Bastille Day.

Hells to the yeah, man!!

Go back in time to the first live album and have some 70's FM DJ go old school with "Please welcome to the stage... RUSH!!"

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say...

Open with Far Cry. Then, the video screens show some sort of cool "time warp" thing...going back to 1974. Then into..

Working Man

Finding My Way

By-Tor & The Snowdog / Anthem

Fly By Night

Bastille Day

The Necromancer / Fountain Of Lamneth

2112 Overture / Temples

Something for Nothing

Hemispheres Prelude / Armageddon

La Villa Strangiato

Jacob's Ladder

Closer To The Heart

-Intermission-

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ w/ Drum Solo

Limelight

The Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

....and, i don't know for the second half of Set 2, lol tongue.gif

I don't think people seriously think things through. There won't be any songs that have pyro or lasers to open the show, the first part of the show is in broad daylight at most venues. That's another reason they won't (and shouldn't) open with something like 2112 which would kill the intensity of it. Most of their shows are in amphitheaters now, people seem to still be picturing them indoors. It fundamentally changes what you can do. Someone else mentioned Xanadu in another thread. That would suck being played in the glare of the sun with almost no light show while a huge part of the crowd is still looking for their seats. I wish they still played indoors, the shows were far more intense and loud generally.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 19 2010, 09:45 PM)
I don't think people seriously think things through. There won't be any songs that have pyro or lasers to open the show, the first part of the show is in broad daylight at most venues. That's another reason they won't (and shouldn't) open with something like 2112 which would kill the intensity of it. Most of their shows are in amphitheaters now, people seem to still be picturing them indoors. It fundamentally changes what you can do. Someone else mentioned Xanadu in another thread. That would suck being played in the glare of the sun with almost no light show while a huge part of the crowd is still looking for their seats. I wish they still played indoors, the shows were far more intense and loud generally.

That was me! And I wholly agree with you. That's why it needs to be indoors for it to work haha. But it would be a pretty cool opener theoretically, wouldn't it?

That was me! And I wholly agree with you. That's why it needs to be indoors for it to work haha. But it would be a pretty cool opener theoretically, wouldn't it?

laugh.gif

We're following each other from thread to thread!

Totally. I think if it were indoors there would be all kinds of great options. I just don't want one of those "payoff" songs coming off like it's being played in the park on a sunny day. They deserve better presentation in my opinion.

Honestly, playing shows outdoors wouldn't bother me so badly if they started an hour or so later. That would help a lot.

I actually like the R30 overture and would like to see something like that as an opener, providing it was composed of songs which they would otherwise probably never play in their entirety, like Bastille Day. I loved hearing a bit of that on R30, but unfortunately, it would probably be painful to hear Geddy try to sing it if they did the whole song.

My money is on Far Cry as the opener, and that is ok with me, anyway. I love that song.

My money is on Far Cry as the opener, and that is ok with me, anyway. I love that song.

Yeah, we're all just guessing but that would be my best bet as well. It does have the explosive pyro but since it's more of a fireworks kind of thing it would still work ok in daylight. Or they may just omit that.

I suspect they will open with Time Stand Still. Just a gut feeling.

However, I do agree with Snowdog that one needs to take into consideration songs earlier in the set are going to be ones without pyro or special effects.

what if the opened with a new song? theres a rumor about them recording this track "caravan." not sure if this an instrumental or not since they would rarely slot a new instrumental from the current album as an opener.

but i'd imagine a desert scene with joe camel (to replace the babdy carriage and vapor trails dragon) dragging on a cigarette and then the usual fireworks, etc. RUSH SPONSORED BY CAMEL CIGARETTES! smile.gif

There's a lyric in Anthem -- Yet it was for me not you, I came to write this song...

Creative artists should serve themselves first, at the creation stage... However, at the performance stage commercial artists like rock bands need to balance their needs with those of their audience. Especially with $150 lodge tickets. Rush generally does a good job of doing this. They were proud of S&A and played a lot of it on the last tour. Two songs too many IMHO.

I've been to more than 20 Rush shows and the opening songs were Spirit, TS, and Limelight.

The Spirt of Radio is more than a Rush classic, it's a rock anthem. In the 80s it was always on in the top ten on the KLOS Memorial Day 500--usually next to Won't Get Fooled Again and Stairway to Heaven.

Tom Sawyer was the perfect opener for Vapor Trails. I remember sitting in the light rain at Irvine Meadows, having my doubts about going to 'Rock' concert again. Then the lights went down, the Stooges song came on, followed by the first chord of TS... I leaped out of my seat, every great memory of Rush came flooding back.

R30 - back to Spirit. Then closing with Limelight.

S&A - I believed they opened with Limelight as a way to connect the tours and a comment on where they are as band. Still struggling with creation of music vs. the live performance--one more creatively satisfying than the other.

Time Machine - a medley of songs from the debut album 2.gif Honestly, I have no clue. But Far Cry, for me, would not give the same physical rush feeling as Spirit, TS, or Limelight. **and now that I checked the set list archives, I see that I was at shows they opened with Big Money and Force Ten. Far Cry would feel like one of those -- Rush trying to redefine Rush with the big songs from the last album.

My point is, Rush has always opened with what I thought was the perfect song for the time and the tour... I have faith they will hit this mark again.

But seriously, Bastille Day in Kimonos would kick ass.

QUOTE (quickfree @ Apr 21 2010, 10:50 AM)
what if the opened with a new song? theres a rumor about them recording this track "caravan." not sure if this an instrumental or not since they would rarely slot a new instrumental from the current album as an opener.

I dunno...I think as an opener, you want some sort of classic track that gets everyone fired up.

Plus, I know when it comes to the newest material, Geddy usually likes to announce it first and let people know what they are about to play. It is because of this, that I definitely don't see them starting with a new track.

I think if they ever opened a concert with an instrumental, it would need to be YYZ. But since they are doing the whole MP album together, it is unlikely that this will happen.

But yeah, an opening track NEEDS to be a fan-favourite, or classic track. I fully expect them to do this, which is why I actually don't see Far Cry being the opener like some people think it will. Sure, it kicks ass, but it's still very new in the catelog.

The idea of them starting with Bastille Day is pretty awesome. Hey, how about starting with ANTHEM...I like that idea! trink38.gif

My hopes for an opener:

Hemispheres Prelude

Bastille Day

The Camera Eye (It won't happen, but the buildup is so EPIC)

Big Money (I know many would disagree)

Analog Kid (Kick things off with a bang!)

NOT Limelight

Ok, My two cents.

Based on previous comments.

2112:

Simply not going to happen since the T4E tour they have been playing it tuned down a whole step to enable Geddy to Sing it.

The only other track they have transposed to this tuning is Circumstances.

Like most bands Rush like to hit the audience with a one/ two so opening with 2112 would mean a pause afterwards while Ged and Lerxt changed Guitars.

Far Cry:

Won't happen,Lots of vdeo and pyro, more likely to end the first set, or open the encore.

Time Stand Still:

Good song theme wise but not exactly a hi energy track to open the show, maybe third or fourth

So what are we left with, SOR has used as an opener far too much, Big Money could feasibly be brought back, but I'm going to go with

Freewill, Its uptempo, a radio staple and the casual fan would recognise it

I think Jacob's Ladder would make a nice opener with the slow buildup.

In case you haven't heard, apparently Jacob's Ladder its officially coming back, at least according to Alex in an interview it is:

Rush Is a Band Blog -

Alex Lifeson discusses Rush documentary in new interview

http://www.rushisaband.com/display.php?id=2135

Edited by quickfree

Time Stand Still open? Marathon close? God that sounds dull...forgive me. Opening songs must be explosive as should the closer-TS worked well in both slots as would TSOR. For a while they would open the show with the first cut of the third album in the series BD, TSOR, TBM, FT, D...Limelight was a strange opener/closer for me. I think Animate would make an interesting opener, but my personal choice would be to go back to TSOR without the stooges thing