VH

One of those 6 bands, imo.

Not sure which one, though...

Edited by go2wrk@95974

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Aug 18 2011, 06:54 AM)
seriously this thread is just arena rock bands for dads

I'm OK with that. Van Halen is an excellent band. Rush probably qualifies as arena rock, too. And I'm a dad. I like Camaros, too.

1022.gif

QUOTE (toscanobarga @ Aug 18 2011, 11:32 AM)
Better American bands than VH:

Metallica
The Ramones
The Replacements

Hanson

QUOTE (toscanobarga @ Aug 18 2011, 10:32 AM)

Metallica
The Ramones
The Replacements

cool10.gif

QUOTE (Stickman @ Sep 18 2011, 03:35 AM)
Who's ready for the new Van Halen album?  1022.gif

It's already done but won't be released until next year. huh.gif

And there is no word of any tour. hotdog.gif

The VH camp is pretty quiet regarding any news. wtf.gif

I'm just wondering how it will sound. Somebody that happens to know Wolfgang (I really wish it was Michael Anthony) heard the new album and said the stuff reminded him of vintage VH.

We'll see.

Edited by Mr. Krinkle

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Aug 18 2011, 04:12 AM)
If we're talking greates American individual musicians, Bob Dylan, Little Richard and Chuck Berry need mentioning. But since the thread says "band" arguements can be made for Van Halen, TP & The Heartbreakers, Allmans, Bruce and the E Street Band and The Dead but IMO The Eagles get the title as America's greatest band ever.

EDIT: Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Metallica and Kiss deserve mention as well but I'm still gonna say The Eagles.

The Eagles are great ! They put out a country song("How Long") a few years back then nothing new...what happened to them. ?

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ May 13 2010, 09:44 AM)
VH without DLR sucks balls.

This.

I also must say that Y&T must get an honorable mention on this thread.

I know not many on here love this once great American rock band but they were one of the best back in the late seventies and early eighties too!!!

Just get:

"YESTERDAY & TODAY"

"STRUCK DOWN"

"EARTHSHAKER"

"BLACK TIGER"

"MEAN STREAK"

Your ears will melt off your fukking head! 1022.gif

Eddie Van Halen is one of the best guitarists of all time, but the bullshit that was pulled on Mike Anthony killed all my respect for him and his brother Alex. They're the ones who pull the strings, and Ed's behavior is another point for a theory I have about people who get cancer and survive it. but enough said about that.

I love both eras of Van Halen, and despite people wanting to revise history, bringing in Sammy Hagar saved that band, because he had the singing chops to match Eddie's guitar work.

As for the complaints about them playing the old songs as compared to bringing in Sammy's well known *two* songs... really? That's a weak argument, because One Way to Rock was almost a new song with Eddie playing lead, and twin guitar harmonies. Watch Live Without A Net or listen to Right Here, Right Now and you will know what I mean. And by the way, they play a few of the old songs on RHRN.

If you want to ignore Hagar's contributions, thats fine, even though you are doing a disservice to both yourself and Van Halen from 1986-1996, and then 2003-2005.

Just like 99.7% of the other VH fans, I thought getting Cherone was a HORRIBLE idea.

QUOTE (Rendclaw @ Sep 20 2011, 04:41 AM)
Ed's behavior is another point for a theory I have about people who get cancer and survive it. but enough said about that.

Interesting....I know 2 people that this applies to, my mother included, and they both turned very bitter afterwards and weren't really the same person. They don't treat people with the same respect they used to...

Is your theory along those lines?

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Sep 20 2011, 02:38 PM)
Ed's behavior is another point for a theory I have about people who get cancer and survive it. but enough said about that.

Interesting....I know 2 people that this applies to, my mother included, and they both turned very bitter afterwards and weren't really the same person. They don't treat people with the same respect they used to...

My mom's a cancer survivor and she is and always has been one of the sweetest people I've ever known. Not perfect mind you, but a real angel. Glad she stayed the same considering your post LeaveMyThingAlone.

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Sep 21 2011, 11:29 AM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Sep 20 2011, 02:38 PM)

My mom's a cancer survivor and she is and always has been one of the sweetest people I've ever known. Not perfect mind you, but a real angel. Glad she stayed the same considering your post LeaveMyThingAlone.

There is no 100% rule about stuff like this. She may be the rule, she may be the exception.

I've had more than my fair share of experience with recovering alcoholics, who exhibit the same kind of transformation in many instances. In my early 20's I waited tables at Denny's. On the graveyard shift, once or twice a month, an AA meeting would show up. We used to draw straws to see who would serve them because nobody wanted to do it. They were the most self-important, entitled, rude, demanding bastards you've ever seen. There were other people that would come in regularly that we knew to be in AA that acted the same way.

I've known a few that were AA folks and were great people (my ex-girlfriend's parents, for example), but the majority have been intolerable. I'm not bashing AA as a concept, I think it's great that people get cleaned up because the alternative is worse.

But still.

As for the complaints about them playing the old songs as compared to bringing in Sammy's well known *two* songs... really? That's a weak argument

No it's not. I have seen Every tour with Sammy more than once. They did almost no old V.H.

5150 Tour - I won't count You Really Got Me because it's a cover song. They did.....Panama and Ain't Talkin Bout Love

0U812 - Panama , Ain't Talkin Bout Love and Runnin With The Devil

F.U.C.K - Panama , Ain't Talkin Bout Love and Jump

Balance - Panama and Ain't Talkin Bout Love

That is a bad joke. Sammy joined V.H. and did not want to sing old V.H. songs . You can like the albums, but the setlists were a joke. Over the years i saw them do way to many cover songs and not do old V.H. songs. That was my big problem with seeing with Sam . Shame on Ed and Al for letting Sammy write the setlist for those tours and screwing the old school fan. They almost completely ignored 6 albums worth of songs .

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 20 2011, 12:53 AM)
QUOTE (Khan @ Aug 18 2011, 09:35 AM)
QUOTE (toscanobarga @ Aug 18 2011, 11:32 AM)

Metallica
The Ramones
The Replacements

Hanson

Naw, man. Nelson. Nelson fkin' ROCKED - way better than Van Halen.

icon_alienjig.gif

Well that was a brave statement. tongue.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 22 2011, 02:00 PM)

As for the complaints about them playing the old songs as compared to bringing in Sammy's well known *two* songs... really? That's a weak argument

No it's not. I have seen Every tour with Sammy more than once. They did almost no old V.H.

5150 Tour - I won't count You Really Got Me because it's a cover song. They did.....Panama and Ain't Talkin Bout Love

0U812 - Panama , Ain't Talkin Bout Love and Runnin With The Devil

F.U.C.K - Panama , Ain't Talkin Bout Love and Jump

Balance - Panama and Ain't Talkin Bout Love

That is a bad joke. Sammy joined V.H. and did not want to sing old V.H. songs . You can like the albums, but the setlists were a joke. Over the years i saw them do way to many cover songs and not do old V.H. songs. That was my big problem with seeing with Sam . Shame on Ed and Al for letting Sammy write the setlist for those tours and screwing the old school fan. They almost completely ignored 6 albums worth of songs .

Yeah, that is really ridiculous to think that they left out basically everything from such an amazing catelog.

But to be fair...I'll bet if Sammy was singing more D.L.R. stuff, he'd be taking flack for not doing it right or as good as Dave.